Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ISo Banana bread pudding

Posted by lulu1957 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 11:53

Hi: We recently came back from a trip to a spa in Alberta. While we were there we were treated to the best tasting desert \i remember having. It was banana bread pudding with caramel sauce in the centre and over the ice cream on top. It was to die for! I have looked, but nothing seems to sound like it. I think the bread was lightly flavored with banana and may have had dates mixed in as the colour was failry dark. There was no pieces of banana to see or taste in it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ISo Banana bread pudding

Was the bread a yeast bread or a quick bread? There are recipes for Yeasted Banana Bread (including some recipes with dried fruit in them - more like a banana-flavored raisin bread - King Arthur has a Sandwich Banana Bread recipe). There are also recipes for Banana Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce. Perhaps with a little more searching you can "marry" two recipes to get a copy-cat recipe.

I've made bread pudding using an over-baked loaf of banana bread that was too dry. Too bad I wouldn't have thought about adding the caramel sauce..... :-)

My go-to recipe:
Palm Sugar Caramel Sauce
(2 servings)
1/4 c. palm sugar
1 T. half & half
1/2 T. Lyle's Golden Syrup

Cook and stir 2-3 minutes in a small pan (or in a small bowl in the microwave for 1-2 minutes) until smooth and caramel color. Add chopped pecans, if desired. [I pour this over chopped fresh apple bits and top it with granola.]

-Grainlady

o

Thanks. Yes, : think you may be right. Something was different, and I don't think it was regular yeast bread. The sauce looks perfect. I'm in Canada and have never seen palm sugar. May in a health food store. Are there any substitutions?

o

What do you think of this. Could I cut it to incorporate the caramel?

BANANA NUT BREAD PUDDING
3 lg. ripe bananas
1 c. milk
1 pkg. yeast
1 tbsp. salt
1 c. pecans, chopped
1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 c. apple juice concentrate
1 c. unbleached flour
1/3 c. honey
1/2 c. chopped dates
1 tsp. vanilla
Warm milk; add yeast and salt. Set 10 minutes. In another bowl, mix honey, dates, vanilla, flours, juice. Then add mashed bananas and nuts. Mix. Add to yeast mixture. Pour into coated 9 x 11 inch pan. Let stand for 1 hour. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.
Servings: 8.

o

Palm sugar - also goes by the name coconut sugar and coconut palm sugar. I've been using it for several years now because it's low-glycemic (doesn't raise blood sugar) and still works like sugar in baked goods (unlike stevia and chemical sweeteners). I've always ordered it on-line, and only recently have I seen it in the natural food section of the grocery store here in the middle of Nowhere Kansas.

You could use dark brown sugar, maple sugar, or a natural sugar like turbinado, but you'll miss a flavor you don't get with other sugars.

I also had an afterthought... Does the spa serve banana muffins, and could the day old muffins be the bread base for the dish?

-Grainlady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here