SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthanna_gw

What's your diet?

ruthanna_gw
10 years ago

I was at a meeting last night where refreshments were served and it was amazing how many people declined various items because they didn't fit their diets (myself included - I refuse to drink any beverages with artificial sweetener).

Do you currently have diet restrictions for weight loss, allergies, medical conditions, or preventative health reasons?

Are there certain items you include or eliminate from your diet?

Has it had the results you anticipated?

Comments (27)

• beachlily z9a
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ruthanna, I am in my mid 60's so I do try to watch what I eat. No more than 3 oz a day of meat, lots of fruit and veggies (easy on tomatoes due to GERD), 1 cup of coffee a day, no soft drinks, no wine, no desserts. Muffins don't count. Anyway, I've been at the same weight for the last 6 years. Looking around at the tourists in my area, I think this has really worked. I still wear a size 6.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    10 years ago

Same here with any artificial sweeteners or creamers. I also cannot drink caffeine in the evening. I travel with herbal tea bags in my purse lol.

I'm not able to tolerate smokey flavors since going through chemo. Anything hickory smoked, applewood smoked, chipotle, etc. even to the extreme of asking a local restaurant to leave the paprika off of my coleslaw (they use a smokey one). I have to read labels on BBQ sauces so I don't buy one with smoke flavor. I make my own now.

No smoked fish, no smoked sausages, turkey or cheese...bacon and ham are often too strongly flavored. It's a very strong aversion and I don't understand it, but it has persisted now for 5 years.

Also a recent gout diagnosis has me steering clear of fish/shellfish, beer, organ meats.

Restaurant menus have become quite challenging, particularly since I live in a place famous for seafood : o(

• Related Discussions

What I eat when I eat out (when dieting)

Q

Comments (6)
    I've been lurking here for awhile but just had to jump in here. Been doing my own version of Weight Watchers (old exhange plan) since Jan 6th and have lost 19.5 lbs. to date. I'm afraid the road to weight loss will get tougher any day now since I haven't hit a plateau yet. My point to posting on this thread is that I've noticed so many here have all these things they stay away from and I detect some feeling of deprivation there. I eat out several times a week including at the occasional greasey spoon. I eat everything. I can make a salad at home so other than one that comes with a meal I never have one eating out. I do make choices though. If I want fries I'll get a turkey or clubhouse sandwich (no mayo). If I get a cheeseburger it's fruit or veggies instead of fries. Everything is ordered on the side....I'll add my own butter,gravy or dressing so I control and know what's on my plate. I eat chicken or fish (even fried) when I want it and beef or pork when I don't. When I get a sub I order the usual 6" and eat it all including cheese but leave off mayo,oils and fatty dressings. Mustard and barbque sauce are my friends LOL. I see peeps in restaurants afraid to order 2 fried eggs (about 220 calories) but who will "diet" on a 400 calorie bagel. They will throw away an 80 calorie dinner roll and eat a 250 calorie scoop of cottage cheese instead. So I guess my answer is everything and I just want to encourage all who struggle along with me to get and keep these added pounds off to try to think of food as fuel we have a right to enjoy and to question some of the diet lore out there.
    ...See More

Losing Weight/Dieting: What Works For You . . . And What Doesn't?

Q

Comments (30)
    Wow, what a lot of really great ideas for me . . .and for all of us here. Thank you!!! I'm following a lot of it and have lost 12 pounds so far. Mainly by cutting out most carbs and white sugar,and as Kelly suggested, doing interval training. I'm also keeping bags of fresh, pre washed baby carrots, baby bell peppers and green beans to munch on when I get hungry. Last night we grilled out burgers and I had mine without the bun. It's getting easier to eat like this and I'm finding the cravings for sweets and cheese are becoming less with each day . . . thankfully! As I mentioned in an earlier post here, I wasn't vastly overweight, just at the tops of what my weight should be for my height and age. Now I'm 12 pounds lighter and my clothes fit so much better! I'd still like to drop another 8 pounds. We fly out this Thursday morning to Palm Beach and then on to the Tampa area 4 days later. I've already eaten dinner and lunches out several times since I started this weight loss drive and have found it pretty easy to eat out healthfully . . . as long as it's in a regular and not a fast food restaurant. Salads with grilled meats, nuts, etc. are my go-to's, with a lite salad dressing on the side; hold the croutons and bread sides (LOL). But, as always, I have to be so careful that "lite" doesn't contain any artificial sweeteners, as I'm extremely allergic to them, especially aspertame/aspartame. So many thanks for all the great, helpful ideas. I'll continue to read them, although I'm not sure if I'm taking my laptop with me to Florida yet. Lynn
    ...See More

RECIPE: Balanced nutrition

Q

Comments (1)
    I don't deliberately plan my meals that way. I tend to put things together that seem to go together(beans & rice for example) I eat a lot of ethnic cuisine and it seems to be figured out for me. Been a veggie for 26 years and am very healthy. The only supplement that I take is E. I don't buy into the lack of protein thing that people worry about with a veggie diet. Think we eat way more protein than we need anyway.
    ...See More

If You're a Size 0, Should You Go on a Diet?

