SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

New Recipe Review - March 2010

caliloo
14 years ago

Post the new recipes you try in the month of March here - and let us know if you liked 'em or not and any changes you might have made.

Alexa

Comments (55)

• ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I was down at the Reading Terminal Market on Monday and bought some leeks and shitake mushrooms, among a zillion other things. I remembered this recipe in my To Try File so I got two chicken thighs and made it last night. I served it with some orzo and juienned steamed carrots and zucchini.

When I tasted the sauce, it seemed a little bland so I added some ground coriander and that was just what it needed so I modified the recipe accordingly. My friend and I both liked it and I would make it again. I'm going to add it to the healthy recipe thread too.

CHICKEN THIGHS WITH LEEKS & SHITAKES (2 servings 330 calories each)

2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
    1 Tbs. flour
    3 tsp. olive oil, divided
    1 large leek, white and light green parts only, trimmed and sliced
    4 oz. shitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    1/8 tsp. salt
    Sprinkle of ground coriander
    1 1/2 tsp. minced fresh tarragon or 1/2 tsp. dried

Place chicken on a plate and sprinkle lightly all over with flour. Reserve the excess flour.

Heat 2 tsp. oil in nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, 4 to 6 minutes total. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.

Add the remaining 1 tsp. of oil, leek and mushrooms to the pan. Cook over med-high heat, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender.

Sprinkle the reserved flour over the vegetables and stir to coat. Add broth, wine, salt and coriander and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan and simmer, turning the chicken occasionally, until it is cooked through, about 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in tarragon and add salt and pepper to taste, if needed.

• shaun
    14 years ago

Beanthere - see, I knew it needed something!

I'd add lots of garlic and real onions to this dish next time too and more spinach for sure.

• Related Discussions

New recipe review for March . . .

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks Laurie...she says sarcastically! I have everything necessary to make those muffins which I will do after I finish my canning project.
    ...See More

New Recipe Review - April 2010

Q

Comments (40)
    I'm glad I read through the whole string first -- mine is the same as fearlessm's! We loved it, too. I'm going to post it here for everyone's convenience, and also to note that Bittman said (not that anyone here needs permission!) to vary it as desired: rice, couscous, quinoa instead of bulgar; cilantro (ick) instead of parsley; other dried fruits instead of apricots, etc. I'll also submit another really good new one we loved this month. Both of these will be on the menu often. I used figs because I was low on apricots, and I increased the amount of tomatoes. I used six or more thighs, but only used about 1 1/2 times the other ingredients, which was PLENTY. Chickpea Tagine With Chicken and Apricots The Minimalist: An Expedited Tagine (NYT April 14, 2010) Time: About 45 minutes Yield: 4 servings. 2 tablespoons olive oil 4 skinless chicken thighs 1 large onion, chopped 1 tablespoon minced garlic 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander 1 tablespoon ground cumin 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots (or figs, or any dried fruit) 1 cup (I like more) chopped tomato (fresh or canned or boxed, with juice) 2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas, drained, with the liquid reserved 1 to 2 cups chicken or other stock, bean liquid, or water, or more as needed 1/2 cup bulgur (or couscous, rice, etc.) Salt and freshly ground black pepper 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, for garnish. 1. Put oil in a large, deep pot over medium-high heat. When oil is shimmering, add chicken and brown well on both sides; remove from pan and set aside. Reduce heat to medium, add onion to the pan and cook until soft, about 5 minutes; add garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, dried apricots and tomato. Cook and stir just long enough to loosen any brown bits from bottom of pan. 2. Add chickpeas and 1 cup of stock or bean liquid to the pan and turn heat back to medium-high. When mixture reaches a gentle bubble, return chicken to the pan. Cover pot, turn heat to low and cook, checking occasionally to make sure the mixture is bubbling gently, for about 15 minutes or until tomatoes break down and flavors begin to meld. Stir in bulgur, adding more stock if necessary so that the mixture is covered with about an inch of liquid. Season with salt and pepper. 3. Cover and cook until the chicken and bulgur are both done, about 10 to 15 minutes. Taste, adjust the seasonings and serve in bowls (I didn't; just all in one big bowl. It's not too runny to eat on plates) garnished with parsley. *** This salad tastes fantastic, looks very colorful, and keeps really well. It would be great for a potluck. Recipe said it's best room temperature, but I loved the leftovers cold at least as much. It was reprinted in the Columbus Dispatch in January, I think, from Mustard Seed Market &Cafe Natural Foods Cookbook by Bev Shaffer. Wheat berry salad with curry vinaigrette Ingredients for the Curry Vinaigrette: 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar 1 tablespoon curry powder 1 tablespoon. packed freshly grated ginger (about a 1-inch piece grated) 1 large garlic clove, minced or pressed 1 teaspoon sea salt Freshly ground black pepper to taste 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil Ingredients for the Wheat Berry Salad: 8 cups water 1 1/2 cups whole-grain wheat berries 3 teaspoons red wine vinegar 1 lb. red beets, washed, stems and roots cut off 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil Sea salt Freshly ground black pepper 1 cup finely diced red onion 4 celery stalks, cut in 1/4-inch thick slices 1/2 cup dried cranberries or dried tart cherries 1/2 teaspoon. ground cinnamon 1/2 cup toasted, coarsely chopped pecans Directions for the Curry Vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, curry powder, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the oil in a slow steady stream, whisking to blend and form an emulsion. Set aside until ready to use. Makes about 1 cup. Directions for the wheat berry salad: In a large saucepan, combine the 8 cups of water with the wheat berries and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 35 minutes, until the wheat berries are tender but still chewy. Drain the wheat berries in a colander, then place them into a large bowl. Pour the vinegar over the hot wheat berries and toss, coating evenly. Seat aside to cool to room temperature. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Halve the beets, cutting them into roughly the same size. Toss with the olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and place cut side down on a baking pan lined with foil. Roast for 30 to 35 minutes, until soft when pierced with a fork. When the beets are roasted, remove the pan from the oven and set aside just until the beets are cool enough to handle. Using a small paring knife or your fingers, peel the skin off the beets, and then cube the beets into 1/2-inch pieces. Set aside in a glass bowl until ready to use. Toss the onion, celery, dried cranberries or cherries, and cinnamon into the bowl with the wheat berries. Pour the Curry Vinaigrette over the salad, tossing gently to combine. Just before serving, add the pecans and the beets. For best flavor, serve at room temperature. Makes 6 or more servings (It made a LOT more than that).
    ...See More

