Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's For Dinner #304

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 18, 10 at 8:58

I've gone back to look at Kathleen's popovers numerous times. I'd love one dripping in butter.

Sharon, great looking Indian dinner. Looks like you found two new restaurants worth going back to.

Annie, Rhubarb Pie is my favourite. Wish I could have a slice of yours. Can't wait until the first rhubarb of the season.

Nancy, that has to be one of the best looking corn beef dinners I've ever seen.

A few of the foods we had to eat recently.

Cheddar Cheese Cookies

Bacon, Cheddar and Green Onion Biscuits

Raspberry Meringue Roulade

Cabbage Rolls

Homemade Pizza

and
Brown Sugar and Maple Syrup Scones

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's For Dinner #304!!!!!

Ooops, not sure how that happened. Pizza topped with mushrooms and sliced Kalamata olives.

o
RE: What's For Dinner #304

well, not that I minded seeing those cabbage rolls twice, but I'm glad I got to see that gorgeous pizza crust - yum!

Also those cheddar cheese cookies - I'll be off to your blog later to check those out, Ann.

o

Sitting here, stomach growling, trying to eat a Brown Sugar and Maple Syrup Scone off the monitor. I'd jump up and go make some if I didn't have to leave soon to continue shopping for kitchen redo stuff.
Tomorrow I'm stuck here at home...maybe then!

They look like heaven, nice Ann.

Nancy

o

Ann, I just thought your cabbage rolls were, somehow, a metaphor for...pizza.

Well, it's dangerous waking up to scones; I haven't made savory scones in over a year, because I will eat, every one of them. So the light and dark angels on my shoulders are duking it out as we speak.

Speaking of duking it out, has anyone ever tried Dukkah?(Doo-kah)

Last year, I stumbled onto this delicious Egyptian blend of sorts. It consists of toasted nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, or macadamia nuts), seeds and spices.
It is served with warm bread, which you first dip in olive oil, and then dip into Dukkah.

I'm so addicted to this stuff, I've been sprinkling it on just about everything, from vegetables, to soups and salads. Divine! And I'm contemplating using it as a rub for roasted meats.

Dukkah

I've consumed so much of this stuff, I'm slowly morphing into my pet, Hamrietta.

Fennel, Arugula and Shrimp Salad was my dinner last night. The guys had homemade pizza, which they never tire of, unlike me. Besides, the weather is looking fine, and I guess I'm in the mood for lighter fare.

Green Goddess Soup; I made this for Saint Patrick's Day. The bread was supposed to look like a four-leaf clover, instead it looks like, well, I'll leave this to your imagination.

I also made more cheesy crackers, for soups and snacks for Thumper. The one pictured was one I planned to include in my Gumbo blog entry, but didn't bother. Anyway, these are an adaptation of Bernard Clayton's cheese crackers, and Thumper loves them, so I make them often.

Tonight, I'm just roasting a chicken, so pictures aren't necessary. Later today, I'll be hanging out at Horrock's. Yes, my life is one wild party after another. But, the sun is out, temps will be in the mid 60s, and I can already tell, it's going to be a wonderful day. I hope it will be the same for everyone here.

Sol

o

OMG, Sol, I LOVE Horrock's. My Jeep is programmed to pull off that 93B exit every time I go through Lansing to Elery's or back home. And I love the crab cracker...

Ann, I'd love one of those scones right now, it would make a fine lunch. I'm also going to check out the cheese cookies.

Nancy, have fun shopping for that kitchen re-do.

What's for supper? Last night Cooper and I had the obligatory corned beef/cabbage/mashed potato supper, I'm at work so no pictures. What's tonight? Darned if I know, Ashley is at her internship all day and then has to be at work at 6 at the local bar/restaurant she just started working for. Of course, she needs her portfolio for school tomorrow and left it at my house, so I'll have to leave work and take it and drop it off, so dinner will have to wait. I think I'll let Cooper ride along, he's good company...

Annie

o

Hey AB, Horrock's is expanding, after some 30 + years. I was there about a month ago, while they were in the process of renovating, and the whole place was a mazed disaster. So I'll be checking it out today, and report back.

Sol

o

Oh, Sol, expanding? I hope they don't get to be like the Grand Rapids Horrock's, just a glorified grocery store with a nice produce section. Sigh.

On the upside, since Russo's has expanded, one of the family has splintered off and opened another store, much like the original Russo's (and much cheaper than the expanded and now upscale GB Russo's). Russo's Wine Warehouse is now on Kalamazoo, right in the same shopping plaza as the Mediterranean Market. How convenient for me, LOL.

Annie

o

I need to go back and look at the older thread as I am so behind.

Ann that pizza looks so good. I would love a slice of that right now.

Sol that Green Goddess Soup looks outstanding! Please share with me how you made it. And that Crab cracker is a work of art! I love it.

Tonight for is grilled teriyaki marinated pork tenderloin along with broccoli and rice. I'm not going to whine but husbands surgery was to be on Monday and it had to be cancelled due to some issues. Now we are back at square one again (although surgery is now for April 6) but it really threw me for meal plans, etc. Life goes on...

o

In case you're wondering what vegetarians eat for dinner - it was pasta primaavera tonight, except most of the veggies were frozen ones I have to use up since I discovered duplicates. I'm trying to clear out my fridge to make room for summer produce. The prima vera was also to use up some bits of cheese I have left in the fridge, this time neufatchel and parmesean. It was pretty healthy but that's becaue I didn't put enough CHEESE sauce on it, lol!

o

Ann, those scones look amazing. I've added green onions to my next grocery list so I can make some!

Sol, you missed your calling. You'd make a wonderful food stylist for cookbooks!

Last time I was at the grocery, they had small sirloin steaks on sale for crazy-cheap. I bought a few and tossed them in the freezer. Had half of one tonight, seared rare with just a bit of garlic and coriander, some roasted asparagus and a baked potato. As if that weren't more than enough, I made Terri's brownies and had one (OK, one and a half) for dessert.

o

I haven't opened this thread for ages. Think I missed the entire last one! Some fabulous looking and sounding food as usual!

Haven't been cooking for a while, lots of restaurant meals and I'm sick of it! So last night I cooked a gorgeous two bone prime rib, yorkshire puddings, mashed potato, gravy, squash and a wild mushroom medley.

Not sure about tonight. I'm thinking smoked ribs.

o

Renee I was thinking the same thing! Sol I really enjoy your photos! That little crab cracker is calling me, "Lpink come and get me!"
I didn't even think about crackers as a fun, less sugary thing to do with kids, I think I feel a kids activity coming on for my spring garden fling at the after school center . . . ! Crackers with veggie spread or some such thing. I'm wondering if you could decorate them with cream cheese and vegetable bits.

o

I'd love a taste of Ann's cheese scones or cheddar cookies. They look so good!

Sol that dukkah sounds delicious. I love Arab influenced food and especially those tapas types of nibbles. Lovely green soup too. Who plays the clarinet?

Today we have high temperatures due to a sirocco wind from the desert bringing heavy sand suspension in the air and beautiful warm air....74F (23C and a bit). I was going to cook a hot dinner today with chicken tenders but opted out and stopped after gym class to buy the extra ingredients.
Made it all into a copycat recipe of a dish that I love which is served in a nearby French restaurant:

Mixed romain lettuce and spinach, red onion, tomato, cucumber, avocado stuffed with lumps of Gorgonzola blue cheese, topped with stir fried paprika chicken tenders.
Just hit the spot after walking home in the hot sun with groceries and didn't take long to put together.

ShronCb

o

Annie, I'm glad capital punishment is illegal in MI., because you would've killed me when I told you I never made it to Horrock's yesterday. Forgive! Jim came home early and we went out for lunch. Then we picked up Thumper from school, and he wanted to go 'treasure hunting' in our woods. We never found the pot of gold we were searching for, but we had fun exploring.
In any case, I'll be heading over to Horrock's this afternoon, and nothing's gonna stop me. Nothing!

