Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I made the tortillas!

Posted by lisa_in_germany (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 3:27

I made corn tortillas last night with the masa Annie sent me! They were delicious. Thank you again, Annie for the RAK.
Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I made the tortillas!

Did you take any pics? I love fresh tortillas. I used to be able to buy masa from a local tortilla shop near my previous house. Have not found anyplace near my new place. I did once buy slaked lime and field corn to grind my own masa but chickened out as I was not sure if I would be able to get a fine enough grind..But I love fresh tortilla with some street taco type fillings.. radishes, lime, black beans, etc..

o

Wow! That's impressive. I've seen them made. Looked very labor-intensive. Rolling them out thin enough would be a serious challenge for me. Good for you!

o

Congratulations, I bet they were wonderful. I would love to see pictures too and to hear more about how you made them.

Lee

o

Oh good, I'm glad they turned out well. They sure are a lot of work, though, so you earned that!

I like fresh warm tortillas with no filling at all, just eaten like bread, although I will admit that I like the flour tortillas better than the corn ones.

Annie

o

Have never made my own. One of my times of "buyers remorse" was when I passed on a Real, heavy, cast-aluminum tortilla press... like one used by Rick Bayless on his PBS cooking show It was in a thrift store... shoulda bought it, if only to give it ONE try and then try to figure out other uses to make it a multi-tasker!?!

o

I bought what I thought was plain masa flour once, but didn't read the label well enough, and discovered it was masa tortilla mix. I used it anyway, and had fun making tortillas. Tortillas are so readily available around here I've only made them that once. I should try again. I'd prefer to not use the mix, as I suspect it might have had lard in it.

Sally

o

Way to go Lisa. What did you do with them? Eat them plain or use them in tacos or enchiladas?

Ann

o

It was a lot of work, but worth it to see the looks on my family's faces. Lol. I used a wooden cutting board to flatten them out and then ran the rolling pin over them to make them a little thinner. Grilled in a dry pan and then fried for tacos. I made 32 and put maybe ten in the freezer (not fried) after we were done eating.
I did take some pics. Just haven't uploaded them yet.

o

they are a lot of work when rolling by hand, but that was a good idea to use the cutting board to flatten them.

your kids didn't even know you COULD make tortillas from scratch, did they? (grin)

Annie

o

Wow 32 is a lot! I'm looking forward to your pictures.

Lee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here