New Recipe Review - July 2010

Q

Comments (37)
    I'm attending a family get together today and I'm supposed to bring a couple appetizers. 3 weeks ago I broke my ankle so grocery shopping has been on hold as I'm not overly coordinated with crutches. Hence I scoured my pantry and freezers to find ingredients for appys. I managed to come up with homemade hummus and homemade flatbread and this ad lib mini quiche recipe I threw together. I just tried one and am very pleased with the results. I'm glad I kept notes as I went along. I just typed this out so I thought I'd share. Beet Green & Spinach Mini Quiches Makes 24 Mini Quiches 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 tbs. finely minced salt pork 1 medium onion, chopped 1 leek, white & light green part chopped 3 garlic cloves, minced ¼ tsp. ground pepper 2 cups chopped blanched beet greens & spinach or use frozen, thawed and squeezed dry (This is 2 cups after cooking or thawing and sqeezing dry) 1/2 cup freshly grated mild cheese such as white American 1/2 cup freshly grated Asiago cheese ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan 1/2 cup dried parmesan breadcrumbs 4 large eggs, lightly beaten 1 package Pillsbury Pie Crust or two crust recipe Directions 1. Preheat oven to 375. 2. Make the filling: In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add salt pork and cook until salt pork starts to turn golden brown. Add onions, garlic and leeks, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. 3. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; stir in spinach, cheese, Parmesan breadcrumbs, 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Fold in eggs until combined. 4. Roll out piecrust and cut 24 3" rounds with a fluted cookie cutter. 5. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray and wipe out excess. Press piecrust rounds into muffin tin. 6. Fill crusts to top of crust keeping filling inside crust edge with about 1 tbs. of spinach mixture. 7. Bake about 25 minutes until crust is light brown. 8. Remove muffins tine from oven and coo on wrack about 10 minutes. Use a sharp knife to remove quiches from muffin tine. 9. Serve immediately or cool quiches on wire rack and store in fridge or freezer for later use.
    ...See More

I'll share my recipes, if you'll share yours - March 25, 2010

Q

Comments (3)
    Premium Tres Leches Cake Three forms of leche, or "milk," are poured over a baked cake to create its signature indulgence. Cake mix and ready-to-spread frosting make it easy. Prep Time: 15 min Total Time: 1 hour 55 min Makes: 15 servings full spoonfull spoonfull spoonfull spoonempty spoon 238 Ratings 147 Reviews 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® yellow cake mix 1 1/4 cups water 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 2 teaspoons vanilla 4 eggs 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated) 1 cup whole milk or evaporated milk 1 cup whipping cream 1 container Betty Crocker® Whipped fluffy white frosting 1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease and flour or spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan. 2. In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil, vanilla and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan. 3. Bake 29 to 35 minutes or until edges are golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes. Poke top of hot cake every 1/2 inch with long-tined fork, wiping fork occasionally to reduce sticking. 4. In large bowl, stir together sweetened condensed milk, whole milk and whipping cream. Carefully pour evenly over top of cake. Cover; refrigerate about 1 hour or until mixture is absorbed into cake. Frost with frosting. Sue
    ...See More
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 years ago

I do think the name is misleading; it should read sponge cake. It's a nice cake with a bubbly top and nice texture. But what I really think the role this will play in my life is, I have trying to duplicate the Madelines at Starbucks. After a million tries with Madelines, I finally figured out that their "cookies" are really not Madelines, but sponge cakelets. This recipe is an exact duplicate. I think I'd halve and it'd make about 24 cakelets. The recipe is from our very own Monique. Man I miss her and her photos! There is no telling how long ago she posted this recipe, considering how long it takes me to try things.

Monique's Gâteau au Beurre

4 eggs
    2 cups sugar
    2 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    pinch of salt

Heat 1 1/2 cups of milk with 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter until tepid. Add it to the rest of the ingredients. Bake at 350 degrees for a 1/2 hour. This makes enough for 2 8-inch cake pans.

**My notes, I upped the butter to 3 tablespoons""

It was also good with blackberry preserves as a filling and iced with an icredibly tart lemon buttercream frosting. I got the recipe from Country Living. Their cake is probably good, I'd just decided I'd try Moinque's recipe last week and had all the ingredients already.

Country Living's Lemon-Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients
    1/2 cup (3 large eggs) egg whites
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 pound unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    Make the frosting: In a large stainless-steel bowl placed over a pot filled with 1 inch of simmering water, place the egg whites and sugar. Use a whisk to beat the mixture until it is very hot to the touch (about 160 degrees F). Remove from heat and, using a mixer set on high speed, immediately begin whipping the mixture until it is cool, thick, and glossy and has tripled in volume -- about 5 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to medium and add the butter -- about a quarter cup at a time -- allowing 5 to 10 seconds in between each addition. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice and continue to beat until smooth and fluffy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Country Living's Lemon Blackberry cake

• jude31
    14 years ago

I got this recipe from one of those sites that sends me automatic emails...don't remember which one.

ROASTED BANANA MUFFINS

(Makes 12)

2 ripe bananas

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/4 cups sugar

2 teas. baking powder

1/2 teas. baking soda

1/2 teas. coarse salt

1/2 cup milk

1 large egg, beaten

4 T. (1/2 stick)unsalted butter, melted

3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Make a 3-inch long slice down each banana skin and lay the bananas on a baking sheet.

Roast bananas until skins turn black and juices in the bananas start to run from the slits in the skins, about 10 minutes. Remove bananas from the oven but keep oven on. When bananas are cool enough to handle, discard peels and place bananas in a bowl or large, shallow dish. Mash with a fork and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk to blend evenly. In another large bowl, whisk milk, egg, and melted butter. Stir in the mashed banana. Thoroughly combine dry ingredients with banana mixture and stir with a wooden spoon to blend well.

Place a paper baking liner into each cup of a 12-tin muffin pan. Spoon batter into each cup, filling about 3/4 full. Bake until golden brown or until toothpick inserted comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes.

Note: I only had one banana on hand so I halved the recipe. There was enough batter for 8 muffins. Easy, peasy recipe and they are very good.

jude

• caliloo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda C was looking for this thread... so TTT

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Shaun, I halved the recipe since it was just me, so if you make it again for four, probably need more than 1/4 onion rather than the "less" I noted.

• Georgysmom
    14 years ago

Someone on this forum posted a recipe for candied ginger but I couldn't imagine ever needing that much since I don't really use it. I have a puppy that gets car sick when I have to take her in the car. This makes me very sad since my last dog went every where with me except in the warm months. I read an article that said it helps to give the dog ginger about a half hour before taking it in the car. I couldn't find the recipe on this forum so I tried David Lebovitz's recipe off the internet today. I made a big batch of it and guess what, Georgy doesn't like it. Guess I'll be drinking a lot of tea with candied ginger. Any other ideas for its use?

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Chop it finely and put it in muffins or biscotti or gingerbread or....

• Georgysmom
    14 years ago

I have had a recipe for Chicken Country Captain for many years but decided to try a new one. This one uses a homemade curry mix instead of just using a store bought curry powder. The depth of flavor was so much better. I really enjoyed it and will make again.

Curry Mix:
    3T. Ancho chili powder
    2 tsp. ground cumin
    2 tsp. ground coriander
    2 tsp. ground fennel
    2 tsp. ground turmeric
    1 tsp. ground cardamon
    1 tsp. ground cloves
    1 tsp. chili de arbol (I couldn't find this so I used hot chili powder)
    1 tsp. ground black pepper
    Mix together and store in jar.

