Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Food Processor Question

Posted by paprikash (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 12:53

I've had my KitchenAid food processor for quite sometime now and am just starting to use it. I think I bought just about every grating disc and chopping disc I could for it. Anyway, I would like to start grinding my own pork and beef (especially in light of "pink slime"). Which disc would you use for grinding with a food processor or should I spring for a stand alone meat grinder? I have a heavy duty mixer with every attachment imaginable, too, but I keep the mixer down South and the food processor up North and since someday both kitchens will become one I really don't want to buy another heavy duty mixer.

Thanks for any advice,
Andrea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Food Processor Question

I have an old Cuisinart, but I use the standard metal blade and cube the meat, semi-frozen, too. Run small batches. I think Cooks Illustrated did meat grinding in an article (or TV) on best hamburgers.

o
RE: Food Processor Question, ps

PS, just give it a couple of pulses, check it, then a couple more. Do not just turn it on and let it run. Pulse pulse check, repeat as necessary.

o

I also use the standard metal food processor blade with semi-frozen chuck roast that I've cubed. I purchased the 13-cup Kitchenaid FP last fall mostly because we've been grinding meat. I can easily grind a full pound at a time. To get it started, use the pulse feature. Then, I put my KA on "Slow" & it's done in about 30 seconds, maybe a bit less. Fast, easy, doubt you'll ever buy ground meat again. The Cuisinart does not have a "Slow" speed so be careful not to over process & make mush.

We like the texture of home ground so much better in everything from tacos, meatloaf, burgers, to casseroles.

/tricia

o

I also use my food processor to grind meat, I use the semi-frozen meat/metal blade/pulse method as described by sushipup.

Elery and I did 25 pounds of Italian sausage and ground all the meat in the food processor. I do have a meat grinding attachment for the KitchenAid, but never use it, I prefer the food processor.

o

Thanks, ladies - you just saved me a trip to Bed Bath & Beyond because I thought I needed a meat grinder. Now I'm looking forward to using my food processor for this. I've kind of semiretired so I want to start making bread and grinding meat and doing a lot of things I never had a chance to do before.

Andrea

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here