SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foodonastump

Mardi Gras recipes

foodonastump
12 years ago

A couple recent threads have alluded to Mardi Gras. Mardi Gras has a bit of sentimental value for me for two reasons: First off, my parents met at a Fastnacht party in Frankfurt way back in 1954, secondly right around this time of the year in 1999 I "hooked up" with my wife at a "Louisiana Bar and Restaurant" called Oddfellows in Hoboken, NJ, where it's always Mardi Gras.

To celebrate this year, I'm interested in some NOLA type Mardi Gras recipes. Food is what I mean, but if you've got "from scratch" recipes for Hurricanes, I'll gladly make and judge them, too. 40 dry days coming up, so I might as well go out with a bang! (Or a pass-out!)

Comments (27)

• booberry85
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's one of my favorites.

Jambalaya

This recipe an old boyfriend made for me. I broke up with him before I got the recipe. One of my sorority sisters was dating his brother. She got the recipe for me. A heck of a way to get a recipe! Serves 4.

Ingredients

12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
    8 oz boneless, skinless chicken, diced
    8 oz smoked ham, diced (Kielbasa or Andouie sausage also work well)
    2 cups cooked rice
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    1/4 cup each diced tomato, diced onion, diced celery, diced green pepper, and sliced okra
    1 cup tomato juice (I like spicy V-8 or Bloody Mary mix instead)
    1 cup stock, chicken, beef or seafood
    1 tablespoon garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    Salt to taste
    1 tablespoon gumbo file, optional

Melt the butter in a sauce pot and add vegetables. Saute vegetables for a couple minutes and add seasonings. Add shrimp, chicken and ham and saute until cooked. Add rice, stock, tomato juice and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in gumbo file to thicken and serve immediately.

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

Foodona, the thing is, Mardi Gras is when you don't cook much so you can go to the parades! It's more the time for a big pot of chili to put on boiled hotdogs, and/or red beans and rice, stuff like that. You go to the parades, then trek back to Grandmas, or whoever lived closest to the parade route, when you're starved, grab a dog or plate of beans and head back to the parades. When I was down there sometimes we'd make a pot of gumbo to keep in the crock pot. Chicken, sausage and shrimp gumbo. So, if you want to do an ode to Mardi Gras up here in the Great North, just do your favorites.

Here is the Pat O'Brian recipe for Hurricanes.
    Ingredients:

1 ounce fresh-squeezed lemon juice or lime juice (your choice)
    4 ounces dark rum
    4 ounces passion fruit syrup
    Crushed ice
    Orange and/or lime slice
    1 Maraschino Cherry

Of course by Mardi Gras day, food is not really a consideration. I'd generally make a gallon of white russians in a gallon milk jug and hit the street. Good luck. LOL.

• Related Discussions

Mardi Gras Recipes/Ideas

Q

Comments (1)
    Homersgarden, A few years back I had a Mardi Gras party and made several dishes from both links below. Not sure if you have to bring apps, side or main dish? I did make a muffeletta as an appetizer basically take french bread sliced long way, added the olive fixings, meats, and cheese, broiled and sliced into smaller pieces. Big Hit. Also crab cakes are good thing. Other traditions are King cakes that contain a hidden treasure. I cheated on that and made mini king cakes (aka cupcakes) with the traditional purple, green and gold sprinkles on top and in one of them contained a quarter (couldn't find a plasic mini baby). Tradition goes that whoever gets the prize hosts the party the next year. I guess New Englanders don't believe in that because no has continued doing this after my party :( You will want to get a mask as that is also another tradition. The more feathers the better! As for hostest gift, I received a basket filled with all the fixings for Pat O'Briens New Orleans Hurricane drink. She went to http://patobriens.creativeinternet.com/patobriens/ and purchased the glass and mixings, and printed out the recipe . It was really cool. Other recipes... http://www.zatarains.com/recipelanding.cfm Here is a link that might be useful: Mardi Gras Recipes
    ...See More

