SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Portable induction burner arrived yesterday

Lars
11 years ago

I can't find the thread where I said I was going to buy this, although I did find a lot of info on this thread started by Cathy, and I should have read that one more closely before making my purchase.

So far I have not used my induction burner because I do not have a single pan that will work with it - that is, except for my 7" French omelet pan, which is extremely shallow, and I let that one touch the burner only briefly while making crepes. I cannot imagine making crepes on the induction burner, and so I will have to buy new pots/pans to use with this burner, and I have absolutely no space to store them. I may have to replace one of my stock pots with an induction pot, and this means I will have to get rid of a perfectly good pan because of storage. I made pasta last night and was hoping to boil the water on the induction burner. However, the water came to a boil in about 12 minutes (and it was a huge amount) on my gas burner, and that amount of time is perfectly acceptable. I heated the sauce in the MW because I had some already made that was stored in a jar, and I just put the whole jar (without lid) in the MW. I heated bread in the toaster oven to have with the ravioli, which was from TJ's and had been stored in the freezer for almost a year! It had an artichoke filling and was still good despire the long time in the freezer.

I just remembered that I can use cast iron with this burner, and so I guess I'll stick with those pans for now and put a paper towel under them so that I don't scratch the surface. I was a bit bummed that none of my other pans work. I do not expect to use this burner very much, but I will consider taking it outside to cook or to use to keep something warm, if that is an option.

The burner goes up to 1800 watts, which seems like a lot, and the instructions say to have it on a dedicated circuit, which was not good news. I see so many things about it that I do not like that I do not expect it to make a dent in sales of gas ranges any time soon. I have yet to see a cooking show on TV that uses induction.

Besides a stock pot, what pan should I buy for this burner? I will use my cast iron when possible, but I guess I will need a large sauce pan and possibly a frying pan, but the one I want is cast aluminum and not compatible.

Lars

Cathy said that she keeps a magnet in her purse to test pans when shopping, but I will not have to do this because my purse has a magnetic clasp, and I can use that.

This post was edited by publickman on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 12:23

Comments (29)