Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baked Chicken recipes please

Posted by loves2cook4six (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 22:33

Looking for some yummy recipes that are quick, no-hands-on-cooking, using chicken but no dairy or bacon. DH is also gluten free.

I've tried the ones using pineapple and salad dressings and cream-of-? soup, but to be honest they taste off to us. I'm looking for recipes with 15-30 minutes prep then baked and on the table.

Tonight we had this which I do believe was originally from the recipe book that came with my Romertopf pot. Everyone LOVED it.

Baked Chicken and Artichokes

¼ lb. small mushrooms
1 small onion, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, minced
3 lbs. chicken pieces, skin off
2 TB flour, I used organic Brown Rice flour to make it gluten free
1 ½ t. salt
½ t. paprika
¼ t. chopped rosemary
dash white pepper
½ cup chicken broth
¼ cup sherry
1 can artichoke hearts, drained
Method

1. If using a clay pot, soak top and bottom in sink of water for 15 minutes. Drain. I soaked for an hour and a half and it was fine
2. If using covered casserole, lightly grease or spray with Pam.
3. Put mushrooms, onion, garlic in pot or casserole. Coat chicken pieces with a mixture of flour, salt, paprika, rosemary, pepper. Put chicken on top of vegetables. Pour in chicken broth and sherry.
4. Put lid on pot/casserole. If using clay pot, put in a cold oven and turn heat on to 450F (SURROUND in Miele). If using casserole, put in a preheated 375F oven. Bake 1 hour for either method.
5. Stir in artichokes gently after baking 1 hour. Bake 8-10 minutes more covered. Remove cover and bake 5-10 minutes more until chicken starts to crisp.
6. Serves 6

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baked Chicken recipes please

Here are a couple of my favorites. The first one is from Cooking Light, I use the same recipe for pork loin

Apple Cider Brined Chicken

3 quarts water
1 quart apple cider
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 (6-pound) roasting chicken
2 cups apple cider
1 large onion, peeled and halved
4 flat-leaf parsley sprigs
4 garlic cloves, peeled

Combine the first 5 ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring until salt dissolves. Remove from heat; cool completely. Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat. Pour brine into a 2-gallon zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken; seal. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight, turning the bag occasionally.

Preheat oven to 400°.

Bring 2 cups cider to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until cider has thickened and reduced to 1/4 cup (about 15 minutes). Set aside.

Remove chicken from bag; discard brine. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Place the onion halves, parsley, and garlic into cavity. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken. Tie legs. Place chicken on rack of a broiler pan. Bake at 400° for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until thermometer registers 175°. Remove from oven (do not turn oven off). Carefully remove and discard skin. Baste chicken with half of reduced cider; return to 400° oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven; baste with remaining cider reduction. Transfer chicken to a platter.

Place a zip-top plastic bag inside a 2-cup glass measure. Pour drippings into bag; let stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings into a small bowl, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat. Serve jus over chicken.

This one Lars posted, it's good hot and also very good as leftovers cold, and I do it in the oven instead of on the grill. I'd simply sub olive oil for the butter.

Algerian Roasted Chicken
posted by Lars--based on recipe by Chef Farid Zadi

1 whole chicken
4 cloves of garlic
1-1/2 tbsp Kosher salt
1 teaspoon of sumac
1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek
3/4 tsp cumin
3 tablespoons of butter, room temperature
1 tbsp minced Thai basil (or 1/2 tsp fennel)
2 lemons
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
extra herbs, 1 tsp each minced fresh oregano and basil, optional
4-5 sprigs of thyme

Start charcoal for outdoor barbeque, using large chunks of mesquite wood and charcoal

Place the chicken in a roasting pan with a rack. Slide your fingers under the breasts to separate the skin from the meat, turn the chicken over and do the same with the thighs.

Mash the garlic with 1-1/2 tablespoons of salt in a mortar and pestle or finely chop the garlic and incorporate the salt into it with the side of your knife or back of a spoon. Add the sumac, sesame seeds, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, and cumin and mix to pulverize the seeds. Add butter and basil and combine to mix. Tuck pieces of the butter into the "pockets" under the skin.

Squeeze the juice of one lemon all over the chicken, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle freshly ground black pepper. Season the cavity with pepper, tuck in the lemon halves and more herbs into the cavity if desired.

Place the chicken on the barbeque and cover, leaving vents fully open to maintain heat.

Baste the chicken every 15 minutes alternating water and pan drippings. Midway through cooking turn the chicken 90 degrees. Continue frequent basting. The cooking time for a 3-1/2 pound bird is about 1-1/2 hours, depending on how hot your fire is. Cook to an internal temperature of 160�, measured in the thigh.