Mardi Gras...Shrove Tuesday

Q

Comments (18)
    Thanks so much, Kathleen, for providing the link on Shrove Tuesday. I learned so much from it. And again I have to tell you how pretty your tables (and food) are. The colors are beautiful. I'll start looking for stuff to use next year. Gosh, this is fun! Also, I did have medications for my pink eye but they didn't work this time. I started on one Friday night as soon as I realized my eye was acting up. When that one didn't work, I dug out the other one and started that one Sat. Sunday was worse, so Monday Alfred took me to the Dr. for even stronger stuff. It is better today. Thanks for asking. Your tables aren't blurry today!! Betty
    ...See More

Pancake Day.....Shrove Tuesday.....Mardi Gras

Q

Comments (11)
    Growing up we looked forward to Pancake Day because Mom would put coins in our pancakes. She'd make them in the shape of our initials too. I usually make pancakes for supper on Pancake Day but probably won't tomorrow since Joe is going out to supper with a business colleague and I won't make them just for me. I don't serve anything with them, just syrup. I suppose a fruit salad or sausages would go with them.
    ...See More

HAPPY MARDI GRAS 2020! ⚜️⚜️

Q

Comments (18)
    We here in the Tampa Bay Area have what's called the Gasparilla Pirate Festival which includes a parade in late January. (It's mainly a money-making thing for all the snowbirds that are still here.) It's been going on for over a century. When I was a kid my grandma lived on a street that the parade went down and we saw it for several years in a row. But when my son got to be old enough to know what was going on I took him and couldn't believe what was going on. I vowed not to take him back. People were acting as if it was Mardi Gras and I'm talking broad daylight flashing and heavy drinking/drug activity. They finally started having a separate parade day for the children because a lot of families refused to go anymore. So I don't have anything against people who want to hoop and holler and act up in adult fashion but not around the kids.
    ...See More
  • lindac
    12 years ago

Hoboken??? Really Hoboken?
    I am a Jersey girl from way back....
    Hoboken?
    My best Mardi Gras recipe is Kings cake...beside the obvious of course!

• caliloo
    12 years ago

I'm making my Jambalaya recipe, BBQ Shrimp, Ceasar Salad, Garlic Bread and Hurricanes! Laissez les bon temps rouler!!!!

Alexa

• caliloo
    12 years ago

Oh and I am thinking of this recipe I have had saved for eons.... KING CAKE!

Alexa

King Cake Recipe

The recipe:

For the Brioche:

1 Envelope Active Dry Yeast
    2 Tbsp Warm Water (115 degree F)
    1 tsp Iodized Salt
    2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
    1/4 Cup Milk
    2 tsp Orange Zest, minced
    2 Cups All Purpose Flour, sifted
    1 tsp Cinnamon
    2 Eggs, beaten
    1 1/4 sticks cold Unslated Butter, cut into very small dice
    1 Egg beaten and 2 Tbsp water, for the eggwash
    1 plastic baby trinket

Dissolve the yeast in the workbowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, let stand until frothy.
    Dissolve the salt, sugar, orange zest and milk in a small bowl. When dissolved combine the milk mixture with the yeast mixture. Mix the cinnamon with the flour.
    With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, then gradually add the flour, until all is incorporated. Knead on low speed for 10 minutes, or until a smooth elastic dough is formed. A little more flour may be necessary. With the motor running, incorporate the butter into the dough, a little at a time but rather quickly so that it doesn’t heat up and melt.
    Turn the dough into an oiled bowl, loosely cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour in a warm spot.
    When the dough has doubled in bulk punch it down, cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    Roll the dough out to a 6 x 18 inch rectangle. Spead the Pecan filling (recipe below) out in the middle of the rectangle along the whole length, leaving about 1 1/2 inch on each side. Place the baby trinket somewhere with the filling. Fold the length of the dough over the filling and roll up tightly, leaving the seam side down. Turn the roll into a circle, seam side down and put one end inside of the other to hide the seam, and seal the circle. Place the cake on a baking sheet and let rise, loosely covered with plastic wrap, for 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.

