SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaun_gw

Your Most Loved Simplest Recipe.....

shaun
16 years ago

I often wonder why I go to the extremes I go to cooking for my family when in all reality, my boys enjoy the simple things in life.

This got me to thinking about some of your simple recipes that your family love and I thought it might be an interesting read to see your recipes.

So? Will you post your most loved/simplest recipe?

Here's mine and dont laugh ........

Mexican Hotdogs

1 pkg hotdogs

1 jar Salsa

Put hotdogs in skillet or sauce pan, pour salsa over top and heat thru. Serve on hot dog buns.

OMG why do they love this so much??????????

Looking forward to seeing your recipes.

Comments (75)

• dgkritch
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

DA@#%%%&MN YOU SHAUN!!!!

Becky, it's my ex-husband's baby picture.

I just took a big gulp of coffee when I read that!!!!
    Just about powerwashed my monitor!!

Deanna

• ann_t
    16 years ago

The most loved would be a Roast Chicken Dinner. Nothing more simple.

Ann

• Related Discussions

half sour dill pickles the simplest way

Q

Comments (10)
    I am always happy to hear that people get enjoyment out of my help. Thats why I make an effort to really be active here where I am apprieciated. You will now know that the 2 first jars are vinegar 'topped off', and hae beein made space in the fridge. Had to readjust the fridge shelves for those tall 1/2 gallon jars. Aslo, Mrs. Wages, semes to be offering a few 'refrigerator type' pickle mixes, that need no heat process, but instead do pickling with mostly vinegar instead of a salt water brine. They also have a pickled beet and dilly bean pickle mix now too. Canning Pantry offers these. After the summer and all the heat and busy, I hope to do some Canadian bacon again, as well as a batch of pepperoni, salami, some beer bratwurst, and cheedar cheese sausgaes. If they get me off the steroids and my sense of taste and smell can come back. I expect that most of what I had left in the freezer should be cooked by the end of summer. Tonight, I was actully able to sip lemonaid and almost tasted tart. A friend asked me if I would like to go out for a steak at the Texas Road House. I had to decline, even knowing how tempting it was, as it just wouldn't taste like a steak to me. As you can see, another sleepless night too.. hate being sick.
    ...See More

Most Dangerous Cake Recipe

Q

Comments (15)
    Yes, I love Nutella too, although the Nutella ice cream link was what really intrigued me, along with the tip of putting milk in your nearly empty Nutella container and shaking it, for Nutella milk. Oh yeah, the Princess and Bruvver will be fighting over that! Annie
    ...See More

What's your fastest and most delicious dish this year?

Q

Comments (38)
    Tricia, my heart aches for your loss and that of the other Newtown parents, siblings, grandparents, cousins, and friends. Strawberry, thanks for posting in memory of Charlotte. Here is my "go-to" comfort food which was passed down from my mother, herself a dedicated sixth grade school teacher (who, when the Memphis school bus companies refused to pick up the school children one afternoon in the wake of violence and tensions surrounding the assassination of MLK, personally drove students to their homes - right into the housing projects as close to their door as she could get, when needed, even when one of her students warned her to simply drop her off a long way away.) Tuna Casserole: Boil 12 oz. of wide egg noodles for 7 minutes. Meanwhile, throw together 2 cans of drained tuna in water, 1-2 cans of cream of mushroom soup - with 1/3 can of milk. Place a bit of the sauce in an 11 x 7 casserole dish, add the drained noodles, and pour the rest of the mixture on top. Top with shredded cheddar to taste (I use most of a two cup pkg.) Bake at 325 for 25 min. I serve with black-eyed peas and a toss salad. Kids and adults usually rave over this simple dish. This post was edited by jubileej on Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 9:02
    ...See More

RECIPE: Ginger your Empanada recipe

Q

Comments (12)
    I think this is what you had. I remember you liking them. Here they're called Pates but they are really our version of an empanada. VIRGIN ISLAND SPICY MEAT PATES (16-20 appetizers) Pastry: 2 cups flour 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 cup butter, chilled 1 tsp pepper 5 TBL cold water Filling: 1 lb extra-lean ground beef 1 large onion, minced 1 large green bell pepper, minced 1/2 to 1 habanero pepper, seeded & minced 1/2 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs 1/4 cup pimento-stuffed green onion, minced 6 oz canned tomatoes, drained & chopped 4 TBL apple cider vinegar 1 tsp crushed oregano 1/2 tsp allspice Salt & pepper to taste 1 cup sharp grated Cheddar Sift the flour, salt & pepper into a large bowl. Using 2 knives or a pastry cutter (I used a processor), cut the butter into the flour until coarse crumbs form. Work in the water & chill in the refrigerator 1 hour. In a large skillet, cook the meat, onion, garlic & peppers. Drain & rinse the meat in a collander using hot water. Most of the fat will run off, leaving the flavor. Stir in breadcrumbs, olives, tomatoes, vinegar, herbs & spices. Preheat oven to 425°. On a well-floured surface, roll out the dough & cut in 4" circles. Spoon filling into the centers, top with grated cheese & pinch shut with wet fingers. Bake on a lightly greased baking sheet until golden, about 15 minutes.~~A Taste of the Caribbean Let me know if this isn't it.
    ...See More
  • caliloo
    16 years ago

What a hilarious thread! I C&P all the recipes so far.. they sound great!