Chicken Country Captain

2 tsp. canola oil
    6 slices bacon, diced
    2 T. unsalted butter
    1 1/2 C. all purpose flour
    salt and pepper

8 deboned and skinned chicken thighs
    1 medium Spanish onion halved and thinly sliced
    2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
    1/2 Serrano chili finely diced
    2 tsp curry mix (from recipe above)
    1 C dry white wine
    2 C chicken stock
    1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
    1/4 C currants or raisins
    1 1/2 T. chopped fresh thyme
    Honey
    1/3 C coarsely chopped flat -leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
    sliced almonds, slightly toasted

Preheat oven 325 degrees. Heat oil in large, high sided saute pan over med. - high heat. Add bacon and cook until golden brown and crisp. Remove with slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels. Add butter and 1 T. canola oil to rendered bacon fat in pan and heat until it begins to shimmer. Put flour in shallow bowl and season liberally with salt and pepper. Season chicken on both sides, dredge in flour and tap off excess. Sear chicken on both sides until golden brown. Remove to plate. Add onion and bell peppper to pan. Season with salt and pepper and cook until soft about 5 min. Add garlic and serrano pepper. Cook 1 min. Stir in curry mix and cook 1 minute. Add wine and cook until wine is reduced by 3/4. Add chicken stock. Bring to simmer and reduce slightly. Stir in tomato, currants, thyme, 2 tsp. honey and season with salt and pepper. Bring to simmer. Nestle thighs in pan. Cover with tight fitting lid and bake 35 minutes. Remove lid and bake 15 min.

I made this end of February and decided it looked so good and I had so much time invested that I decided to put it in a pretty baking dish and put in freezer. I invited some neighbors for dinner several days later. Defrosted and baked according to instructions, covering baking dish with foil. When done , I sprinkled it with the bacon, nuts and parsley. Served with rice pilaf and asparagus. It was well received and was so easy because it can be made ahead. If not freezing, would make the day before. The flavors tasted better the next day. Great make ahead meal. The chicken thighs were very tender and it's an inexpensive meal. Served a salad with butter lettuce , pears and blue cheese topped with roasted oyster mushrooms and Spago house
    dressing. Topped off the meal with the Pioneer Woman's apple dumplings and vanilla ice cream. Not bad for a spur of the moment invitation and it was so easy.

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Finally got around to trying this today and it was really good! A little putzy removing the membranes from the fruit, but all in all it was definitely a keeper. I used red grapefruit, navel oranges and mandarin oranges.

Cardamom Citrus Fruit Salad

1 large ruby pink grapefruit
    3 oranges (navel, blood, mandarin or a combination)
    1/4 c honey
    2 T fresh lime or lemon juice
    1/4 tsp ground cardamom

Peel the fruit and cut away the membranes from the individual segments with a sharp knife. Place peeled segments in a large bowl.

Drain off any excess juice from the fruit into a saucepan. Add the lime juice, honey and cardamom. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes then remove from heat and cool to room temp.

Pour over the fruit mixture and gently fold to coat fruit. Chill 15 minutes. Serves 4

Linda

• fearlessem
    14 years ago

Just made a recipe that I'm sure will be one of the best new recipes of the year for me... A thick and chewy granola bar recipe from Smitten Kitchen. These are truly out of this world -- I pretty much swoon each time I eat one, and can't imagine calling anything else a granola bar after these! I used a mix of craisins and apricots as the fruit, walnuts as the nuts, and about 1/4 cup of sesame seeds, which gave them a fantastic nutty flavor...

Here is a link that might be useful: Thick and Chewy Granola Bars

• foodonastump
    14 years ago

Tried a couple recipes from the latest Cooking Light. Loved them both. Unfortunately I walked away from the glaze and totally burnt it, but even just marinated the steak was great. I grilled instead of broiled. Loved the cukes, too. They reminded me of seaweed salad, both in taste and texture. I've got plans for the other half of my flank steak - will post about that later in the week.

Maple and Soy Glazed Flank Steak

1 l-pound flank steak, trimmed
    1/4 cup less sodium soy sauce
    3T maple syrup
    2T sake or dry sherry
    2t dark sesame oil
    1t sriracha
    1/8 t pepper

Pierce the steak on both sides with a fork. Mix the rest and marinate steak for 20 minutes at room temp.

Remove steak from marinade, boil the marinade until thick and syrupy. Brush steak with half of the glaze, broil five minutes. Flip, brush with the rest of the glace, broil another five minutes or until at your desired doneness.

Silky Sesame Cucumbers

Slice an English cucumber very thinly and toss with a teaspoon of kosher salt. Let stand 15 minutes. Drain; firmly squeeze dry, and place in a bowl. Drizzle with 2 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar and 3/4 tsp dark sesame oil; toss well. Stir in 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 years ago

I'm getting ready for St. Patrick's Day. I've had lamb one other time and it was gamey. I hated it. I decided maybe if I cook it, it'd be ok! This was a really good and hearty stew.

Irish Lamb Stew
    "Juicy cubes of lamb are tossed in seasoned flour and browned in bacon fat - and that's just the start of this rich and hearty one-pot Irish feast!"
    Ingredients:
    1 1/2 pounds thickly sliced bacon, diced
    6 pounds boneless lamb shoulder, cut
    into 2 inch pieces
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 large onion, chopped
    1/2 cup water 4 cups beef stock
    2 teaspoons white sugar
    4 cups diced carrots
    2 large onions, cut into bite-size pieces
    3 potatoes
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    2 bay leaves
    1 cup white wine

Directions:
    1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside.

2. Put lamb, salt, pepper, and flour in large mixing bowl. Toss to coat meat evenly. Brown meat in frying pan with bacon fat.

3. Place meat into stock pot (leave 1/4 cup of fat in frying pan). Add the garlic and yellow onion and saute till onion begins to become golden. Deglaze frying pan with 1/2 cup water and add the garlic-onion mixture to the stock pot with bacon pieces, beef stock, and sugar. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.

4. Add carrots, onions, potatoes, thyme, bay leaves, and wine to pot. Reduce heat, and simmer covered for 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.

Here is a link that might be useful: All Recipes-by Danny O'Flaugherty

• JoanM
    14 years ago

I picked up a bag of cinnamon chips on the 50% off rack and I didn't know what to do with them so I tried one of the recipes on the bag. We loved them and I will make them again for sure. I used my little cookie scooper and got a lot more than 4 dozen. Probably about 60-70 cookies.

Oatmeal Cinnamon Chips Cookies
    Hersheys

1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    2 eggs
    1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
    1-2/3 cups (10-oz. pkg.) HERSHEY'S Cinnamon Chips
    3/4 cup raisins
    1. Heat oven to 350°F.

2. Beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in bowl until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Combine flour and baking soda; add to butter mixture, beating well. Stir in oats, cinnamon chips and raisins (batter will be stiff). Drop by heaping teaspoons unto ungreased cookie sheet.

3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes on until lightly browned. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. About 4 dozen.

BAR VARIATION: Spread batter into lightly greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake at 350°F. for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool; cut into bars. About 3 dozen bars.

• bri29
    14 years ago

I made blood orange caramels last night and oh my were they good. I had to take them to work to share so I wouldn't eat them all! :) I didn't have any almonds so I omitted them, but other than that I followed the directions. The recipe came from Matt Armendariz of Matt Bites, I've included the link to his site.

Bri

Cindies Blood Orange Caramels with Toasted Almonds and Sea Salt
    Could you use regular oranges? Perhaps. I wouldnt. Blood oranges are very special and Im quite fond of them. And they are in season right now. Cindie says if you prefer a tart candy you can cut the brown sugar in half. I happen to think they were just perfect as written.

3 cups blood orange juice, strained
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup toasted almonds
    2 teaspoons sea salt flakes

Line the bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper. Butter parchment paper and set aside.

Place blood orange juice in a 4-quart heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Let boil until liquid is reduced to 1/3 cup.