Thanks Renee! I never grew up. I'm not nearly as finicky now as when I was a kid, but I still spend as much time playing with my food as I do eating it.

Lpink, Farfalle has always been Sam's pasta of choice, and being a vegetarian, I know she would dive into that Pasta Primavera. I would too, but I'd need more cheese [G]

Sharon, you are, without question, the reigning queen of salads!
Btw, I think you'll like Dukkah. There are endless variations to this appetizer, so it's fun to experiment.
Mine is a blend of toasted pistachios, blanched almonds, sesame seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and sea salt. Sometimes I add red pepper flakes for heat, but I tend to stick with a basic mixture.

Dixie, this is a cold soup I made for my vegetarian Sam; neither of us are big fans of of Cilantro, so I substitute Parsley.

Green Goddess Soup

1 poblano pepper
2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 avocado
Juice of 2 limes
Juice of 1 lemon
3 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Roast poblano pepper under broiler (or grill) to blacken all sides, about 5 minutes. Cover pepper in plastic wrap and allow steam to loosen the skin, about 8-10 minutes. Remove skin and seeds, and finely chop pepper. Set aside.

Peel, pit and chop the avocado into -inch pieces. Sprinkle the juice of 2 limes over the avocado, to prevent oxidation.

Place the poblano pepper, cucumber, celery, scallions, cilantro and avocado in a large bowl. Stir in buttermilk, salt, black pepper, cumin, and juice of 1 lemon. Transfer half the soup to a food processor and blend until creamy. Stir it back into the bowl with the remaining soup. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Serves 6.

Note: I prefer this soup smooth, not chunky, so I process all the ingredients in the FP, until smooth.

Sol

o

Sol thank you for sharing the recipe. It sounds wonderful. I love cold soups during the hot summer months here. I've got it copied AND I couldn't agree with you more that Sharon is the Queen of Salads. Every time I see her pictures, I just crave a salad.

o

beautiful photos...I'd like a nice red fresh tomato, please, SharonCB.

Sol, great photos - (especially the 4 leaf clover!!! LOL)
I am going to save that GG soup recipe as well, and no subbing for me - anything with cilantro and poblanos??? I'm all over it.

lpink, that primavera looks like my kind of dinner...:-)

This morning, Will and I had the post St. Patty's day breakfast...been looking forward to it more than the corned beef and cabbage! Yum!

Photobucket

o

The hash looks wonderful! We didn't have ours yet, no meat on Fri. and I forgot today!
S, I emailed you about the popovers...but just in case..I used an individual molten lava pan..you know the one with the removable bottom...
Photobucket

and Ina's recipe..Very easy..heat the pan first, and no peeking..

Sol, your pictures are wonderful..try for a shamrock next time, LOL...but I'd eat anything you made..hold the cilantro here too. Your pig is too cute! And your crab... Just like all you HOT gals on this forum, LOL..(that was in the last thread I think!)
And the doodah..:) do you mix it or buy it that way??

Ann, the biscuits and cheddar cookies look amazing! I don't eat olives, but I would pick them off gladly!

Lpink how healthy..
Sharon, everything you show looks so fresh, delicious and healthy!
You know what we've been eating, so I'll show the tables..

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Kathleen, the black and white table is beautiful, but I really, really like that green setting best!

Sharon, as always that salad is beautiful, mine never look like that....

Lpink, I think I'd like your prima vera!

Stacy, I'd have a big serving of your hash, right after I ate Lpink's vegetarian pasta, LOL.

Chase, I think if I ate in restaurants that much, I wouldn't even be hungry. Well, maybe for prime rib....

Renee, I'll just take a brownie and some asparagus, I'm still kind of full from the hash and the pasta. (grin)

Sol, you didn't go to Horrock's? I can't believe it. I'm stuck with strawberries from Meijer's (on sale for $1 a quart) and you passed up Horrock's? (sigh) What is the world coming to??? :-)

BTW, I checked their sale flier. Pears for 59 cents a pound, carrots 3 lbs. for 99 cents, 8 oz whole mushrooms for 89 cents, milk $2.28 a gallon. I'd have made pear preserves at that price!

So, what's for dinner? Ummmm.....the last piece of rhubarb pie and this morning's coffee warmed in the microwave. (grin) The Princess and Bruvver were here last night, and The Princess used the Danish Dough Whisk that Renee sent me to make waffles:

Photobucket

Bruvver and Cooper waited, kind of patiently: "Just be patient, Cooper, we'll have waffles".

Photobucket

"Yeah, well, tell her she'd better hurry or I'm eating the rabbit!"

Photobucket

So, we had a big breakfast of waffles and bacon before I went to the farm, and I wasn't very hungry when I got home, pie and coffee sounded just right. Oh, and meet the newest addition to the herd, "Moo-kayla". She's the calf on the right, she'll be kept to increase the herd, the other will be "What's For Dinner" next year. Right now Bruvver is insisting that I call him "Moo-David". He didn't get the joke at all, LOL.

Photobucket

Annie

o

Annie, it's dark green, not black..and thanks..
That wisk is almost as big as she is! She is adorable!
My 4 run for the ice cream scoops as soon as they come here, so I had to make sure I have one for each..can't stand the arguing!
That's a hare raising joke..:)

o

im a lurker although i read the wfd thread everyday...but annies picture with cooper and the rabbit....omg talk about cleaning coffee off the screen of a laptop!!! that made my day...oh ps i did say coffee so im really not totally off topic..am i? lol

o

Stacy, that hash looks absolutely fabulous! I could never get my eggs to come out "pretty" like those are! LOL

Kathleen, I always love to see your beautiful table settings. But where oh where do you store all of those various sets of dishes and serving pieces! LOL

Moo-Kayla...Hahaha! That is cute!

I haven't made any dinners in a couple of days but tonight I'm making Sue's Roadhouse Ribs. I may be inspired to serve popovers with them!

I have a batch of Ann's baguette dough in the fridge so I can try her pizza method tomorrow or Tuesday. Claire's pizza recipe is always a winner with us, but I like to change it up every now and then!

Linda

o

I've been eating my usual endless leftovers for dinner. I would be eating leftover pasta primavera except I still have leftover soup and leftover chili in line ahead of it. I made Ann T's maple scones which have been on my "What's for Breakfast" menu for the past two days, but that's OT and I wouldn't want to do that. I should take a photo just for laughs--Lpink's version of an Ann T recipe, just to show the contrast in the way my scones look and hers. Oh well, they taste good.

Kathleen I love your table settings, that's one of my favorite dish combos, white and cut glass. That's actually sort of the theme of one of my three sets of dishes. One is cream with gold trim, which is Grandmas old set, the other is the white and glass theme, and the thrid is my more rustic and colorful pottery stuff. BTW, what's the cake on the pedestal? It looks interesting.

Doucanoe I thought the same thing when I looked at Sherry's egg's, "Why don't mine ever turn out that nice looking?" My cooking leaves a lot to be desired aesthetically speaking, but I don't care, it's usually just for me and if it tastes good and just looks a little rumpled, well that's just like me too actually.

o

loggerbaby123, welcome to the forum, now you've taken the leap, post something! You must have dinner, LOL, and I've posted peanut butter and jelly so coffee is good....

In fact, that's what I'm having right now.

Annie

o

We are heading to our local Crab House tonight for dinner. Today is the 1st Anniv. of our Mom's death and to celebrate we are going to be picking Blue Crabs which was one of her favorite meals. We will also have steamed shrimp, scallops, hushpuppies and coleslaw. I'm sure my brother will order some oysters also. Wish the corn was in season because they would have that too. We will all have a good time and I know Mom will be looking down on us all and smiling!:)

o

Dixie, what a wonderful memory of your Mom. Enjoy all your happy remembrances.

Annie

o

Aw Dixie - that is a great way to remember your mom. Have a good time with the family.

And Loggerbaby - welcome! Glad to see you have come out of lurkdom.