Let rest covered about 30 minutes before carving. Squeeze fresh lemon juice into the roasting juices, and pour into a gravy boat. Add salt, if needed.
Serve with roasted potatoes, green salad, and French or Italian bread.

Annie

o

Here is a simple classic baked chicken recipe from Simple recipes.com. The ingredients are chicken, olive oil, salt and pepper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple Recipes

o

That Romertopf chicken and artichokes has been a favorite since I bought my second hand clay cooker 20+ years ago!

This is deliciously simple but with butter, guess you could omit and use some oil. I would probably use part vegetable oil and part light olive oil.

Amish Baked Chicken

1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
3 teaspoons salt
3 pounds cut-up broiler or young chicken
1/4 pound butter or one stick

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix the dry ingredients well in a plastic bag, then coat the cut up chicken parts with the mixture.

Melt the butter in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Place the chicken parts in the pan, but do not crowd them. Bake the chicken for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until done. Turn chicken once or twice during baking.

Olive oil would be a fine substitute for this:

GARLIC ROASTED CHICKEN AND POTATOES serves 6

4 Tbsp. butter or margarine
6 medium size chicken legs & 6 chicken thighs
6 medium size potatoes (about 2 lbs.)
24 unpeeled garlic cloves
Salt
1/ 4 cup maple syrup

In large roasting pan in 400 degree oven, melt butter. Remove pan from oven. Meanwhile cut potatoes into bite size chunks.

Place chicken pieces, potato chunks and garlic in roasting pan. Sprinkle with 1 Tsp. salt. Turn to coat with melted butter; arrange chicken pieces skin side up. Bake 30 minutes, basting the chicken and potatoes with dripping in pan.

Brush chicken with maple syrup and spoon dripping in pan over potatoes occasionally; bake 20 minutes longer or just until potatoes and chicken are fork-tender.

To serve, divide chicken, potatoes and garlic among 6 warm plates; skim fat from drippings and pour any pan juices over chicken. Each person can cut through garlic skin and spread roasted garlic onto chicken and potatoes.

Teresa

o

Peach Chicken

Your choice of chicken pieces
Bisquick or your equivilent
your choice of seasoning: I use salt pepper and paprika
1 can of peaches in light syrup

Baking pan to fit chicken
Spray pan. Pre-heat oven to 400F

Put Bisquick and seasonings in bag. Shake chicken, place in pan. Bake 1 hour for bone in, 40 min for boneless. Turn over half way thru.

15 minutes before chicken is done, spoon peaches and juice over chicken pieces.

This is actually the baked chicken recipe from Bisquick, but mom always did it this way, and that's what we called it. Just use what you normally would to substitute for gluten free flour.

Tami

o

Here's my go-to recipe for simple, yummy chicken; it's been posted here several times (someone said her kid referred to it as 'the chicken with the lemons up its butt' recipe). Very easy: it takes about ten or fifteen minutes to prep, then the oven does all the rest. It's from Marcella Hazan's 'Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking'--a great cookbook.

Marcella sez: If this were a still life its title could be "Chicken with Two Lemons." That is all that there is in it. No fat to cook with, no basting to do, no stuffing to prepare, no condiments except for salt and pepper. After you put the chicken in the oven you turn it just once. The bird, its two lemons, and the oven do all the rest. Again and again, through the years, I met people who come up to me to say, "I have made your chicken with two lemons and it is the most amazingly simple recipe, the juiciest, best-tasting chicken I have ever had." And you know, it is perfectly true.

