Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
St. Patrick's Day Leprechaun Hat Brownie Bites advice, please!

Posted by olychick (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 3:48

Momj47(thank you!) posted this recipe from Yankee Magazine on the St Patrick's Day dessert thread. I'd like to make them for a big party I'm going to and they look easy, but I have no idea what the green melts are that they talk about for frosting. I'm assuming it's a candy making supply? But that is not available in my town and no time to mail order. Is there something I could substitute? White choc chips/or baking white chocolate with green food coloring? A thin pourable frosting? What kind/recipe would I use? Should I dip them? I welcome any ideas you might have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leprechaun Hat Brownie Bites

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: St. Patrick's Day Leprechaun Hat Brownie Bites advice, please

olychick, I too live in a small town without access to lots of "fancy" stuff. However, last week I found that my local Wal-Mart has a Wilton aisle. Among many other things, I noticed they had the colored candy melts. Below is a link so you can see what the recipe was referring to.

If you can't find the candy melts, wonder if white chocolate bark with green gel coloring would work? Maybe some of the nifty bakers on the forum will respond.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wilton Candy Melts

o

I agree, the green melts are available at the local WalMart in the cake decorating/wedding/Wilton aisle.

They melt, just like white chocolate. I'd just use the white chips and add green coloring. I do have powdered food color, so there would not be an opportunity for the white chocolate to "seize" with that but really, I don't think there is a problem.

In fact, I'd probably do half green with dark hatbands and half dark chocolate with some mint flavoring and green hatbands, just to mix up the treat plate!

Have fun and happy St. Pat's!

Annie

o

Great idea to do both chocolate and green, Annie. Thanks to you both for the tip, but I don't shop at Walmart...so white choc will have to do. Do you think I should dip them or pour? After I wrote this, I read the recipe for the pourable fondant and wondered if that might work? I've had white choc seize before, but was able to save it, although how escapes me right now.

o

I've done marshmallow pilgrim hats before and I think you could easily make them leprachauny with a tube of green icing and/or green food coloring and cake frosting. (These aren't my creation.)

I've seen the bottoms done with thin mints and with the Keebler shortbread cookies. The top part of the hat is a marshmallow dipped in chocolate. I've also seen the marshmallow spread with chocolate frosting. You could mix green food color in white frosting and spread it over the chocolate cookie and the marshmallow.

Sounds like a fun project.

o

olychick, the pourable fondant would work, but you would probably have to do more than one coat to cover brownies or the dark color would peek through the fondant.

I don't shop at Walmart, but I did go there on purpose to buy pink candy melts for something I was doing. They are also available at craft places like Hobby Lobby and Michael's.

If you use white chocolate it might be more difficult to pour, although you could then let it pool around the bottom to make more of a "brim" on your hat.

I just don't like dealing with white chocolate, I've gotten white chocolate concrete more than once, somehow I don't have "the touch". Or maybe it's the patience I don't have, LOL. Really? I think the green food coloring would be fine, but I'd probably not try to melt the white chocolate in the microwave, I seem to have the most trouble doing that.

Annie

o

Annie, thanks - we do have a Michael's here, if they're not already sold out of green melts. I just can't go to Walmart...I like being able to say that I've never been in one and never will :) Yes, I've had the same problems with white choc chips esp. in the micro, but better luck with the Bakers white chocolate squares. I'll get some of those if I can't get the green melts tomorrow. I have no patience either, but the double boiler saves me from scorching it.

I appreciate the suggestions.

o

Well, I scored green melts at Michael's along with some adorable cupcake cups with shamrocks and some shamrock cake decorations (all St. P's things on 50% off!), so thank you for that suggestion, Annie. I'm excited to try these, I think they will be a hit with the kids and am making Guinness cupcakes with Baileys/cream cheese frosting for the adults.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here