We are having Grilled Pizza tonight with Chopped Salad and several cocktails LOL! Long weekend of yard work, switching winter/summer clothes, sort of moving back into the MBR (the bed is there) and I am about all in.

Got some great stuff at the Farmers market for salads and grill this week though, so I may even have some meals worth posting about!

Alexa

o

Kathleen, your tables look great! I especially love Battenburg and that floral arrangement is 'top hat'....pun intended.

Chase...many of us go in spurts with our cooking. I've eaten out the last two nights and can't wait for a home cooked dinner tonight. I love the smell of dinner cooking, I have Swiss steak smells wafting through the house right know.

Annie..adorable pictures! Poor "next years WFD"!

Dixie, have a fun dinner tonight, great way to keep Mom's memory alive.

Alexa, you deserve and relaxing evening after all that!

Hi! and Welcome! to Loggerbaby. Join in anytime and I just have a quick hint... Miracle Cloths...great for cleaning computer screens...LOL

Nancy

o

Kathleen's table settings are always so beautiful. The complete opposite of my house. I actually had to slide to newspaper to right to fit my plate in front of me tonight. Good thing nobody is taking pictures.

Annie, those pictures are precious. Your cows look so content. Probably because you do all the work. LOL

I finally made corned beef and cabage last night for my Mom. I tried two ways. One in the oven at 275 and one on the stove top at a simmer. The overwhelming favorite was the oven version. I will stick with that one in the future. Tonight was Eileen's Ropa Veija. I love that stuff! No pitures though.

o

Greetings to everyone I missed earlier, I was in a hurry to finish up dinner.

Dinner was very tasty tonight, one of those favorites that I haven't made in ages. Nothing fancy but it hit the right spot!

SWISS STEAK, YUKON GOLD MASHED POTATOES AND ROASTED ASPARAGUS
Swiss Steak

Nancy

o

Nancy, I'll take tasty over fancy anytime...if I have to choose. Looks pretty danged good to me!

jude

o

Ann, I just didn't think you could do it. But you're outdoing your own work. Those cheddar biscuits are perfect. The scoring, the light touch of salt, the color, I am blown away. Then I move on to the next picture, my eyes touching and tastebuds active on each and every morsel. I'm in awe.

Sol? Is there anything you can't do with gumpaste? I mean come on! That pig, instead of being nauseating, as pigs can be, is adorable. I just want to pinch her cheeks. And your salad, the lettuce absolutely looks like it's floating. Talk about a light meal! Oy!

Dixie, Best wishes for your husband's speedy recovery. I'll take a plate of grilled teriyaki marinated pork tenderloin along with broccoli and rice, while we're waiting.

lpink? "trying to clear out my fridge to make room for summer produce". I'll say it again. Summer produce! Doncha just love the sound of that? I love love love peas and bowtie pasta. My vegetarian meal was way less than healthy. It had potatoes, summer squash (they were calling my name! little orbs of gold ((at $2.50 a pound) Harumph. something you can't get rid of at the end of the summer), and corn. But it was full of creamy chowder goodness. Yours looks way healthier.

Sharon, I still don't crave salads, but you'll convert me soon enough. I'd eat yours especially with those stir fried paprika chicken tenders.

Kathleen, that is one delicious looking popover. And your table, as beautiful as a you are.

Annie, your pictures are cute. I can't believe it's name the cow time already. Yea!

Nancy, my mouth is watering for asparagus with cracked pepper, gravy over swiss steak, and yukon golds. It's morning for gosh sakes! I don't need that. But I'd sure love it!

Last night? I had a cooking marathon yesterday. So by the time dinner rolled around, I only had LoriJean's granola. Yum! This is the second time I've made it. I decided I wanted it to be "clumpier" (doesn't that sound appetizing?!), so I doubled the honey in it. Also, what I had in the house was coconut and some dried cranberries. I didn't like the way the cranberies (did you know they're not whole berries, but chopped up? at least the Sunmaid brand, I think, is) looked, so I decided to plump them up with some orange juice. It was good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vanilla scented granola

o

Nancy, that Swiss Steak dinner makes me want to eat another dinner! My mom always made something she called Swiss Steak but hers was swimming in canned tomatoes....of course then again, that was my mom's cooking! LOL

Finally thawed and used two of the tuna steaks I bought in Chicago. Took all your advice and simply seasoned them, grilled them and made grilled Tuna Salad Nicoise. I cooked them a little more than you all suggested, I don't care for raw fish. But I didn't go too far, so they were tender and juicy, not dry! It was delicious and healthy!

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

Linda

o

Lpink, the pedestal holds a large Irish Soda Bread..

Dixie, that's a lovely tradition in your mom's memory..

Linda, I have several cabinets full of dishes, and the more seasonal are on those big chrome racks in the basement, much to my dh's displeasure.
I don't like fish much and raw, noooo!

Thanks for the table comments..my hobby! Not for everyone, I know..but I am not into shoes...:)

Sunday was my little gdau's bday. She requested one layer white, one chocolate, iced in whipped cream with pink writing. So I made her this..
It is filled with whipped cream and cherries, a thin layer of melted choc on the top layer under the whipped cream..

Photobucket

Just got a quick pic of the inside...not too clear..
Photobucket

o

Nancy, my Grandma's swiss steak always had tomatoes too, I didn't like it. Yours looks good, with no tomatoes!

Rob, I just made granola a couple of weeks ago, it's so much better than the stuff from the store. Yes, it's name the beef time again, but this year's have already been named by the Grandkids. Moo-Kayla and David Cowser, LOL.

Linda, so you liked the tuna?

Kathleen, that's an absolutely perfect birthday cake for a little girl, it's lovely.

I've had dinner(s) and I have pictures, but I haven't gotten them loaded yet!

Annie

o

Your cake is perfect for a little girl's birthday Kathleen. And the inside looks delicious!

Annie that photo of Cooper starting to 'eat' the rabbit was priceless with your comment! Had me laughing my head off.

We've been having poached salmon with multi vegetables, then leftovers and the other day the whole wheat pasta that I posted to the pasta thread, using Marilyn's recipe for Spaghetti with Pancetta and Peas. Really a good one.

I think today I'll be doing hake fish (no heads) with roasted Parmesan asparagus and anything else that my dietman might recommend at my visit coming up this morning.
(Still trying to lose another 3 kilos.) So for the moment I'll just put that spaghetti pic here.

My little Siamese cat Bibi has been in the vet's clinic since Saturday, getting over a flu virus with a high temperature. He phoned to say she's much better and eating like a little horse, so she should be back home here in a day or so. I feel better leaving her there for a few days, knowing she's under professional care than bringing her home too soon.

SharonCb

o

Stacy, that's the type of robust breakfast I need this morning.

AB, the pretty little princess looks so sleepy. And Cooper seems to be a connoisseur of good food. Here, he demonstrates the proper technique of cleaning a rabbit for supper.

Dixie, what a lovely tribute to your mom. It must have been a wonderful dinner.

Please Rob, I had to cover Hamrietta's eyes. After all, she is a distinguished little pig. She can read, and she's fluent in Pig Latin. So she never would've settled for icky gumpaste, she's made of Marzipan.

Great-looking dinners Linda and Nancy.

Kathleen, the filling in your wonderful cake is making me delirious. Back in the day, when I had enough stamina to juggle baby, work and a cake clientele, I made a lot of combination cakes for those customers who couldn't decide on flavor. So I often combined two different cakes in one pan, and everybody was happy.

Sharon, your pasta dinner looks delicious! The peas and pancetta lend visual impact.
I'm glad Bibi is feeling better. I'll bet she can't wait to come home and soak up the sun in your garden.

Well, last Saturday I made not one, but 4 pizzas. Yes, I'm still sick of pizzas, but Thumper had his friend over, and that's what they agreed on. So the boys jumped right in, rolling out the dough, and building their own pizzas. I loved having two sous chefs in my kitchen, and they enjoyed every last bite of their creations. A perfect day.

