Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What side dishes do you serve with lamb?

Posted by aptosca (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 08 at 11:30

I am going to have it for Easter. I usually serve it with roasted potatoes (I love Yukon Gold), asparagus, salad, rolls and dessert. Also at a loss as to what to make for dessert though I am thinking something with lemon, my trees are loaded.

Any suggestions for something different as side dishes? What do you like with lamb?
Thanks.
Clare

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What side dishes do you serve with lamb?

Lamb is something I've not had in decades, since I was a kid really. Mom would make it occasionally with a mint sauce using mint leaves from the garden. Boiled potatoes and carrots was pretty much all we had with it. Something lemony.. well I'm not much of a pie person but a slice of for real home-made lemon pie with real whipped cream I would love. Seldom have pie, nobody seems to make them from scratch and the only ones I have anymore are store bought and not that great, especially lemon ones

o

I love lamb and growing up in a fourth to second generation of immigrated Irish household, mutton and lamb have always been on the menu somewhere, and not always for Easter!

My favorite sides are simple. I like new potatoes with butter and parsley. I love asparagus that is done with a simple steam and the stalks still have a bit of a crunch.

We have a family recipe that is always served at our house and my cousins and siblings when we have mutton and sometimes lamb. It is a dried fruit concoction where everything is stewed thick and then a cup of whiskey is poured into it to thin it down and we serve it over the meat. It is a poor man's chutney I think! But, we've come to love it and the boozey effect was what we looked for as kids, but the truth is, I think the cooking down of the booze does an UNboozing effect! LOL

However, take whatever dried fruits you want, figs, dates, raisins, apricots, prunes, or even mango strips! Add some water in a pot over very low heat and just cook away for about 3 to 4 hours. Add enough water to the pot and keep the heat low to keep it from sticking or burning. Then, once the fruit is very tender and the stuff looks like a yucky mish-mash, add the whiskey. Cook down for about 15 minutes and serve. You can add nuts or whatever you like. My one cousin puts in like 12 different dried fruits and two cups of whiskey and one cup of brandy and it is the best of all our "fruit". We call it "fruit". But, it is quite delicious. Either because we all grew-up on it, or because it really is. I can't tell you, since it is just what we eat and what we all like.

o

How about a lemon sherbet for dessert; since you have a lemon tree!!

Lemon Sherbet

1cup sugar
dash salt
1 cup water
1/2 cup light cream
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 beaten egg whites
In a pot combine 3/4 cup sugar, salt and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook for 5 mins.
Remove from heat. Let stand to cool.
Add cream and lemon juice. Pour into freezer tray. Freeze until firm.
In a bowl combine egg whites and remaining sugar. Beat vigorously.
Chop frozen mixture into chunks and add to egg whites. Beat vigorously until smooth.
Refreeze until firm.
Yields 1 1/2 pints.
This is light and refreshing

Linda

o

Some of my favourite sides with lamb are redcurrant jelly, rhubarb jam, peas and carrots, baked cauliflower with cheese, mashed potatoes (great with roast or breaded cutlets) or caramelised potatoes, grilled red bell peppers, butter-fried mushrooms, salad (I never serve all of these at the same time). If you are making lamb roast, put a some water in the pan for the first 2/3 of the cooking time (for gravy), put quartered onions, whole carrots and garlic cloves in the pan, season and serve as a side dish when done.

You could make lemon mousse for dessert.

o
RE: What side dishes I would serve with lamb?

Here are some side dishes I like:

Artichoke Hearts with Lemon Butter

2 packages frozen artichoke hearts
1 cup flour
1 1 2/ tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
6 tbsp melted butter
5 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon rind

Prepare artichokes to package directions but reduce cooking time by 5 mins. Drain.
In a bowl combine flour, salt and pepper.
Coat artichokes evenly with flour mixture.
In a frying pan cook artichokes slowly in butter, lemon juice and grated rind for 10 mins. until tender.
Serve immediately
Serves 6

Avocado Salad

1 10-oz package fresh spinach
6 diced, hard-cooked eggs
1 peeled, diced avocado
1/2 cup oil and vinegar dressing (I make mine from scratch)
tear spinach into bite-sized pieces. Lime a salad bowl with the spinach.
Arrange eggs and avocado over spinach.
Drizzle with oil and vinegar dressing.
Mix well
Serves 6

Spinach Salad with Bavarian Dressing

1 1/2 quarts fresh spinach
Wash and drain spinach. Break off stems and tear apart leaves. (I buy the baby spinach)
Dressing:
2 tbsp bacon fat
1 tbsp flour
2 beaten egg yolks
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
Heat bacon fat; add flour. Add egg yolks, vinegar and water. Cook slowly, stirring constantly, until smooth.
Add salt, pepper and paprika.
Yields 1 cup
Servings 6

Hope these help

Linda

o

Minted peas are fairly traditional here. I usually do roasted potatoes, pumpkin and other roasted vegetables as well.

o

Cannellini, or other large white beans, are very good with lamb. I think they are best made from dried beans but rinsed, drained canned ones are OK. Cook them up with extra virgin olive oil, onion, garlic. Add flat parsley and/or other herbs when nearly done cooking. Season with S&P and drizzle on a bit more olive oil.

The beans take the place of potatoes or pasta on the menu.

Jim

o

Clare,
I'm having the same meal with the addition of sauted yellow squash with a little lemon, butter and herbs. For dessert we'll have lemon meringue pie and some kind of cake. Happy Easter:)
Kim

o

My mom used to make sauteed zucchini with lamb. The flavors were very complimentary. And I second the cannellini bean idea. We cook them with chicken stock, parsley, and grated Romano cheese. They're wonderful with roast lamb.

o

Just in the door -- the latest issue (spring 2008) of "Food & Family" from Kraft -- and it has some wonderful lemon recipes! You can sign up for this free newsletter/magazine at kraftfoods.com.

There's a lemon cheescake recipe and Lemon/cream cheese cupcakes too!

Jan

o

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and recipes.
Clare

o

This is a great potato recipe to go with lamb, I found it on epicurious and we loved it.

Robin

Roasted Potatoes With Garlic, Lemon, And Oregano
Other : 2000

PATATES RIGANATES
Editor's note: This recipe is excerpted from Aglaia Kremezi's book The Foods of the Greek Islands.
To read more about Kremezi and Greek Easter, click here.
Few people can resist these potatoes, which are capable of stealing the show from any food they accompany so make sure you have plenty for seconds. Although it is served all over Greece, this dish is particularly good on islands like Naxos, where the local potatoes have an exceptional taste. On the special days when a leg of lamb or a chicken is roasted, the potatoes are cooked in its juices.
If you want to cook this dish using small potatoes, there is no need to peel them, but I suggest that you halve them, because they taste best when they can absorb more sauce.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
by Aglaia Kremezi
Houghton Mifflin Company
3 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup beef stock or chicken stock
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
Preheat oven to 400F.
Place the potatoes in a single layer in a 13-x-9-inch baking dish and pour the oil over them. Add the garlic, dried oregano, salt and pepper to taste and toss well to coat with the oil.
Bake the potatoes for 15 minutes. Add the stock, toss and bake for 10 minutes more. Add the lemon juice, toss and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more, or until the potatoes are cooked through. If you like, preheat the broiler and broil the potatoes for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
Sprinkle with the fresh oregano and serve at once.
Variation:
Dissolve 1 tablespoon tomato paste in the stock, and reduce the amount of lemon juice to taste. Substitute Aleppo pepper or crushed red pepper flakes for the black pepper.
Sprinkle with the fresh oregano and serve at once.
Variation:
Dissolve 1 tablespoon tomato paste in the stock, and reduce the amount of lemon juice to taste. Substitute Aleppo pepper or crushed red pepper flakes for the black pepper.

o

Can't remember where I read this, but a chef was saying never to allow ice water or any cold beverage on the table with lamb. The cold makes the lamb fats congeal in one's mouth, which produces an unpleasant flavor or after-taste.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here