Here are a couple that my family loves....

HASH BROWN BRUNCH CASSEROLE

1 2-pound package frozen hash brown potatoes, unthawed
    1 10 3/4-ounce can cream of celery soup, undiluted
    3 cups (packed) grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 12 ounces)
    1 cup sour cream
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    1 6-ounce can french fried onions

Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine first 5 ingredients in large bowl. Transfer to 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Bake until top is slightly golden, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Sprinkle with onions. Bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
    Serves 12 normal people or 6 at my house.

Rice Krispies Chicken

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in thirds
    2 cups Rice Krispies
    seasoning - garlic powder, salt, pepper
    Pam or melted butter if I am feeling indulgent

Put Krispies in a pie plate, mix in seasoning to taste. Spray chicken hunks with Pam (or dip in butter) and turn in seasoned Krispies. Spray again (or drizzle with left over butter). Bake at 400 for 15 - 20 min depending on thickness.

Roast Chicken

1 5 - 7 lb Perdue Oven Stuffer Roaster
    1/4 cup Kosher Salt

Rinse chicken and remove icky stuff. Spread salt all over the outside, putting it on thick! Roast at 350 for 20 min per pound. Let rest for 10 min before carving.

I will think of more

Alexa

• donnar57
    16 years ago

I used to make this when my kids were smaller. One time I posted it on an RV'ers email list - and within 3 weeks, I got about a dozen compliments on the recipe from those that had tried it. This included a District Attorney from CA!

WE'RE HAVING BEEFARONI

1 box Kraft Macaroni and Cheese
    margarine as called for on the box
    milk as called for on the box
    1 lb hamburger
    2 cans tomato sauce
    onion and garlic powder

Prepare the macaroni and cheese as called for on the box. (BTW, I don't always use Kraft for this recipe, though we prefer Kraft to other boxed M&C "just plain".)

Brown 1 lb hamburger in fry pan, drain well. Sprinkle with onion and garlic powder to taste. Stir well.

Add the already-prepared macaroni and cheese to the ground beef mixture. Stir well. Pour the tomato sauce over the macaroni, cheese and ground beef mixture, Heat till thoroughly warm. Serve with a salad and (if you like) homemade bread.

DonnaR/CA

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

trixietx, we call that Dump cake here. It's wonderful.
    My fav? Chicken, teriyaki baste and glaze, grill.
    Actually, most things grilled are better to me than any other.

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

Hot Chicken Dip

1 large can white chicken
    1 can cream of chicken soup (I know, I know...)
    1 8oz container sour cream
    Crushed Ritz crackers
    1/2 stick melted butter
    1 Box Bugles

Mix first three ingredients and pour into casserole. Place crushed Ritz Crackers on top and pour 1/2 stick melted butter over it. Bake at 350 until bubbly. Serve with the Bugles to use for dipping. The bugles are very important to this recipe. It's not nearly as good with any other thing.

-------------------------------------------------------

Chicken Salad

1 large can white chicken
    1 very small onion
    Mayo to taste
    Ritz Crackers

Mix first three ingredients. Serve on Ritz crackers. Not the same on any other cracker. You need a Ritz!

• pat_t
    16 years ago

IDIOT PORK CHOPS

2 sticks butter, melted
    2 eggs, beaten
    Italian bread crumbs
    6 pork chops

Mix the melted butter and the eggs being careful that the butter is not so hot it will cook the eggs. Dip your pork chops in the butter/egg mix, and then the Italian bread crumbs, and then dip it AGAIN in the butter/egg mix and Again in the Italian bread crumbs. You have to dip it in each twice as it is not as good if you only do it one time. Bake the pork chops at 350° F. for 40 minutes to 1 hour depending on the size of the chops.

EZ BEEF HOT DISH

2 lb. ground beef
    1/2 cup onion, chopped
    1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
    1/2 cup celery, chopped
    1 (10 3/4-oz.) can tomato soup
    White potatoes
    1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
    Milk
    Salt and pepper

Brown the beef and some of the chopped onion on the stove. Put it in a 13-x 9-x 2-inch pan. Sprinkle the chopped onion, green pepper, and celery on top of the beef in the pan. Mix tomato soup in a bowl with 1/2 can of water and pour over the beef mixture. Peel and slice enough potatoes to fill the pan to the top. Mix the cream of mushroom soup with 1/2 can of milk. Pour it over the entire dish. Season the top with salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees for 2 hours. Serves how many: 7 to 10.

Comments:
    You can feel free to add other veggies: carrots, cauliflower, yellow squash. Add whatever your family enjoys. This dish is worth the effort it takes to prepare the veggies and the potatoes.

Here's one suggestion: Cut the vegetables the night before and store them; then all the preparation you will have to do is to clean and slice the potatoes. (The potatoes brown if they are stored overnight unless you put them in salt water). This recipe has been a family favorite for years.

Recipe from Disneys Family Fun magazine.

