SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
r2ringkc_gw

Quinoa

r2ringkc
13 years ago

I'm been lurking here for sometimes now & I been wondering if anybody have a great quinoa recipe to share. Thanks in advance.

Comments (21)

• caliloo
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Welcome! Happy that you are out of lurkdom - it is much more fun to participate :-) Anyway, here is one of my favorite recipes...

Aalexa

Quinoa & Pecan Salad with Dried Cranberries

Serves 10 / This hearty salad has a zesty combination of textures and contrasting flavors. Plus, it's loaded with fiber and nutrients. Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 25-30 minutes

3 1/2 cups water
    1 1/2 cups quinoa
    1 bunch green onions, finely sliced
    1/2 cup dried cranberries, diced
    1/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
    3/4 cup celery, finely diced
    3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
    1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    Pinch of cayenne pepper

1. Bring water to a boil. Add quinoa; stir, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until quinoa is soft and water is absorbed ��" about 25-30 minutes.
    2. Add green onions, dried cranberries, cilantro and celery to a large salad bowl. Toast the pecans in a small skillet and add to the salad bowl (optional). Add the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, sesame oil, salt and peppers to the bowl. Stir to mix.
    3. Stir in the quinoa when it has cooked and cooled slightly. Set aside for an hour if possible to allow flavors to marry; serve at room temperature.
    Photography by Rita Maas

Calories 197,Fat 9,Perfat 42,Cholesterol 0,Carbo 25,Protein 4,Fiber N/A,Sodium N/A

• cookie8
    13 years ago

This is my new breakfast routine. Quinoa with sliced pear, chopped almond and maple syrup to top it off. So filling! Sorry, it's more of a quinoa idea rather than recipe. Welcome, BTW.

• Related Discussions

Anyone like quinoa ?

Q

Comments (23)
    I just learned that 2013 was declared "The International Year of the Quinoa" by the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations. They singled it out because of its high nutritive value (a source of complete protein, among other things) and the important role it plays in achieving food security worldwide. The organization called it a "super food." The history of quinoa is interesting. I've forgotten all the facts, but it was sacred to the Incas, who called it the "Mother Grain." I ate it last night, and made sure I had enough left over to try Jasdip's watermelon dish today.
    ...See More

Quinoa or lambs quarters?

Q

Comments (4)
    According to FNA (the Flora of North America site), Chenopodium quinoa is occasionally cultivated as a grain crop. It keys to Chenopodiuim berlandieri and is related to it, but has larger leaves and inflorescences. It is probably not possible to reliably determine species of your plant from photos and general descriptions.
    ...See More

Quinoa

Q

Comments (12)
    I like quinoa (altho it doesn't like me; I'm allergic to most grains so I restrict myself). I was at a Peruvian restaurant a couple of weeks ago and had a lovely quinoa/kale salad. I'm not usually one for vegan dishes but this was both tasty and satisfying. This is from my review: Ensalada de Kale: kale and quinoa salad, roasted corn, sweet potato, cherry tomatoes & aji amarillo vinaigrette. " I don't normally select vegan entrées, but after our hearty appetizers I thought this sounded perfect. I loved this, and the balance was perfect. Quinoa is a small round grain and I find I grow tired of the texture of it very quickly, although I appreciate its health benefits. I was pleased that this was white quinoa, which I prefer to the red or black quinoas. The shredded kale was oil-massaged, and just enough quinoa was added to cling slightly to the leaves. The roasted corn kernels softened slightly in the vinaigrette, so they weren't objectionable (I'm not overfond of corn nuts). There were only a few halves of cherry tomatoes, but a fair amount of sweet potato was sliced into thin dice, around the same size as the corn. This seemingly minor detail contributed to the harmony of flavors in the salad. The dressing was mild with little acid. I really enjoyed it, but it's a generous serving so we had the waiter wrap up about a third of it. "
    ...See More