Tonight's dinner will be Salmon-headless-with my usual lemon pasta. The end.

Sol

o

thanks all for the welcome. made a crockpot full of chili the other day..way to much for me so tomorrow ill freeze the rest. i always make way to much for just me. no pictures until i get a cord for my camera and figure out how to work the darned thing. have to be creative my stove isnt hooked up yet so i have to use the crockpot, microwave, a very tiny toaster oven, and a sm electric grill my parents got me for christmas a few years back and no 2 can be plugged in at the same tome the heater is, lol. good thing i love leftovers! ps all of your pictures are amazing!

o

Congratulations, loggerbaby, your first dinner post! I always make too much chili and too much soup. Some things I just can't make a little of. Beans, that's another one.

Sharon, your pasta looks amazing and I'm glad Bibi is feeling better and will soon be home sunning in the garden.

Sol, that rabbit is definitely cleaned for supper, LOL. Her name is Molly and she and Cooper are good friends, although she'll nip him if he kisses her too much. So when did Thumper start eating pizza?

Annie

o

Welcome loggerbaby! It sounds like you should be able to whip up dinner without a stove for a while when you have some nice appliances including a crock pot.
We love leftovers too. Good luck with the camera.

Today I thawed some shoulders of hake fish and rolled them in herbs, almond and oat bran and sauteed them in a pan. They were so tender that Wolf said...'this chicken is really soft'. When I informed him that it was fish, not chicken, he enjoyed it more! Guess I should have added some garlic and lemon to it, or else his taste buds weren't working today LOL.

We had steamed potatoes, squash and lovely new broad beans to go with it. Didn't get a photo since the vet came to the door just as we were going to eat to return Bibi after her stay at the clinic. Fever gone and with a big appetite. She ate a bowl of food and then lay in the garden in the sun the rest of the afternoon. Vet returns next week to make another blood test before giving her the final okay.....and me the bill!

And my dietman said I should take a month off and eat what I want.....so I ate a big chocolate bar this afternoon! Hehehe. (But at least it was a sugar-free one, 70% cacao.)

SharonCb

o

loggerbaby - just think how wonderful it will be when the stove is hooked up. You will look back at the "make do" appliances and laugh!

Annie - is the rabbit housetrained? The kids are trying to talk me into adopting one. There are several at the SPCA right now.

Sharon - enjoy the month! You have done an amazing job sticking to dietmans plan, you deserve a break. And congrats on having Bibi home I bet she is thrilled too.

I have steaks on the grill and am making the PWs Crashed Potatoes and a chopped salad with homemade ranch dressing. DS#2 loves ranch and he decided to make it from scratch instead of the bottle. I tasted it and it is FAR better than any commercially available stuff.

Alexa

o

Annie, I love all the pictures you share of Cooper.

Nancy, my mouth is watering for your swiss steak.

Thanks Robin,

Linda, great looking salad.

Kathleen, What a beautiful cake. Just perfect for a little girl.

Sharon, I bet that chocolate bar really tasted good.

We had double fried wings with a spicy vinaigrette for dinner Saturday night.

And Monday night it was Shepherds Pie.

o

Mmmm, Ann, that shepherd's pie looks delicious, I like the potatoes when they get crusty on top. Cooper is a ham, he loves to have his picture taken, and he's so good natured he hasn't met an animal he doesn't like, not even the bunny or the Dead Cat. He even likes Pancho, Elery's crabby old chihuahua. The feeling is definitely not mutual there, LOL.

Alexa, the rabbit isn't housetrained, or at least I haven't housetrained her, but she comes in the house and hops all over and hasn't made a mess yet. Maybe that's just luck. She spends night in her cage in the garage, and is there when I'm at work, I only let her out or bring her in when I'm home or the kids are here to play with her. Mom had a bunny that she did housetrain, though, and I know Tami (tamioh)has pet bunnies, so maybe she can tell you how she does it.

Sharon, congratulations, both on Bibi's return home AND on the chocolate bar, LOL. I like hake, I used to buy it and haven't seen it here for quite some time. It was firm and mild, a very nice fish.

OK, time to catch up. I stayed home on Sunday and made yogurt, 5 quarts of it:

Photobucket

This week for breakfast I've been having fresh strawberries and yogurt, with a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of homemade granola:

Photobucket

Ashley wasn't going for that, she had french toast made with homemade honey wheat bread and some molasses/ginger/cinnamon added to the egg batter. It was good and smelled like a pumpkin pie:

Photobucket

I also made homemade rye bread on Sunday, two loaves:

Photobucket

Of course, I cut the end piece off while it was still hot, in spite of all the "rules" not to do it:

Photobucket

I made 12 half pints of Gina's cranberry citrus marmalade, and it's really good on the toasted rye:

Photobucket

Monday night I made oven fried chicken for Cooper and I for supper.

Photobucket

Elery got here last night and I made a new recipe for Greek Pasta with chicken. It had whole wheat pasta, black olives, sun dried tomatoes, artichokes, feta cheese. It was OK. Eh. We had steamed fresh asparagus and a broccoli/cauliflower salad with that.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tonight I left work early and Elery and I went to the farm to replace fence posts, it's that constant fence repair thing. When we got home, we warmed up the arroz con pollo that he made earlier, and we had that with brussels sprouts.

Photobucket

And, finally, I'm caught up and that's what's for dinner...

Annie

o

Holy cow, Annie! You've been a "cookin' fool", lately, huh? That Greek Pasta looks and sounds great, too bad it was just OK.

Sharon, I have that pasta recipe saved in my "to try" file. I really need to start paring that file down a bit! LOL So many recipes....so little time!

Tonight I made a pizza using Ann's baguette recipe. Topped it with Italian sausage, some pepperoini on one half for Tim, black olives and onions. It was good, but my crust was kinda chewy. I must have under-proofed the dough or something.

Thinking I may do a stir fry tomorrow. I'm craving vegetables after not eating all that healthy this past week.

Linda

o

I never thought I'd say this about something that wasn't on my plate, but that's a good-looking cow.

Welcome, Loggerbaby. Come on in. We don't bite...much...often. :) I cook for one most of the time, too, so I know what you mean about making too much for one. Good thing I don't mind eating the same thing a couple days in a row.

Speaking of which, that's exactly what I did this week. I'd love to tell you what I had, but I have no idea what to call it. I had some boneless chicken thighs and no real plan. I'm als still on my paprika kick, so what resulted was a sort of braised chicken with paprika, bay, and lemon. It worked out very well, so I need to figure out what I put in it so I can make it again. The first night I had it with green beans and mashed potatoes. The leftovers tonight were with rice and a salad.

o

:-D I agree Bean.

Hey Annie, I love your extended family. And if we ever get another worldwide deluge, I'm migrating over to you ark.

Btw, Molly is absolutely scrumptious. I don't mean as in, 'Rabbit Stew" scrumptious," I meant "cute."
And look! You made Arroz con Pollo! Ay Dios mo.

Ann, delicious contributions.

Loggerbaby, sorry I didn't make it in with the welcoming committee, but I'd like to welcome you, and hope you'll enjoy the ride.

Sol

o

sol, don't credit me with the arroz con pollo, that was Elery's! Lots of paprika and it was good. And I have no idea what that thing in Spanish meant, I'm only assuming that you meant I was brilliant and beautiful. (grin)

Annie

o

Ay, Dios mo = Oh, my God.

See you next week querida amiga (dear friend).

Sol

o

Dang, I was SURE it meant I was brilliant and beautiful. LOL

Next week it is, and querida amiga right back atcha!

Annie

o

Great looking shepherd's pie Ann!

Annie you've been busy as usual. I especially like your breakfast as well as your other meals and that lovely jam!

Today I made liver with onions and bacon. I'm off dieting for a month now and seeing how I can manage eating without putting on weight. Back on it again at end of April for a little while. Steamed potatoes, squash and green beans and roasted some asparagus with Parmesan.