Remove from heat and stir in sugars, butter, and cream. Return to high heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Turn heat to medium and let boil until a candy or deep fat thermometer reads 248 degrees F (or when a half teaspoon placed in a glass of icy cold water turns into a firm, chewy ball), about 17 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Scatter almonds on bottom of parchment paper. Pour caramel over almonds. Let sit until cool and firm, about 2 hours. Remove from baking dish and sprinkle salt flakes over top. Cut into 1-inch pieces.

Here is a link that might be useful: Matt Bites

• caliloo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Made this Orange Cardamom Cake that has been in my TT file for ages. The only changes I made were I left out the lemon rind and added a bit of cardamom to the glaze. It is good, but I am such a cardamom junkie I think I would incerase the cardamom in the cake too.

Orange Cardamom Cake

Drizzling the glaze over the warm cake allows some of it to be absorbed. --Recipe by David Bonom

CAKE:
    Cooking spray
    3 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 3/4 teaspoons ground cardamom
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup fresh orange juice
    2/3 cup canola oil
    1 tablespoon grated orange rind
    2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
    3 large eggs

GLAZE:
    1 cup powdered sugar
    4 1/2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
    1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350°.
    To prepare cake, coat a 10-inch tube pan or Bundt pan with cooking spray; dust with 1 tablespoon flour. Set aside.
    Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine 3 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, cardamom, cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Make a well in center of mixture. Add 3/4 cup orange juice, canola oil, orange rind, lemon rind, vanilla, and eggs to flour mixture, and beat with a mixer at low speed until well combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
    Spoon batter into prepared cake pan, spreading evenly. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes on a wire rack, and remove from pan.
    To prepare glaze, combine 1 cup of powdered sugar, 4 1/2 teaspoons orange juice, and lemon juice in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Drizzle glaze over warm cake; cool cake completely on wire rack.

Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

• kathleenca
    14 years ago

For lunch today I made grilled blue cheese & apple sandwiches from Home Restaurant in NY; I have their cookbook.

Grilled Blue Cheese and Apple Sandwiches
    2 servings

4 slices of dark rye or pumpernickel bread
    4 - 6 Tbsp butter
    1/2 c crumbled blue cheese
    1 Granny Smith or Gravenstein apple, sliced thin

Place 2 Tbsp butter in frying pan & melt over medium low heat.
    Use the remaining butter to butter one side of each slice of bread. Place two slices butter side down in pan.
    Divide blue cheese between the slices in the pan.
    Lay slices of apple on each to cover cheese.
    Place remaining two slices of bread on apples, buttered side up.
    Fry until cheese softens & bread is toasted.

With this, I made a potato salad from Marion Cunningham.

American Potato Salad
    6 servings

1 1/2 lb red potatoes
    1/4 c. olive oil
    1/4 c lemon juice
    3 stalks celery, diced
    1/4 - 1/3 c mayonnaise
    salt, pepper

Cut potatoes into fourths & boil in water to cover until barely tender, 10 - 15 minutes. Drain.
    As soon as potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut into cubes, & place in bowl.
    While still hot, toss with oil & lemon juice until completely coated.
    Add celery & mayonnaise.
    Season with salt & pepper to taste.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Restaurant

• ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago

I tried this recipe Thursday night with mixed results. The flavors and glaze were great but there was so much scallion, pepper and especially ginger mixed in with the meat that we couldnt really taste the beef. I used half watercress and half baby spinach for the greens and we loved the flavor of the watercress. I use a lot of watercress in the spring for salads, soups and salad dressings but never before thought of sauteeing it.

I would definitely make it again but cut back on the quantity of those three ingredients. It was one of those low in fat and calories but not in flavor ones weve been searching out in the last year.

ASIAN SALISBURY STEAKS 2 servings

6 oz. 90% lean ground beef
    1/3 cup finely diced red bell pepper
    1/3 cup chopped scallions
    2 Tbs. plain dry breadcrumbs
    2 Tbs. hoisin sauce, divided
    1 Tbs. finely minced fresh ginger
    1 1/2 tsp. canola oil, divided
    8 cups trimmed watercress (2 bunches or one 4-oz. bag)
    1/4 cup rice wine or dry sherry

Place rack in upper third of oven; preheat the broiler. Coat a broiler pan and rack with cooking spray.

Gently mix beef, red pepper, scallions, breadcrumbs, 1 Tbs. hoisin sauce and ginger in a medium bowl until just combined. Form the mixture into two oblong patties and place on the prepared broiler-pan rack. Brush the tops of the patties with 1/2 tsp. oil. Broil, flipping once, until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tsp. oil over high heat. Add watercress and cook, stirring often, until just wilted, 1 to 3 minutes. Divide the watercress between two plates. Return the pan to medium-high heat. Add rice wine or sherry and the remaining 1 Tbs. hoisin sauce. Cook, stirring, until smooth, bubbling and slightly reduced, about one minute. Top the watercress with the Salisbury steaks and drizzle with the pan sauce.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

FOAS:
    Hi, haven't been on the CF much but I saw you tried the Fluffly Cheese Cake.
    Glad you liked.

I freeze mine and then slice it. Put pieces of parchment Paper in between the slices.
    Put it into a plastic container and into a plastic bag.
    It freezes well.

You can take out what you want to use and nuke about 10 Seconds.
    Place the remaining into a smaller container.
    When the containers get too small, make another Cake.
    Lou

• TobyT
    14 years ago

We discovered something fabulous while in Maui. It is called poke (poh-kay) and I think of it as a cross between sushi and ceviche, both of which I love. There are many kinds of poke, made with many kinds of fish and shellfish, but I think that the ahi wasabi was our favourite. Another plus is that when I was at the seafood store today to buy some ahi, the owner and I got to talking and he asked how I was going to cook it. I told him about poke and he told me to forget about buying steaks, buy scraps. So when they trim the ahi into steaks and roasts, they keep all the bits and sell them for 6.00 per pound as opposed to 18.00 for steaks and roasts. I prefer the ahi cut into tiny cubes, about 1/4" to 1/2". This recipe is a jumping off point, we had poke made with crab, octopus, mussels and it was all fantastic. For me though, the main flavours that I enjoyed were the wasabi, soy, sesame and ginger. We had variations that had chopped cucumber, green onions, water chestnuts, etc. So basically, whatever floats your boat (or your outrigger canoe!)

Instructions
    Things You'll Need:

* 1 lb. fresh Ahi tuna steak, sushi grade (not frozen)
    * 1/4 c. sweet chili sauce (May Ploy brand, if you can get it)
    * 1 tbsp. sesame oil
    * 1/4 c. low-sodium soy sauce
    * 1/2 c. chopped green onion, green tops only
    * wasabi powder or paste
    * 2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds or black sesame seeds
    * Round tortilla chips

Step 1
    Chop ahi tuna into pearl-sized pieces

Chop ahi tuna into pearl-sized pieces

Begin by chopping the raw ahi tuna into pearl-sized bits. Using a VERY sharp slicing knife cut across the grain then cross cut the slices into smaller pieces. Place in a glass or ceramic bowl.

Step 2

Combine the sweet chili sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce and green onions together then pour over the chopped ahi tuna and gently stir.

Step 3

If you would like to add some "kick" to your poke appetizer recipe, add a little wasabi and mix well. Start with just a 1/4 teaspoon, then taste, adding more if you like.

Garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and serve with tortilla chips or rice crackers on the side for scooping. Serves 10-12 people.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

A quick Garlicky , Spicy meal.

I was a little busy today and forgot to take something from the freezer.

So I put some Thin Spaghetti on the Range to cook.

Meanwhile, I took a can of Bushes- Garabonzo Beans ,
    ( Chick peas )and started simmering them.

Then I opened a can of Progresso, White Clam sauce,W Garlic and Herbs, put them in a SS pot.

Just before the Spaghetti were done,I drained the Beans and dumped them into the Clam Sauce.

Added this to the Spaghetti and sprinkled on some Parmesan cheese.

It took about 15 minutes to prepare and was Magnifico !!!

A few spoons of Spaghetti Sauce; mixed in, would have put it over the top.
    Lou

• bbstx
    14 years ago

Sun-dried Tomato and Spinach Frittata
    from Epicurious.com

Vegetable oil cooking spray
    2 teaspoon olive oil
    1 small shallot, chopped
    1 cup packed fresh spinach, chopped
    4 whole eggs
    4 egg whites
    8 sun-dried tomato halves, chopped
    1/2 cup grated Asiago
    2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Heat oven to 425°. Coat 4 small baking dishes with cooking spray. Set aside. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook shallot until soft but not brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add spinach; cook 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
    Lightly whisk eggs and egg whites in a bowl. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes, cheese, basil, spinach mixture, salt and pepper. Spoon into baking dishes; bake until firm in the center, 12 to 14 minutes.

Notes and changes: We are trying to eat more healthily. I substituted Egg Beaters for the whole eggs. I didn't have Asiago cheese, so I used Parmesan. I substituted dried basil for fresh.

This dish was great for lunch with a salad.

• dirtgirl07
    14 years ago

Tonight I tried the Beef and Bean enchiladas from the Love of Cooking and they were excellent. I did not put in the Anaheim or jalapeno peppers because I'm not into too hot, and I used flour tortillas instead of corn. They still have a great flavor and a little spice (enough for me). Didn't have any beans either.. I used an envelope packet of El Rio's Enchillada Sauce.

I'll be trying to do up individual portions for freezing.

· 1 tsp olive oil
    · 1 small red onion, diced
    · 1 Anaheim chile, diced
    · 1 jalapeno, diced
    · 1 lb of lean ground beef (I used 93/7)
    · 1 tsp paprika
    · 1 tsp onion powder
    · 1 tsp cumin
    · 1 tsp garlic powder
    · 1 tsp oregano
    · 1/2 tsp chili powder
    · 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot add the diced onion, chile, and jalapeno. Sauté for 3-4 minutes; add the ground beef and all the seasonings. Cook until beef is done making sure to break it up into crumbles.

Other ingredients:
    · Corn tortillas
    · 1 can of chili beans
    · 1 - 2 jars of enchilada sauce (depending on how saucy you like your enchiladas)
    · Cheddar cheese, shredded
    · Sour cream
    · Green onions, diced

Place the tortillas in some wet paper towels and microwave for 60-90 seconds or until soft and pliable. Coat a large baking dish with cooking spray then pour some enchilada sauce on the bottom of the pan, making sure to coat evenly.
    Place a spoonful of undrained beans (the sauce is tasty) on the tortilla followed by a large spoonful of the beef mixture. Roll and place seam side down on the baking sheet. Continue until baking dish is full. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over each enchilada then top with shredded cheddar cheese.

Cover the baking dish with tin foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the tin foil and continue to bake for 5 additional minutes.

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

I made Snickerdoodle Bars today. I was looking for something easy and something the guys would like.

I used a scant cup of brown sugar(non pressed) and 2/3 c white for the 2 cups of brown..I think they came out sweet enough. And I only dusted with about 1/2 the topping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snickerdoodle Bars

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 years ago

I've never had brussel sprouts in my life. Never. My mother (a great cook) didn't make them because her mother never made them. I don't know if brussel sprouts are my "new thing" or the recipe is good. But I will say, if you've never tried brussel sprouts, this recipe might be something for you. I liked it loads, that is, I didn't just tolerate them. I only used 1 lb, and I thought I'd add another piece of bacon, so maybe 4 pieces of bacon with 1 1/2 lbs. But that could just be me. It's from Epicurious.

:)

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Thyme
    Gourmet : October 2001
    Active time: 20 min Start to finish: 20 min
    Yield: Makes 4 servings

1 1/2 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (quartered if large)
    2 bacon slices, finely chopped
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Cook Brussels sprouts in a 4-quart pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 6 minutes, then drain in a colander. Cook bacon in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat, stirring, until browned and crisp, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to moderate and stir in Brussels sprouts, thyme, salt, and pepper, then cook, stirring, 3 minutes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Epicurious

• wizardnm
    14 years ago

Rob, we eat Brussels sprouts often and I've made them that way. So very good!

Nancy

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Man I haven't had poke in ages. Great tip about asking for the scraps instead of the fillets! (Corn chips? Never thought of that!)

I had cream cheese and cocoa powder to use up, and Terri answered my plea for a brownie recipe using those. Turns out I had only one brick of cream cheese instead of the two I thought I had, but I think it worked out ok anyway. it's certainly the prettiest brownies I've made in a while. (Do cream cheese brownies freeze? Or does the texture go weird?)

Changes I made (mostly to use up odds and ends)
    -- cut sugar in the chocoate part by 1/3 cup
    -- doubled vanilla (which emptied that bottle)
    -- Added additional 1/3 cup nuts (because otherwise I would have had just enough nuts left in that bag to be annoying.
    -- added 1 tsp dark cherry extract to cream cheese layer (to get rid of THAT bottle).
    -- Increased the temp by 20 degrees for the altitude.

Will definitely make again. I think next time maybe no nuts, though. I love walnuts, but in this case it is guilding the lily.

Terri's Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies
    adapted from a bunch of recipes

1/2 c melted or very soft butter
    1.5 c sugar
    1 t vanilla
    1.25 c flour
    2/3 c cocoa
    1 t baking powder
    1 t salt
    4 eggs
    1/2 c chopped nuts and/or chocolate chips (optional)

Cream Cheese Swirl

16oz cream cheese, softened
    1/3 c sugar
    1 egg
    1 t vanilla

In a large mixing bowl, add melted or VERY softened butter. Stir in the sugar and vanilla. Add in one pile on top, flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder; then crack all 4 eggs. Mix all together well with a wooden spoon. Don't beat!

Grease a 9x13 pan with a bit of butter, and spread all but about 1/2 c of batter in the pan.

In the mixer bowl(electric mixer needed) add in the softened cream cheese, and beat until smooth. Add in vanilla and egg. Beat again until smooth.

Spread the cream cheese topping over the brownie batter, but not all the way to the edges. Drop on the remainder of the brownie batter, and cut through the batters with a knife making a swirl pattern.

Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes. Don't over bake!

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Made a recipe for Cabbage Rolls from the English Kitchen blog for dinner last night. I didn't have any bacon, but that was the only deviation from the recipe that happened. The cabbage that was available is probably not the pointed head spring cabbage that Marie used, but it was good and fresh. I even used the outermost leaves after they were washed and trimmed.

This blog regularly has some really good British recipes, especially for baked goods.

