Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seriously? It looks like this after one use?

Posted by sooz (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 1:50

I picked up a "Kitchen Essentials" (Target) Calphalon cast iron reversible grill / griddle today and used the flat side to cook some marinated boneless chicken tonight.

THIS is what it looks like after one use, and cleaning it as directed (hot water & a stiff brush, then a scrubbie). The dark part is food that won't come off, and the shiny part is where the "coating" of the pan came off.

Is this how it's supposed to look?

Since it's cast iron with some kind of nonstick finish on it, am I supposed to just let this layer of whatever stay on it for future "seasoning" of the piece?

Thanks!
Smiles,
Sooz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seriously? It looks like this after one use?

It's probably fine, but I would reseason it myself. The seasoning that pans come with doesn't seem to be too great. I would scrub it down so it doesn't seem like there's any food left on it and then follow the instructions on the attached link. Flaxseed oil isn't cheap, but it works well. I would then use it for things that aren't too tough on it for a while as the seasoning continues to build up.

Here is a link that might be useful: seasoning

o

It is also possible that you overheated the griddle and burnt off the seasoning.

This is where an IR remote read thermometer can be very useful. You can avoid burning off seasoning on cast iron cookware by reading the temperature.

dcarch

o

I second foodonastump's suggestion to go easy on it until you get a good seasoning built up. After I got the Wolf w/ a griddle installed, I didn't attempt to cook on it for several weeks during which DSII went on one of his grilled cheese sandwich binges. Result was a beautifully seasoned griddle.

Stick with using it for greasy stuff like grilled cheese sammies & paninis til the seasoning builds up. Right now, it's not ready for wet, lean & acidic stuff which will lift the little bit of seasoning right off the surface.

o

Looks like it got too hot.

o

I would have used the grill side.

Lars

o

I agree, I'd clean it up and re-season it, the "pre-seasoned" cast iron never seems to be as good as I want it to be.

Like Lars, I think I'd have used the grill side, but I don't know that it would have made a difference in the sticking.

Annie

o

Thanks everyone for your input! That link was great, FOAS!

I reheated it and then went over the surface with my little steel brush and then, not having any flaxseed oil, used Crisco to wipe on, wipe off, wipe off, wipe off, wipe off. I might pick up some flaxseed oil tomorrow and actually follow directions from the link!

The grill side will be more work, just because of it's design. Been there, done that, PITA. :O)

o

I would have marched it back to the store, Sooz.

o

I have a couple of little pieces of Calphalon. I assume it is a better than average good non stick coating; it has been for me so far. I don't understand why anyone is suggesting treating Sooz's pan like it is just a cast iron "skillet". I had never heard of seasoning calphalon. Am I missing something?

o

I had the same thing happen with one of those. The black stuff wouldn't come off, and it stained my stovetop horrendously. I ended up chucking out the pan.

o

Here's another photo after reheating, and then the wire brush scrub and Crisco.

You can clearly see the part that I scrubbed and Crisco'd (about two-thirds of the pan was my work, and the side on the far LEFT is the original), and it's a different color from the "original" state this pan was in when I first used it.

It IS cast iron, so re-seasoning it will occur once I get off all the pre-seasoning, I guess.

I think the return policy is 30 plus days, so if things don't work out, back it goes to the store.

Smiles,
Sooz

o

Chas - Calphalon makes things out of different materials. Anodized aluminum, non-stick, clad stainless, enameled cast iron, etc. This one happens to be pre-seasoned cast iron, which is why we're talking about treating it like a cast iron skillet.

o

I agree, I would just treat it like cast iron...IMHO preseasoned is a joke. I don't really find that it discolored or had that mark on it after using it once to be any sort of defect....a cast iron pan of any kind is going to get ugly looking after using it. It needs to be REALLY seasoned...not "pre-seasoned". As far as getting it "too hot", it's cast iron, it's supposed to be able to get hot!

o

Yes, I also think the so called pre-seasoned is a joke. Manufacturers pre-season cast iron cookware not for the buyers really. They have to pre-season them so that they don't get rusty in the stores. So the coating is very thin.

Cast iron can take high heat, but not that high. I normally heat mine to 550F.

dcarch

o

She just said she cooked some chicken...I highly doubt the temp was over 500 degrees...LMAO!

o

Sooz,

I have a Nordicware one that I bought a couple years ago and it did the same thing. It is so difficult to clean that I completely stopped using it and it looks awful.... so, no advice, but you aren't alone!

By the way, what did you ever do about a crock pot?

o

Hey, Bobby! Nice to see you again!

I decided to use some of those liners specifically designed for crock pots--those plastic bag-type insert things that you use once and throw away. That way, I know the food is going to stay inside and not leak out through the cracks in the crock part of the crockpot itself. So far, so good!

I'm keeping my eyes open when I got to thrift stores or go by yard sales, too, so eventually, I may actually find the correct size insert!

Smiles,
Sooz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here