Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Half and half

Posted by mudlady (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 19:29

I am really getting old--I bought a half gallon of half and half today and when I was putting things into the fridge I found I had already bought half and half. It is "super pasteurized" but the only thing I do with H&H is use a little in coffee, and I rarely drink more than one cup per day. I have made cream soup with H&H, and I will probably do that to use some of it, but my cholesterol is rreally too high to indulge in H&H except for the very small amount I put in coffee. I called my daughter in law and asked if she needed any and she said that my son had just pulled into their drive after doing the shopping and they couldn't use a double quantity. Can H&H be frozen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Half and half

You can make ice cream with it, and then it will be frozen. If you do decide to freeze it as is, be sure to divide it into smaller amounts. I would not hesitate to freeze it as is, but you can expect ice crystals if you do not make it into ice cream. The crystals shouldn't hurt if you plan to use it in coffee.

Lars

o

I googled to find out the answer to this question. (a couple of weeks ago) The answer was that milk can be frozen but not half & half or whipping cream. Has to do with the fat content. I didn't test it out though so you might try freezing a small amount, a cup or so, and see what happens. Be sure and thaw in the fridge rather than on the counter.

o

I froze half and half recently when a friend brought over a quart. Came out fine, though some milk had settled out on the bottom. Otherwise, creamy and excellent.

o

Cream sure can be frozen....just shake it up after it thaws. And after freezing it will spoil more quickly....so plan recipes to use it up.

o

I've frozen whipping cream in a carton before, and it was fine for use when I defrosted it and was good for the several days that it took us to use it up.

Lars

o

Certainly conflicting information here.
So I will add my experience to the mix.

I have frozen milk before,
It separated out quite a bit,
But was fine after I shook it up real good.

But when I froze cream
(heavy whipping cream)
It was completely separated when thawed,
Like curdles in whey.
I couldn't get it to emulsify at all,
So I pitched it.

So now I'm wondering why the different reactions
for different people.

Personally, I'm inclined to go along with Pris'
Googled answer.

Rusty

o

I guess I will freeze it and see what I get when I defrost it. I can't find anyone to give it to so if it is usable after I defrost it I will not have lost more than $4.

o

What are the 'use by' dates on the cartons? You should be able to keep it in the fridge unopened for quite a while. I can buy two quarts of heavy whipping cream and have them last about 3 weeks, probably longer if I didn't use them up(we eat lower carb). I've never had them go bad before using them up in that time. I've tried freezing cream but have had it curdle like Rusty has. It might depend on any additives or stabilizers in some brands?

o

You could freeze a small amount first as a test before freezing all of it. It will certainly keep if you make it into ice cream, which I think would require a bit more cream. Freezing it in an ice cream maker might be the best way to go. Ice cream does not need to have that many ingredients.

Lars

o

Cream sure can be frozen....just shake it up after it thaws. And after freezing it will spoil more quickly....so plan recipes to use it up.

o

Not H&H specifically, but on freezing milk products.

When first married, FIL was head custonian at local elementary school. I'd get a call most Fridays to come get milk. Seems no matter WHAT the date was on carton (even if T or W of following week), he was told he HAD to throw them all out at the end of the week?? I often had several frozen half pints of milk. Key was to let them thaw completely and shake up well... they were always fine.

Bought buttermilk for some recipe... only needed maybe a cup and quart was smallest container. I thought I'd try to freeze the rest. When I thawed it, it was all separated, so I tossed it. Later found out that a quick spin with a mixer or in blender would have made it come back.

If I'm not mistaken, the more fat content in a milk product... the longer it lasts?? Not 2 hours ago, cut into a block of cream cheese... don't even wanna say how far past date it was... and it was perfectly OK.

o
RE: Half and half experiment results

There were so many opposing answers I decided to do a little test. I put about a cup of 1/2 & 1/2 in a half pint mason jar and froze it. Took it out about 24 hrs later and put it in the fridge to thaw. Took it out yesterday and checked it. It had little beads of fat suspended in it. I shook and shook to know avail. Still little beads of fat. Put some in my coffee and it looked like curdled milk. The fat beads did not dissolve. I shook and shook some more and still the same results. But, there again, I don't know how long and hard those of you who used this method shook yours. I put it back in the fridge and pondered on it for awhile. So, before I decided to give up completely, I tried this. I took out my stick blender and gave it three or four pulses and lo and behold, no fat beads. I wasn't sure it would last so I put it back in the fridge and took it out just now. Still no fat beads so I added it to my afternoon coffee and am now sitting here enjoying a cup.

So, go ahead and freeze it. Just thaw in the fridge and use your blender to re-incorporate it. Good to go.

o

Way back when we used a hand cranked egg beater....

o

Linda, have you seen one in recent years? My mother had one but haven't seen an egg beater in a loooong time. That would probably work too.

o

I take a drink occasionally thats what they told my dad to drink he had ulcers,when my stomach isnt feelin right I take a sip,coats the stomach.

o

The thoughts on ulcer diets are very VERY different these days. Fats increase acid production rather than coat the stomach.
I still have an old hand cranked beater in my "stuff" drawer......and 2 or 3 more in the box of antique kitchen ware in the basement. I have one with 2 flat discs which rotate parallel to the bottom of the bowl, my MIL gave it to me.....she says nothing whips cream like that does....and she's right but it's he!! to wash!!
Way back when, when milk and cream was left at the door, often to freeze, I learned to shake it up really well and all would be fine.....even when it "had a hat" from freezing.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here