Q

Comments (88)
    Tishtosh I can now only buy dress shirts at Brooks Brothers, because I can get a large neck and shoulders, very short sleeves and a relatively very narrow (for the neck size) waist. They are expensive, but less than custom, and probably less than buying a cheaper shirt and then getting them tailored properly Before, where I grew up there was a Japanese woman who would take my shirts apart at the shoulder, move the sleeves up, and taper the sides, and she did not charge like she was making a whole shirt. The first time I tried to get sleeves shortened anywhere else they got chopped off at the bottom with the cuffs moved up and there was no split left above the cuff. ----- Poverty has changed in America. If you look at the films made in Appalachia in the 1960s, the poor were painfully thin for the most part. They were also poor in a different way. I just got back from San Diego, which seems to have a significant homeless problem and I saw several very dirty, homeless lying right on the sidewalk in the garbage/utility areas of a large building---looking at their cell phones. Now morbid obesity and poverty are related, at least where I live. I even see morbid obesity among the homeless, barring the obvious drug addicts. Many of the patients I see in the teaching program that gets referrals from the public health system are obese, and some of them are so morbidly obese they can't walk unassisted. Most of the poor here seem to eat almost nothing but junk food or fast food, and this is a change from the past. And fast food is full of carbs and hormones. But it's all relatively cheap compared to keeping good food around the house. ------ I also think men's bodies are changing and this also has to do with hormones in food. In the generation younger than mine, especially--the first one to grow up on chicken fingers and the like, there are many many body types on males that are feminized. Bottom heavy, curvy hips and thighs, pear shaped, man boobs. (Some of this may apparently have to do with Ritalin or other ADD drugs too?). Even otherwise thin men in this generation seem to have very large asses and hips and little pouchy bellies. This is not how men were built when I was in my 20s, There were thin guys and there were fat guys and there were muscular guys, but there was not the thin with subcutaneous fat in certain areas type of build.
    ...See More
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I just finished a 1-week cleanse where I was limited to poultry, eggs, limited fruit and non starchy vegetables, and healthy oils. It did seem to yield more energy for me...I'll take my time about adding back things like grains and nuts to see how each one affects me. If I'm feeling better on the cleanse, then clearly something needs to be eliminated....now it's just a matter of determining what.

• cookie8
    10 years ago

I'm a faster. I did this a few months back and it went very well with my body. I slowly introduced myself back to a traditional way of eating and blah, my body was too wimpy to handle it so I am back to fasting. I also eliminate gluten, soy, processed foods and limit corn, sweeteners (all kinds), dairy and nightshades. Definitely not traditional but it's what feels best for me. I don't really discuss how I eat as most people think it's crazy.

• grainlady_ks
    10 years ago

WHEAT - Fifteen months ago I went wheat-free for inflammation from rheumatoid arthritis (which I've had since I was 14-years old). My mother had celiac disease, my sister and her daughter have several digestive issues linked to wheat/grains, as well as rheumatoid arthritis, so it makes sense there could be a genetic predisposition to wheat sensitivity or intolerance, but I didn't link my inflammation to wheat until I read "Wheat Belly".

A member here on the Cooking Forum shared information from the book "Wheat Belly" by William Davis, MD, and out of curiosity I got it at the library and read it. After 3-months going wheat-free, as a test I ate a flour tortilla on Friday, Saturday I had a hamburger with a bun at a friend's cookout. Sunday, I felt like a steam roller had driven over me and was taking Advil for 2 days. My inflammation, which was much improved after 3-months, came back with a vengeance. As a nice side benefit, I also lost 10-pounds, although that wasn't my goal. My carpal tunnel and tennis elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis) are completely gone. I am able to knit or crochet for long periods of time, and haven't been able to do that for years. With hundreds of pounds of wheat in our food storage room, I am using it for growing wheatgrass and juicing it, so all is not lost. Just as long as I don't eat the seed itself.....or the many places wheat is hidden.

SPLENDA - I avoid Splenda because I have a strange reaction to it, and each time I unknowingly eat it, the reaction is even worse than the time before. Symptoms: dry mouth, swollen lips (it feels like someone with long fingernails has grabbed my lips with them and are trying to rip them off), and my tongue burns. My sister-in-law thought it was in my head, and to prove it she made sugared almonds using Splenda and served me some without telling me. I took one and after biting into the almond and chewing for a couple seconds I spit it out into in my hand and said "There's Splenda on them." The symptoms quickly followed. I went to the bathroom and rinsed my mouth out, but the damage was already done.

INORGANIC MINERALS AND CHEMICALLY-DERIVED VITAMINS - Foods that are fortified (like Total Cereal), cause swift and severe gastrointestinal distress. Vitamin supplements do the same thing. Yet one more reason I avoid processed food.