Quinoa II

Q

Comments (5)
    Well I couldn’t wait and whipt up a batch. Added 1 cup cooked quinoa to 2 cups flour and it came out OK. There is a slight crunchiness not usually present. Presumably from the baked quinoa. Whether that means the Quinoa is ultimately over cooked and therefore bad for you or not (or rendered worthless) I dunno. I wonder if the raw quinoa would cook in the baking process. If so would it expand in the same proportion as when boiling it? No because it's not absorbing water when in the biscuits. The recommendation to saute it before boiling makes me think baking the raw seed in the biscuit might not be much different then sauteing it. Therefore I predict baking the raw seed in the biscuits would be a wasted effort nutritionally. Edit: I did sneak it into some chili which led directly to the biscuit caper.
    ...See More
  • lyndaluu2
    13 years ago

I just made this the other day.

Here's the recipe:

Shrimp Quinoa
    1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
    1 1/2 cups chicken broth
    2 Tbsp Olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 med onion, diced
    1 red bell pepper, diced
    8 spear fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
    I used more
    1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
    4 Tbsp raisins
    1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger root
    1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
    salt and pepper to taste
    Bring the quinoa and chicken broth to a boil in a sauce pan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender about 15 mins. Turn off the heat, and let the remaining liquid absorb into the quinoa.
    Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, onion, and red bell pepper; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 mins. Add the asparagus, mushrooms, raisins, and ginger; continue cooking until the asparagus is tender. Stir in the shrimp, and cook until the shrimp have turned pink and are no longer translucent in the center (about 3 mins.)
    Stir the lemon juice into the quinoa, then toss the quinoa with the shrimp and veggie mixture. Season the salt and pepper to taste. (Allrecipes)

Linda

• grainlady_ks
    13 years ago

This is a favorite for breakfast. Source: "The Splendid Grain" by Rebecca Wood. For two people I usually make 1/2 the recipe. -Grainlady

BREAKFAST QUINOA
    (Makes 3-3/4 cups)

2 cups fresh orange juice (I've also used canned apricot juice and pineapple juice)
    1 t. ghee or unrefined sesame oil (or butter or coconut oil)
    1 t. honey (or agave nectar)
    1/8 t. salt
    1 c. imported quinoa or 1-1/3 domestic quinoa, well washed
    2 T. pecans, roasted and chopped very fine (I use a LOT more)

Combine the orange juice, ghee, honey, and salt in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Watch closely to keep the orange juice from boiling over. Add the quinoa, cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until all the juice has been absorbed. Remove from the heat and let rest for 5 minutes. Add the pecans and fluff with a fork. [Grainlady note: I only add the pecans as a topping on each serving. If you have any Breakfast Quinoa leftover, the nuts get rubbery while stored in the refrigerator.

QUINOA AND MANGO SALAD (Makes eight 2/3\-cup servings.) 2 c. water 1 c. uncooked quinoa 2 c. cubed peeled mangoes (about 2 large mangoes) 1/2 c. sliced green onions (or fresh chives) 1/2 c. dried cranberries (I also use dried blueberries) 2 T. chopped parsley 1/4 c. olive oil 1 T. plus 1\-1/2 t. white wine vinegar 1 t. Dijon mustard 1/2 t. salt 1/8 t. black pepper 1\. Combine water and quinoa in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10\-12 minutes. Transfer to large bowl; cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour. 2\. Add mango, green onions, cranberries and parsley to quinoa; mix well. 3\. Combine oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in small bowl; whisk until blended. Pour over quinoa mixture; mix until well blended. Tip: This salad can be made several hours ahead and refrigerated. Allow it to stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before serving. \[I've made the same mixture and used other fruits.\] \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\- \-Add some cooked quinoa to your favorite potato salad recipe for an added texture.
  • Jasdip
    13 years ago

Hi! Glad to see you peeked around the corner and posted.

