SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momj47

Monday is National Sticky Bun Day

momj47
13 years ago

So lets get out those recipes and start baking.

There's a lot of great recipes from CF friends, so please post your favorite.

Comments (17)

• lindac
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

2C Scalded Milk, cooled to warm temperature
    3T Shortening or Butter, Melted
    1/2 C Sugar
    1 t salt
    2 eggs, beaten
    2 pkgs yeast (or 1T bulk yeast)
    1/3 warm water
    4-5 cups flour

Dissolve the yeast in the warm water (about 105 degrees) with a teaspoon of the sugar, wait until it foams. While waiting for the yeast to foam, mix the milk, butter, remaining sugar and salt. After the yeast foams, add the yeast mixture to it, and the two beaten eggs to the mixture. Either by hand or in a stand mixer, blend in flour a cup at a time until the dough is soft and fairly sticky. Turn onto a floured board and knead just until the dough is no longer sticky, but is smooth and satiny.

Let rise until doubled, punch down, knead a little, then shape into rolls. Bake at 350 until golden. May brush with egg wash or butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Also good rolled in butter and cinnamon sugar. Dough is a good base dough for a variety of sweet breads like cinnamon rolls or brioche.

For sticky buns:
    Have about 1/2 a pound of soft butter handy before you begin
    For sticky buns, let the dough rest about 20 minutes, divide into 3 pieces and roll or pat out 1/3 into a rectangle abut 1/3 of an inch thick...spread thickly with soft butter, and sprinkle generously with brown sugar and cinnamon...some add pecans here and raisins but my family prefers them without.
    Roll up the dough starting with the long side and seal the edges.
    Take one of the pans and spread thickly with butter (do you sense a trend here??), cover with brown sugar and drizzle with honey in a zig zag pattern using about 1 1/2 tablespoons. You can use syrup if you choose...the object is to keep the bottom of the buns sticky after baking.
    Slice the roll into 1 1/4 inch thick slices, place cut side down in prepared pans, cover with plastic or waxed paper and allow to rise until double and bake 375 for about 20 to 25 minutes until nicely browned.
    allow to cool about 5 minutes and turn upside down onto a serving plate.
    Linda C

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Momj47:
    My favorite Day. I am assuming Sticky Buns are Cinnamon Bunns ( East Coast )

Here is my Cinnamon Bun Recipe.

Lou�s Cinnamon Buns ------

SS Pan ,9 one half in. by 12 in. by 2 & one half in. deep Or Pyrex baking dish.

Ingredients for the SS Pan.

Three Quarters stick of butter and 1 tablesp. Of Vegetable oil
    Pancake syrup,( I use Karo Pancake Syrup ) Brown Sugar and a little granulated sugar.
    Cinnamon and Raisins .

Melt the butter in the pan and let it cool ( put it in the refrig. a few minutes)
    Level it across the pan and back into the refrig to harden.

Take it out and Sprinkle very little oil and move it around with the back of a spoon.
    Dribble some pancake syrup all around the pan , then a little granulated Sugar.
    Then lay in some brown sugar. Don�t be chincey , leave some lumps.
    Last sprinkle ( good bit ) of Cinnamon and Raisins. You can also add some walnuts,
    If you want to. If you do not want to , do not do it but do not blame me , if you did not Do and
    wish you had done , etc.

Take half + of the recipe of the Braided Bread dough and roll it out to about
    3/16 in. thick ( 3 pennies high ) You can do the dough in 2 pieces if it is easier.
    Try to roll them out to at least 16 in. long. x 12 in. Sprinkle some pancake syrup,
    Sugar and cinnamon on the dough , then some raisins.
    Roll the dough up loosely,
    Making a 12 in. long Roll and cut into 1 in. pieces.
    Mark the roll , at half way and half again before cutting, into 8 pieces.
    Do the same to the other piece of dough
    Place these pieces in the pan that you prepared ,
    leaving spaces in between , because the dough will grow.
    Push them around with your fingers, to fill the pan evenly.
    When the dough is doubled , bake in a 320 degree oven , on a shelf, near the top, for about 25 to 35 minutes or golden brown.
    You can Baste , with an egg milk mix, while baking.
    When it is removed from the oven , place a piece of aluminum foil over it and
    a large cutting board or cookie tin and then flip it over and remove the pan.
    If some of the goodies stay in the pan take them out right away and patch
    the Buns while the goo is still hot.

WARNING !!!! Get away from them until they cool. !!!!!!!!

You will burn your lips
    Now you can see if you used enough brown sugar and gooey stuff.

Here is a Tut, with Apples.

All the gooie stuff in the pan w. the Apples.

Placing the rolled up and cut prepared dough into the SS pan.

Cinnamon Buns with Apples, baked and removed from the pan.

Plain with Raisens.

With Walnuts.

Really Gooie !!! With white and dark Raisens + Cashews.

Lou-s - - - Braided, Plaited Bread or Dough for Cinnamon Buns , Bagels, Etc.