Brush all over with the egg wash, then place the king cake into the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

When the cake cools, brush with some of the glaze (recipe below) thinned out with more cold water. This will help the sugars adhere. Decorate the cake with the colored sugars and drizzle some of the thicker glaze onto the cake.

Place on a large round serving plate and decorate with Mardi Gras beads, doubloons and whatever else that you like.

For the Pecan filling:

1 Cup Pecan halves, broken up slightly and roasted until fragrant
    2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
    1 tsp Vanilla extract
    1 tsp Cinnamon
    1/2 tsp Ground Allspice
    1 pinch of salt
    4 Tbsp Steen’s Cane Syrup

Combine all of the ingredients together.

For the glaze

1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
    1 Tbsp Bourbon
    Water (enough to make a paste that can be drizzled)

Combine the sugar and bourbon, whisk in enough water to make a glaze that can be drizzled.

• Georgysmom
    12 years ago

Tried and True Recipes:

Shrimp Creole

2 Stalks celery, chopped
    4 Cloves garlic, minced
    1 Green bell pepper, chopped
    1 C. chopped onion
    Saute above ingredients in olive oil

Add:

1/2 tsp cayenne
    1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
    2 bay leaves
    dash hot sauce (to taste)
    worcestershire sauce
    salt and pepper
    2 C. fish stock, chicken broth or water.
    2 T. tomato paste if needed for thickening

Simmer 35 min. Add 2 lb. shrimp and cook another 3 -5 min.

Blackened Cat Fish

Blackening Spice:

5 T kosher salt
    5T. paprika
    1 T. dried thyme
    1 T. black pepper
    1 T. garlic powder
    1/2 tsp.cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp. white pepper

Maquechoux

6 ears of corn (frozen kernels will do)
    2 bacon strips
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 large green pepper seeded and chopped
    2 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
    1 tsp sugar
    1/2 C. half and half
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper

Cut kernels from corn. Saute bacon crisp. Drain, crumble and set aside. Add onion and green pepper to bacon fat. Cook 5 min. Add tomato, sprinkle with sugar. Cook 5 min. Stir in corn and cream. Cook and stir occ. 10 min. Add salt and pepper. Sprinkle with bacon.

You can make King Cake , banana pudding or banana's Foster

Bananas Foster

1 qt. vanilla ice cream
    1/2 C. butter
    2/3 C. packed brown sugar
    1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
    4 medium bananas sliced
    1/3 C. light rum

Melt butter with brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook and stir till golden 3 - 5 min. Add bananas. Heat and stir till coated. Heat rum. Flame and pour over banana mixture. Spoon sauce over ice cream. Serves 6

I am making red beans and rice. It is not a T & T recipe but sounds good

Red Beans and Rice

1 lb. kidney beans
    1/4 C. olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 green pepper, chopped
    2 T. minced garlic
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    6 C. water
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 tsp. cayenne
    1 tsp. dried thyme
    1/2 tsp. dried sage
    2 T. parsley, chopped
    1 tsp. cajun seasoning
    1 lb. Andouille sausage, sliced
    4 C. water
    2 C. long grain rice

Rinse beans and soak over night. Heat oil in skillet over med. heat. Cook onion, bell pepper, garlic and celery in olive oil 3-4 min. Rinse beans and transfer to large pot with 6 C water. Stir cooked veggies into beans. Season with cayenne, thyme, sage, parsley and cajun seasonings. bring to boil and reduce to simmer. Simmer 2 1/2 hrs. Stir sausage into beans and continue to simmer 30 min. Meanwhile, cook rice. Serve beans over steamed rice.
    I'm adding ham hocks to the bean mixture when cooking.

• bob_cville
    12 years ago

My sister-in-law and I made this for a large family gathering a couple of years ago. This recipe comes out somewhat on the mild side, because several people in the gathering don't like food to be "too spicy", but it works pretty well to spice it up at the table with a few more shakes of tabasco.