-Grainlady

• ruthanna_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

About five years ago, we decided to change our diet both to lose weight and bring our borderline cholesterol levels into line. DH and I ended up with a combined 70 lb. weight loss and "keep doing what you're doing"s from our doctors after our next checkups.

Our eating plan is ridiculously simple: three full meals a day with a balanced variety of foods, a sweet treat at 8 P.M. and no snacks at all.

Do: Smaller portions of red meat and cheese, large variety of mostly seasonal fruits and vegetables, enough carbs to help keep us from getting hungry before the next meal, baking and steaming main cooking methods

Don't: no deep frying, less buttery or creamy sauces, no soft drinks or artificial sweeteners at home, less alcohol consumption, no pizza or cheesesteaks, no salt unless it really needs it

I buy all our meat, fish, eggs and poultry from farmers' markets, local butcher or fish shops or ethnic markets so I know more about the products than I would if I bought them in grocery stores. It's also easier to control portions when I can buy two chicken thighs or 1/4 lb. of bacon.

We have continued to maintain the weight loss and good blood tests and will probably follow this plan for years to come. I also stopped reading books or articles about dieting, miracle foods and demon foods and try to invoke common sense in making food choices.

• annie1992
    10 years ago

Like Ruthanna, I have stopped reading books and articles about dieting, miracle/demon foods and whatever the "health fad of the day" is.

I try to approach eating with common sense, and I avoid processed foods, convenience mixes, fast food. I like to cook and would prefer to make my own anyway, because then I know what's in it. I grow my own grassfed beef, have chickens for eggs and plant a large organic garden. I can my harvest and store root vegetables and such in the cellar. I try to avoid preservatives and all the "cides", like insecticides, herbicides, fungicides, all meant to kill things so I don't think it could be all that good for us.

I do drink coffee, probably too much of it, and I have Diet Coke on a pretty regular basis. I try to avoid raw garlic or the mixture of tomato and onion because it causes acid reflux for me. I can't eat pomegranate or kiwi as they make my mouth sore, it's an odd reaction, but other than that I'm not allergic to any foods, nor do any cause bad reactions or health issues.

There are family members with health problems and issues. My oldest daughter is lactose intolerant and has diverticulitis. My mother is allergic to lemons. One aunt and my stepdaughter are celiacs. I love them all, so try to cook for them within their health requirements and parameters.

Annie

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    10 years ago

I have an organic garden and eat very much with the seasons. I get some food straight from the garden into January--turnips and savoy cabbge--and I freeze a little for late winter. I aim to eat a lot of greens--spinach, chard, cabbages, Asian greens,etc. I buy locally raised meats and pastured poultry almost entirely, though occasionally I buy some store bought--never poultry though. I can tomato products and pickles as well as making several types of fermented products.

I render some lard every year, and use that, coconut oil, butter and extra virgin olive oil for fats.

I love cheese and eat quite a bit; some I get locally from a goat dairy. I eat locally raised, free range eggs. I avoid added sugar, and always cut the sugar called for in recipes. I never drink sugary or diet drinks.

For fish I stick with sardines, canned wild salmon, pickled herring and sprats.

I buy almost no processed foods at all, and I've cut back considerably on bread/pasta though I still eat them with no related problems.

I just turned 69, I have all my own teeth, and I take no medicines of any sort. I have a waistline and though I weigh more than I did when I was 20, I've worn a size 10-12 for many years.

This post was edited by laceyvail on Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 6:24

• User
    10 years ago

This is the newest way for people to insult the host and call attention to themselves. And it's pretentious.

When I see people, at meetings, parties, weddings, holiday dinners, etc, decline various items because they didn't fit their diets , it's usually the "diet of the week" and next week it will be something else.

We love to watch these dramas at the buffet table, they are always good for a laugh or two.

• Chi
    10 years ago

I eat a vegetarian diet - no meat but I do eat eggs and some dairy. I also read "Wheat Belly" and I'm going to do a month-long trial of giving up wheat and sugar. I have insulin resistance and I'm hoping to see positive results with this diet change! I tell myself a month because the thought of giving up bread and baked goods forever is overwhelming, but hopefully I will feel so good that I will want to continue.

I think some people can be a little pretentious with some fad diets, but I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with declining food as long as it's not done obnoxiously. People are becoming more aware of what they eat and I applaud people focusing on their health and preferences as long as they do it politely and don't cause a scene. Though it can be frustrating for a host to make the effort to prepare food that no one eats. I think vegetables are the only "ok" thing on every diet!

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I agree with chi83, if guests make no fuss about the food
    and don't start enumerating what they are avoiding, I have no problem with people refusing certain items, a simple
    "no thank you" suffices. I don't want to hear how wheat is making us all head for the asylum.
    It's great that people are more conscious about their food choices, and indeed a menu with loads of vegetable options is a safe one.

I am intolerant to fish and most seafood and also truffle oil, I can't have chocolate and caffeine after 2 p.m.: I try not to consume carbs with dinner although if I am a guest in someone's house, I'll have them if I have to.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

After trying different ways of eating, looking for something that made me feel good AND that I could stick with for the long haul, I've embraced my natural hunger cues and pretty much eat what I want within a 8-10 hour window. I try to stick with nutrient dense things, though.