I treat quinoa the same as rice. We love it mixed in with stir-fries.
    I have a recipe that uses sliced sausage, carrots, onions some spices, mixed in with cooked quinoa that has been cooked in water and orange juice. It's very good.

• bons
    13 years ago

My Quinoa tabouleh recipe:

Here is a link that might be useful: Quinoa Tabouleh

• skeip
    13 years ago

Anything you can do with Couscous or Bulgar you can do with Quinoa.

Steve

• cooksnsews
    13 years ago

How about a dessert? I got raves for this one when I took it to a potluck.

Chocolate Quinoa Cake - Gluten Free
    (From the Calgary Herald, Summer 2010)

2/3 c quinoa
    1 1/3 c water
    1/3 c milk
    4 large eggs
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    3/4 c butter, melted & cooled
    1 1/2 c sugar
    1 c unsweetened cocoa
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt

Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave the covered saucepan on the burner for another 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.

Preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare 2, 8" round or square layer pans, or a bundt pan.

Combine the milk, eggs, and vanilla in a blender or food processor, Add the cooked quinoa and the butter and continue to blend until smooth.

Whisk together the sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the contents of the blender and mix well. Divide the batter between the layer pans (or dump it all into a bundt pan). Bake for 30-45 minutes (less for layers, longer for bundt) or until cake tests done. Frost if desired, once cooled.

• KatieC
    13 years ago

We've been using quinoa instead of rice for a sort-of-risotto. No real recipe...just saute onion and garlic in oil, add the quinoa and toast a bit, then add white wine and vegetable broth (about 2 c. liquid for each 1 c, quinoa). When the quinoa's done, add a little cream and some parmesan. I like to add something green (asparagus, spinach or peas) the last few minutes.

The other night I crumbled in some dehydrated perpetual spinach leaves, slivered peel from preserved lemons, and used feta instead of the parmesan. Yum.

• susytwo
    13 years ago

We eat a lot of it in place of rice. But if you're looking for different uses, here are a few of my favorites:

Quinoa & Turkey Meatloaf

1/2 cup cooked quinoa (~1/4 cup uncooked)
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic minced
    1 package ground turkey
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 tablespoon hot sauce
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    1 pkg frozen spinach (or about 10oz cooked fresh spinach)
    1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
    1/4 cup cream cheese

In a skillet over medium heat. Saute the onions in olive oil until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute; remove from heat to cool.

Stir the turkey, cooked quinoa, onions, tomato paste, hot sauce, Worcestershire, egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. The mixture will be very moist.

In a separate bowl mix the spinach and feta and cream cheese together.

Use 2/3 of the turkey mixture to make a layer in a loaf pan. Make a trench through the middle of the layer and spoon the spinach mixture into the trench. Use the remaining 1/3 of the turkey mixture to cover the spinach.

Bake in a 350 oven, about 50 minutes. Let the meatloaf rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

Quinoa with Pine Nuts

1 cup cooked quinoa
    1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
    1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 large onion, chopped
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves

Saute the onion in olive oil and stir into cooked quinoa. Mix in pine nuts and parsley and serve.

And these Pumpkin Quinoa Muffins from Bob's Red Mill are very good:
    http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes_detail.php?rid=1117

• susytwo
    13 years ago

Oh, I just remembered that a while back I stuffed an acorn squash with a quinoa pilaf that contained onions, celery, almonds and currants, and holy cow... was it ever good! Can't find the recipe. But I remember I put a splash of orange juice in the quinoa too.

• cookingrvc
    13 years ago

Here's my favorite way to make quinoa which I use as a side dish but also as a filling in a pan-crisped tortilla.

Cook quinoa according to directions (1 part quinoa to 2 parts liquid) being sure to rinse it well prior to cooking.

Separately saute diced carrots, celery, onion. Sauté sliced shiitake mushrooms.

Toss cooked quinoa with sauteedc veggies. Chop some baby spinach or parsley and toss.

