SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
castorp

Outdoor Propane Cooker Burns Dirty

castorp
10 years ago

Hi,

"Everyone" says liquid propane should burn clean if the air-fuel mix is right. But I've adjusted and readjusted, made sure the air intake is clear, replaced the regulator altogether, and my outdoor cooker still burns dirty. Every time I cook with it, my wok/pan gets covers with soot, which soon gets soot on everything else--clothes, sink, shelves. It's driving me crazy.

This is just a simple single-burner set up with a propane tank, hose and regulator, and a burner attached to a stand. I bought it at Bass Pro and can no longer find the page on it, but I do remember a reviewer saying he had the same problem.

The burner is a crude, cast iron thing with a loose-fitting air intake adjuster that allows it to suck in a massive amount of air if needed. I'm wondering if this type of burner is so primitive that it's impossible to fine tune it enough to get a blue flame and so is bound to be dirty.

So I'm wondering if putting a more refined sort of burner on it would fix the problem.

Some RV people say that liquid propane in the Southeast (where I live) is simply dirty and you're bound to have soot with it no matter what. If this is true, I would like to find a cooker that runs on a different kind of fuel. I used to use one of those camp stoves with the mini propane tanks. It was flimsy and didn't have a lot of power and the fuel cost a lot more but at least it didn't cover everything with soot.

Still, can anyone think of a better alternative?

I cook outdoors a lot--several times a week, mainly to avoid a lot of cooking fumes in the house. So this dirty propane cooker is a major headache for me.

Thanks,

Bill

Comment (1)