SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Brother cooks too.....sort of.

annie1992
10 years ago

So as not to allow his sister to bask in the limelight alone, Bud decided that he wanted to "learn to cook something" too. His requirements were that it had to be something he liked, and he wasn't allowed to use the stove or sharp knives without responsible adult supervision. I apparently did not meet the requirement of "responsible adult", LOL.

He decided he wanted to learn to make hummus, because he likes hummus and wants to play with the food processor. Machines, he likes machines.

So, into the food processor went two cans of garbanzo beans, which he dutifully opened with my hand operated Swing Away can opener. It took a little while, but we got it. After that, it was tahini. He had to taste it. He didn't like it, said it made his mouth puckery. (grin) Some olive oil, and I showed him how to smash the garlic with the side of a knife. A sharp knife. He wasn't sure about me, and then said that it hurt his hand to hit it that hard. I'd better do it. Yeah, OK, so I did that.

I then asked him if he'd like to add any extras. We thought about black olives, about roasted red peppers, even about dill pickles. Well, HE though about dill pickles. Eventually we settled on avocado, and I showed him how to cut it in half, twist the halves and smack the pit with a knife. A sharp knife. Again. He made me do that too. A squeeze of lemon, now THAT was fun, and it's time to turn the machine on.

Watch it go around and around. It needs more oil, and it needs some of the liquid from the cans of beans. We need to make the "smoothest hummus in the history of people". In other words, let me play with the food processor a bit longer.

Finally, the smoothest hummus in the history of people was done:

Since it's his cooking project, Bud gets the first taste:

The hummus was pronounced "excellent" and was promptly taken home for family consumption, no matter that Grandma supplied all the ingredients and equipment. He's a Master Chef now, and can make really smooth hummus.

Who knows what's next.....

Annie

Comments (11)