Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the difference between this beef???

Posted by eileenlaunonen (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 1, 10 at 12:22

Im not to familiar... so I figured someone here could explain the difference between Chuck Blade Steak,Beef Chuck Stew Meat,Beef Chuck Roast. Are they the same but cut/butchered differently. My local store has all on sale for 2.69 a pound. Im cooking for a crowd and wanted to make Steak Pizziola my SIL Italian family uses chuck for this dish oppose to the Rib Eye which is way too expensive when cooking for a large crowd. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the difference between this beef???

Well, I have no idea what steak pizziola is, so I can't conjecture about what would work in that, but I can tell you the difference in your "chucks", at least what the difference would be here in Michigan if I were getting beef cut.

Chuck is chuck is chuck, kind of, at least it all comes from the same part of the steer, the front shoulder section.

Chuck blade steak is thinner, has that bone, and is close to the ribs, making it a little more tender than other chuck cuts. Sometimes stores cut something called "chuck eye" out of this piece because it is more tender. Chuck roast is a thicker piece of meat, usually, i.e., it's a roast and not a steak. It's a bit further "forward" on the shoulder and not quite as tender. Beef chuck stew meat is simply any part of the "chuck" or shoulder, cut into cubes of a good size for stew. Frankly, they are usually the chunks that are left after the steaks and roasts are cut although they can also be the smaler pieces of steak or roast that aren't pretty enough for packaging and sale as another cut.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Annie

o

I had lunch at Bravo Italian Restaurant today and one of the items on the menu was Steak Pizzaiola. However, I ordered Asparagus Frittata and a house salad instead which was wonderful. I had never heard of the steak dish until I saw it on this forum last week. Just thought it was an interesting coincidence.

jude

o

ANNIE: Thank you ...your info was very helpful & appreciated

o

Eileen, you are so welcome.

Jude, asparagus frittata sounds really good, I'm waiting impatiently for it to be asparagus season here.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here