I don't usually eat until noon or later. Lots of veggies, moderate meat and carbs. I don't have a sweet tooth, so sugar is easy for me to avoid. I'm FINALLY seeing the scale move (slowly) downward.

I don't fully understand why this calorie reduction works better than the other calorie reduction plan that included a morning meal and the same calorie count. Weird, but I'm relieved to not feel like I HAVE to eat something in the morning.

• barb_roselover_in
    10 years ago

As you know from my earler posts, I have all kinds of issues, but I am so glad to hear you people talking about this. So many people just don't understand. Anyway,I have heard a lot about "miso". I take it, this is something you can make soup out of. When I was getting ready for the colon terror test, my instructions said No fluids or foods, but I could make a broth out of the Herb Ox Sodium Free Chicken Broth boullion. I liked it and the herbs that were in it , but today I noticed in the ingredients list Potassium Chloride which immediately raised a red flag. I remember someone saying that was a no-no. One thing I have not had an issue with is my heart (thank you, thank you, Lord). What is the deal.

Also it said this stuff miso is a fermented soy. The term fermented sounds like something I heard was good for your "gut bacteria". Boy, you learn something new, but good? everyday. Somebody give me the inside info on these things? Thanks so much. Barb

• grainlady_ks
    10 years ago

chi83-

I hope you get the results you want/need going wheat-free. We don't do without, we do "different" - different breads, pasta/noodles, etc. Hubby claims there isn't anything he thinks he's missing. You don't need to "give up" bread, pasta and baked goods, you make (or purchase) wheat-free ones.

We also find the longer we are wheat-free, the less we want many things we once thought we couldn't live without, and I think that's mostly because wheat products are so addictive and it took me about 3-months to get through those cravings.

Because you are dealing with insulin resistance, take care not to substitute one high-glycemic food (wheat products) with equally, or even higher, glycemic ones that are wheat-free and raise blood glucose just as much. Watch total carbohydrates from all food. Sprouting beans and grains first will lower the glycemic impact - which is especially important if you are using them for plant-based protein.

I use almond flour and coconut flour for baked goods. You might have some challenges if you decide to use coconut flour because the recipes generally require large amounts of eggs.

Good luck..... :-)

-Grainlady

• Chi
    10 years ago

Thanks Grainlady! Great tips.

I think with my insulin resistance, I have to be careful about the wheat substitutions. I know that some of the wheat free/gluten free options are high in alternative starches and are just as bad on the glycemic index, as you noted. I will play around with my quinoa and brown rice pasta and other non-wheat grains and see how I feel. Keeping the serving sizes much smaller will help as well.

My plan is to focus mostly on vegetables, with a lot of raw nuts and seeds and some dairy and eggs and some lower sugar fruit, like berries. Occasional tofu and beans. I don't believe high protein diets are especially healthy either so I think I should cover my protein adequately.

Would you mind sharing some of your almond flour and coconut flour recipes? There are so many out there that I have no idea where to start. Eggs are no problem for me.

Thanks again for your help!

• grainlady_ks
    10 years ago

barb_roselover_in-

If you have thyroid issues and are treated with synthetic thyroid hormone, soy can interfere with the medication. You might want to do more research on that - talk to your doctor and/or pharmacists. You may need to take soy a certain amount of time before or after medication so it doesn't interfere with it. There is also research that soy can make the thyroid work less efficiently.

At 600 mg. of sodium in a tablespoon of miso (which is about what it takes to make a bowl of miso soup - if my memory serves me from my former Macrobiotic days) and if you are on a sodium-restricted diet, that's a lot of sodium for a bowl of broth! If you are on a 1,500 mg low-sodium diet, that's nearly half of your daily allowance. Personally, I just can't find an up-side to soy products and avoid them at all costs.

There are better choices than miso if you want good bacteria for your "gut" like homemade milk kefir, fermented vegetables and fruit, homemade kombucha, homemade Rejuvelac, Kvass, homemade yogurt.....

Instead of Herb Ox powdered broth with questionable ingredients, how about making homemade broth? I freeze it in ice cube trays, pop the broth cubes out and keep them in a container in the freezer so I can have a small amount when needed to make a quick cup of broth. If I need a pan sauce, I'll melt a couple cubes (maybe thin it with water), and add some herbs/spices, heat through until it boils and add a pat of butter to thicken it, TA DA! Add a few cubes to rice for flavoring. Useful stuff, and better tasting than Herb Ox.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Broth Is Beautiful

