SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Freshly roasted coffee

annie1992
11 years ago

I haven't been doing much cooking lately and haven't eaten anything picture worthy in a while, so I had to go play in the kitchen this morning.

Yesterday Elery and I took a drive to Grand Rapids, went to the Home and Garden show, a side trip to the Mediterranean Market. I found something they've never stocked before, green coffee beans in the bulk section. $4.99 a pound for my choice of Brazilian or Columbian. I ent with Columbian but in retrospect the Brazilian bin was half empty (or half full, if you're an optimist, LOL), while the Columbian bin was full nearly to the top. Or maybe the Columbian is more popular and they had to refill. Oh heck, who knows, but I went with the Columbian.

A recent issue of Cook's Illustrated had instructions for roasting your own coffee using a hot air popcorn popper, so I set up my equipment:

Instructions told me that I could roast half a cup, maximum. I think I'll go with a scant half cup next time, they didn't appear to rotate well. Three and a half minutes into the cycle, I got "first crack", very audible.

Two minutes later I was carefully watching my beans for a "medium" roast, I didn't want dark roast and the instructions said it was easy to burn the beans, resulting in bitter coffee.

I dumped the beans into a frozen metal colander to cool quickly and stirred them around until they were just warm. I may roast the next batch a bit darker:

Instructions also say to wait 12 hours minimum before using the beans, so I'll have them tomorrow morning at breakfast, I never make coffee in the evening. I'll update this then.

I was surprised that the coffee actually kind of puffed up or "popped" during roasting, my half a cup of green beans became nearly a cup of roasted ones.

Annie

Comments (53)