This morning I put half a hen in a pot of water on the stove with carrot, onion, celery and thyme to start a pot of chicken broth, part for the freezer and the rest for a chicken soup.
I need a real stock pot as I'm using an old pressure cooker (without pressure) which isn't big enough to make the amount I'd like to make.
Bibi ate some liver so that's good. She needs to fatten up again, as she lost weight with her recent flu.
Here's her photo in her bed with teddy this morning. They're the same colour.

We go on Daylight Saving Time this weekend. We're two weeks behind you folks over there!

SharonCb

o

Gosh, Sharon. Your photo of that liver and onions almost makes me want some! LOL

I did do a stir fry tonight with chicken, carrots, celery, yellow bell pepper, broccoli, mushrooms, snow peas, onions and bean sprouts. Damn! It was just what the doctor ordered!

Trying a new WW fish recipe tomorrow night using grouper I bought at the fish market in Chicago. I'll report back if it is a keeper!

Linda

o

I made crock-pot roasted beef and vegetables on steamed rice tonight. It was not a photogenic dish but tasted pretty good. :-)

By the way, I can never take a picture of my dinners. How do you all hold on to the dish to take a picture while everyone tries to dig in?

Al

o

Yes, Nancy that Swiss Steak recipe needs to be shared! Pretty Please..

I've barely been doing any thing around here for food. We we're eating..but I'm not sure what. LOL

In the oven now is reheated pork chops and potatoes au gratin..and soon to be made fried cabbage and leeks..

o

We grilled marinated top round steak last night. Sliced it thin against the grain and cooked not for long and it was delicious. I LOVE grilled food. We had baked potatoes and salad to go along with it.

Tonight I made BBQ shrimp along with the rest of the steak and had corn and coleslaw to round out the meal. Another good meal.

o

Can you believe it's snowing here? Which is fine. The longer it stays cold, the longer my grass stays dormant, the longer before I have to run the sprinklers.

However, it is also very windy (gusts up to 45 mph) and cold, so it was a good night to make a nice big pot of vegetable beef soup. I had some of that for dinner with some cheese toast.

o

Wow dixie! Drilled steak and shrimp are a fav combination of mine... can I come to your house for dinner? Aand oh my Sharon - Bibi and the bear are adorable together :-) She can hve my portion of the liver too....

Anyway, I made Flammkuchen last night and it was great. Definitely will be on my "go to" list. Not sure what we are doing tonight, DH is stuck in the city at the home show, so the boys and I can go wild with dinner plans.....

Alexa

o

Thank you Alexa LOL....actually Bibi did eat some of that liver too. But I know not everyone likes it as much as we do.

Bean you have snow? Well you're right about it being a good reason to make soup. (PS Did something arrive in the mail yet?)

Yesterday I made broth with a piece of hen and veg and today we had part of it in a multi-veg and lentil chicken soup. Every vegetable I could think of went into this one and I still have a huge pot of it left. Luckily it tasted really good so we won't mind having it again, and again, and again! :-)

Yeah it's Friday again! Have a good weekend all.

SharonCb

o

Sharon, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE liver and onions, with a good slice of bacon thrown in. Bibi looks so tiny in that basket, though, I think maybe she needs a little liver to help her along, poor kitty. I do have some chicken livers in the freezer, Cooper and I will have them soon. Well, I'll have them once, as a treat, then Cooper will have the rest.

Al, I take pictures after my food is plated, so I don't interrupt anyone else's eating!

Yum, Dixie, grilled shrimp and corn sounds like summer food. Too bad it's only in the 30s here, it was 25F when I walked to work this morning and the wind is blowing. It's supposed to be 50 and sunny tomorrow, though, and 40 and rain on Sunday. Let's all hear it for Michigan weather! (grin)

Terri, you must have been eating something, because you had pork chops to reheat, LOL.

Lst night we had a conglomeration of leftovers, some arroz con pollo, some fish and vegetable chowder that Elery made with a package of slightly freezer burned fish that migrated to the bottom of the freezer, and the last of the carrots and celery that was going limp in the fridge. He also added quite a bit of hot sauce, so it was a little too spicy for my taste, but I ate it anyway.

Tonight I have some pork ribs thawing, so probably Sue's Roadhouse ribs, we'll see.

Annie

o

awww...Bibi and the bear. That's so cute.

(Sharon, not as of yesterday.)

It was just a wee bit of snow; it's melted off already, but it is still chilly. I already know what dinner will be tonight, though. I've been wanting linguica, eggs and skillet poatoes. For dessert, I'll have a piece of toast with Annie's pear preserve.

o

Martinis...... 'Nuff said! LOL!

Alexa

o

I guess everyone is busy this weekend and preparing for the next week's holidays.

Alexa I hope you enjoyed your martinis and your birthday!

Annie I still haven't tried Sue's Roadhouse Ribs. I bet whatever you make with those ribs, it'll be good!.

Saturday we were out and neither of us was very hungry. I ordered beef roulade with spaetzle and Wolf a half portion of roast pork in mushroom gravy.
I took home half my meat for Bibi and couldn't manage to finish the spaetzle although they were good.

Today we just had that soup I made the other day but finished up with a big fresh fruit salad: strawberries (they were really good), papaya, kiwi, banana, tangerine and a cup of tropical juice from a carton and a sprinkle of sugar. Guess we'll have some for breakfast tomorrow as I always make too much!

Like a warm summer day today, and the garden is full of roses in bloom.

SharonCb

o

Holy Cow's: Literaly!!!
Haven't been in here for awhile. All the food a Photo's look great. Almost as good as mine.

Kathleen:
Miss your table settings.

Sol:
You are ??? Something else !!!
I haven't figured out what yet, LOL

I could go on for a hour but the Coffee and Cheese Cake,
are waiting.

Tonight I had leftover Stuffed Shells and Meat Balls,
that were made last weekend and put in the freezer.

With a glass of Red Wine !!!

o

Due to a new job and then coming down with the flu and bronchitis, I've done very little cooking in the last few weeks, unlike the the wonderful cooks here!! Some beautiful dishes on this thread.

After weeks of cereal, soup, and delivery, I made a simple shrimp cocktail after work on Friday night. It was simple but full of flavor because the shrimp were roasted instead of boiled! Juicy, tender, and the perfect foil for the easy cocktail sauce I served with:

Lori

o

Mmmm, love shrimp, Lori. I hope you're feeling better now.

Sharon, I was thinking of you this morning, I made a fruit salad with grapefruit, orange and strawberries. I didn't remember to take a picture, but since they changed my cholesterol medication I can have grapefruit again, so that makes me happy.

Renee, breakfast must have been a recurring theme, I had the last of the corned beef hash a couple of days ago, with an egg and a piece of rye bread, toasted:

Photobucket

The ribs were delicious, so thanks Sue for a keeper of a recipe. Sharon, you'll love them, if you try them. I wrapped them well and baked them, they were tender and pulling away from the bone, but not falling apart, just the way I like them.

Photobucket

Yesterday I took The Princess and Bruvver to hunt Easter Eggs at a local nursing home. Bruvver hugged everyone in the place, I think, and I'll post some pictures over on conversations or the gallery later, not tonight. Anyway, as a treat we went to Dairy Queen afterward, they had special bowls of ice cream topped with green coconut and bunnies:

Photobucket

Elery worked his 12 hour midnight shift last night, then drove 3 hours to get here, so I made him some breakfast. We had a fennel and asparagus quiche from Diabetic Living magazine, some roasted potatoes and that fruit salad:

Photobucket

The quiche was really good, lots of veggies and less egg than I'm used to, but still very good. And 290 calories, according to the stats.

There's been so many meals I haven't managed to take a picture of, so I know I've missed lots.

Annie

o

Sharon, that soup looks wonderful. And I'd be happy with your's or Wolf's dinner, but I would like the spaetzle on the side.

Lori, I don't think I've seen a better looking Shrimp Cocktail. Can't wait until our local spot prawns are in season.

Annie, Now I have a craving for Corn Beef and Hash.