• lpinkmountain
    10 years ago

Oh no Grainlady, you just threw my whole nutrient regime into a spin! :) I take synthyroid and I found out years ago that it can interfere with calcium absorption. Plus you're supposed to take the thyroid medication on an empty stomach. So I take it first thing in the morning, along with my morning coffee. But darn it, I put SOY milk in my coffee due to creeping lactose intolerance! I don't like almond or rice milk! Plus, later on I will often have fake soy sausage for breakfast because I really like it. Or scrambled tofu. I haven't worried too much about soy since I don't eat tons of it, just a couple times a week for the tofu or tvp, but the soy milk, about 1/8 cup every day. But I can't switch my thyroid to before bed, because that's when I take my calcium for optimal absorption along with D and C and magnesium. Helps with my restless leg syndrome too! I guess I could try and get used to black coffee, but I dunno, kinda yuk. I don't even like coffee but I have to drink low acid coffee now instead of tea, which is what I really like and how I would prefer to take my caffeine. Maybe I'll have to go back to half and half in my coffee. I also try to limit my dairy. I'm trying to keep my immune system and gut healthy, plus not gain a lot of weight. I do feel tremendously better on a diet of unrefined foods (lots of fiber) and low sugar, low dairy. It's hard though, because I do love wheat and all its permutations, sugar and dairy foods. I probably won't ever give them up totally, but trying to just keep it within reason is still a tough struggle! I haven't noticed some huge difference when I go gluten free, but not keeping my fiber intake high and snacking on lots of sugars, when I fall off the wagon and do that, it makes a huge difference in my overall health.

• John Liu
    10 years ago

I don't have any special diet for medical reasons. I seem to be able to injest- integrate-eliminate pretty much anything without fuss.

I go through periods of diet for weight loss. In fact, I'm about to start one such. During those times, I avoid grains and heavy starch (bread, rice, pasta, potato, etc), try to drink less alcohol, eat more vegetables and more meat/fish.

My normal eating habits are pretty average, except that I have little to no soda, pastries, desserts, candy - not much sugar, basically - but do drink over a quart of coffee most days, a pint of beer, and quite a bit of animal fat.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    10 years ago

I have never gone on a diet, therefore I know nothing about dieting.

I do have my way of eating, which is not backed up by any science. For whatever it is worth, here it is:

Regarding weight gain - Many years ago, I saw on TV a few scientists and nutritionists discussing dieting. One scientist was saying, our body is a smart machine with millions of years of intelligence built in. Many functions in our bodies are like a thermostat in a room. It will maintain the set temperature regardless of outside temperature. Unless you mess up the “thermostat”, the body is always self-healing and self-adjusting for optimal health.

It made a lot of sense to me because that is exact what I observed in nature. You just don’t see a fat zebra in a herd of a million zebras grazing on unlimited supply of food. You just don’t see a fat native in a village of primitive culture in a geographic location that is plentiful. Even amongst us, we all know a few lucky few who can eat and eat and never gain an oz. For them 1 + 1 is not 2 when it comes to calorie count.

We all know that within given limits, the body will stay at an exact temperature; it doesn’t matter if you are in a steamy sauna or out in the cold. Likewise, I think our bodies can in fact have the ability to regulate weight. In other words, when an optimum weight is reached, your body’s calorific absorption efficiency decreases drastically, but if you are hungry, every single calorie will be immediately taken without waste.

Regarding working out - Again, observing nature, while I believe that we should be physically active, I don’t believe that our bodies are designed for or need strenuous regular “working outs”. Jogging for miles and sweating daily in a gym is to me unnatural. It makes the body want more food all the time.

Regarding food cravings - I have two friends, one will not eat strawberries because he spent a few summers picking strawberries when he was in college, and one will not eat ice cream because she spent a few summers serving ice cream when she was in college. I feel that if you desire ice cream, eating a couple of spoons will definitely develop in you a burning craving that enslaves you every waking second of your day, then, you still will dream of ice cream when you go to bed. When I want ice cream, I will go buy a few containers and eat them up all on one setting. I will be so over ice cream for the next few years.

Foods that I eat everyday - Nothing structured. I eat all strange foods and I never go hungry. I have said this before, I don’t read too many healthy eating publications or researches, they all contradict each other, I just Google cultures who have the longest life span/expectance and I eat the way they eat. Simple and delicious.

As I have said also, we are all different and with different body chemistry. Don’t try the crazy ways I do, or you could be very sorry.

Good health to you all.

dcarch

• grainlady_ks
    10 years ago

chi83-

I'll post my go-to cookbook titles and favorite recipes in them, as well as a few recipes. You may find copies of these, and other GF cookbooks, at your local library. -Grainlady

"The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook" by Elana Amsterdam - be sure to check out her web-site - www.elanaspantry.com
    -Pecan Shortbread Cookies
    -Cheddar Cheese Crackers
    -Banana Blueberry Muffins
    -Cinnamon Apple Muffins
    -Date Pecan Muffins (a HUGE favorite)
    -Zucchini Bread
    -Eggplant Parmesan
    -Savory Vegetable Quiche
    -Asparagus Onion Quiche
    -Kale Tart with Cranberries

"Specific Carbohydrate Diet" \- Erica Kerwien \-Sour Cashew Cream (dairy\-free version of sour cream) \-Zucchini Sticks \-Parmesan Crackers \-Almond Saltine Crackers \-Tabbouleh (made with cauliflower) \-Sandwich Rounds (good sandwich bun substitute) \-Banana Bread (BEST recipe I've tried, and there have been many trials) \-Pumpkin Bread \-Roasted Ratatouille \-Recipes where cauliflower is substituted for high\-glycemic rice: Fried Cauliflower Rice, Roasted Cauliflower Rice

"The No-Gluten Cookbook" - Series Editor, Kimberly A. Tessmer, R.D., L.D.

