Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lars' rye bread

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 22:46

Lars, I made your rye bread and I love it. The fennel gives it a nice extra bump of flavor, and I love fennel anyway.

I don't have a grinder I use for spices, so I just put them in the mortor and pestle and crushed them, it left pieces which lent a nice crunch to the finished loaf. I also grabbed the wrong jar and so got a tablespoon of dill seed in there in addition to the fennel and caraway. I liked it, so will probably keep that in!

I didn't soak and microwave the herbs because my bread machine has a 15 minute preheat and so the water and herbs sit in there and warm anyway.

I used the Zojirushi on "dough" and then just plopped the blob of dough onto a baking sheet and let it rise. It rose nicely, although it did spread out and make a shorter, wider loaf.

Lars Rye Bread photo IMG_0482.jpg

Anyway, it was light and delicious, I love it and it's my new favorite rye bread recipe. Thank you!

Annie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lars' rye bread

Recipe? Pretty please :-) ?

o

Colleen, I got the recipe from the "tomato" thread. As Lars said, I think it would go very well with tomatoes. If only I had some worth eating, alas. Anyway, here's the recipe as posted by Lars.

Rye Bread with Caraway and Fennel

1-1/2 pound loaf (approx.):

2 tbsp caraway seeds
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1-1/2 cups water
2 tbsp onion powder (can substitute 1/4 cup pureed onion)
1-1/8 cups dark rye flour
1-7/8 cups bread flour
2 tbsp semolina flour
2 tbsp VWG
2 tbsp brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp IDY

Grind caraway seeds and fennel seeds in a coffee grinder that is used only for spices. Add the seeds to the water (I use a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup) and microwave for one minute. Stir and microwave 20 more seconds, and then add the onion powder (or pureed onion if you are using that). If using pureed onion instead of onion powder, you can reduce the water by 2 tablespoons. Allow the ground seeds to sit in the warm water until the water has cooled to about 100 degrees.

Meanwhile, add the flours, wheat gluten, sugar, and salt to the bread machine pan and stir gently with a plastic spatula. Add the oil to this mixture and stir slightly. Insert pan into the machine and lock in place.

When the seeds have soaked for at least 15 minutes, add the seed/water mixture to the bread machine pan. Close the lid and add the yeast to the yeast dispenser. Set the machine for small loaf (1-1/2 pounds), medium crust, and regular loaf, or you can use the pizza setting if you want to shape the loaf yourself. Start the machine.

When the bread is done, remove from pan and rub all sides with butter, and then allow the loaf to cool on a wire rack before storing it in a bag. Wait at least one hour before slicing.

These directions are for the Panasonic bread machine that I have, and so you may have to adjust them if you have a different machine. The bread has a very intense flavor, and so you can cut back on the seeds/onion, but I like with a strong flavor. It is not as versatile as plain bread, but it makes great sandwiches.

Grainlady gave me the suggestion to soak the seeds first, so that they will not cut the gluten strands, I think. Anyway, the loaf came out nice and light - not dense at all.

Lars
Colleen, I will definitely make this again, it's very flavorful, although I might cut the brown sugar to one tablespoon and get a slightly more savory dough in some instances.

Annie

o

Glad you liked it, and I also like dill in bread and have made dilly bread in the past, but I find it a bit less versatile.

I think that if you decrease the sugar amount, you might need to decrease the salt - I was under the impression that sugar fed the yeast and made it rise more while the salt retarded the yeast, and so these had to be kept in balance. I think if you let it rise long enough, however, it would not matter.

Your loaf looks nothing like mine! I either leave it in the bread machine or put it in a loaf pan. If it comes out flat, it would be more difficult to make sandwiches, which is what I mainly use it for.

Thanks for the photos!

Lars

o

Thank you!

o

Lars and Annie
I made the bread according to the recipe above, cooked it in the Zoji bread machine, and now am enjoying absolutely great rye bread. It is WONDERFUL toasted, by the way. I could eat it for dessert!

(And I may have to since I left a still-warm loaf of spelt bread and half of a raisin loaf cake on the island and both disappeared, the bread bags drifting empty about on the floor.

Belle just looked innocently at me and denied responsibility.
 photo foldingworktable2_zpseba5704c.jpg
I wonder if all labradoodles are congenital liars ;-)

Luckily the rye bread was safely tucked away on the back of the perimeter.
Thank you both so much.

o

What do VWG and IDY mean, please. My brain is on pause right now.

o

VWG = Vital Wheat Gluten and IDY = Instant dry yeast. I just used the abbreviations in the list of ingredients and then wrote out "gluten" and "yeast" in the directions.

I'm thrilled that you liked the recipe - it's a bit more intense in flavor than most Swedish rye recipes. Normally, one would use either caraway or fennel, but I like them together, and I also like the addition of onion. You can make a very plain sandwich with this bread and it will still have a lot of flavor.

It took me a while to get the recipe to where it would come out light instead of heavy, and I think grinding the spices and soaking them helped.

Lars

o

Caraway-Fennel Rye Bread photo Rye_Bread_704_zps291d4b7e.jpg

I made more rye bread yesterday, and here's how it looked this morning after I cut it. It looks like a normal loaf now, but before when I made it without grinding the seeds, it came out a bit dumpy. Kevin went out and bought a pizza for his lunch today, however, because he happened to pass a pizza place when he went to have his new suit re-hemmed. I told him I could have hemmed it myself, but we both thought that the store should have done it correctly in the first place.

Lars

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here