Breakfast the other morning was warm cinnamon buns drizzled with a white chocolate glaze. I made them the night before and left them to rise in the fridge overnight.

And dinner Friday night was a spicy Chicken Stir fry with cashews.

Last night's dinner was chicken stew and tonight we had grilled baby back ribs.

o

Dang, I was SURE it meant I was brilliant and beautiful. LOL

Annie, you are brilliant and beautiful! But don't just take my word for it, ask prince Elery.
Btw, I've been a bit of a scatterbrain and forgot to tell you about Horrock's renovation. Do you remember the wall between the produce and cheese departments?
Well, the wall was knocked down.
That's it.
Of course, with that obtrusive wall gone, you now get a panoramic view of the whole market from the entrance. I think that's all the renovating they're going to do, but I hope to be wrong.
Btw, after a smoothie breakfast, I would happily dive into that Corned Beef Hash right now.

Lori, I hope you'll start feeling better soon. I have a few friends who've been hit with the same bug, and they're not happy.

Sol: You are Something else !!!I haven't figured out what yet.

Luigi, you lunatic fringe. Judging by your sweet, kind and supportive emails, I thought you already had me all figured out.
I'd like some of that fine cooking and wine now, please.

Sharon, our temperatures will climb into the 70s by the weekend. I'll have to replicate your delicious fruit salad.

I haven't been taking many pictures of our dinners lately either, mostly because they're dishes I've posted about before.
So, first, I'll post about last weekend's homey breakfast.

Corn Fritters topped with Poached Eggs.

Hot and Cold Chocolate Truffle

Blood Orange Caprese Salad

Thumper and I have been busy dyeing (and eating) eggs. Here's one lone survivor. But we'll make more before we go on vacation. I won't be around next week, so I'll wish everyone a Happy Easter now.

Sol

o

Sol, your photos just get better and better.

I love the picture of that perfectly poached egg, the yolk flowing down over the corn fritter. Now that is a breakfast Moe and Matt would both love.

Ann

o

Oh sol, I NEED that chocolate truffle. Now.

I also agree with Ann T, that egg is perfect, even the tiny wedge cut from it to allow the yolk to escape and cover the corn fritter. Yum.

Have a nice vacation and thanks for the Horrock's update, I hope they don't do anything else, unless it's make it bigger! Improvements usually mean higher prices, as far as I can see...

Annie

o

Sol:
You always have kind words, even though I call you names.
Maybe that's what friends are for ?????

You did it this time, with the Photo's.
Think I figured you out.
With all your money, good looks and Artistic ability, it may be that you are eccentric. !!! lol

SharonCb:
I should have listened to you and fine tuned my Photography
with the Digital Camera.
But I was in a Rut, the last few years.
Have to break out all my lighting and give it a go.

Most of my good Photo's were with the 35MM. Probably over 500 just in Ebay for the descriptions.
Used mostly Judgement then.
In the late 40's. Everything was Black and White

Built a Darkroom, Enlarger, Printing Box and Portrait Camera for myself and a Cousin,
who was discharged from the Navy and took up a Course at the Antonelli School of Photography, Phila.

All I have left is a few Photo's and a Portrait of my Daughter, when she was 2 years old.

Why am I saying all this, on a WFD Post.???

Kathleen:
I'm the one who must be a Whacko! Still feeding the Deer.
When I go out to get in the car,
he comes up to me, waiting for corn.
I feed him from out of the Scoop, rub his head and give him a wack.
He looks at me as if to say " now why did you do that? ",
then he keeps eating.

But I do check myself for ticks,constantly, because all the animals can carry ticks.
Lou

o

Lou,

Read Part 2 and Part 5 of SharonCb's tips.

dcarch

o

Ann, we tend to gravitate toward simple, downhome type breakfasts too. But I seriously need to cut back on the egg consumption.

AB, in regards to Horrock's, I was a little disappointed. After such a long wait, I was really hoping for a more dramatic upgrade.
But heck, I agree, a bigger price tag would've inevitably be attached to a major remodeling. I guess it's best to let go of the proverbial Pie in the Sky notion.
See you soon my friend.

Sol

o

Dcarch:
Thanks,I will do that.
Now that the service is over and I get thru all the paperwork, etc.,
I'll have to backtrack on the Picture taking.

I know when everything was loaded from the old PC,
all the Photo's were lighter.
I couldn't bring them up to the same color as the old PC.
Lou

Sol: take some Pictures on your Vaction !!!

o

Lou,

I want to see a picture of you feed the deer. If possible, I would like the photo to show the look on the deer's face when you whack him.

Re digital photography: Read up on "white balance". That's something we didn't have back in the day of film. It's a very nifty feature of digitals. We used to need a bunch of expensive color correcting filters. Now it's all in the camera and can even be automatic if you wish.

I still have at least one of every camera I ever owned. That's quite a few.

Jim

o

sol, your creativity and talent , your sharp wit, such a way with words and a keen insight into human nature....the mind boggles.

Up at the cottage, doing some freezer Spring cleaning. Not very imaginative but himself seems happy enough.

Some recent meals..... halibut and chips, I'm done with that for a bit, I really hate the smell after deep fat frying.....yuck! Pulled pork, chili, turkey soup, spaghetti with meat sauce, bizlady's country style ribs with sweet potatoes...that was a home run ! Thanks bizlady, great recipe.

Tonight is Salisbury steak, mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes and asparagus. Tomorrow night pork chops done some way or other.

A bit boring but the freezer is darn near empty, and that's a good thing!

o

Jim:
This is the only Photo I could find right now.
I have a recent one of the Button Buck, that Steve took but can't find it right now.
Have to find another Photographer.

LOU

Here is a copy of the Photo I took; of my Daughter in 1957,
with the Portrait Camera I built.

My Daughters Photo came thru lighter. On the other PC it is Darker, Sharp and Smaller.

o

Lou and Jimster, go to "Conversations"

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/post.cgi

dcarch

o

Sol, have a good vacation, I'll talk to you soon.

Sharon, "clean the freezer" sounds like a good idea, it's something I just can't seem to accomplish. Elery did smoke some Lake Trout that we caught last summer, along with a piece of salmon from last fall, and I've been taking things to Amanda, LOL, now they're her problem, like those au gratin potatoes....

So, last night Elery cooked, I had to work yesterday, so he made corn cakes which he topped with some mashed and seasoned avocado and a piece of the smoked salmon:

Photobucket

Along with that we had some noodles in a lemon sauce with asparagus and chicken:

Photobucket

It was very fresh and "spring-like" with the fresh vegetables.

Today I took the day off so we could go work on the fence, so I made breakfast. A farm fresh egg on a toasted English muffin with some of our home smoked bacon, it kept us going for 6 hours of fencing.

Photobucket

When we were done we were both too tired to cook so I put a sweet potato in the microwave and warmed up some of the fennel and asparagus quiche and we called it supper. Maybe we were just hungry, but it was surprisingly good:

Photobucket

Tomorrow night? I don't know, I'm trying to think of what I could make with leftover asparagus, fennel, some roasted garlic, a piece of quiche and that seasoned avocado, LOL.

Annie

o

Annie,

It's good to see your pics so I know that you and Elery aren't succumbing to starvation out there on the farm in Michigan. :-)

Jim

o
Jeans

Jim, not much chance of that, not even after a long hard Michigan winter. (grin) In fact, maybe I should starve a bit more and my jeans would fit a bit better!

Annie

o

Many beautiful meals again here!

I'm a little behind so I'll go right ahead and and try to remember what I've been making the last days...I know fish and veg was one day, and Tuesday we went out to that new little tapas and terrace restaurant called La Oliva for Moroccan chicken which consisted of cubes of chicken and sweet potato in a yoghurt mint sauce with rice and raisins. We both had that dish and enjoyed it very much. Dessert was what they called chocolate fondant, which turned out to be a molten lava cake with ice cream. When I cut into it, out came the hot chocolate sauce mmmm. So that's what they are called here! First dessert for me in many months.

