Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about homemade corn tortillas....

Posted by lisa_in_germany (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 12 at 10:18

I am planning on making homemade corn tortillas in the next couple of days. I just have one question. My Mom always bought the fresh tortillas (corn) and fried them into taco shells. My qestion is, do i need to grill the tortillas first and then fry them or can I just fry them from the raw state.
Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about homemade corn tortillas....

Lisa you have to make/bake the tortilla first and then you can fry it if you want.

But to make tacos you do not need to fry the tortilla until it is crisp. YOu can use the tortilla as it comes off the grill pan.

Ann

o

I don't know about your homemade tortillas, but, the store bought ones will split or crumble if not softened up by frying first. You do fry them but don't fry them crisp. Place in the pan of hot oil and quickly turn it over. Remove to paper towels to drain some of the oil off and spoon in your filling and roll up. (The oil also imparts some of the flavor of the soft taco you will be looking for.)

o

If the tortillas are fresh (and especially if homemade), they should not split or crumble. I assume that Lisa wants to make Tex-Mex tacos, which have tortillas that are fried until crisp and usually deep fried. In Mexico, soft tacos are the norm and are made with two tortillas heated on a griddle or in a wok - I use a cast iron skillet with no oil. Tortillas are sauteed in oil generally only for enchiladas, as they would be messy to eat by hand if the tortillas had been sauteed, but you can make them either way. Personally, I steam tortillas for enchiladas because I do not want the extra oil, but it's not traditional.

Lars

o

Pris, there is a big difference between the packaged store bought corn tortillas and homemade.

I agree, that store bought needs to be soften in hot oil. Doesn't take long. Just basically in and out of the oil. But you can also fry a store bought corn tortilla into a crisp taco shell too. Just fry it longer.

Homemade corn tortillas are soft and do not crack or crumble. As soon as they are baked they need to be stacked and covered to keep warm.

This keeps them soft and pliable.

A fresh baked corn tortilla does not need to be fried unless you want a crispy taco shell.

o

I agree, fresh tortillas need to be baked on the griddle first, then can be deep fried if you want crunchy tortillas or eaten soft and hot from the griddle.

I used to just toss them in an electric skillet with a little oil in the bottom, just enough to submerge the tortilla, then I could do 4 at a time. We just had them flat, I never tried to fold them and make them crispy, we were happy with the flat "tostada" shell and piled our taco toppings right onto it.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here