Cabbage Rolls
    Makes 12

This is our favourite cabbage roll recipe. Delicious, moist and meaty with a fabulous sweet and sour sauce. These always go down a real treat. I often double and triple the recipe when I take them to pot luck suppers. I always bring home an empty dish.

1 pound extra lean minced beef
    1/4 cup raw long grain rice
    1 large egg, beaten
    1 medium onion, peeled and grated
    1 carrot, peeled and grated
    1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 pound smoked streaky bacon, minced
    12 wilted cabbage leaves, thick veins trimmed to thin

For the sauce:
    80g soft light brown sugar, (1/2 cup packed)
    2 ounces fresh lemon juice
    8 ounces passata (tomato sauce)

Place the meat into a bowl and mix together with the rice, egg, onion, carrot, garlic, salt, pepper and bacon. Mix well. Shape into 12 equal sized ovals. Place each oval at the wide end of a wilted cabbage leaf. Roll up, tucking in the sides to completely encase the meat. Place, folded side down, into a greased baking dish. Mix together the brown sugar, lemon juice and tomato sauce. Pour this sauce over the rolls. Cover tightly with a lid. Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F. Place the casserole into the heated oven and bake for 1 hour. Uncover at the end of that time and bake for 20 minutes longer. Serve hot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog: The English Kitchen

• caliloo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Made this for our first block party last Fri and everyone really loved it. I thoguht the sauce had too many bits and pieces (I've made much simpler peanut sauce recipes) but in the long run it was definitely worth it. It had a different sort of flavor that was really wonderful. Also, the lemon chicken was fantastic with it. I've usually made a curry based marinade so this was a definite change that was nice. And yes, I actually made it AS WRITTEN!

Grilled Lemon Chicken Skewers with Satay Dip from Ina Garten

Ingredients
    3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 lemons)
    3/4 cup good olive oil
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, halved and skin removed
    Satay Dip, recipe follows
    Directions
    Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme. Pour over the chicken breasts in a nonreactive bowl. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight.
    Heat a charcoal grill. Grill the chicken breasts for 10 minutes on each side, until just cooked through. Cool slightly and cut diagonally in 1/2-inch-thick slices. Skewer with wooden sticks and serve with Satay Dip.
    Satay Dip:
    1 tablespoon good olive oil
    1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
    2/3 cup small-diced red onion (1 small onion)
    1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves)
    1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    2 tablespoons good red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
    1/4 cup ketchup
    2 tablespoons dry sherry
    1 1/2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
    Cook the olive oil, sesame oil, red onion, garlic, ginger root, and red pepper flakes in a small, heavy-bottomed pot on medium heat until the onion is transparent, 10 to 15 minutes. Whisk in the vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, peanut butter, ketchup, sherry, and lime juice; cook for 1 more minute. Cool and use as a dip for Grilled Lemon Chicken skewers.
    Yield: 1 1/2 cups

• fearlessem
    14 years ago

Last night I made a recipe that's been in my to-try file for ages called Very Spicy Caramel Pears. The recipe roasts bosc pears with brown sugar, butter, rum, and a blend of cinnamon sticks, cloves, and star anise. When the pears are cooked through, you add a little cream and make the remaining juices into a caramel sauce to pour over. VERY good with vanilla ice cream... Even my pear-indifferent husband liked these a lot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Very Spicy Caramel Pears

• andyman
    14 years ago

Took advantage of the warm weather and sat on the deck eating ceviche:

Ingredients:
    6 oz red snapper (can also use yellow tail/hamachi), sliced thinly
    1 hass avocado
    1 small shallot, sliced thinly
    ½ red pepper, julienned
    ½ yellow pepper, julienned
    1 jalapeno pepper, julienned (without ribs and seeds)
    ½ cucumber, julienned (without seeds)
    1 tbl cilantro, chopped finely
    1 cup fresh orange juice
    4 limes, juiced
    2 tbl extra virgin olive oil
    1 tsp sriracha sauce
    Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:
    Place all ingredients except avocado and olive oil into covered non-reactive container such that all ingredients are submerged.
    Refrigerate for an hour or so to allow the fish to cook in its acidic bath.
    Serve in martini glasses, placing a few avocado slices on top and drizzle with a little good olive oil and some sea salt.

Enjoy,
    Andy

• tropicals9b
    14 years ago

I made this last night:
    without the cilantro as I didn't have any
    doubled the rub so it would crust
    marinated for about 5 hours
    used Smuckers low sugar apricot preserves
    in the oven at 350 for 1 hour
    glazed every 10 minutes for the last 30 minutes
    I have about a cup of glaze left over

It was delish!

Chili Rubbed Pork Tenderloin With Apricot Ginger Glaze

2 (1 pound) pork tenderloins, trimmed

Spice Rub:
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1/2 tablespoon sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Glaze:
    1 1/2 cups apricot preserves
    1/2 cup barbecue sauce
    1 teaspoon grated ginger
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
    1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
    1 lime, juiced
    Directions
    1. Place chili powder, garlic powder, sugar, salt and pepper in a jar; shake to blend. Rub spice mixture onto pork tenderloins. Cover tenderloins and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
    2. Prior to grilling, melt apricot preserves in saucepan over medium heat. Remove pan from the heat and stir in remaining glaze ingredients. Place half of the glaze in a serving bowl and hold for service.
    3. Prepare grill at medium-high heat. Grill pork tenderloins for 15-20 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the pork reaches 160 degrees F. on an instant-read thermometer.
    4. When approximately 4 minutes of cook time remains, brush the pork tenderloins with the apricot glaze remaining in the pan. Cook for 2 minutes, turn the pork tenderloins and brush glaze on other side. Cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove pork from the grill and let set for about 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved glaze.

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

Bean, I'm glad you liked them. And happy to hear you cut even more sugar out..the Original recipe called for 2 cups!! And I reduce to the 1.5 with no taste or texture deviations..I will drop it down even further next time.

I've made them with the addition of Frangelico in both batters too....MMmmmmm

I've made these cookies twice in 2 weeks.

Hubby asked for Cream cheese sugar cookies and I tripped across these on a blog. I made the dough into logs, chilled and sliced.

He LOVES them!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Philadelphia sugar cookie cutouts

• jojoco
    14 years ago

Nothing too earth shattering here, but a great frosting that reminds me of Pepperidge Farm chocolate layer cake frosting. A few changes: I used 3/4 cup butter and one cup shortening. I used 3 cups confectioners sugar and one cup cocoa powder. This recipe is from Allrecipes.com

Buttercream icing

Ingredients
    1/2 cup shortening
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    4 cups confectioners' sugar
    2 tablespoons milk

Directions
    1.In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and vanilla. Blend in the sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the milk, and continue mixing until light and fluffy. Keep icing covered until ready to decorate.

• happyintexas
    14 years ago

I mixed up a batch of Waffles of Insane Greatness for brunch today. Oh MY, those are wonderful! Crispy, light, and tasty. Hanging around this forum makes me a hero in the kitchen.

I've been craving French Onion Soup for a while, but I've never made it. I started with Ina Garten's recipe with a strong right turn to the Alton Brown version. In the end, I made a couple of changes, too, so it's definitely a me version--rather mixed up, but with lots of flavor. lol

Here's what I ended up with...Dh, ds, and I loved it.