-Crunchy Cornbread Squares (Can be used for sandwiches, especially good for grilled cheese sandwiches - as well as cornbread. Makes a 13x9" pan and is freezer-friendly.)

"Cooking with Coconut Flour"\- Burce Fife, N.D. (many of these recipes are available on\-line; many have stevia as a sweetener option) \-Coconut Bread (An all\-purpose loaf, good toasted or used for French Toast.) \-Lots of good muffin recipes (make 6 muffins per recipe) \-Cream Cheese Squares (egg\-free) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ My version of gluten\-free baking mix (Bisquick substitute) (makes 1\-cup) 1/2 c. almond flour (Honeyville or homemade) 1/2 c. hi\-maize resistant starch OR Jay Robb unflavored Whey Protein Isolate OR Pamela's Gluten\-Free, Wheat\-Free Baking Mix 1\-1/2 t. baking powder 1/4 t. salt 1 T. coconut oil Place in a mini\-food processor, or in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer, until coconut oil is mixed into dry ingredients. (Note: you can use a pastry blender or fork, but the FP or mixer mixes it quicker and better.) I use this mixture for "Impossible Pumpkin Pie" (a crustless pumpkin pie recipe, and many other Bisquick recipes. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Oatmeal Buttermilk Pancakes (Yield: 4\-6 small pancakes) In a 2\-cup measuring cup place: 1/2 c. quick oats (optional) 1 T. buckwheat flour OR Hodgson Mill Buckwheat Creamy Hot Cereal OR unsprouted OR sprouted buckwheat 1/3 c. buttermilk (or kefir, yogurt) Mix, cover and soak overnight at room temperature. Add and mix in: 1 egg 1 T. melted coconut oil Add dry ingredients: 1 T. palm sugar 1/4 t. baking powder 1/4 t. baking soda 1/4 t. salt Mix well. Add more liquid if the batter seems too thick. Make into small 3\-4\-inch pancakes. I make 4 pancakes at a time on my 11\-inch griddle.

PEANUT BUTTER CRUNCH COOKIES

1 stick butter
    3/4 c. peanut butter
    1 t. baking soda
    pinch of salt
    2 eggs
    1 c. unsalted dry roasted peanuts
    1/2 c. raw or roasted sunflower seeds
    1/2 c. almond flour
    1/2 c. palm sugar
    1/2 c. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1/2 c. unsweetened coconut
    1/2 c. cacao nibs (optional)

Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Place parchment paper on 2 baking sheets. Melt butter and peanut butter together (microwave or stove-top). Cool slightly, if hot, and place in large mixing bowl. Add eggs and mix well. Add remaining ingredients and blend using an electric hand-held mixer. Using a #50 portion scoop, place the dough on the baking sheets and slightly press to flatten. Bake for 12-minutes. Makes about 40 cookies. Place on wire cooling racks to cool completely.

MICROWAVE GLUTEN\-FREE CURRANT BREAD (This is adapted from a recipe I found on\-line and reminds me of an Irish\-style currant bread I made before going wheat\-free, and what we use for toast for breakfast.) Mix well in a 2\-cup measuring cup, or small bowl, using a hand\-powered rotary egg beater or with a fork: 1 lg. egg 1 t. water 1\-2 t. agave nectar OR low\-glycemic coconut nectar\* (or other sweetener of choice) 2 T. buttermilk (kefir or yogurt will also work) pinch of salt Add: 2 T. all\-purpose GF flour (Pamala’s, Bob’s Red Mill, etc.) 2 T. almond flour 2 T. quick oats (or other gluten\-free flakes) After batter is mixed, add 2 T. currants and stir to blend then into the batter. Place the batter in a prepared dish (spray with PAM) \- use a ramekin, mug, or glass bowl that easily holds at least 8\-ounces of liquid. Straight sides work better than rounded sides (I use a ramekin.) Microwave for 2\-minutes on HIGH (more or less time, depending on your microwave \- you may need to adjust it 15\-seconds one way or another). Flip out of baking container onto a wire cooling rack and cool completely. When cool, slice the bread into rounds using a long serrated bread knife. TIP: I place the muffin in a shallow lid, like a cottage cheese container lid or other lid that will accommodate the bread \- anywhere from 1/4\-inch to 1/2\-inch deep. Use the lid as a cutting guide so you get slices about the same thickness. Toast the slices for serving. \* Coconut Nectar \- le$$ expensive homemade version: 1\-1/2 c. palm sugar, ½ c. water. Heat over low heat until dissolved. Store in a jar in the refrigerator.

