SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susytwo

Cured/Brined salt beef shelf-life?

susytwo
10 years ago

A couple of year's ago, a friend of ours from Canada's east coast invited us for a traditional Jig's Dinner, made with brined navel beef, sold in little pails.

My son has been asking for me to try to make it at home, so this weekend, I looked for a pail of Newfoundland salt beef, and bought the first one I could find. The grocery store had them stacked on a regular shelf.

Then, the next day, in another store, I found the same brand of salt beef, packaged the same way, except theirs was in the cooler.

When I got home, I inspected the package I bought at the first store, and it says "keep refrigerated".

Now I'm concerned that the pail I bought is not safe to use. I have no experience with this product at all, so I'm not sure if it means keep refrigerated after opening, or all the time? I don't know how long the product was on the store shelf. I know that salted meat was popular before refrigeration was available, and there are no best before dates anywhere on the package, so I'm confused about its longevity.

Does anyone have any insight? I'm probably going to return the product to the store, and buy the refrigerated one at the other store unless I can get some confidence in its shelf life.

This post was edited by susytwo on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 12:19

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations