Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to serve with beer sausage?

Posted by dgkritch (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 13:12

I need some inspiration!!

I'm making braised beer sausage for dinner.
What would you serve with it?

I've got lots of potatoes, saurkraut and a well stocked basic pantry.

Help me!!

Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to serve with beer sausage?

I'm kind of boring, what I usually do is slice up some cabbage and saute it until tender, add the saurkraut and sausage to that and heat until cooked and hot through. Mashed potatoes on the side and maybe some good rye bread (although I generally save the bread for sandwiches out of the leftover sausage).

Probably glazed carrots or sweet potatoes on the side to add some color and some sweet to the sour.

Annie

o

This post has me craving potato pancakes, which then makes me crave white asparagus with hollandaise. I miss German food. I like Annie's idea for the glazed carrots, too.

o

Sweet and sour braised red cabbage.....and garlic mashed potatoes...or Roesti potatoes.

o

Ohhhh, you mean food! I was going to suggest a Belgian style pale ale or a Bock Lager. Silly me. Then if it is food you want I would roast up sweet potatoes, regular potatoes and some onions in olive oil with seasonings. Rye bread is a good suggestion by Annie. Love rye with sausage. NancyLouise

o

I'd probably make German Potato Salad, goes great.

Nancy

o

I kind of went a different direction. Got too busy to check back in before time to cook.

Braised the sausage in beer. Sweated some onion, garlic, celery and bell pepper. Removed the sausage, added the veggies and some tomato powder, worcestershire sauce, sweet balsamic, mustard, sugar, etc. to make a chunky BBQ sauce and served with roasted potatoes and broccoli salad.

Yum.

Stuffed.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm sure there's more sausage in my future!! :-)

Deanna

o

The next time I make sausages, I'm making this recipe posted on the Cabbage Cook-a -long. It really grabbed me as the perfect accompaniment to assuages.

Haluski (Pan-Fried Cabbage and Noodles)
Servings: 4

4 cups wide egg noodles
8 TBSP butter
2 cups sliced onions, about 1/8 inch thick
6 cups cabbage, sliced thin
Half teaspoon salt
pepper

Directions

Cook egg noodles according to package directions, then drizzle with a bit of oil to prevent the noodles from sticking together and set aside.

While noodles are cooking, melt butter in large deep skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and saute, stirring occasionally for about 5 to 10 minutes, or until softened and just beginning to turn golden.

Add cabbage to skillet, stirring well to incorporate with onion, and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Cover, reduce heat to low, and let simmer until vegetables are soft. Turn heat back to medium, add cooked noodles, salt and pepper, and stir well until noodles are heated though.

Adjust seasoning if necessary and serve hot.

o

Oh, that DOES sound good! I'll be trying that one for sure!
Off to read the rest of the cabbage thread too.

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here