SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elba10

Apple Pie Bars

elba1
11 years ago

HI folks, my son made apple pie bars for a church fundraiser this weekend, and they were a big hit. Maybe I'm the only one who never thought of this, but it was a good idea - like serving samples of pie to many more people than a regular pie would feed. I think he used a Taste of Home recipe, but he basically made a double pie crust, put half in the bottom of a jelly roll pan, made small chunk apple pie filling for the middle, topped with the other crust & baked it (he did use a thickener, flour I think, and they were not runny at all when served). When it was cool, he used a glaze that I know had confectioner's sugar & a bit of lemon juice in it. Since you cut it into bars, you can cut them any size you want. You could eat it with your fingers & it wasn't really messy. You could do this with any pie filling of course, and could also tint the glaze for different occasions e.g. berry pie bars with pink glaze for Valentine's Day, maybe apple with raisins & green glaze for St. Patrick's Day, pastel squiggle glaze for Easter, etc. I think this would be a great idea for when I host book club, as some women watching their wastlines would be hesitant to take a whole piece of pie (or they leave some on their plate to go to waste), but wouldn't hesitate to take a small "sample" if the bars aren't cut too big. Just thought I'd share, as they were really good - hope someone can use the idea!

Comments (15)