French Onion Soup
    5 large sweet onions. Use a combo of yellow and red for extra flavor
    2 TBLS olive oil
    1 tsp salt
    1 ½ cups white wine
    ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
    1 cup apple cider (hard is what I used)
    A splash of brandy or cognac
    8 cups beef stock
    2 beef bullion cubes
    1 chicken bullion cube (or 1 cup chicken stock)
    Bouquet garni (thyme, bay leaf, and parsley tied with kitchen string)
    Pepper

1 country loaf bread, sliced thick (1/2-3/4 inch thick)
    1 cup or more shredded Gruyere cheese

Trim ends off onions and slice in half from end to top. Slice onion into half moons about ¼ inch thick.
    In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat olive oil to low medium. Add a layer of onions and sprinkle with salt. Continue to layer until all the onions are in the pan. Cover and allow onions to sweat for 15- 20 minutes. Do not stir during this time.
    After that, remove cover and stir occasionally until onions are have caramelized and are a rich mahogany color. (This should take 45 60 minutes on a meduim low temp.)

Add enough wine to cover onions and turn heat to high. Add balsamic. Reduce the liquid to a syrupy consistency.
    Add beef stock, bullion cubes, apple cider and bouquet garni. Reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes.
    To serve:
    Toast bread slices under a broiler until golden.
    Season soup mixture with salt, pepper, and cognac. Remove bouquet garni and ladle soup into oven proof bowls. Place bread round, toasted side down, on top of soup. Top with grated cheese. Broil until cheese is bubbly and golden.
    Alternately, if you do not have oven safe bowls (like me), toast bread on one side as directed. Flip and top each slice with grated cheese. Toast under a broiler until cheese is bubbly. Cut into large crouton hunks. Top each bowl of soup with enough hunks to cover the surface.
    The soup is even better the next day.

• pat_t
    14 years ago

I found this recipe on the back of a bag of White Lily flour recently. Went to their website and found it online so I could just copy & paste it into my files. My cake looks EXACTLY like the one in their picture.

(This is the same glaze recipe I used on ice cream in the ice cream toppings thread).

FRESH APPLE CAKE WITH BUTTER PECAN GLAZE

3 cups all-purpose flour
    2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
    1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
    3 large eggs, lightly beaten
    4 cups grated apples, about 4 large
    1 cup chopped pecans
    2 tsp. vanilla extract

BUTTER PECAN GLAZE:
    1/4 cup butter
    1/2 cup pecan halves
    3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    1/4 cup corn syrup
    1/8 tsp. orange extract (optional) (use rum extract instead)
    Heat oven to 350° F. Coat 10-inch fluted tube pan with flour no-stick cooking spray.
    Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
    Beat brown sugar, oil and eggs in large bowl. Gradually add flour mixture. Stir in apples, pecans and vanilla. Pour batter into prepared pan, no more than 3/4 full. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes on wire rack before removing from pan. Finish cooling on wire rack. Drizzle with Butter Pecan Glaze.

BUTTER PECAN GLAZE
    Melt butter in small saucepan; add pecans. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until nuts are toasted, about 1 minute. Mix in brown sugar, cream and corn syrup. Bring to a rolling boil; cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; blend in orange extract, if desired. Cool glaze until thickened. Drizzle over Fresh Apple Cake. Extra glaze may be spooned over individual slices, if desired.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe from White Lily Flour.

• jojoco
    14 years ago

I made a mistake in my ingredients on the amount of shortening I used. Here is the corrected one.
    Nothing too earth shattering here, but a great frosting that reminds me of Pepperidge Farm chocolate layer cake frosting. A few changes: I used 3/4 cup butter and one quarter cup shortening. I used 3 cups confectioners sugar and one cup cocoa powder. This recipe is from Allrecipes.com
    Buttercream icing

Ingredients
    1/2 cup shortening
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    4 cups confectioners' sugar
    2 tablespoons milk

Directions
    1.In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and vanilla. Blend in the sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the milk, and continue mixing until light and fluffy. Keep icing covered until ready to decorate.

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

I have two new recipes going on in my kitchen right now.

One is for potatoes and the other is a lemon bar..made with Meyers.

If I deam the results good, I'll share.

• andyman
    14 years ago

Sorry my ceviche picture got clobbered on flickr (damn you iPhoto).

Anyhoo, here it is again in all its glory :)

--Andy

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

Oh yum Andy! looks fab.....does anyone say fab anymore?

I hosted an unexpected cottage Happy Hour last Friday and had to make do with what I had on hand. My cottage neighbour was shocked that I had everything at the the cottage required for this recipe. I mean really shocked, she could not stop talking about it all night and declared my kitchen the "go to" kitchen when you needed something! LOL

These are really , really good!

Asian Style Back Ribs - recipe courtesy of Taste of Home.

1 1/2 pork baby back ribs ( I cut in half, lentghwise, to make appy size)
    4 1/2 tsp molasses
    1 Tbsp garlic salt (I used garlic powder)
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Glaze/Dipping Sauce

1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
    3 TBSP pineapple juice
    2 TBSP rice vinegar
    2 TBSP Hoisin sauce
    2 TBSP ketchup
    1 tsp lemon juice
    1 tsp whole grain mustard
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp fresh grated ginger root (I used 2tsp maybe a bit more)
    1/2 tsp grated garlic (again I used 2 tsp)
    chopped green onions.

Pat ribs dry ( I always remove the silver skin on the back) . Combine the molasses, garlic powder, onion powder and Worcestershire sauce and brush on ribs.

Place ribs on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Cover and bake at 300 for 1 hour or until tender.
    (I lined the pan with parchment paper and sprayed with Pam for easy clean up....you will want to do that!) I also didn't cover the ribs...to be honest missed that part of the recipe until now! LOL

Combine the rest of the ingredients, except green onions, in a small sauce pan and simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stirring occasionally.

Brush a grill with cooking spray , brush the ribs all over with the glaze and grill for 8-12 minutes until browned. Turn frequently and brush with additional glaze. ( I just brushed on the glaze and stuck back in the oven for 10 minutes or so.)

Serve ribs with remaining glaze for dipping. Garnish with green onions ( One ingredient I didn't have so no green onions!)

This really was a great appy but would also be a great main. I'll be making it again real soon!

PS: I did add some additional rice wine vinegar to the left over glaze that I used as a dipping sauce. More for consistency than anything but the extra tang was good

• caliloo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How did you cut the ribs lengthwise? A huge cleaver or something?

Alex

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

LOL!

I cut them in individual ribs then Clive used one of my old chef's knives and a hit it with a meat mallet! Done

• caliloo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL! I had visions of Clive taking them out the the woodshop and running then through a band saw..... I like your solution though, I think I could handle that!

Alexa

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Oh, Andy, darn it, I still don't see a picture! And it sounds like it would be very pretty. Try again?

Terri- remember I had only one block of cream cheese, so with two, it might need the amount of sugar you specify in your version.

In my never-ending quest to try to love cauliflower -- a vegetable that I am apathetic about exept with Indian spices -- I made Cauliflower Couscous with Lemon Basil sauce. The only changes I made to the recipe was to halve the "couscous" part of it. I made the full amount of the sauce which will get used on other things.

It was...ok. Love the sauce. Love the idea. In the end, however, it was still cauliflower. I just couldn't get excited about it. It did taste better the next day, but in all honesty I'd probably only make it again if I was having a crowd over or needed something for a guest on a gluten-free diet. (And that happens....um...never.)