Roast Chicken with Lemons
Ingredients
A 3- to 4-pound chicken
Salt
Black pepper, ground fresh from the mill
2 rather small lemons
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Wash the chicken thoroughly in cold water, both inside and out. Remove all the bits of fat hanging loose. Let the bird sit for about 10 minutes on a slightly tilted plate to let all the water drain out of it. Pat it thoroughly dry all over with cloth or paper towels.
Sprinkle a generous amount of salt and black pepper on the chicken, rubbing it with your fingers over all its body and into its cavity.
Wash the lemons in cold water and dry them with a towel. Soften each lemon by placing it on a counter and rolling it back and forth as you put firm downward pressure on it with the palm of your hand. Puncture the lemons in at least 20 places each, using a sturdy round toothpick, a trussing needle, a sharp-pointed fork, or similar implement.
Place both lemons in the bird’s cavity. Close up the opening with toothpicks or with trussing needle and string. Close it well, but don’t make an absolutely airtight job of it because the chicken may burst. Run kitchen string from one leg to the other, tying it at both knuckle ends. Leave the legs in their natural position without pulling them tight. If the skin is unbroken, the chicken will puff up as it cooks, and the string serves only to keep the thighs from spreading apart and splitting the skin.
Put the chicken into a roasting pan, breast facing down. Do not add cooking fat of any kind. This bird is self-basting, so you need not fear it will stick to the pan. Place it in the upper third of the preheated oven. After 30 minutes, turn the chicken over to have the breast face up. When turning it, try not to puncture the skin. If kept intact, the chicken will swell like a balloon, which makes for an arresting presentation at the table later. Do not worry too much about it, however, because even if it fails to swell, the flavor will not be affected.
Cook for another 30 to 35 minutes, then turn the oven thermostat up to 400 degrees, and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Calculate between 20 and 25 minutes total cooking time for each pound. There is no need to turn the chicken again.
Whether your bird has puffed up or not, bring it to the table whole and leave the lemons inside until it is carved and opened. The juices that run out are perfectly delicious. Be sure to spoon them over the chicken slices. The lemons will have shriveled up, but they still contain some juice; do not squeeze them, they may squirt.
Ahead-of-time note: If you want to eat it while it is warm, plan to have it the moment it comes out of the oven. If there are leftovers, they will be very tasty cold, kept moist with some of the cooking juices and eaten not straight out of the refrigerator, but at room temperature.

o

My favorite is a bit similar to arley's but a different preparation. I stuff the cavity with 1/2 an unpeeled small onion, 1 peeled (whole) garlic clove, and a couple thyme sprigs with two quartered lemons before roasting. Rub the bird down with olive oil or butter, S/P and in the oven. While the bird roasts I fix the remaining sides. This roast chicken is right up there with my all-time favorite meals. I usually use the leftovers for chicken pot pie or chicken enchiladas verde. Good stuff.

/tricia

o

I haven't made this yet but it sure looks good. I think someone here posted it.

Here is a link that might be useful: man pleasing chicken

o

Arley, that sounds easy and delicious. Hmmm, another use for corn stabers/holders! Poke lemons.

Tami

o

This is not a baked chicken dish, but it's quick and easy and fairly healthy. If you're cooking for a bunch of hungry kids, you might note that you can fit a five pound value pack of chicken thighs (cost around $6) into a 14 inch nonstick skillet (available at Sams for around $28) and have the entire batch cooked in 20 minutes. Worth getting a big nonstick skillet just for this recipe.

Crispy Chicken Thighs

This is more a technique than a recipe. I learned it from a recipe by Jacques Pepin. That recipe involves making a sauce, but the chicken thighs by themselves are tasty on their own even if you don’t want to bother making the sauce. You get crispy ‘fried’ chicken without a batter and with much less fat than regular fried chicken. Quick, extremely easy, and very tasty. From a food-science-geek standpoint, what you’re doing is rendering the fat out of the skin, and the skin fries in that fat, while the flesh side is steamed in the covered skillet by the vapors liberated in the cooking process. You can vary the seasoning if you want; a little bit of smoked Spanish paprika (‘pimenton’) or chipotle powder works well instead of or in addition to the black pepper. Penzeys has a spice mix called ‘Arizona Dreaming’ that works very well on this. So does lemon pepper (Penzey's 'Sunny Spain' salt free lemon pepper is very good on this)

Ingredients
4 chicken thighs, skin on
salt
black pepper

Procedure
1. Set the chicken thighs skin-side down on a cutting board. Trim any excess floppy skin. In the flesh side cut a ½ inch deep slash on either side of the thigh bone, parallel to the bone and about ½ inch away from the bone (this helps the thigh to flatten out somewhat). Season the thighs on both sides with salt and pepper.
2. Place the chicken thighs skin-side down on an unheated non-stick skillet. Only then turn the heat to high. When the chicken starts to sizzle, turn heat to medium and move the thighs around to make sure they aren't sticking to the skillet. Cover the skillet and cook for 16 to 18 minutes. Check the chicken occasionally to make sure it isn’t sticking. If the skin is browning too much after 10 minutes, then turn the heat to low. If after 18 minutes the flesh side doesn’t look quite done, flip the thighs and fry them flesh side down for a minute or two, uncovered. When done, serve.

o

Love that easy recipe from J. Pepin, arley! I make it often, but have not made the sauce yet. Must do that sometime.

Teresa

o

Oh, thank you! Thank you!

I will be trying ALL of these.