2 cups of milk, (warm ) 1 & one third cup of Sugar
    3 large eggs- beaten (save one half egg w. a little milk for basting )
    1 tablesp.+ of Vanilla - -
    1/2 cup + of oil - -
    1/2 teasp. Salt
    2 packs of Fleischmans Active dry yeast
    AP Flour - 3 cups to start ( probably about 6 total ),
    enough to knead into a soft ball that doesn’t stick to your hands.
    I now substitute a cup of WW Flour.
    Stir the yeast in a 1/3 cup of warm water w. 1/2 spoon of sugar, to test it for raising.

In a large mixing bowl, or (KA mixer) place the warm milk ( not hot )
    add the sugar ,vanilla , salt & eggs
    Beat until the sugar is dissolved and add the Yeast and mix well.
    Add 1 cup of WW flour and 3 cups of AP flour and mix with mixer a few minutes.
    Add flour until you make a “ soft “ Ball of dough that doesn’t stick to your hands.
    Don’t make it too stiff , try to keep it a "soft dough."
    On the Work Top, Sprinkle some flour under the ball and Knead it until smooth.
    Place it in a large bowl, Rub some oil on top.

Cover with a damp towel and place in a warm spot ( until double.) I usually turn my oven on for a few minutes to warm and shut it.
    Place a pan of hot water on the bottom shelf.

Then place the dough bowl in the oven to rise.
    When ( doubled ) deflate and put it out of the bowl onto a floured worktop.

Use it for Cinnamon Bunns Bagles, Dinner rolls etc.

It has a subtle ,hardly noticeable sweetness.

Have a good one ,
    LOU

• Related Discussions

National Sticky Bun Day.......

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks for the heads up Mom........but think i'll keep it our little secret and not tell DH . Otherwise I'll have to make them for sure and it's suppose to be in the low 80's!
    ...See More

National Cinnamon Bun/Sticky Bun Day

Q

Comments (3)
    Shhh!!! Don't tell! I have 2 pans of those rolls in the freezer, wrapped in foil, ready to be warmed until the sticky becomes melted and turned out onto a plate! Like gold in the bank!! Don't tell because I could be mugged for those rolls! Linda cC
    ...See More

National Sticky Bun Day

Q

Comments (73)
    I tried posting this yesterday and got some kind of maintenance page, so I know this is late. AM, King Arthur Flour sells the cinnamon chips (see link below). I'm sure other online sellers do also, but that's where I usually get them. I've never seen them in stores. That doesn't mean they aren't available, but the selection of baking items is pretty skimpy in my neighborhood. Annie, we have 3 sugar maples along the front road, and if I were to guess, those are probably the only sugar maples for a 100 miles. My DH found them root-bound and neglected in an overgrown "no-man's-land" at the back of an old nursery owned by an elderly gentleman. I doubt tapping those would yield more than a teaspoon. Not to mention we've had almost no cold weather this winter. The crocuses are up and the ornamental cherries and plums are blooming. Hardly ideal for maple-sugaring. Thank goodness for Trader Joe's and the lovely (and well-priced) Grade B maple syrup they offer from our Canadian neighbors. Costco's I haven't tried. Since there are no children in the house, even with baking maple syrup lasts a long time here. Definitely OT, but I'm remembering the homemade pancake syrup we made when I was a child. I think it was some mixture of brown sugar, white sugar, water and Watkins maple flavoring. Karo has its uses, as Annie mentioned, especially for candy-making. I use a small amount in maraschino cherries to prevent the syrup from crystallizing and the same in some fudge recipes. Carol
    ...See More

anyone else making Hot Cross Buns?

Q

Comments (26)
    No, no saving, I did try adding yeast at the end - no luck. I've been having the worst time in the kitchen lately, I must be too distracted lately or something. I made some more this morning and though "perfect" what wasn't perfect - my oven temp, I had it 25 degrees too hot. I thought I remembered the temp from last time I made them until I pulled them out the oven, one pan burned and the other just overcooked. Sigh.
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    13 years ago

OK, it's here, THE day. I didn't make sticky buns, because I like just plain cinnamon rolls without the sticky stuff, but I made Nutella filled bread on Saturday night, and rolled it up like cinnamon rolls, does that count?

So, did anyone make sticky buns today?

Annie

• jojoco
    13 years ago

Doing my patriotic bit for this holiday:

Thanks LindaC for a great recipe. Very forgiving and versatile

• lindac
    13 years ago

I feel guilty....I ate bread pudding for breakfast, leftover from last night, and made with some frozen leftover dinner rolls made from the leftover dough that didn't get made into sticky buns ( only one "n") on Christmas Eve...Does that count?
    No it doesn't....not sticky....lacking brown sugar and lots of butter!! But it was good anyhow!!

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Momj47:
    I tried ????? Sorry !!!
    LOU

• cotehele
    13 years ago

Thanks for the excuse to make sticky buns tonight. I am embarrassed to say how many we ate. It was supper, lol.

• lakeguy35
    13 years ago

Love, love sticky buns...no raisins for me though. : ) Extra sticky stuff is all good though.... a few nuts are fine too. Wish I had some in the freezer to celebrate the day. DGM always had some in her freezer when we visited back in the day.

