Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Ice Cream Maker?

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 7, 10 at 11:54

I want to get an ice cream maker, but am at a loss as to which one to buy.

I looked online at a few and read the reviews, but still uncertain.

I don't need anything huge, I don't want to spend a small fortune. I do want an electric model and would prefer one that does not require ice and salt.

Any recommendations?

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Ice Cream Maker?

Linda, many of us have a cuisinart and they are great. I have the stainless steel model which was $79 w/20 pct off at Bed, Bath and Beyond. The regular model is fine too and a bit less expensive. Where were you last fall when Amazon had the $14 deal w/free shipping on the Cuisinart? How'd ya miss that one!? I bought one for my BIL/SIl and their kids.

Duane

o

Linda, the one I have is linked to below. I'm very happy with it. My sister has the smaller one, and now wishes she had the larger one. You can always make less if you don't need the whole 2 quarts.

Judi

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuisinart 2 qt Ice Cream Maker

o

Linda, Here is the one Duane is talking about. I have an extra one if you want it. Let me know.

I haven't used mine, but a lot of people here purchased them so maybe they can give you some good info to help you decide.

Tracey

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker

o

I bought it (the Cuisanart deal) and have been pretty happy with it. I haven't managed to make anything as smooth and creamy as my favorite HD ginger ice cream yet, but each time I try, I get a little better results.

o

I bought a Kitchenaid ice cream maker attachment, which replaces the regular mixing bowl, and was very happy with it, but shortly thereafter I bought the Cuisinart that Tracey linked to because it was a deal I could not pass up. I found the Cuisinart to be extremely noisy, and so I had to put it in the guest room/sewing room to make ice cream. My kitchen is open to my living room, and I was unable to watch TV with the Cuisinart ice cream making running in the kitchen. If you are not concerned about noise, then it is perfectly fine, but the KA attachment will make a larger batch, by about 25%, which made it perfect for some of the recipe I have, whereas the Cuisinart required a reduced recipe.

Lars

o

Tracey, you have an extra? How in the world did you end up with two?

Thanks for the info, everyone!

I don't think noise would be an issue for me, not sure. I guess it would depend on how long it takes to make a batch.

I wish I had a KA mixer, but all I have ever had/used is a hand-held electric mixer. Maybe someday...

Linda

o

Linda - about 20-30 minutes to make a batch. It's much quieter than my bread machine, that's for sure.

o

Oh, 20-30 minutes of noise would be tolerable! LOL

My dishwasher is terribly noisy and it takes a looooong time to complete a cycle!

Linda

o

I do have an extra so if you decide that's the kind you want I'd be more than happy to send it to you.

Tracey

o

I have the 2 qt model that caboodle linked to. I LOVE it. It is noisy - but I put it in the laundry room and close the door...we use it all the time. we just made a milk chocolate ice cream on Saturday. I've used it to make homemade ice cream for my brother's 50th birthday party - and special ice cream for my valentine's party.

It's great because lots of people aren't used to getting homemade ice cream and it's a real treat. I made two different kinds for my brother's party - just started them a couple days ahead of time.

I would go with a 2 qt if you can - you don't have to make that much but sometimes you want to.

o

I don't have the 2 quart, I have the smaller cuisinart that is linked in a prior post.

It takes about half an hour to make ice cream and I didn't find it that noisy but my kitchen is separate from my living room and so I can watch television while the dryer, the dishwasher or the ice cream machine are running in the kitchen and I don't notice.

I seldom use it, but the grandkids love to make their own ice cream, so I've made half a dozen batches, maybe. It works fine.

Annie

o

I have the double-barreled Cuisinart stainless model. I have never had troubles with the noise. Lars, maybe a 1/2" neoprene pad under your maker would help?

It works great.

o

I also have the small cuisinart. Mine came with a free extra bowl.....some kind of special deal when I bought it. I don't think it's that loud...about the same as the bread machine when it's kneading dough. 20 - 30 minutes sounds right as far as time goes. That time is after your cooked or heated ingredients have had time to chill though.

David

o

NOISY is an understatement. It's LOUD and ANNOYING. You definitely need to put the Cuisinart in an isolated place or it will drive you nuts in less than thirty minutes. It makes good ice cream though. It's nice to make your own exotic flavors.

Jim

o

Either the machines themselves vary widely in how tightly they are constructed hence the noise issues or some people are more sensitive than others. Since I am sensitive to noise in general, I suspect they must vary from unit to unit in how much noise they make. I need to make some ice cream to really research this. Yeah, that's why I need ice cream. You bet.

o

I'm wondering the same thing. I have an older Hobart Kitchenaid mixer and this Cuisinart is maybe a bit louder that that, but not much. We certainly are able to be in the same room with it. We have an open kitchen/dining/living area and it certainly doesn't run us out of the room.
Judi

o

I'm pretty sure we are comparing several models of Cuisinart.

Jim

o

I don't know if this offer is open so feel free to say NO! but if Linda doesn't want your extra one traceys, I'd LOVE to have it. I'd be happy to pay you. I missed out on that deal by minutes.

o

Oh May...I'm sorry. I e-mailed Tracey and told her I would be interested in her machine.

I porbably should have posted....oops.

Linda

o

That's ok, Linda, I'm glad you got it!! Honestly the last thing I need is anything that makes DESSERTS. LOL. Have fun with it and let us know how the ice cream comes out!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here