Bumblebeez, I made that man pleasing chicken dish a few weeks ago and found that I had to doctor the sauce a lot to make it tasty. The mustard really was overwhelming. If you taste it before you pour the sauce over the chicken, and adjust the flavor with sweet chili sauce, sugar and soy, then you should be fine.

o

Some more baked chicken recipes, all tried and true:

Sticky Chicken Legs and Thighs
(Originally for a whole chicken baked at 250F for 5 hours)

Seasoning Mix:

4 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper

Other Ingredients:

chicken leg quarters-- one seasoning recipe is enough for 5 lbs of leg quarters
1-2 cups chopped onion (sweet onions are wonderful in this recipe)

Directions:

1.In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all the spices.

2. Defrost leg quarters, and chop between leg and thigh, removing as much skin as desired (we find that the thighs have way too much skin on them, so I cut most of it off, but leave a little skin on them for taste!).

3. Sprinkle seasoning on each piece, front and back, then place in a pan (I find the glass pans work very nicely). Sprinkle with the chopped onion.

4. Bake uncovered, at 350 degrees for at least 1 hour. The onions will caramelize and turn very dark- that's ok, they will taste incredible.

5. Serve with baked, roasted or mashed potatoes, and green beans or other veggie of your choice.

Notes:

-Throw in some chunked potatoes in a separate dish, drizzle with oil, sprinkle with minced garlic, s&p, and herbs and you have most of your meal done right there in the oven.

- I make up more of the seasoning mix and put in a glass jar with a label to keep on hand.

Baked Curried Chicken

1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
dash salt
1/2 to 1 t. curry powder

Mix all well in a bowl. Spread on chicken pieces, including wings. Bake at 375F for 1 hour uncovered.

Baked, Grilled, or Broiled Chicken

3 TB Dijon mustard
1 t. garlic, minced
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 lemon, juice of
salt and pepper

Mix marinade together in a heavy plastic zip bag; add in chicken, 8-10 pieces. Marinade several hours in refrigerator. Bake, grill, or broil chicken until done. To bake, 375F oven for about an hour, turn chicken while baking.

Teresa

o

These recipes look great. Has anyone ever tried Jacque Pepin's recipe using breasts, or would it not work?

o

We have an easy chicken dish in our rotation. Great leftovers for lunches.
8-12 chicken thighs, bone in, skin removed. (i never liked thighs before this one)
In a wide open saucepan on the stovetop,
-a few garlic cloves or none or what you like, we like alot
-half and onion, some carrot chopped, and celery
-pepper, salt, smoked paprika, chipotle, rosemary...or any seasonings you like
-splash of wostershire and 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup AC vinegar, a bit of sweet...we use maple syrup.
-2 -3 cups of water, maybe a leftover 1/2 beer, coffee, green tea

Put in chicken thighs meat side down and simmer for 45 min
-Liquid does not need to cover, just 3/4 or 1/2 the way up, thighs should fit in a single layer.
(once cooking the thighs produce a bit of their own liquid) last bit of cooking they seem to have plenty of liquid...

I take out the thighs and place them on a sheet pan in the oven to stay warm or brown.
Stick blend/or blender the veggie juices and sauce it.
Over rice or pasta.

It is tender and not greasy at all.

No real recipe, different every time with what i have or feel like. Add tomatoes for a different sauce or plain greek yogurt at the blending phase for a creamy low fat sauce.
(and the pups get some nice skin with their dinner)

I make my own mustard and will sometimes smear some on when i put in the oven warming phase. Did a panko smush once over the mustard and broiled a few minutes.

Really fun basic recipe for experimenting and making it your own.

o

Welcome to the cooking forum sleevendog! That's an unusual moniker and I am certain there is a story behind it. I hope to see more of you.

Teresa

o

Sleevendog, I had some boneless skinless chicken thighs to cook last night, so I tried your recipe, using chopped onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. After the veggies were soft, I browned the thighs and then rolled them up (bone-in thighs would have stayed in shape better). My sauce ingredients included soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, worcestershire sauce, maple syrup, smoked paprika, and cayenne, plus a little water. It turned out to be a different take on chicken stew. Wow, it was delicious! The whole family loved it.

Sue

o

Shocking really how quick that recipe is. It was based on a traditional southAmerican dish i think. My husband is more of a 'follow the recipe' type and it originally has a very long marinade time in way too much soy. Also too salty. I tend to devour cookbooks like a novel, then go off on my own and never follow to a 't'. Not one to grocery shop for a specific ingredient. (the problem with that?...when something is really great, i forget what i did, : )
He often grabs a notepad during a meal and grills me for details, haha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here