Lou, why are you sorry??? What did you try??? I'm lost, once again, with that post.

David

• annie1992
    13 years ago

David, I'm lost so much with some of the posts that I'm beginning to like it! (grin)

Annie

• hawk307
    13 years ago

David :
    I thought I could get someone baking Cinnamon Bunns, with Photo-s and a Tut but ???
    Guess they are all set on Cinnamon Rolls.

I buy Entenmanns Cinnamon Rolls when I am in the mood and don-t feel like baking.
    Otherwise I prefer Cinnamon or Sticky Bunns.

Guess it's all according to what you were brought up with.

In the Phila. area I don't know anyone who does not like
    the finger lickin, Gooey Sticky mess.
    Lou

• jojoco
    13 years ago

I made LindaC's cinnamon buns/rolls last week and while I was happy with the end results, I messed up a bit and knew I could do better. Basically, last week I made the dough in my KA which I do not recommend as it tends to over mix the dough, bringing out the stickiness and making one think it needs more flour. This time I mixed it with a wooden spoon to start, and then kneaded it on my counter top adding flour as necessary. After I made the dough, I remembered Lou's plea for photos and a tutorial. So here it is, unfortunately minus the mixing of the dough. But the recipe I used was very easy for the dough. Basically proof the yeast and start dumping in the other ingredients. I used LindaC's recipe as a base and added 1 and 1/4 cups brown sugar mixed with a generous tbs of cinnamon for the filling. I spread about 1/3 cup soft butter before I put down the brown sugar mix. The icing is a combo of almost equal parts cream cheese, butter and a cup or more of powdered sugar and a splash of vanilla.

Next a rise of about 1.5 hours:

Punched down:

Rolled out like buttah:

Spread with softened butter:

Add brown sugar mixed with cinnamon:

Start rolling up on the long side:

finished roll:

Sliced, in a greased pan, then let rise 30 min:

Out of the oven:

Iced:

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Jojoco;
    Your Buns look great. Good job. You are hired.

You can use the KA mixer and dump the dough out onto a floured worktop,while it is still sticky.
    Finish kneading it by hand and adding flour to make a Soft Dough.
    Lou

PS:
    Does anyone here make Sticky Buns ?????

• lindac
    13 years ago

Damn....company for dinner and I am making Angel biscuits....and summer torte...pork loin has been rubbed and will go on the grill...chunks of Marina del Chioggia squash, which was the impetus for the whole meal, will be roasted with maple syrup and some ginger...mushroom risotto...
    but alas no cinnamon buns. However there is a pan in the freezer I may have to drag out for breakfast tomorrow....they don't improve with age in the freezer...
    Now back to work.
    Jo those cinnamon buns look damn near perfect....different from mine in that I put the rolls just "kissing" in the pan. They don't spread as much and stay softer.
    Linda C

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Lindac or others, can you help with Lindac's recipe?

I put in 4 cups of flour mixed in a mixer. Turned out onto floured surface. It was very sticky. How can you kneed when it is so stuck to your hands? Keep adding flour? Seemed like a lot of flour.

I wanted the sticky bun recipe but without the sticky bottom. I call these cinnamon rolls. At what point do the instructions for sticky buns start? I let rest for 20 min, cut into thirds. Rolled out (very sticky) put on the butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, Hard to cut into rolls. Falling apart. Not very big. I ended up with 3 batches of about 6 rolls. One is in my refrigerator to bake in the morning. The other two will be frozen.

Did I make a mistake somewhere? Will these turn out OK? Did the dough need to rise more? Confused.

I was hoping for a simple cinnamon roll recipe but they all seem so complicated. This one seemed the easiest but I feel something is amiss.

• beachlily z9a
    10 years ago

Deb, you can wet your hands a bit and the dough won't stick. Oil works too, as does flour. If you have a dough scraper, you can use that to scrape under the dough and fold it over a couple of times, then use your hands. The falling apart can be improved by lightly brushing the dough with milk before you add your butter and cinnamon. It's not hard, but it takes practice. I can do it with closed eyes, but I've been making these things forever. Stay with it. It helps to cut the dough with a serrated knife or dental floss.

You might look at the Joy of Baking website--they have a very good cinnamon roll recipe.

They become sticky buns when you prepare the pan with the sticky stuff. Without that, they are cinnamon rolls/buns.

I'm sure your efforts will result in lovely tasting, beautiful rolls. Relax! It's Christmas!

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Thanks beachlily,
    Sticky dough has always been my nemesis no matter what I'm making. When I get sticky dough its like my brain gets sticky and I forget any tips I've heard like water or oil. I need to get a dough scrapper!!!

I'm making these because DH and I were watching my favorite show Diner Driveins and Dives recently. They were making these giant cinnamon buns. It looked easy, LOL. DH tells me he loves cinnamon buns. We have been married almost 30 years and this is the first I'm hearing of it. We very very rarely have cinnamon buns in the house. The show also showed how they took the buns and made french toast. It looked and sounded divine....

• beachlily z9a
    10 years ago

Deb, this picture is from Christmas 2009. The rolls were made with the recipe from the Joy of Baking. They are yummy!