Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sausage

Posted by cookie8 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 11:22

I want to make a whack of "sausages" to have for breakfast. Personally, I don't care for sausage but want a little more protein for myself and the kids. I bought four packages of ground turkey and am looking for ideas or straight up instructions on making sausage. I won't be using casings. Yes, I am a total amateur. Thanks for any tips.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sausage

I took a class on sausage making years ago, and if you ask me it's all about the seasonings, so I'd suggest checking out Penzeys Spices while you're seeking recipes. I've used their Breakfast Sausage Seasoning mixture for years and you will find a number of spice/seasoning mixtures from Penzeys that might help you out - either to purchase or make-your-own mixtures.

I often grind my own meat mixtures, or I've also used homemade ground gluten (aka "wheat meat" or seitan) to make "sausage". Although I've made a lot of patties over the years, more often than not these days I'll fry-off the bulk sausage (like you would hamburger - what my MIL called "scrambled") and package it in small containers destined for the freezer. Now I can use it in any number of things - add to eggs, topping for pizza, added to a casserole, etc. - much easier than using patties.

Another make-ahead and freeze breakfast favorite is a version of Jimmy Dean Sausage Cheese Balls, which are more often used as appetizers, but we like them as a breakfast meat. I make it with homemade or commercial bulk sausage, and instead of Bisquick (baking mix) I make a gluten-free, low-carb version, but the results are the same. They freeze nicely and reheat in a toaster oven or probably in a microwave.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Turkey Breakfast Sausage

o

I have used Penzeys Breakfast Sausage seasoning also with ground turkey. I just shape it into patties and wrap the portions I would eat in parchment paper packages. The packages go into a large Ziploc bag.

I hope you have a Penzeys near you!

o

I used a Williams & Sonoma chicken sausage seasoning blend last year that was very good. I think it would work excellent for turkey sausage as well. WS no longer offers the seasoning but here's what's on the label for ingredients as a suggestion guide...

"Apples, brown sugar, kosher salt, onion powder, dalmatian sage, garlic powder,natural apple flavor, black pepper, cinnamon, natural applewood smoke flavor, citric acid, fennel seed, thyme"

It's a nice change from the usual sausage seasonings.

/tricia

o

No Penzey's where I am. I used the recipe linked. Unfortunately, still don't care too much for ground turkey! I still have half a batch to fry up - I think I will add more spices. I keep hoping I will start to like ground turkey because it is leaner than pork but, no. Thanks. I will check out Penzey's website in the meantime.

o

If you're looking for a more traditional "sausage" shape, roll in plastic wrap at the size you desire and then tightly in aluminum foil. Poach the sausages in just simmering water until cooked through, about 10 minutes. These can be cooled, rewrapped into portions, frozen and then treated like a brown and serve product.

Steve

o

After grinding and seasoning the sausage, I spread it in a cooking sheet, cut into squares, freeze, then separate patties with parchment squares package (that I have cut) and refreeze.

o

I grind chicken but I use it for a lot of things like chili, etc., and so I make my chicken breakfast sausage one pound at a time, it only takes a few minutes to mix up.

I've used several seasoning mixes and several recipes, but have finally decided that I really like this one, courtesy of Alton Brown, although he uses pork and I don't add any fat to the chicken, although I use a bit of olive oil in the pan to prevent sticking, as the brown sugar can get sticky. If I'm using dried herbs (which I am currently, until I have fresh herbs again in the garden), I put them all into my mortar and pestle and grind them up together, then add the sugar and salt/pepper.

Breakfast sausage

2 pounds pork butt (2 1/2 pounds with bone), diced into 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 pound fat back, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage leaves
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Annie

o

I make my own sausage because my husband is on a low sodium diet. I get the ground pork from a local butcher. I've used the recipe Annie just posted for breakfast sausage, and it's quite good. I mix in the seasonings by hand while wearing latex-free vinyl gloves. I used to make patties and separate them with parchment paper squares, but about two years ago, I started doing what Grainlady does. I fry the sausage in bulk, and then package up 1/2 cup servings in small snack baggies to freeze. That way my husband can make himself a tasty breakfast without disturbing me while I snore away.

When I first started doing this, I used grocery store ground pork but found it was way too lean. Even with adding some oil to the mix, the cooked pork was very dry. Now I use the ground pork from the butcher and the mixture has enough fat to keep the cooked meat moist. One advantage of browning the crumbled sausage in advance is that I can drain the fat easily.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here