Today I made chicken-turkey meatballs with a little tomato-red pepper sauce and steamed vegetables.
I'm defrosting some of my chicken broth and may make stewed lentils with that tomorrow.

Lou I love that pic of you feeding the deer. I can't even get the doves here to eat out of my hand. And a very nice one you took of your daughter.

Your colour/light photo issue is not something to do with your computer.
You have your camera set for outdoor photography when you are taking photos indoor under tungsten light.
With film cameras we used to buy either "daylight" or "indoor" film.
With a digital camera you just have to change the white balance (WB) setting from daylight to indoor.
One click on your camera, that's all...it's easy. No more yellow photos.

SharonCb

o

I've barely done any cooking of note lately, but seeing as how I'm "off" (that's a joke) work this week, I did plan for a few meals that DH really likes. He was a happy camper with an pesto chicken breast and fennel last night, so today I tried out a new recipe! I will admit that after perusing everyone's yummy sounding treats I feel ashamed to be posting a simple beef stew recipe, but DH gave it two thumbs up--

Simply Recipes
Irish Beef Stew
Ingredients

* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1 1/4 pounds well-marbled chuck beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces (NOT extra-lean)
* 6 large garlic cloves, minced
* 6 cups beef stock or canned beef broth
* I cup of Guinness beer
* 1 cup of fine red wine
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1 tablespoon dried thyme
* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
* 2 bay leaves
* 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
* 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 7 cups)
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled carrots
* Salt and Pepper
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Method

1 Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Lightly salt the beef pieces. Working in batches if necessary, add the beef (do not crowd the pan, or the meat will steam and not brown) and cook, without stirring, until nicely browned on one side, then use tongs to turn the pieces over. Continue to cook in this manner until all sides are browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add beef stock, Guinness, red wine, tomato paste, sugar, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, then cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

2 While the meat and stock is simmering, melt butter in another large pot over medium heat. Add potatoes, onion and carrots. Sauté vegetables until golden, about 20 minutes. Set aside until the beef stew in step one has simmered for one hour.

3 Add vegetables to beef stew. Simmer uncovered until vegetables and beef are very tender, about 40 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Tilt pan and spoon off fat. Transfer stew to serving bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley and serve. (Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead. Cool slightly. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before serving.)

Serves 4 to 6.

o

Ellen, there's no such thing as "simple" beef stew, the stuff takes hours. Yours sounds good, but you lost me on the Guiness, I'd have to sub beef broth. Yeah, yeah, I know...

I did some grocery shopping last night so I can start on the quiche appetizers tonight, and I think tonight I'm also going to make some kind of Easter bread for the Princess to take to the "other grandma" for Easter breakfast. They're having dinner with me, but I'm the Grandma that bakes, LOL.

So my dinner was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Koeze's Cream Nut peanut butter and homemade cranberry citrus marmalade, if that counts, LOL.

Annie

o

Thanks Annie, it definitely took longer than an hour and 40 minutes to cook. The meat wasn't tender enough with that little time to simmer. I had bought a beautiful piece of chuck at Whole Foods, but maybe it wasn't marbled enough. I've never bought Guinness before and DH tasted it from the can and didn't care for it. However in the stew it added just the right touch, since he didn't even add a drop of salt, pepper or balsamic-- his usual additions for flavor. It's hard because even taste it due to my food restrictions, so he's left to his own devices on seasonings!

o

Ellen, I don't like beer at all, so I sure don't use Guinness, in spite of my Irish/Native American background. I did use it in chili once and couldn't eat the stuff, although Elery liked it (or said he did). Grandpa used to tell me that God invented beer so the Irish wouldn't take over the world, but I didn't get that piece of the genetics, apparently. (grin)

I can't imagine trying to cook without tasting for seasoning, though and I've got to find a way to cut back on the salt, which I just love. Of course.

Annie

o

I just spent a lovely hour or so going leisurely through this thread. I haven't checked it out since the beginning of this one. So much wonderful food and the gorgeous pictures always are such an added treat. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

We had several indoor rabbits at one time. Bobbette liked to groom the dogs. My doberman was so patient with him and when he got tired of it he'd give a giant sigh and we'd rescue him. LOL. They were housebroken. We had a low window and I built a hutch on the outside of it. When they had to 'go' they'd jump up in the hutch and go to their preferred corner.

I made stew last sunday. Hadn't made it in quite a while. Used a couple of bottom rounds I cut into big cubes, floured well, browned and cooked it in the Le Cruset for a couple hours on low. Meat, potatoes, onions, carrots, little celery, bay leaf, and turkey broth to cover. Toward the end I added peas and mushrooms. Really enjoyed it, the meat was so tender without being dry.

Last night we went to the WolfDog Rescue to pick up our free raw food for Jessie. Since I knew we'd be eating late I boiled a bunch of shrimp in Zatarains crab boil and made salads with romaine, some tomatoes that were pretty good, swiss, green onions for Christy and lots of nice ripe avocado for me. I used remoulade on the side for dressing along with lemon wedges.

Today I was going to make the cream eggs but remembered I had taken out supplies to make macaroons and shortbread so I made those this afternoon. I had a bit too much egg white so they ran a little. Next time I'll just add more coconut. You can see a few shortbread peeking out next to the bowl. Hey I had to have something to keep my strength up while taking pictures.
Photobucket

Tonight Christy was very tired and didn't feel much like eating so I made some biscuits she could have with her chickory coffee. That's a real comfort meal for her. Smiles. They looked and tasted so good I joined her. I have my meal of the week spaghetti in the fridge in case I get hungry later.
Photobucket

o

Oh, that beef stew recipe looks good. I'll have to make that soon. I'm on a stew kick lately. (And any excuse to pick up Guiness is good by me. I have a gingerbread cake that uses it.)

Speaking of stews, earlier in the week I made a Azorean green bean, potatoe, and chourico stew. That was dinner a couple of days. DH is home for a day before heading out again, and wanted "real" food, so dinner tonight was chile verde, black beans and rice. I was going to make a vegetable to go with it, but we decided to just roll it up into burritos instead.

o

I'm kind of late to the party, but here is a picture of my attempt at making Ann T's maple scones, lol! I used the same recipe but got very different results with my kitchen skills. They were still pretty good tasting. She's the master, I am but a plebe, :)

o

Yummy-looking baked goods!!

Yesterday I made Roasted Cauliflower, Onions & Garlic:

Today I made Seared Scallops, Carrot Fritters and Yogurt Dressing:

Lori

o

Everything looks delicious! Sol, I love the egg, beautiful!
I cooked for days for Easter..we had a terrible storm the weekend before and damage to be cleaned up. So I haven't been around much.
Easter the weather was wonderful..

o

Kathleen, it was 81F here on Good Friday. In April in Michigan! It'll probably snow next week, LOL.

Coconut, those biscuits look perfect, I'd love one.

Lpink, I'd eat that scone in an instant, I love maple.

Here dinner was ham, Ruthanna's parmesan crusted cod, SharonCB's parmesan potatoes (to use up the rest of the cheese), sweet potatoes in an orange butter sauce from a recipe given to me by Readinglady, the honey rolls from Sol, and Grandma's blueberry crisp. Oh, and the first time ever I made tiramisu. It was OMG good, but it started with 6 egg yolks, some cookies soaked in espresso and ended with a pint and a half of heavy cream, so how could it be bad.

I'll put pictures on my "Easter" Thread. In the meantime I started the quiches for the appetizer wedding reception in May, so I now have spinach/swiss cheese and broccoli/ham/cheddar with the leftover Easter ham, 10 dozen of each...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Yeah, I know, the first picture is too dark, the second too light, but I sneaked a couple of the quiches for dinner. Cooper liked the ones with ham and broccoli, LOL.

Annie

o

Coconut your macaroons and biscuits look just perfect, as do your scones Lpink.

I'd love a taste of Lori's roasted cauliflower, onions & garlic. What a great combination.