EZ CREAMY CHICKEN WILD RICE SOUP

5-2/3 cups water
    1 pkg. (4.3 oz.) long grain & wild rice mix
    1 envelope dry chicken noodle soup mix
    1 celery rib, chopped
    1 medium carrot, chopped
    1/3 cup chopped onion
    2 cans (10-3/4 oz. each) cream of chicken soup, undiluted
    1 cup cubed cooked chicken

In a large saucepan, combine water, rice with contents of seasoning packet and dry soup mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in celery, carrot, and onion. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in chicken soup and chicken. Cook 8 minutes more or until the rice and vegetables are tender. Yield: 5 servings.

Recipe from Quick Cooking magazine, Jan/Feb 2002 issue.

BBQ KIELBASA BITES

1 ring Kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch slices
    1/3 cup ketchup
    1/3 cup Dijon mustard
    1/3 cup orange marmalade

Combine sauce ingredients & pour over cut slices of meat in casserole dish. Bake at 350° F. for 20 minutes.

• pkramer60
    16 years ago

Easy, simple and very yummy....

Cooked macaroni
    cubed ham
    chopped onion
    Parmesan cheese

Add as much as you like in a big bowl, mix well, place in a shallow buttered baking dish, top with more parmesan, spray with cooking spray and baken at 375 until top is browned, about 1/2 hour. Serve and fight for the really browned corners of cheese.

Peppi

Peppi

• annainpa
    16 years ago

Cucumber Salad

Haphazardly peel a cucumber after slicing off both ends.
    Thinly slice one green onion, including part of top.
    Grind black pepper until tired.
    Add a bit of salt.
    Add vinegar--plain old Heinz apple cider will do.
    Taste--add more salt if necessary.

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

A very quick dessert one of my daughters makes from apples and oatmeal.
    She uses one of those

to core and cut the washed apples within seconds.

Ingredients:
    -------------
    Several apples according to size of casserole dish, peeled or unpeeled, cored and cut into wedges.
    When I made it I used 3 or 4 Granny Smith apples.

Topping:
    -----------
    Mix together with hands:
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup rolled oats
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    1 cup flour
    1/2 cup margarine or butter - cut into above mixture with 2 knives
    2 TBS butter or margarine to dot over fruit

Method:
    ------------
    1) Preheat oven to 350F. Core and cut apples into wedges (peeled or unpeeled). I prefer peeled when there's time to do so.
    2) Mix dry ingredients and roughly cut in 1/2 cup margarine or butter with 2 knives.
    3) Put fruit in buttered casserole and spread mixture over, dotting the rest of the butter or margarine on top.
    4) Bake 45 minutes or until bubbly and brown. Serve with cream or vanilla ice cream.

NOTE: My addition is 1 teasp cinnamon, 1/2 teasp nutmeg and 1/2 teasp allspice to the dry ingredients.

SharonCb

I could eat a whole bowl of this in hot weather. It's delicious! Especially if you can get the English Salad Cream for the dressing.

1/2 head lettuce : romaine or a crisp iceberg is even better
    8 oz (about 213 grams) tin of pink salmon - reserve juice
    Heinz English Salad Cream - this is best but if not available use your favourite light mayonnaise
    ground black pepper
    chives & flatleaf parsley for sprinkling on top
    dash of paprika (optional)

1) Tear lettuce into small pieces over a salad bowl. Flake in the salmon, reserving the juice from the tin.

2) Mix a few drops of salmon juice together with some salad cream in a small dish, stir and add to lettuce and salmon, mixing enough to coat to your taste, grinding pepper in as well.

3) Add some chopped parsley and top with more parsley and a few chives.

Note: You may want to add the rest of the salmon liquid from the tin to the salad to make it even more juicy. I always do.
    Be sure the lettuce is nice and crispy.

SharonCb

• bubbeskitchen
    16 years ago

I'm smiling all the way through this thread. Everyone here renders such elaborate mostly-from-scratch meals all the time that I'm amused by the boxed ingredients above. Love it!

Here is one that I haven't made since I'm married. (DH doesn't like pork other than bacon or a ham sandwich)

Pork Chops with Apples

Brown thick, loin pork chops in a skillet. Place in roasting pan.
    Slice unpeeled apples (MacIntosh works well) in half crosswise. Core.
    Put 1/2 on top of each chop, skin side up.
    Fill hole with brown sugar.
    Bake until tender.
    Remove chops and add 1/2 pint sour cream to juices.
    Pour sauce over chops.

Serve with potatoes and veggie of choice.

Another is Chicken and mushrooms

Roll chicken drumsticks in melted butter, put in baking pan, pour rest of butter over chicken
    Season well
    Bake until browned, turning once
    Sprinkle with Worchestershire
    Add canned sliced mushrooms and cook until done
    Add, heated and drained canned peas if desired and serve over wide noodles or other starch.

• stacy3
    16 years ago

great thread Shaun - thanks for starting it.

You gave refreshed meaning to LOL with that comment about your ex....hee hee hee!

Stacy

• stacy3
    16 years ago

omg I just read it again and laughed - again. pig - dirty old man....rofl!!!

