Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waffles of Insane Greatness

Posted by mjocean (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 11:52

Hi,
I've been reading the waffle posts and the recipe for "Waffles of Insane Greatness" has been mentioned many times.

Can someone please post the recipe? They sound and look great.
Thanks,
MJ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waffles of Insane Greatness

Only recipe I use now. Thanks, Joan!

* joanm (My Page) on (KT Cooking Forum)
Sun, Jan 24, 10 at 11:45

I have a new favorite waffle recipe. It came from one of those Rachael Ray travel shows. These are the lightest waffles I have ever had. They sort of melt on your tongue.

Waffles of Insane Greatness
Recipe courtesy Aretha Frankensteins

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk or buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Butter and syrup, for serving

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well. Add the milk, vegetable oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and mix well. Let the batter sit for 30 minutes.

Preheat a waffle iron. Do not use non-stick spray on the waffle iron; the oil in the batter will allow the waffle to release easily. Follow the directions on your waffle iron to cook the waffles. Serve immediately with butter and syrup.

This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.

I made this with buttermilk. One batch makes two grids of 4 waffles.

o

Aretha Frankenstein's Waffles of Insane Greatness

Serves 2 to 4

3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk or buttermilk (or a combination)
1/3 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
Butter and pure maple syrup, for serving

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well. Add the milk, vegetable oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and mix well. Let the batter sit for 30 minutes.
Heat a waffle iron. Follow the directions on your waffle iron to cook the waffles. Serve immediately with butter and pure maple syrup or hold in a 200 degree oven, directly on the rack (don't stack them or they'll get soggy). These also reheat very well in the toaster.

o

Joanm and ann_t,

Thank you so much, I will make these this week end.

Ann, your food photos are so motivating; all your dishes look so yummy.

Thanks again,
MJ

o

Hi,
I finally made these waffles today and they were so delicious, light and fluffy. I will definitely be making these again!
Thank you again Angel and ann_t.
MJ.

o

One note to those who like syrup on their waffles. A recent issue of Consumer Reports had an article about many of our "everyday" brands of syrups and how they contain a very harmful chemical in the carmel coloring.

I'll look for a link later to post, however the upshot is that we, the consumer, shouldn't be using "name" brands like Aunt Jemima and other artificial syrups. I've already made the switch to real maple syrup, please think carefully about your choice.

o

Interesting compumom.
Homemade syrup from brown and white sugar is surprisingly easy, ridiculously cheap and to me, tastes much better than any Aunt Jemima or whatever.
I use pure maple for myself, but if I have a large group to feed, I need something more cost effective.

o

Here's the link!

Here is a link that might be useful: Consumer Reports on Syrup

o

Hi,
We enjoyed our waffles with pure maple syrup, yummmm...
MJ

o

I think she is speaking of artificial dyes and coloring to make processed food look 'pretty'.
Chemically processed and only for color, and no food value whatsoever.

Making a sauce or syrup using sugars, maybe a good organic brown and white, still much cheaper than maple, is a better choice.

Real maple is gorgeous, and expensive, having just made some. (i now see why)

I've made caramel, and a blueberry caramel syrup using maple but also using good organic sugars that proved good without using those that use artificial dyes and colorings that are in sodas and cereals, shelf syrups, etc.

o

I make my own pancake syrup and add pure maple syrup to it. The grand kids don't like the pure syrup but it adds a great taste to my homemade syrup.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here