SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

Trader Joe Cherries and Cherry pie

marys1000
16 years ago

I bought Trader Joe Cherries which are in a jar in a light syrup that looks very liquid/water like. (i.e. not at all like pie cherry glop on the can).

The ingredients are cherries (Morello which ATK says are better for pie than the Montmorency that you get here in the states, I have no idea whether its really true), water, sugar, syrup of glucose and fructose.

Now the last cherry pie experiment I made with frozen cherries was a disaster. I threw it away. Not sure exactly what I did wrong, many cherry pie recipes don't get into any real detailed depth of canned, vs. frozen, vs. home canned, etc.

How do I prepare these cherries for pie? In the jar they look soft and possibly mushy already. Do I drain them and start with just the cherries and sugar? Do I heat it up? I no longer have the AKT library book I saw the recommendation for these cherries in but I may have to go back to the library and re-check it out and see what it says.

For gardeners and others interested here is some info on sour cherries from innvista.com

Sour cherries are too tart to eat raw and must be cooked. Fresh sour cherries contains about six times the Vitamin A as fresh sweet cherries, but all fresh cherries are good sources of Vitamin C. Since many of the sour cherries are preserved, this is made easier with the advent of cherry pitters. Olive pitters work just as well and make pitting much easier with less waste. The two main types of sour cherry are as follows:

-- Morello have dark juice. In France, morello cherries form a popular confectionary item known as griottes, which are a specialty of the Franche-Comt Long-stalked griotte cherries are plentiful in the vicinity of Besançon, and also form the basis for a popular confection. The black Morello cherry is an essential for black cherry jam and dessert dishes.

-- Amarelle have a light, almost colourless juice. Montmorency is a famous variety and are bright red cherries with a sweet-sour flavour. They are the most popular sour cherry in Canada and have given their name to a range of dishes, which include the fruit, from duck to gâteau to ice creams. English cherries are small, bright orangey-red fruit with soft translucent flesh and mainly used for preserves.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!