Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cooking Cold Baked Ziti

Posted by agnesd (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 19, 10 at 10:57

I have prepared 2 Corningware deep dishes of baked ziti. Each has 1 lb ziti plus cheese, sauce etc. I have refrigerated it for tomorrow. How long and at what temp should I bake the Ziti. Should I leave it on the counter for a time before baking it? And I will have the 2 dishes in the oven at the same time. What would the internal temp read? Thanks a million!!!

PS Should it be covered?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cooking Cold Baked Ziti

I would take them from the fridge to a 350 oven. Probably 35-45 minutes should do it. I usually watch for bubbles to form around the edge and then go another 15 minutes or so.

Linda

o

I agree, I wouldn't let them set on the counter, I'd put them into a 350F oven (my girls call 350 the "universal temperature", it's what I bake at when I'm not sure, LOL).

I'd cover them for the first half an hour, uncover for the final 15 minutes, especially if there is a cheese topping that needs to be browned or set a bit.

Since everything is already cooked, I don't think internal temperature matters, other than it is hot all the way through, easily determined by sticking a knife in the middle and checking.

Annie

o

Thanks. Sounds good. I haven't cooked it in years.

o

Internal temp does matter....it should be 160 degrees in the center of the pan....much cooler than bubbling hot!
As Annie said you don't need to cook it just heat it....and to that end I would get it out of the refrig an hour before baking. That's not long enough for it to really warm up but enough to, as my mother said, "take the chill off". The problem with those big square dishes is the edges get dry before the middle gets really hot...I have served casseroles at church that were cool in the center....oops!!!!
good luck....sounds yummy...I might be jealous but I have a freezer full of lasagna!!
Linda c

o

You might need to add some water or additional sauce before you bake. Pasta tends to soak the liquid out of the sauce when it sits for very long.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here