Almond Flour Bread
    (source: somewhere on-line, with my changes)

2-1/2 c. almond flour
    1/2 c. oat fiber (I use hi-maize resistant starch, or spent rye flour or buckwheat flour)
    1/4 c. unflavored whey protein powder
    1 T. granulated erythritol (I use Swerve)
    2 t. baking powder
    1/2 t. baking soda
    1 t. xanthan gum (do not omit)
    1/2 t. salt
    6-oz. Greek yogurt (I use drained kefir curd)
    6 T. butter, softened (I use coconut oil)
    4 lg. eggs
    6 T. almond milk (I also use coconut milk or milk kefir or coconut kefir - whatever I happen to have)

Preheat oven to 325-degrees F. Grease a 10x4-1/2 loaf pan.

In a medium bowl, whish together the almond flour. oat fiber, whey protein, erythritol, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt.

In a large bowl, beat together yogurt and butter until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time and scraping down bowl and beaters as needed. Add almond flour and beat until combined. Beat in almond milk until thoroughly combined.

Spread batter in prepared loaf pan, smoothing the top. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 15-minutes, then flip out onto a wire rack to cool completely. [Note: Slice in thin slices.]

QUINOA PANCAKES (adapted from a recipe found on\-line) 1 c. soaked quinoa (or quinoa sprouts \- raw) made from 3/4\-cup of dry quinoa\* 1\-2 T. raw honey (agave nectar or coconut nectar) 1\-1/2 T. coconut oil 1 egg 1/2 T. coconut flour 1/4 t. cinnamon 1/2 T. baking powder 1/4 t. salt \*To make quinoa sprouts: Using 3/4 c. quinoa, thoroughly rinse in a strainer and soak in a bowl with enough water to cover the quinoa by an inch or two, overnight. In the morning drain the water (use a fine\-mesh strainer). Measure out 1\-cup and use with the following directions. 1\. Process quinoa sprouts in food processor or blender until a wet batter is formed, 3\-5 minutes. 2\. Add wet ingredients and process until blended. 3\. Mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl. Add dry mix to batter and mix well. 4\. Heat greased skillet or griddle on low/medium heat. 5\. Using 1/4 cup of batter at a time, place on skillet/griddle. 6\. Cook for about 2\-minutes or until the pancake is golden. You should see bubbles form and then pop around the edges. Flip pancake and cook for a minute or two. \[Grainlady Note: Make the cakes small \- more like pikelets \- and cook slowly on LOW heat for best results.\] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ SUPER\-SIMPLE BANANA COOKIES 2\-3 mashed bananas 2 c. oats 1 c. chopped dates (or other dried fruit \- cranberries, cherries, blueberries, apricots snipped into 1/4\-inch cubes using kitchen scissors) 1/3 c. coconut oil 1 t. vanilla pinch of salt Preheat oven to 350\-degrees F. Mix ingredients well, drop by teaspoonful onto parchment\-lined baking sheets (I use a \#50 or \#70 portion scoop). Press the dough until about 1/4\-inch thick. Bake 20\-25 minutes until golden brown. Options: use 1/4\-1/2 c. mini semi\-sweet chocolate chips, chopped nuts, cacao nibs..... \[I usually make this recipe using 1 banana, 1 c. oats (I use sprouted oats I dehydrate and flake), 1/2 c. dried fruit/nuts/chocolate chips/nibs....or a mix of those, 2 T. coconut oil, 1/2 t. vanilla and pinch of salt. Makes 1 baking sheet of cookies \- or about 20 small cookies. I bake them on a parchment\-lined pizza pan in my Convection/Microwave oven or solar oven.\]
  • Chi
    10 years ago

Thank you! I really appreciate it.

• compumom
    9 years ago

May I post this on a specific Facebook page for folks who are trying to go gluten free due to Thyroid and other autoimmune disorders? I think they'd really appreciate these T&T recipes.

• plllog
    9 years ago

I was thinking about this thread today while I was making strawberry minipies. I discovered that the secret to my almost good whole wheat crust recipe--the secret to making it actually good--is to leave it in the fridge for a least a full day, not just the minimum chill, and let it warm up to just barely cold before rolling. Big difference! I infer that it allows the gluten to develop. I made gluten free pies a couple of months ago (for a Celiac sufferer) with the Bob's mix. It worked fine for keeping the pie together, but wasn't particularly edible. I think I'd rather make a cobbler or betty with just a little crumb, than try to make pie without gluten again.