I make a big batch of this on Sunday and enjoy it all week.
    One of my favorite ways to eat it is to drizzle some olive oil in a non-stick pan and add a whole wheat tortilla topped with some goat or Monterey jack cheese or day (a non dairy cheese) and then top quinoa mixture. Cover and let crisp/warm. Fold in half and eat like a taco.

So yummy.

Sue

• arley_gw
    13 years ago

In case you're wondering why you have to rinse the quinoa before cooking, it's because it can taste a little bitter or soapy if you don't.

• sally2_gw
    13 years ago

I'm copying and pasting this whole thread. Thanks, r2ringkc, for starting it, and to all who have posted recipes.

The last time I cooked quinoa, I think I either over cooked it, or used too much liquid. I came out mushy. I'll try again, with one of the above posted recipes, and see if it turns out better.

Sally

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Sally, some recipes say to cook it for 20 minutes. That will make it mushy for sure!!!!

It turns from just right to over-cooked in no time.
    We like ours with a bite, kind of a crunch to it. Try cooking it for about 14 minutes and see how you like it.

• susytwo
    13 years ago

I like to toast it a bit in a dry pan before cooking it. It enhances the nutty flavor.

• r2ringkc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for the recipe & suggestions. As soon as the weather get nicer here in KC I'll go to Wholefoods & get quinoa (hopefully this weekend). I never tried cooking it before hopefully with all your suggestions here I will get it right. I only have it once in the cafeteria @ work & I really like it.

• sally2_gw
    13 years ago

Thanks, Jasdip, I'll try that.

Sally

• ltcollins1949
    13 years ago

These are some recipes that I have collected over the years. I don't know where I found them, but if they have already been posted, I'm sorry. I've tried some of them, but not all of them.

Warm Quinoa, Spinach, and Shiitake Salad
    Serves 4

1/2 cup red-wine vinegar (or white-wine vinegar, Champaign vinegar, white balsamic vinegar your choice)
    2/3 cup olive oil (extra virgin olive oil)
    Salt & Pepper to taste (Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper, can use white pepper)
    2 pounds fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps halved (or your favorite mushroom)
    1 1/2 cups quinoa (I would used the boxes kind and follow directions on box.)
    1 pound baby spinach (or any greens that you like including young dandelions)
    1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese, about 8 ounces (or any cheese that you like. I think that stilton cheese would be very good or blue cheese.)
    *Nuts (You choice, pinions, almonds, pecans, peanuts, etc. If you are using salted nuts, you might want to reduce the salt you put in.)
    *Hot sauce to taste

Heat broiler; set rack 4" from heat. For dressing, in small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. On a broiler pan toss mushrooms with half of the dressing reserving the rest. Broil, tossing occasionally until most of the liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.

In a small saucepan combine the quinoa, 3 cups water and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Bring to boil, reduce to medium heat. Cover and simmer until liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. OR JUST FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON THE PACKAGE OF QUINOA THAT YOU ARE USING.

Place spinach in large bowl, add hot mushrooms, quinoa and reserved dressing, and nuts and hot sauce. Toss to combine, spinach will wilt. Top with crumbled cheese and serve immediately.

*Optional

TOASTED ALMOND AND QUINOA SALAD
    Serves 4

1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    2 oranges, peeled
    1/4 cup toasted, slivered almonds
    21/2 cups cooked quinoa, at room temperature
    Salt and pepper, to tast

Whisk lemon juice, oil, tarragon and parsley in a large serving bowl. Section oranges and cut each section into thirds. Stir oranges into the bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

TOASTED ALMOND AND CITRUS QUINOA
    Serves 4

People who aren't crazy about the texture of whole grains may delight in quinoa. Its tiny round grains have a slight toothsomeness that my teenage daughter describes as "vegetable caviar." Quinoa has a bland but pleasant flavor that is enhanced by the addition of flavorful broth or other ingredients. One half-cup serving contains 3.5 g of fiber.

