Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peanut butter cookies

Posted by khandi (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 10, 12 at 21:37

Does anybody have a good peanut butter cookie recipe that make the cookies crisp yet chewy?
The recipes I've tried had a cake-like texture, if I remember correctly.
I'd like a cookie that is crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
Thanks!

Has anybody tries the recipe on the jar, which is mostly peanut butter? How did the cookie turn out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peanut butter cookies

The recipe from King Arthur at the link below might do the trick. -Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Classic Peanut Butter Cookies

o

Thank you Grainlady. They do sound like they will do the trick.

Also like the site! Especially the gluten-free recipes since my daughter has started to eat gluten-free and my nephew's little boy has celiac.

Thanks again!

o

Khandi, if you need a gluten free recipe, I made some black bean brownies and they are way better than gluten free brownies made from other grains (rice, quinoa) etc. Just make sure to really puree the black beans, makes for a better texture. Sorry to get off track. I may try the peanut butter cookie recipe too, always looking for a good one. I had a friend come over tonight and she said she made kidney bean peanut butter cookies, still have to google that one.

o

I'll chime in for gluten-free recipes too...so we'll be on the "off" topic (lol).

There is a 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe, 4-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe, Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe, and all it's variations, including adding chocolate chips to the recipe.

1 c. peanut butter
1 c. sugar
1 egg
(1 t. vanilla) optional
(1 t. baking soda) optional
Blend ingredients and drop by teaspoonfuls on a baking sheet. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 8-minutes.

Grainlady note: I've altered this recipe and it makes a more traditional peanut butter cookie than the above recipe produces:
1 c. peanut butter
1/3 c. palm sugar (I use Navitas Naturals Organic Palm Sugar and order it through iHerb.com)
1 egg
1 T. agave nectar (or palm sugar syrup - aka coconut nectar*)
4 T. almond flour
2 T. hi-maize flour (Honeyville Grain or King Arthur)
1 t. soda
*Homemade coconut nectar/palm sugar syrup - 3/4 c. palm sugar + 1/4 c. water. Heat a few minutes until dissolved. Much richer flavor than agave nectar.

Press the dough balls down with a fork and bake in a 350-degree oven. By using palm sugar and/or agave nectar, they are also low-glycemic and appropriate for most diabetics.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I use gluten-free almond flour a lot and purchase it by the 5-pound bag from Honeyville Grain (www.honeyvillegrain.com) and coconut flour (on line from - Wilderness Family, Bob's Red Mill, Tropical Traditions, Coconut Secret, etc.) for baking.

For great gluten-free recipes, I'd suggest "The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook" by Elana Amsterdam (www.elanaspantry.com - where you will find more recipes). We're enjoying the Pecan Shortbread Cookie recipe out of the book this weekend :-).

"Cooking with Coconut Flour" A Delicious Low-Carb, Gluten-Free Alternative to Wheat - by Bruce Fife, N.D. You can find a lot of recipes using coconut flour on-line.

I'd also suggest milling your own grains for other gluten-free flours. Even a good coffee/spice mill will mill rice flour, and other small grains. When milling rice for baking, use short- or medium-grain rice. They have the best baking quality. Long-grain rice flour is fine as a thickener or dredging meat, but short- and medium-grain rice work for thickening and dredging, but are the better choice for baking.

Having your own mill would save a lot of money on gluten-free flours. Plus, fresh-is-best when it comes to flour.

I develop recipes (including gluten-free) for a sorghum mill. My mother was gluten-intolerant, and that got me started developing recipes for her 35-years ago, when there was little in the way of information or recipes.

-Grainlady

o

I've also made those cookies posted by grainlady with Splenda and they turned out fine that way too, 1 cup peanut butter, 1 egg, 1 tsp vanilla, Splenda equal to 1 cup sugar. I don't care for Splenda, but it's what I had on hand, so I used it and my diabetic BIL, my diabetic father and my celiac Aunt Ellen liked them, LOL.

For peanut butter cookies for everyone else, I use the recipe in the old Betty Crocker cookbook, I've tried others and it's still my favorite. Don't overbake, though, or they lose the chewy quality. It'll depend on your oven and the size of your cookie but mine takes 10 minutes. Don't press them too flat with the fork either, or they'll be crispy, I think I leave mine maybe 1/2 inch thick. I do replace the shortening with all butter and I sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar because I like them that way. (grin) No one complains.

PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375*

Mix thoroughly the shortening, butter or margarine, peanut butter, both sugars and egg. Blend in flour, soda, baking powder and salt. Cover and chill.

Shape dough into one-inch balls. Place 3 inches apart on baking sheet. Flatten in crisscross pattern with a fork dipped in flour.

Bake 10 to 12 minutes.

Makes three dozen cookies.

I really like the King Arthur website too. I buy their flour at the store but I've never ordered anything on line from them. I've only had a few of their recipes fail me, so they're consistent too.

Annie

o

Thanks for all the info.
It's very much appreciated.
I've notice lately that a lot of people are choosing to eat gluten-free foods.
My family doctor told me that gluten is hard on the digestive system and people who have irritable bowels or have colitis, shouldn't eat gluten.
My daughter had stomach/digestive issues and has greatly improved since cutting out the gluten.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here