Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tough shrimp?

Posted by ohiojudy (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 1, 10 at 8:49

My DH recieved a large bag of boiled(? the kind you put with sauce or butter) shrimp for Christmas. I thawed some out and he said it's really tough, so I sauted a few in butter and that helped but not much. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix them so they'll be more tender? Does this make any sense, I don't care for shrimp so am at a loss.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tough shrimp?

Sounds like maybe they were cooked too much. Not sure what you could do now. The damage might have already been done.

I wonder if you could make shrimp patties (like salmon patties) try that?

o

Maybe cut them up and make a bisque or chowder? Make the soup and add the already cooked shrimp to heat through.

This one from soupsong.com looked good:

* 1 Tablespoon butter
* cup onion, finely diced
* cup celery, finely diced
* cup carrot, finely diced
* 1 15-ounce can tomatoes, cut up in pieces (use the juice for another dish)
* 2 Tablespoons olive oil
* 1 pound shrimp in the shell
* 5 cups shrimp stock--or seafood/fish stock
* 1 cup dry white wine (dry vermouth is excellent)
* 4 Tablespoons raw rice
* 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
* cup heavy cream
* salt and pepper

Garnish: reserved shrimp slices, sauted in Cognac or white wine, tarragon (or other fresh herb), and crotons (made from thin slices of bread fried in butter until crisp and brown).

In a skillet, saut the onion, celery, and carrot (called a mirepoix) in the butter for 5 minutes, until the vegetable are soft, not brown. Add the tomato pieces and saut for another 5 minutes. Scrape out into a bowl and reserve.

In the same pan, heat the olive oil then add the whole shrimp. Cook until the shells are red and crisp--about 4-5 minutes. Scrape out of the pan and let cool.

While the shrimp are cooling, heat the stock and wine in a large saucepan, add the reserved vegetables and the rice, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and, partially covered, simmer for 20 minutes.

Peel the cooled shrimp, separating the shells and the meat, and toss the shells into the cooking soup.

When the soup has finished cooking, puree in a blender, solids first (including the shells), then strain back into the pot.

Take half of the reserved shrimp, puree them in the blender (slowly adding enough hot stock to completely emulsify them)--and pour them into the pot.

Enrich the soup by whisking in the softened butter and the cream, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Let sit, for flavors to blend, until ready to serve.

When ready to serve, saut thin bread slices in butter until crisp and brown, then drain. Slice the remaining shrimp lengthwise and briefly saut them over high heat with the Cognac or wine. Mince the tarragon or other herb finely. Ladle the soup into bowls, top with the shrimp and minced herb, and pass the crotons separately.

Here is a link that might be useful: A chowder recipe, too.

o

I like the ideas your have. You could also do egg rolls or dumplings. We do fish or shrimp tacos - you could cut them up, add cabbage and sauce (my favorite is sour cream with chipotle and lemon juice) in a corn tortilla. Hope you find a way to enjoy them.

o

I never have good luck with cooked and then frozen shrimp. It's either too tough or too watery.

Cooking then more will only make it worse. I think you need to think of making something that uses chopped or pureed shrimp. Maybe a shrimp salad or a shrimp dip or mousse,

o

Dice them up small & use for Egg Foo Young and/or Egg Rolls...see Chinese Food Help thread. There are lots of ideas there that can easily be adapted to shrimp.

Sorry the shrimp were overcooked. Can't do much about it since they were a gift. If you ever purchase frozen shrimp...buy the raw & prepare yourself so you'll have some control.

/tricia

o

I bought a bag of jumbo shrimp from the butcher.
I don't know what to do. I have undercooked, over cooked and nothing works.
It is a 4lb bag Jumbo shell less shrimp.
Should I return them ????

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here