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

Mushrooms and cream are a natural pairing.

Elegant Chicken for Two

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded slightly
    ¼ cup all purpose flour
    1 cup sliced crimini mshrooms
    4 Tablespoons grated onion
    Olive oil
    ¼ cup heavy cream
    salt and pepper to taste

Dredge chicken breasts in the flour and saute in oil until browned. Remove chicken from pan and put in a buttered baking dish. Add mushrooms and onions to skillet and saute a minute or two. Add cream and stir to deglaze the pan. Pour cream mixture over chicken and bake at 325 for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breast.

• goldgirl
    16 years ago

Shaun - thanks so much for posting this!!!!!!!

• steelmagnolia2007
    16 years ago

Back in the day, having more than 15 or 20 minutes to prep everything was a real luxury. Here are some quick dinners my kids loved...

CRANBERRY CHICKEN

Pour a can of whole-berry cranberry sauce, an 8-oz. bottle of Italian salad dressing and a packet of dry onion soup mix into a glass casserole dish. (If you're cooking a lot of chicken, double up on the sauce ingredients.) Stir well to mix. Add boneless, skinless chicken breasts, turning to coat all over with sauce. You can let it marinate awhile or bake right away at 350 for about an hour.

MUSTARD CHOPS

Slather chops all over with mustard. (Regular yellow hot dog stuff.) Sprinkle generously with Cavender's Greek seasoning or one of McCormick's Grill-Mate blends. Cook on the grill. (Not very good on the stovetop.)

CHICKEN RONDELE

Pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts until very thin. (The guys always loved doing that part for me. They'd beat the bejabbers out of the chicken. lol) Spread one side of each breast half with a generous layer of herb-and-garlic Rondele. (If you're not familiar with it, that's a soft, spreadable cheese similar to cream cheese. It's usually stocked in the deli department of the grocery. Alouette is another brand name. They come in several 'flavors'.)

Beat 2 eggs with 2 tablespoons of milk. Roll chicken up with cheese on inside. Dip in egg wash and then roll in breadcrumbs seasoned with salt and pepper. Place seam side down in a baking dish. Melt a stick of butter; stir in a sprinkling of garlic powder to taste. Spoon butter over each piece of chicken. Bake at 350 about 45 minutes, until done.

EASY POT ROAST

Buy a package of McCormick's pot roast seasoning. Stick a boneless chuck roast in the roasting bag that comes in the pkg. Scrub and coarsely chop as many potatoes and carrots as the bag will hold. Add one peeled, quartered onion. (Even if you don't like baked onion, it adds a lot of flavor. You can always fish it out before serving.) Mix seasonings with water according to pkg. directions and pour over roast. Tie, cut slits in bag and cook as directed.

FAVORITE SMOTHERED HAMBURGERS

Form 2 lbs. ground beef into patties. Cook over medium heat in a very small amount of oil until well-browned on both sides. (You don't need to cook completely -- just get the outside good and brown.) Peel and slice 1 or 2 onions; sprinkle over meat. Combine 2 cans Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup (NOT cream of mushroom!) in a mixing bowl with 1 soup can of water, stirring well to mix. Pour over patties. Spoon sauce over any pieces of meat or onion that didn't get coated. Put lid on pot and simmer gently until hamburger is thoroughly cooked.

ITALIAN CHICKEN

Dip chicken breasts in Italian salad dressing, then dredge in grated Parmesan. Bake at 350 until done. If the cheese starts to get too brown before it's done, cover with foil.

• craftyrn
    16 years ago

Saute thin sliced cabbage & onions until barely soft-- toss in cooked noodles & sliced kielbasa-- stir until warm.

A big favorite of my kids & grandkids-- fry cubes of potaoto-- add beaten eggs & chopped ham-- toss into cooked potatoes, stir until eggs are cooked.

One of my "go to quick meals "mix up a tuna salad-- make homefries from leftover boiled or baked potato--serve with canned creamed corn.

Another fast one :
    Diane's Home Cookin Chapter: Beef & Veal

Salisbury Steak With Onion Gravy
    ================================
    1 egg
    1 can condensed French onion soup
    1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    pinch pepper
    1-1/2 pounds ultra-lean ground beef
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    . In a large bowl, beat egg. Stir in 1/3 cup of soup, bread crumbs, salt
    and pepper. Add beef; mix gently. Shape into six oval patties.

Brown in a skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side.
    The meat doesn't have to be done, but should be approaching "rare"
    (they will cook a little more later on). Once they're done, remove and
    set aside; discard drippings.

In the skillet, combine the flour and water until the mixture is
    smooth; add the ketchup, worcestershire sauce, mustard and remaining
    soup, then bring it to a boil. Cook and stir for about 2 minutes, then
    return the patties to the skillet. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or
    until meat is no longer pink.

Exported from Home Cookin 5.5 (www.mountain-software.com)

• dinkans
    16 years ago

I don't eat hot dogs. . .but my 3 boys (and husband!) were always happy to eat CROCKPOT HOT DOGS on days I left town to shop. (In fact, one of my boys requested this recipe after he moved away to college.)

