SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

Mom's Meatloaf

triciae
14 years ago

I've been trying to duplicate Mom's meatloaf my entire adult life. I realized some years ago a large part of my problem was the type of ground meat plus the filler ratios but still could never get it just right.

Last night, I made meatloaf just as good as Mom's. It's probably slightly different but the end result is just as good. Thought some might be interested since I don't recall seeing these particular ingredients used on the CF for meatloaf/meatballs before.

Mom's Meatloaf

5 Dinner Rolls (these were homemade 1.5 ounce rolls made with milk, eggs, & potatoes)

1 Can Evaporated Milk

1/2 Cup Sour Cream

1 Egg, whisked

2 lbs. 80% Ground Chuck (actually it was like 1.87 lbs.

2 lbs. Ground Pork

1 Small Spanish Onion, chopped fine

2 Cloves Garlic, minced

1/4 Cup Worchestershire Sauce

1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

1/4 Cup Ketchup

Salt & Pepper (I used about a teaspoon of each)

Tear the rolls in small pieces & pour the evaporated milk & eggs over the rolls. Add the sour cream, stir & allow to sit about 15 minutes for the bread to absorb the moisture.

Place all other ingredients into bowl, add the bread/milk mixture. Gently mix with a wooden spoon or your hands (not in a FP). Divide into sizes appropriate for your family. I made 5 meatloaves & froze 4 for another time.

I topped ours with a ketchup-based sauce but it wasn't the sauce that made the difference. I'm sure it was the evaporated milk & the sour cream. The rolls ingredients probably also contributed to the finished meatloaf as opoposed, for example, of using unenriched bread. Gosh, it was so good...moist, tender, flavorful.

Anyway, anybody still struggling with their meatloaf mixture...try adding sour cream. I doubt Mom used Worchestershire Sauce but I don't care...as far as I'm concerned...mission accomplished.

/tricia

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus