Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Veggie Burger recipes?

Posted by barb_roselover_in (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 19:26

Had a Veggie Burger tonight at Burger King. Had wondered what they tasted like. Mine was overcooked but tasted good and I would like to try it on my own. Do any of you have recipes and what holds them together? Any other brave ones try this? I'm in to try to make my own. Appreciate any hints if you have tried this. Thanks. Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Veggie Burger recipes?

This one's really good. Burger King veggie burgers are awful and are ALWAYS overcooked! I've tried making vegan ones but have found every egg substitute to fail miserably. But with eggs they hold together well.

Here is a link that might be useful: veggie burger

o

Forgot to tell you. Squeezing out excess water helps a bunch! I put the beans in a dish cloth and squeeze, then after pureeing onions and peppers do the same. Good luck!

o

I haven't had BK vegie burgers, now I'll have to try one. I made a lot of these when we ate vegetarian, and it was one of my stock recipes when I did nutrition and money management classes for our Extension....lentils were cheap back then! We still make these occasionally.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Surprise Burgers

Recipe By : Katie (Bonner Co. Extension Nutrition Program)
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/4 cups lentils
3 cups water
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped carrots
2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs -- more if necessary
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano -- * see note
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter, margarine, or oil
cheese slices

Wash lentils. Add water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer about 15 minutes.

Add onions and carrots. Cook 15 minutes or more until lentils and vegies are tender.

Stir in bread crumbs, seasoning and egg.

Drop lentils by rounded 1/3 cupfuls into hot oil. Flatten with pancake turner. Cook until firm and brown on both sides. Top with cheese slice and cook until cheese is melted.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : * I add some sage and a little thyme...use whatever herbs you like for meatloaf.

o

These are really good. I like all of her recipes that I've tried. And they are vegan. :)

Mexicali Sliders (Chloe Coscarelli)
Serves 4 to 6
This is the ultimate not-your-average veggie burger recipe that I just can't get enough of! The patty is made from perfectly spiced black beans with slow cooked caramelized onions inside to add sweetness and moisture.

Ingredients

Black Bean Patties
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 onion, finely chopped
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 small carrot, peeled and finely diced or shredded (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup water

Spicy Mango Sauce
1 mango, peeled and cut
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, whole or sliced
1 garlic clove
1 tablespoon white or apple cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon sea salt

Guacamole
3 avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
1/4 cup salsa fresca
Sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
12 to 15 mini buns or dinner rolls

Procedure

To make the Black Bean Patties: In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add onions and let cook until tender and slightly caramelized, about 20 minutes. Transfer onions to a large bowl. Reserve skillet for later use.

Add beans, carrots, cornmeal, breadcrumbs, chili powder, salt, cilantro, and water to the bowl of onions. Use a large spoon or your hands to mash it all together. If the mixture is too dry to hold together, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time.

Using your hands, form the bean mixture into patties, to match the size of your slider buns. In the reserved nonstick skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat, and pan-fry patties about 3 minutes on each side, until lightly browned and crisp. Add more oil to the skillet as needed. Drain patties on paper towels.

To make the Spicy Mango Sauce: Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

To make the Guacamole: In a large bowl, mash together avocado and lime juice, then fold in salsa fresca. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

To assemble the Sliders: Slice each bun in half and layer a couple teaspoons of Spicy Mango Sauce, 1 Black Bean Patty, and about a tablespoon of Guacamole. If you have extra Spicy Mango Sauce, you can use it as a dip for your fries!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexicali Sliders

o

I keep a stack of these individually wrapped in sheets of foil in the freezer at all times. -Grainlady

BEAN BURGERS
(source: Eat More Weigh Less - by Dr. Dean Ornish)

Makes six (5-inch) burgers - I make them much smaller than that and make 8-10).

1/2 c. minced green onion (I also use chives, red, yellow or white onion - whatever I have on hand)
1-1/2 t. minced garlic (can omit, or add more if you like)
2 T. white wine or vegetable stock (I use water, but you can also saute the green onion/garlic in a little olive oil)
1 29-ounce can cooked drained pinto beans
3/4 c. cracker meal (I use dried whole wheat bread crumbs)
2 egg whites (I use one whole egg)
1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley
2 T. seasoned rice vinegar (almost any vinegar will work, just use less - 1 T. - and add a little salt to make up for the seasoning in rice vinegar)
1/2 t. SPIKE seasoning powder (this seasoning is also great in mashed potatoes or on baked chicken breasts)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a small nonstick saute pan, braise the onions and garlic in white wine (or vegetable stock or water) until soft.

In a medium bowl, combine the sauteed onions and garlic, beans, cracker meal, egg whites, parsley, vinegar, and seasoning powder. Mash well with a fork or potato masher until blended but not entirely smooth.

On a parchment-lined baking sheet, drop the mixture by 1/2 cup amounts and flatten gently with a spoon to form six 5-inch "burgers." Bake for 25 minutes, or until set and beginning to brown lightly. Serve hot.

Grainlady note: I pan fry the frozen "burgers" to reheat them, which also makes a nice crispy crust, and serve them on a homemade multi-grain burger bun with our favorite burger toppings. You can also easily cut the recipe in half and use one small can (15-16 oz.) of pinto beans.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here