CROCK POT HOT DOGS
    1 package (or more) hot dogs (or sausage)

Place hot dogs in crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 3-5 hours. (Do not add any liquid; dogs will cook in their own juices.) Serve on buns with your favorite condiments.

• bunnyman
    16 years ago

Beans & hamburger has become my pot luck dish by request at work. Most everyone loves it and picks it out from a huge spread of choices.

Beans... either baked or pork & beans
    hamburger
    brown sugar

Cook burger until done and drain grease. Add beans and sugar to taste while it gets hot. Done.

Dress it up if you like with onions, molasses, maple syrup, lean cooked bacon. Different beans and sugars for variation or to make do with what you got. Turkey burger for heart patients. Very popular with teenagers as it is very calorie dense and filling. B&B and veggie for complete "meal". Glass of milk really sets it off.

: )
    lyra

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

Barbecued Beans and Sausage

2 cans (15 to 16 oz each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
    2 cans (15 to 16 oz each) black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 large onion chopped (1 cup)
    1 cup barbecue sauce
    ¼ cups packed brown sugar
    1 tablespoon ground mustard
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 ring (1 lb) fully cooked turkey smoked sausage or 1 ring fully cooked turkey kielbasa

Mix all ingredients except sausage in slow cooker. Place sausage ring on bean mixture. Cover and cook on low heat setting 5 to 6 hours.

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

Big bowl of fresh strawberries
    Small bowl of sour cream
    Small bowl of brown sugar

Dip strawberry in sour cream. Roll in brown sugar. Eat. Repeat.

• aprilflower
    16 years ago

Hope it's ok if I pop in here. I usually "live" over at the KT but DM sent me over here to check this thread.

All of the suggestions look like they'll taste just fine, but last night I made the French Spaghetti - OH MY was it good!!!! Definitely going to be a family favorite, son and spouse are already asking me when I can make it again. Since there were no left-overs, lol, I'm thinking it'll have to be soon.

Thanks to all for posting such delicious and easy-looking recipes!

april

• pump_toad
    16 years ago

Salmon and Rice Main Dish Salad
    l-1/2 cups cooked rice
    1 small can red salmon,drained
    3 or 4 tablespoons green pepper
    2 tablespoons onion
    2 tablespoons of lemon juice
    4 or 5 tablespoons celery
    salt and pepper to taste
    mayonnaise
    Pour ingredients into bowl, mix lightly with mayo
    Serve on lettuce leaf

As you can tell this is not for a large family but is nice for one or two people.
    Lois

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

steelmagnolia that recipe for Chicken Rondelle I have made many times and my family loves it. I got that recipe off of the BHG Food Board many, many years ago from a member named Kelly.

julier too funny that your husband makes that too. Good recipes do make the rounds throughout the years!

I agree with the others that stated that the simpliest and BEST is throwing something on the grill with just salt and pepper or a good roast chicken in the oven. Can't ever beat that.

• Patsyptrsn
    16 years ago

I love this thread, I garden and in the summer one of the kids favorites is mexican summer squash. Sorry I do not know how to make this look like a recipe. Saute an onion, green pepper, a yellow squash, a zucchini and a hot pepper. slice or chopped up, cook till just about done add a chopped up tomato, cook 5 more mins. top with grated chedder cheese. The kids will still look in the frig in the summer and heat up the whole bowl if they find it. Another 1 is a after holiday quiche... use leftover stuffing as a crust pat into pie pan put in oven for 10 minutes just to get a little crunch to it. Add chopped up turkey and grated cheese mix eggs with a little milk pour over and bake till done.

• granjan
    16 years ago

Ruthanna you beat me to it! Totally wonderful and the big bowl of strawberries is so tempting and beautiful.

Wrap a date in a half piece of bacon and broil.

Throw fresh figs on the grill and turn till the juices start caramelizing. Cut into pieces and add to a tossed salad or put out on a platter with fresh goat cheese and toasted walnuts.

• triciae
    16 years ago

Oh granjam, you're playing with my heart with that grilled fig thing...

Fresh figs are the single most missed food item from my home state of CA! Rarely are they available here because figs don't ship well but when I can get them...they're $1 EACH!

/t

• fearlessem
    16 years ago

Ok, one more to add here... Embarassingly easy but so good...

Beef Stroganoff

2.5 pounds beef stew meat
    3 cans reduced salt cream of mushroom soup
    1 packet liptons onion soup mix
    2 soup can's worth of cheap red wine.
    1 Bag of egg noodles, cooked.

Mix all this together in a dutch oven. No need to brown the meat, just try to ignore how disgusting it looks! Cover the pot and put in a 350 oven for at least two hours, until the beef is very tender... Add the egg noodles in, stir, and let them sit for a bit to soak up the sauce. This gets better and better in future days, as the noodles get gooeyer with the sauce... Mmmmm!

Emily

• lowspark
    16 years ago

This is known around our house as "Ben's Favorite Dinner":

Throw two 10 oz boxes frozen chopped spinach into a large pot o' water. Bring to a boil. Throw in a pound of noodles (I prefer extra wide egg noodles but any kind you have on hand will do.) Cook till noodles are done. Drain. Add a bunch of shredded cheese. Cheddar, Jack, Mozz, or whatever! Mix in some cottage cheese and serve.

• cookingrvc
    16 years ago

Milk-braised Pork Loin

I cut a pork loin roast (bones in) into double chops, brown them, then braise in two cups or so of milk(enough to come up the sides of the pork about one-third)until they are fork tender (careful turning them) and the milk turns a dark golden brown and forms lumps (I hate using the word 'clots' so we'll say 'lumps). About 2 hours on the stove or in a 350° oven with the lid slightly ajar part of the time.

Remove the pork and keep warm, and turn up the gravy, adding some Wondra flour (or other thickener). Reduce to desired consistency and serve. yum

Sue

• cookingrvc
    16 years ago

Trixietx...

We call that Dump Cake. I made it so many times during the few weeks after my BIL died 5 years ago, that I've now been banned from making it.

Still got a case of canned pineapple though.

Sue

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

These are great! Does that dump cake really bake? You just pour the dry cake mix without mixing?

My new easy-peasey side dish is spaghetti with bread crumbs. Cook spaghetti as usual (don't use angel hair), in the meantime, get some olive oil in a saucepan good and hot, add bread crumbs (I use panko) and stir until golden brown. Drain noodles and place in a serving bowl. Dowse with good quality olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the bread crumbs and toss. Serve immediately. I also add different things such as chopped kalamata olives, chopped fresh herbs and garlic. Next I'll try adding lemon zest and juice.

• trixietx
    16 years ago

Gina, the Dump cake or Queens cake comes out of the oven more like a cobbler or really a crisp, not like a cake cake! Does that make sense? I know some people melt the butter and pour it on, but I just slice it thin and dot the top. Try it!

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

You want baked beans easy, maybe not so fast but easy! This recipe is so good and yet so easy, 5 minutes prep! Don't need to tell the kids about the limas, they just blend in.
    Throw this together, even the day before and serve with pan fried ham steaks and slaw.

Baked Beans

1 Can Kidney beans drained
    1 Can Lima beans drained
    2 Can Brown Beans (like Bush beans)
    1 1/2 Cup of chili sauce
    2 Tbl brown sugar
    1 Tbl Dijon mustard
    1 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
    2 Tbl molasses
    3 Slice bacon, cut in half (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium baking dish, mix kidney beans, lima beans, brown beans, chili sauce, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and molasses. Top with bacon. Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, until thick and bubbly.

I also like burritos as a fast, easy meal. I brown ground beef with some Chile powder, cumin and pepper, add a bit of chicken broth to moisten, add some salsa... not much. I just want the beef seasoned and somewhat moist.

While the beef simmers, dice tomatoes, lettuce, onions, grate some cheese, dollop out some sour cream and some jarred salsa , a few jalapeños. Just line all the bowls up, warm the tortillas in the mikey, spread some of the beef mixture down the middle, and each man is on his own!

• indicanoe
    16 years ago

One of the very first meals I was allowed to cook when my mom was working late was 1 lb of hamburg browned in a large fry pan. Then dump a lg can of "spaghetti" on top. Mix it all up until warm and serve with bread and butter, I haven't made that in a long, long time....but it was really good!!

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    16 years ago

Corn and Black Bean Salad
    1 bag of frozen corn (still frozen)
    1 can of rinsed and drained black beans
    finely diced bell pepper, red onion, and jalapeno
    juice of 1 lime
    1-2 T olive oil (a goodly slosh roughly 2x the lime juice)
    chopped cilantro

Combine all of the above and serve once the corn has defrosted.

Black Bean and Pumpkin Soup
    3 cans black beans
    1 can pumpkin
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 qt chicken broth
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 bay leaf
    chopped onion and bell pepper
    a little olive oil

Soften the onion and pepper in the oil for a few minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer 20 minutes and whack with the immersion blender. Add a dash of sherry, if you like.

I tried the parmesan, mustard, mayo fish last night. Two thumbs up!

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

Gina, I add the breadcrumbs sometimes when I am making Spaghetti with Garlic and Oil. I love it.

Here is one that a friend brought over when I had the baby. It is really good (yep - it involves cans - lol).

Creamy Baked Chicken

Place chicken breasts or cutlets (4 or 5) in a 9 x 13 pan. Top each with a slice of swiss cheese. Mix 2 cans of cream of chicken soup with 1 cup of white wine. Pour over chicken and cheese and top with 2 cups of stuffing mix. Drizzle with 1/3 cup of melted butter (I used chicken broth). Bake 350 for 1 hour.

I am normally not a fan of these chicken casserole type things - but this one I really like.

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

Refried Bean Soup - SL 20th Anniversary Edition
    Shirley Draper, Winter Park, FL

1 small onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 TBS. vegetable oil (I use olive oil)
    1 (31 ounce) can refried beans *NOTE
    1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained (I use Rotel)
    1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
    2 TBS. chopped fresh cilantro
    6 corn tortillas (I use flour tortillas)
    2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
    1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream

Cook onion and garlic in oil in Dutch oven over medium high heat, stirring constantly, until tender. Add beans and next 3 ingred., stirring until smooth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 mins. Stir in cilantro, if desired.

Cut tortillas into thin strips; spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 15 mins. or until browned, stirring every 5 mintues. Cool.

Ladle soup into individual soup bowls; top with tortilla strips, cheese, and sour cream. Serve immediately.

Yield: 7 cups

*NOTE: My stores do not sell this size can anymore. Buy the regular cans to equal this amount.

I'm quite surprised by the taste of this soup with the simple ingredients. I like to serve with a Spanish style salad - crispy lettuce, fruit (orange segments or grapefruit segments, banana), avocado and poppy seed dressing.

• disneyginger
    16 years ago

Tuna Quickie

Boil in a large kettle about 12 to 16 onces of angel hair pasta or your favorite pasta shape. We like bowties, angel hair, or orecchiette best. Have cooked and ready.

Chop fine shallots and garlic (about a tablespoon of both) and lightly toss them in a saute pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and two tablespoons of butter. Cook only until they begin to have an aroma and have not turned color at all, just barely softened.

Add leftover tuna steaks or two cans of albacore tuna to the shallots and garlic, add two tablespoons of french minced parsley, and stir until hot. About 3 minutes.

Then, add the pasta and toss. Add butter or olive oil as you like, add fresh sea salt and some fresh ground pepper. Also, you can add a good quality hard grated cheese or some red pepper flakes, or both.

Serve on a plate and dig in.

Also known as HOT TUNA!

• stacy3
    16 years ago

oh sheesh - Jessy - turn and walk away....

• shaun
    Original Author
    16 years ago

• steelmagnolia2007
    16 years ago

dixiedog -- OMG, you nailed it! I knew that the recipe for Chicken Rondele was one of the first I ever copied off the internet. (Maybe, what, 10 years ago?) But I couldn't have actually told you where it came from if you'd held a gun to my head. But, yes! The minute you said BHG and "Kelly", it all came flooding back.

I'm so glad you remembered and could give credit where credit is due. As I recall, I didn't stick around there long because some of the posters were really, really tacky. But thank you, Kelly, wherever you are, for the super-good recipe!

sm

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

Emily, your stroganof reminded me of an easy Burgundy Beef I make.

Chop up about a 2 inch square of salt pork into small pieces (or about the same amount of bacon) and render in a dutch oven until crisp...remove and set aside...leaving the fat in the pan!

In the same pan, brown one pound of stewing beef, remove & set aside. Then saute one chopped onion until limp, and return the beef & crisp pork/bacon to the pan.

Pour in one can of beef stock (appx 2 cups) and use the same can to measure an equal amount of red wine, and pour that in...use cheap burgundy or other full red wine for this, jug stuff, don't use your good wine.

Add 1 t dried marjoram,1 t ground black pepper, 1/2 t dried thyme, & one good sized bay leaf.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer (covered) until the beef is tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.

Meanwhile, make a roux with a half a stick of butter & an equal amount of flour and saute it, stirring frequently for at least 5 minutes to make sure the flour is cooked. If you have the patience to gradually let it darken to brown, it will add richness, but it already is fairly rich. Cool the roux just a bit, and then scoop out a soup ladle or two of the stew broth and add to the roux, stirring until smooth, then add this to the beef mixture, stirring to prevent lumps. Simmer for another 5 or 10 minutes to moogle the flavors a bit and serve over noodles, mashed potatoes or rice.

Now, if you are trying to cut down a bit on the fat, you can thicken the beef mixture with a cornstarch and water thickener, but it won't be as good. Sometimes (if I'm feeling virtuous, or if I'm wearing a tight pair of pants) I use less roux and partially sub the cornstarch)

Occasionally, the stew will thicken too much...I don't know why this happens, but if it does, just whisk in a bit more beef stock.

• gardenguru1950
    16 years ago

april, et al:

I found the original recipe for "French" spaghetti on a box of spaghetti about thirty years ago.

The original recipe did not include mushrooms and it included a cup of shredded cheddar cheese and then it was put into a covered casserole and baked until the cheese was bubbly-gooey.

I still don't know why it was called "French".

Joe

• c9pilot
    16 years ago

Slow Cooker Mexican Beef
    Buy the biggest chunk 'o beef that's on sale (some sort of roast).
    In the morning while making breakfast for the kids and fixing lunches, place beef in slow cooker.
    Toss in a big spoonful of minced garlic from a jar (or mince garlic the old fashioned way, but that takes a lot longer).
    Roughly chop or wedge at least one onion and toss inside (I like lots 'o onion, so I do 2 or 3, depending on the size of the roast.)
    Pour a couple gurgles of the leftover salsa from your fridge, or the cheap stuff in a plastic jug, or if you're really desperate, the expensive stuff in a jar. Maybe one or two cups worth. The corn and black bean stuff turns out really well.
    Cover and push one of the "low" buttons - 8 or 10 hours, doesn't really matter.
    When you're ready to eat, shred, remove the fat, and serve with tortillas and standard condiments on hand (cheese, sour cream, guacamole, chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce.) You can make enchiladas, tacos, burritoes, salads, whatever you prefer!

• dixie615
    16 years ago

A good low-cal, high fiber soup.

1 T. olive oil
    1 package frozen mixed vegetable gumbo mix (I use Kroger Recipe Beginnings, 16 oz)
    1 can beans with pork + juice (I use Red Gold 14.5 oz)
    1 can petite diced tomatoes with chipotle or green chili (I use Luck's 15 oz)
    2 bay leaves
    3 cans water
    Using my 4 qt. pot, I toss the vegs in hot olive oil to help them thaw, then add the remaining ingredients.
    Bring to boil, reduce to low, simmer for 45-60 minutes.

• ritaotay
    16 years ago

I used to be the queen of quick and easy meals and hubby loved every one.

Hot Dog Hash

Fry some diced potatoes, drain the grease, brown hot dog slices, mix the two, heat and serve... For a change of pace add a can of Bush's baked beans.

Chili Mac

Prepare a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, add a can of Hormel Chili with beans, heat and serve...

Kraft Diner and fried Spam... Kraft Diner mixed with fried hot dog slices... Kraft Diner mixed with left over baked ham...

Your choice of fried meat with Skinny Fries... ( thinly sliced potatoes fried in a lot of oil until crispy on the outside and soft in the middle, they stick together... lol )

Coney Dogs

Prepare a small block of Dearborn Sausage's Chili mix ( the kind they serve at Coney Island restaurants ), deep fry hot dogs until golden brown, place in bun and smother with chili mix.

Needless to say he can't and any of them now and you know why he has high cholesterol... ( but he was eating that way all his life. )

Rita

• sooz
    16 years ago

Here's a quick and easy one my DH loves:
    frozen tamales from Trader Joe's
    can of Chili, no beans
    shredded cheddar
    salsa
    green onions, black olives, cilantro

Heat tamales in microwave according to directions. Remove corn husk thingies and throw the husks away. Top with chili and cheese and heat again in microwave. Add salsa, chopped green onions, sliced black olives, chopped cilantro (and hey, whatever else floats your boat).

Hey, steelmagnolia2007, I have a yummy variation on your Cranberry Chicken.
    In a bowl, whisk together:
    a can of whole-berry cranberry sauce
    an 8-oz. bottle of French dressing (not low cal, not diet, and not diet--I like using Wishbone because I've tried the other brands and they are just toooooooo slimey!)
    a packet of dry onion soup

Place chicken (skinless, boneless if you want, breasts, legs, thighs) in a baking dish and pour the mixture on top.

Bake for about an hour at 350 degrees.

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Great quickies!

I had a box of frozen taquitos that I bought but didn't used for appetizers. I used them for a Mexican casserole.

Enchilada Casserole
    1/2 box frozen taquito appetizers
    1 jar salsa
    2-4 cups shredded cheddar & jack cheese (use the amount that you like)

Layer in casserole dish sprayed with Pam. Make two layers starting with taquitos, salsa, cheese.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

Here's something to have on hand when your son or daughther brings home a vegetarian significant other.

2 cans stewed tomatoes
    tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce if needed, depending on how many you are serving. With just the stewed tomatoes, serves 4 people tops, but if you add a can of tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce, it could serve more.
    1 can garbanzo or cannelli beans
    1/2 - 1 slab cream cheese or neufatchel cheese

Heat up the stewed tomatoes and add the garbanzo beans. Heat until bubbly. Add the cheese--less if you're calorie conscious, more if you're not. Serve over pasta. I like penne, but would also work with spaghetti or rotelli. Can also serve over rice. Can add vegetables sauteed in olivie oil, frozen spinach, and italian seasonings to taste. Garnish with grated parmesean. Kids seem to like this if they are not too picky and can tolerate tomatoes.

Another easy dish I like is a large can of spaghetti sauce, (Newman's Own is my favorite brand), a can of water packed tuna, a small can of black olives (or 1/4 cup chopped kalamattas), and 2 TBLSP capers. Top with grated parmesean or feta cheese. Serve over spaghetti or fetuchinni.

And finally, cheap eats Mexican style, brown rice mixed with salsa to taste and kidney beans. Top with grated cheddar and pop under broiler til the cheese melts. Good with sauteed zuchinni or yellow squash.

Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup (from Giada DeLaurentis)

3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 carrots, peeled and chopped
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce (recommended: San Marzano brand)
    2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
    1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/2 cup pastina pasta (or any small pasta)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onion, and garlic and saute until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the jar of marinara sauce, chicken broth, cannellini beans, red pepper flakes, pasta, salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve.

"To Die Dreaming" (Morir Soñando) which is a drink from the Dominican Republic. A friend of mine from there calls it "the original Orange Julius." Mix equal parts milk and orange juice. Sounds weird I know, but it is great. Can add Penzeys vanilla sugar or a splash of vanilla and some sugar. Can also add a splash of brandy and some fresh squeezed lime juice. Serve over ice or crushed ice. Serve it at a party and don't tell anyone what it is, they will think it's some mysterious concoction that took hours to make with exotic island ingredients. At least that's how I got introduced to the drink. My friend would not tell me the "secret ingredients," I had to look it up on the Web.