Maybe some of you will like it better. I'll include the link so you can see the lovely photo of it.

Cauliflower "Couscous" with Basil-Lemon Sauce
    Serves 8
    Ingredients
    For the basil-lemon sauce
    10 large (about 1 cup loosely packed) fresh basil leaves
    Zest and juice of 2 lemons, preferably Meyer
    1/2 cup fruity extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon maple syrup

For the couscous
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium red onion, finely diced
    1 medium head cauliflower, stalks and stems discarded, florets finely diced
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup Basil-Lemon Sauce
    2 tablespoons fresh basil chiffonade

Method
    Make the sauce
    1. Combine the basil, lemon zest and juice, oil, and maple syrup in a blender. Purée and transfer to a jar with a tight-fitting lid. The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for about 7 to 10 days.

Make the couscous
    1. Melt the butter with the olive oil in a chefs pan or wok large enough to hold all the cauliflower over high heat. Add the onion and saute until the onion softens, about 2 minutes.

2. Add the cauliflower, stir thoroughly, salt and pepper liberally, and cook until the cauliflower softens, about 10 minutes.

3. Add 2 tablespoons of the sauce and cook until tender and fragrant, another 10 minutes. Adjust the salt, add the remaining 2 tablespoons sauce, mix thoroughly, and transfer to a serving bowl. Top with the basil chiffonade.

Source: Eric Gower : The Breakaway Cook. Repreinted on LeitesCulinaria.com

Here is a link that might be useful: recipe source

• andyman
    14 years ago

beanthere,
    Not sure why the ceviche isn't showing up for you, I see it here -- its possible that flickr isn't making its way to you (firewall or permission or something).

If after all this trouble, you'd like to see the pic (it was really really tasty -- even though TasteSpotting rejected the pic), prolly the easiest way I can think of to see it would be via my blog (link below)...

Here is a link that might be useful: That Jew Can Cook (my blog)

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Andy, it's just a bg blue-lined square with the Flickr logo and in the center says "This photo is currently unavailble" in microscopic font in the center. Weird.

But, hey! It worked out well because I enjoyed looking at your blog. :) Very nice! I like the presentation. Next time DH is home, I'm going to talk him into going to to the fish market in Reno (the only place within hours to get fresh fish) and make it. I love ceviche and have missed access to it.

• paprikash
    14 years ago

I had leftover corned beef from St. Patty's so I made this Reuben Casserole I had in my files for ages. My only change was I did not rinse the sauerkraut as DH and I like tart kraut. It was delicious - next time, I may try adding some thousand island dressing to it just because I always have to tweak recipes.

Reuben Casserole

Recipe By : Internet
    Serving Size : 4

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    6 slices rye bread
    2 tablespoons butter
    8 ounces corned beef brisket
    1 cup Swiss cheese -- shredded
    1 cup sauerkraut -- rinsed and drained
    3 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 tablespoon mustard

Spread one side of bread slices with butter, stack, and cut into cubes. Place in greased 12X8X2 dish and add meat, cheese and sauerkraut and toss together.

Whisk eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper together and pour over bread and bake at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes or until lightly brown and well set.

• andyman
    14 years ago

Chase, thanks your ribs look pretty fab too :)

Bean, glad you enjoyed the blog let me know how the ceviche comes out!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

Since I made these last night, I'll consider it a "March recipe" and let someone else start the April review. I found the best blueberries recently, and I've had a recipe for Blueberry-Coconut Pound cake Muffins forever, so it was a match made in Heaven. I used this recipe, even though I got mine off of Food Network's site. I never thought I'd say this, but it was too much of the coconuts' texture. That is, I didn't like the coconut in the muffin. And, evidently, there must be others who agree since the recipe is no longer on Food Network's site. I did like the flavor loads. I was thinking that if the muffin had everything in it that is there except the coconut, and instead had a "special coconut streussel", it'd be better. That more fits this recipe. So a bust, except that I found out how marvelous blueberries and coconut are together and that someone else has the same train of thought to keep them together in a different way. Guess I'll try again!

• gellchom
    13 years ago

I found two real winners in March. I've already made the salmon/bread salad twice!

This recipe is by Robin Davis, the food editor of The Columbus Dispatch, to feature one pot meals that aren't casseroles. She suggested adding some baby spinach leaves, and that was GREAT (pretty, too). She adapted it from one in Food & Wine magazine, so I looked that up the second time I made it. That one called for putting the dressing and parsley in during the cooking, not after, and added capers. I put capers in the second time. It's good, but not necessary.

WARM PAN-ROASTED SALMON BREAD SALAD
    Makes 4 servings

Salad:
    4 cups large bread cubes (preferably from artisan or peasant bread loaf)
    2 garlic cloves, smashed
    3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    2 pints grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
    Some baby spinach leaves and/or drained capers, optional
    Salt and pepper
    1 pound skinless salmon fillet, cut into 2-inch chunks
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1/4 cup chopped parsley

Vinaigrette:
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Salt and pepper
    To make salad: Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
    Toss bread and garlic with 2 tablespoons oil. Roast 5 minutes until bread is lightly toasted.
    In a large bowl, toss the tomatoes with 1 teaspoon oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add to bread. Roast 10 to 12 minutes, just until the tomatoes begin to break down.
    Toss the salmon with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Nestle the salmon into the bread-and-tomato mixture. Roast until the salmon is just cooked through, about 6 minutes, adding spinach and/or capers a couple of minutes before done.
    To make vinaigrette: Transfer garlic to a small bowl and mash. Whisk in vinegar, mustard and thyme in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
    Drizzle vinaigrette over salad. Add parsley. Toss to combine (or put in with tomatoes). Serve immediately.
    PER SERVING: 612 calories; 28 g protein; 30 g carbohydrates; 3 g fiber; 42 g fat (7 g saturated); 63 mg cholesterol; 340 mg sodium

Here's the other one. FABULOUS! It's from Mark Bittman in the NYT in late February. Uh oh, maybe it was still February when I made it ... We don't eat pork, so I used a TJ vegetarian chorizo. Next time I will use a kosher merguez or other spicy real sausage. But even with the fake stuff, this was dynamite.

Fried Chickpeas With Chorizo and Spinach
    1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
    2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas, as dry as possible
    Salt and black pepper
    4 ounces chorizo, diced
    1/2 pound spinach, roughly chopped
    1/4 cup sherry
    1 to 2 cups bread crumbs.
    1. Heat the broiler.
    2. Put three tablespoons of the oil in a skillet large enough to hold chickpeas in one layer over medium-high heat. When its hot, add chickpeas and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
    3. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until chickpeas begin to brown, about 10 minutes, then add chorizo. Continue cooking for another 5 to 8 minutes or until chickpeas are crisp; use a slotted spoon to remove chickpeas and chorizo from pan and set aside.
    4. Add the remainder of the 1/4 cup of oil to the pan; when its hot, add spinach and sherry, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook spinach over medium-low heat until very soft and the liquid has evaporated. Add chickpeas and chorizo back to the pan and toss quickly to combine; top with bread crumbs, drizzle with a bit more oil and run pan under the broiler to lightly brown the top. Serve hot or at room temperature.
    Yield: 4 servings.

Mmm, I can't wait to make these again.