1 cup uncooked quinoa
    1 1/2 cups cold, fresh water, broth, or stock
    1/4 teaspoon salt (if unsalted broth is used)
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 tablespoon cold-pressed olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon organic lemon zest
    1 teaspoon organic orange zest
    3/4 cup parsley, chopped
    3 chopped scallions, including green tops
    1/4 cup toasted, slivered almonds with skin

Rinse the quinoa in cold water until it is no longer sudsy. Drain well through a strainer. (Depending on whether you buy your quinoa packaged or in bulk, it may have been pre-rinsed, but it's best to rinse anyway, because unless the bitter saponin that coats the grain has been thoroughly removed, your recipe will be ruined.)

In a 1-quart pan, bring the water to a boil. Stir in the quinoa and salt. Reduce the heat to low/medium; cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and quickly boil off any remaining liquid. Scrape the grain into a serving dish.
    In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, oil, and zests and stir in the remaining ingredients. Add the mixture to the cooled quinoa, stir, and serve chilled or at room temperature.

QUINOA, GARLIC, AND RED PEPPERS
    Serves 6

Quinoa (pronounced "keen-wa") is an ancient protein-rich grain from the Andes. Try this recipe when you need to make a quick meal, or serve it as an accompaniment to any main dish.

11/2 cups water
    2 tablespoons Marmite, Vegemite, or beef or vegetable bouillon
    1 cup quinoa
    1 tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
    3 cloves garlic

Heat the water and the Marmite, Vegemite, or bouillon in a heavy pot. Meanwhile, put the quinoa into a fine strainer and rinse until the water is clear and free of suds.
    Puree the rosemary and garlic in a coffee grinder, or press the garlic and crush the rosemary. Add the quinoa, garlic, and rosemary to the bouillon and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated. Top with Garlic-Marinated Roasted Red Peppers (see recipe below).

GARLIC-MARINATED ROASTED RED PEPPERS

Create a colorful cuisine by garnishing a variety of foods with this treat, which is rich in antioxidants. It needs to marinate for at least two hours, so plan ahead.

1 sweet red bell pepper
    1 clove garlic, pressed
    1 tablespoon cold-pressed olive oil

Put the red pepper directly on your gas or electric stove burner on high heat. Using tongs, turn the pepper as it chars. When most of the skin is black and blistered, place the pepper into a paper bag for 5 minutes to "sweat" the skin off. Scrape off what skin you can and wipe off the remainder. You won't be able to rid the pepper completely of its skin, so don't be tempted to rinse it.

Cut the pepper open and drain any juice into a bowl. (The fresher the pepper, the more juice.) Remove the seeds and ribs. Cut the pepper into quarters, lengthwise. Stack the quarters and cut them into matchstick-sized pieces. Put the pepper, pressed garlic, and olive oil into the bowl with the pepper juice and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (or up to several days), turning occasionally.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Welcome out of luckdom, r2ringkc.

I never had quinoa until Jessica came to visit from California and brought me some from Trader Joe's. I love the stuff. I like this for breakfast, I use skim milk and frozen blueberries, and cook it just long enough to warm the berries. Also yummy with maple syrup...

Breakfast quinoa

2 cups whole or low-fat milk, plus more for serving
    1 cup quinoa, rinsed
    3 tablespoons light-brown sugar, plus more for serving
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for serving
    1 cup (1/2 pint) fresh blueberries, plus more for serving

Bring milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until three-quarters of the milk has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.

Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Cook, covered, until almost all the milk has been absorbed, about 8 minutes. Stir in blueberries, and cook for 30 seconds. Serve with additional milk, sugar, cinnamon, and blueberries.

Annie

• cookie8
    12 years ago

I just bought the best recipe book and remembered this post. If you are really interested in moving into quinoa a bit more it is called Quinoa, The Everyday Superfood by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming. It has over 150 recipes using it.