SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

No-knead bread problem

2ajsmama
10 years ago

I've been making no-knead bread for a few weeks now, the boules done in cast iron or Corning come out fine, but even though I cook to same internal temp (190-200) the loaves done in nonstick loaf pans (baked inside a preheated Romertopf at 450 for 30 minutes, then taken out and finished on the rack until at least 190 and a nice color, though this doesn't get really brittle crust) end up with a thin "raw" condensed layer near the bottom.

Am I not letting this rise enough in the pan (usually 1 hr)? Should I be taking it out of the clay baker earlier? I am using the covered baker to get the oven spring from the wet dough, the nonstick loaf pan is just to shape it for sandwiches.

I use 2C AP KAF, 2C Bob's wheat, heaping 1/4 tsp yeast, 2 tsp salt and 2C water, let sit for 6-24 hours until bubbly and doubled before putting in pan to rise again. I am not punching it down or folding it on a floured surface, just scraping it in the loaf pan (I have 2 big pans, each 9-9.5 x 4-4.5 interior, so I don't think 4C of flour is too much for 1 loaf). Sprayed with Pam since the dough is so wet it sticks to nonstick.

Maybe this is too much water? But 12oz of water to 3C of flour works great for the boules...

I bought a loaf of sandwich bread this weekend (first in a month) until I can get this figured out, but family prefers homemade. TIA

Comments (22)