Amazing Annie has done it again....all that cooking and still able to make 20 dozen mini quiches for the wedding!

It's been a bit busy here too but we've had rain which stopped me working in the garden. We've had some water shut offs from repairs to the mains in the street so we've been out a couple of times too. Saturday at the Austrian restaurant Wolf had a favourite dish steamed hake with tomato and onion, while I had cevapcici with salad and chips....those are spicy meat patties. Always have to take some home for the 2 feral cats as it's too much for me. Now drinking a glass of wine now and then.

Easter Sunday I made Osso Buco, but rather than with risotto or noodles, I did potatoes to appease my potato man.
The sauce is to die for....it contains a good quantity of both brandy and dry sherry as well as balsamic vinegar.

Today we had no water this morning so we were out again for lunch of ground steak patties (frikadellen) with mushroom gravy, boiled potatoes and red cabbage.
That was simple but nice and no dishes to wash afterward.
Will have some salad tonight. Sun finally shining but the wind is chilly.

SharonCb

o

Wow, so many great looking meals.

Annie, you have been busy. As always. 20 dozen quiche. I'd be happy with a couple of each.

Sharon, great looking meals. I like the idea of your chicken/turkey meatballs.

Coconut, your biscuits look perfect.

LPink, I don't know why you are putting yourself down. Your scones look as good as any I've seen. I'd be happy with one right about now with my morning coffee.

Lori, I know that Moe would love your scallops. But you know I would have to change to another type of fritter.

And that roasted cauliflower is calling my name.

Halibut season is now opened and we had our first taste of fresh halibut last week.

Pan roasted and topped with a brown butter and herb lemon sauce.

I also made spicy Asian style meatballs served with stir fried veggies. No recipe.

Just seasoned ground turkey breast with garlic, cilantro, ginger, green onion, sesame oil, a splash of rice wine vinegar and a spoonful of hot garlic chili paste. Browned the meatballs. Remove from the pan. Sauted the onions and peppers. Removed from the pan. Sauted some garlic and ginger, added some chicken broth, another splash of rice wine vinegar, a spoon of chili sauce, put the meatballs back into the pan and simmered for 20 minutes. Added the onions and peppers back into the pan, along with bean sprouts and green onion, tossed to heat and served over rice.

o

I thought it was about time that this WFD virgin joined in the fun.

Salmon and Asparagus

This was last night's dinner at the home of DD and DSL. I cooked shioyaki salmon with rice and steamed asparagus with strawberry vinaigrette. The strawberry vinaigrette wouldn't have been my first choice but it was the only vinaigrette in DD's fridge. I was set on using vinaigrette and didn't want to take time to make it. It was fine.

The salmon was from a huge fillet even though it doesn't look large next to the thick asparagus spears and a good sized portion of rice. I like thick asparagus. Despite what is said about it, thick asparagus is just as tender as the thin.

Remember the thread about what to do with asparagus trimmings? The bunnies got ours. They weren't impressed however. They like something with a bolder flavor, such as radicchio.

Jim

o

ann T, I'm only half done with the quiche. I'm thinking crab and asparagus and then one other, maybe an Italian sausage and mushroom. I'm going to Elery's this weekend and we starting on wontons, we only have 7 weeks and counting...

It looks like a theme here. SharonCB's hake looks delicious, I still am trying to find some more of that. Ann T's halibut looks equally delicious, I love halibut and can only imagine that it's even better fresh, I've only had the frozen stuff.

Jim, your salmon looks wonderful too, I love salmon.

So, what did I have for lunch? The last piece of cod leftover from Easter, LOL. Supper, though, was beef stew and one of sol's rolls leftover from Easter. I used the recipe that Ellen posted above and it was pretty good, but I'd use less oregano. I even went and bought a bottle of Guinness. I'll take the leftovers to Elery, he'll love it.

Photobucket

Last night it was scalloped potatoes with the ham that was leftover from Easter, so now all I have is a big old honkin' ham bone that I need to use:

Photobucket

Cooper approved of both but he liked the scalloped potatoes best!

Annie

o

It's just my self effacing humor Ann! I admire carefully crafted foods, but my own stuff is kinda lumpy and that's OK with me, it's all good! Well, most of the time, don't get me started on kolaczki! :)
Your photos are yum and gawgeous as usual!

Jimster you posted one of my all time favorite meals! Actually, I just had it Saturday when I went out for dinner at a fancy restaurant. YUM!

o

I can't believe this has fallen off the front page, so I am bumping it back up. Some good looking fish, quiche and even carrot fritters! Man I love those.

Last night, my little fella decided he wanted french toast for brunch a couple of weeks ago and we decided we'd create our own. He wanted it to "have a streusel topping" and I wanted it to be "stuffed". Somehow, we didn't get around to it. We had our creation last night. I had some cream cheese into which I zested an orange and added a bit of the juice. That was the stuffed part of it. His streusel was a bit of pecans with butter, cinnamon, flour, brown sugar, and butter. I couldn't figure out what he wanted me to do with it, so I smushed it into the bread after it had been dipped in the egg. It didn't really get crunchy enough even after being fried in the skillet, so I broiled it. It was pretty good (I'd give it about a 6 -7 on a scale of 1-10). And a couple of strips of bacon with some cold milk. Breakfast for dinner!

o

Boy everyone must be having fun in this great weather! I'm bumping it again. I had chicken piccata with baby artichokes, angel hair pasta and roasted carrots. Followed by dark chocolate mousse.

Happy Spring everyone!

o

I was at Elery's all weekend, so Cooper had a burger from McDonald's on Friday night after the three hour drive, I had some hummus and raw veggies.

Saturday we got up and had fresh eggs (I took a dozen with me, I'm NOT eating those store bought things!) on toasted English Muffins, then went into Ann Arbor. I bought another mini-muffin tin at Homegoods to make the quiches go a little faster and a set of wooden "salad hands", hand painted in the Philipines, just because they were different than anything I'd ever seen.

We went to Whole Foods and bought some artichoke/fennel/edamame salad and a couple of sweet potato latkes from the deli and a "made in Michigan" granola bar, then went to Trader Joe's, where we stocked up on Dubliner cheese, some peanut butter filled pretzels for the kids, the flax seed chips that I like.

Supper was with his son and DIL and sometime in there we had pinto beans and cornbread. Sunday morning we had a late brunch, salmon patties, some of the salad from Whole Foods and the rest of the hummus.

I started home and stopped at Horrocks where I bought two cases of cheap wine for Amanda's wedding reception in October, where I'll store it I don't know. Also avocados at 32 cents each, some fresh beets, mangoes at 2 for $1, celery, carrots, sweet potatoes, a head of romaine, a daikon radish, cauliflower and broccoli.

Two hours later I stopped at McDonald's in Newaygo and got Cooper an ice cream cone and myself a Diet Coke, and when I got home I made a big salad. (Sigh) Very healthy, I wish I liked salad a little better. Cooper ate the last of the chicken in the fridge.

Last night I left work and went home and made some chicken livers with bacon, steamed some broccoli and ate the rest of the salad.

And now I'm caught up, but no pictures of anything...

Annie

o
Pasta

Aw, heck, I forgot the pasta party on Saturday. We did have a chicken broth based soup with some bok choy and pasta stuffed with sweet potatoes. The pasta wasn't really tortellini and wasn't really ravioli, Elery made it, but it was pretty good.

Annie

o

Annie, I love it when you share Cooper's meals. Ollie dined on chicken thigh meat, sweet potato, zucchini, peas and green beans.

We had pan grilled pork chops, fresh pineapple, baked potato and steamed green beans.

Turkey sandwiches tonight, from the turkey breast I high heat roasted on Sunday.

Lee

o

I've been eating take-out every night for the last several nights. Too tired to cook when I get home from work!! Now I'm hungry for halibut, stew, quiche... I wish I lived closer to some of you!!

I did, however, manage to try a new recipe for chocolate oatmeal cookies last weekend. They're really good!

Lori :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here