Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is 'juice of one lemon' in tablespoons?

Posted by aptosca (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 08 at 9:41

I made a recipe that called for that and it came out soupy so I am guessing the Meyer lemons from my tree produce more juice then the grocery store lemons. I hate it when a recipe doesn't give accurate measurements.

Anyone know the answer?
Thanks.
Clare

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is 'juice of one lemon' in tablespoons?

1 medium lemon should produce about 2 tablespoons of juice and 2 tablespoons of grated rind.

Since 'medium' is variable, I never worry too much about measuring lemon juice or rind. If I happen to have what I consider to be a large lemon, I'll use all the juice from that, even if it's half a cup or so. It's a rare feat to over-do the lemon, I reckon.

You'll get more lemon juice from a lemon if you zap it for a few seconds in the microwave before cutting it; or if you roll it firmly under the heel of your hand back and forth for a minute or two.

o

Clare, recently I measured when I juiced a lemon and got 2 tablespoons. However when I googled it this is what I found. Sounds right to me.

-Robin

"Fresh lemons keep fairly well in the crisper of your fridge (about 2 weeks). The juice of one lemon varies greatly. A large lemon has about 4 tablespoons of lemon juice but when a recipe calls for the juice of one lemon, you never really know. Start with 2 tablespoons and increase the amount for taste. If you must use bottled lemon juice, shake the bottle well. Use equivalent amounts of bottled to fresh lemon juice in a recipe."

o

Thanks for the information everyone. I will write that down on the recipe.

daisy - I always roll my lemons before using to get the jucice. This time I did over do it with too much juice and the cake didn't cook right.

Robin - I think I got about 4 or more tablespoons. So that is why it was soupy. I must have very juicy lemons.
Clare

o

We grow our own Meyer lemons and one of our lemons will produce easily twice as much juice as a grocery store lemon. The standard is actually 1 medium lemon = 3 Tbls of juice - at least according to the new Foodies card game my niece brought for us to play at the last family potluck, LOL!

o

FYI---Melinda Lee, local L.A. radio talkshow chef has all the conversions on her website for easy retrieval. She's on talk radio every Saturday and Sunday morning for a few hours. I've not used her recipes and I know Diana doesn't like her, but I've gained quite a bit of knowledge just in the short time I'm in the car every week.

Here is a link that might be useful: Melinda Lee's Measurements

o

jkom51 - I should have remembered that ours do too but I was in a hurry.

compumom - Thanks for the link. I will bookmark it.

But now I am more confused, is a lemon 2 Tbls or 3 Tbls. The experts should make up their minds. And recipes should be tested and if it calls for 2 Tbls it should state that, not juice of one lemon. Grrrrrrrrrr!

Thanks.
Clare

o

The lemons on my tree are not ripe right now, and so I had to pay 89 each for lemons at the market, which I hate doing. Anyway, I squeezed one lemon and got 1/4 cup of juice, or 4 tbsp. Normally, from one of my lemons I get from 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup of juice per lemon. It's extremely inaccurate to call for lemon juice by per lemon, since there is great variance from one lemon to another. I'm surprised anyone uses lemons that only have two tablespoons, however. I do feel lucky that I got 1/4 cup of juice from a grocery store lemon, but it had a lot less flavor than my own lemons, and I had to add the juice of another half lemon to make my hummus come out right.

Lars

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here