Personally, I don't have many restrictions as a guest. I'm allergic to fish that isn't literally today's catch and kept cold, or processed on the boat when it was just caught, and served cold. I.,e., I can eat usually tuna salad but not tuna casserole, and I can eat very very fresh fish hot. The worst reactions I've had were when non-fish things were made with fish stock. One can't see, smell or taste the fishy when things are cooked with fish stock, and thereby refuse it. My face goes numb. It's scary, because you never know when it's going to go to the respiratory system. Rather than saying the above to people, I just say I'm allergic to fish. I'm also allergic to coconut, mango, and papaya (and perhaps others, but not guava, pineapple or passion fruit), but not as severely. In general, I'm lucky that things I'm allergic too taste awful to me, like why would you put that thing in your mouth? That's why fish stock is so scary. It's loaded with the broken down proteins (which I've been informed is what I'm allergic to, but I don't know the science myself), but I can't taste it buried under the flavor of the food that was prepared in it.

If I'm presented with fish as the only choice at a formal meal, I'll nibble carefully and if it doesn't have that taste, and knowing that my hosts, if they use stock, it's chicken or veggie from a carton, I'll eat it. Otherwise, I'll push it around a little. It's easier to avoid the fruit, but I worry with everybody pushing cooking and baking with coconut products, that I might have to start being that annoying guest who queries of every dish, "This doesn't have coconut in it, does it?"

As a hostess, I'm happy to cater to my guests, even if it sometimes makes me nuts. Y'all helped me with my gluten free vegan loaf recipe, and I now have something that tastes and looks good, and has enough protein to be called a main dish. I do not approve of giving vegans nothing but salad and pasta. Recently a couple of pescatarians have come into my life, but given my relationship with fish, they're getting quiche or vegan loaf or something. I've also gotten some gluten free yeast dough recipes to try. That's for amusement's sake, since I can just as easily prepare a starch like rice or potatoes, and a meal that doesn't require gluten. Only thing is the one Celiac goes hand in hand with one of the pescatarians. :) So to please both of them, if I can manage gluten free pizza (and I'm still perfecting my whole wheat gluteny pizza recipe), it'll be fun for them.

I also have the allergic to nuts, the would rather eat baked potatoes than anything I might make, the won't eat anything that's all muddled together (e.g., pot pie), the low sodiums, etc. Then there's the whole category of how kosher are you? There are the ones who won't even drink from my glasses, even though there's nothing in the laws that would prevent them from doing so, the ones who are so crazy about what they can eat that even if I make a totally kosher meal all the way through they wouldn't eat it, but will bring their own (generally guys who make their wives pack it for them), the one who will eat kosher by me but for whom it must be rigorously kosher, the ones who want kosher meat and separate meat from dairy, but don't care about the dishes, the ones who will only eat dairy but don't care about the dishes, the ones who only eat cold dairy with no acid foods unless you use their knife even though there's a perfectly fine knife kept for strictly kosher parve prep here, and the ones who are in a big muddle and make it up as they go along.

I really do try to have something for everybody. And if I didn't love these people enough to accommodate them, I wouldn't bother inviting them anyway, but with some, it's easier to order in and use paper plates. :)

• jakkom
    9 years ago

Spouse isn't allergic to anything, and is one of those who can drink espresso before going to bed and fall immediately asleep.

I'm mildly allergic to a few things. Nothing truly serious, if I keep them to a minimum I have zip problems except for a little asthma. I have a grain allergy but the only grain I try seriously to avoid is buckwheat -- instant wheezing! Killer because I'm JapAm and loved soba...oh, well. Otherwise, I can do the equivalent of three bread slices or one big bowl of rice/noodles daily, without too much trouble.

When I was younger I loved fish and shellfish, but now I find myself liking them less. No symptoms, but outside of salmon (and caviar, woohoo!) I'll eat a very modest amount and then push it aside, whereupon my DH, who is a seafood fanatic, promptly gobbles it up. Yes, he loves going to dinner with me, wonder why? [smile]

I have to be more careful about the fact that I'm allergic to the leading prescribed painkiller (Vicodin) and the most popular antibiotic (Cephalexin). The doctors are not happy when I tell them this.

We eat a varied diet. I love dining out and we do it often. We're currently comparing the four new "authentic" Italian trattorias that have opened in our city within the last year. It's amazing how we used to have to seize any rare opportunity to have baccala, dried salt cod, because hardly anyone offered it. Now it makes regular appearances on menus, and last night we had a roast baccala dish that the chef said his grandmother used to make for the Italian 7 Fishes dinner--FABULOUS!

My DH is Portuguese/Chinese and grew up with baccala (they spell it bacalhau, but it's the same thing). We agreed it's the best salt cod dish we've ever had: well-soaked cod, gently shredded, served on thin slices of crispy polenta that were meltingly creamy inside a breadcrumbed shell, with finely shredded sauteed pimenton peppers and white onions. The ingredients were high quality and the execution was perfection. We told the chef that dish should stay on the menu permanently!

• grainlady_ks
    9 years ago

jkom51-

Buckwheat is related to rhubarb, sorrel and knotweed, so they may cause a similar problem that buckwheat does. And be sure to stay away from buckwheat hull-filled pillows. They test for high levels of allergens.

-Grainlady

• jakkom
    9 years ago

Grainlady - good to know, thanks!

• Alan-01
    9 years ago

I was never on a diet. I eat only vegetarian diet.