JAMBALAYA

2 lb Chicken Breast (3/4" cubes)
    1 lb Honey Ham (1/2" dice)
    1 lb Hot-Italian Sausage (de-skinned and broken into pieces)
    2/3 lb Andouille-style smoked sausage
    2 lb uncooked shrimp (cleaned, de-shelled, and de-tailed, cut into thirds)
    2 large sweet yellow onions chopped into 3/4" square pieces
    2 red bell peppers (remove stems, seeds and membranes and cut into 1" by 1" pieces)
    2 yellow bell peppers
    4 cups of rice
    2 28oz cans diced tomatoes
    1 15 oz can tomato paste
    Olive oil
    10 cloves garlic
    2 tsp red pepper flakes
    1/2 tsp black pepper blend (ground)
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    4 shakes Tabasco sauce
    1 tsp thyme
    1 Tbsp chopped parsley

In one large pan, cook onion in olive oil, add thyme and 3 cloves of garlic (chopped) until onion starts to turn translucent, then add bell peppers and cook another 10 minutes or so.
    In a different large pan, cook chicken and hot Italian sausage until both are lightly browned and mostly cooked.
    Empty both pans into large pot. Stir in tomatoes (including water). Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to a simmer and stir well.
    In the chicken pan, cook Andouille and ham over medium heat for 10 minutes, then add to large pot. Crush remaining garlic and other spices except parsley into large pot to suit taste.

Cook rice separately while continuing to simmer large pot. When rice is done, remove large pot from heat and add shrimp stirring until it is cooked.

Serve over rice, adding tobasco to taste, top with a pinch of parsley.

• skeip
    12 years ago

No BBQ sauce involved but they are delicious:

NEW ORLEANS BARBECUED SHRIMP
    2 Sticks Butter
    2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
    1 Teaspoon Fresh Thyme
    1 Teaspoon Fresh Oregano
    1 Teaspoon Minced Rosemary
    1/2 Cup Amber Beer
    1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
    2 Tablespoons Crystal Hot Sauce
    2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
    1 Tablespoon Freshly ground Black Pepper
    3 Tablespoons Minced Fresh Parsley
    1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
    Cayenne Pepper, to taste
    2 Pounds shell on Shrimp

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Melt 2 tablespoons of the Butter in a heavy frying pan and saut� the Garlic until lightly browned. Add the Thyme, Oregano and Rosemary and cook for until fragrant. Deglaze the pan with the Beer, reduce heat and reduce liquid by half.

Add the remaining Butter and the rest of the ingredients except the Parsley and the Shrimp. Stir until Sauce comes together, taste to correct seasonings and add the Shrimp, tossing to coat with the sauce. Transfer to a baking sheet where the Shrimp can bake in a single layer. Place in the oven for 10 � 15 minutes. Be careful not to overbake.

Pour into a large bowl, sprinkle with the Parsley and enjoy!

Steve

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

How about crawfish boil and boudin (my tummy swoons for boudin). All from Chef Link of New Orleans.

Crawfish Boil

2 pounds salt
    8 medium onions, quartered
    10 lemons, halved
    6 heads of garlic, halved horizontally
    1 (4 1/2-pound) bag Louisiana crawfish, shrimp, and crab boil, or an equal amount of Donnie's Spice Mix (see below)
    3 pounds small red potatoes
    8 ears of corn, shucked and cut into thirds
    40 pounds medium crawfish

Donnie's Spice Mix

2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
    2 tablespoons paprika
    1 tablespoon ground white pepper
    1 tablespoon ground black pepper
    4 tablespoons chili powder
    1 tablespoon garlic powder

Preparation

Combine spices in a small bowl and store in a cool, dark place in a tightly sealed container.

Preparation of Crawfish Boil

Bring a very large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the salt, onions, lemons, garlic, and spice mix and boil until the onions and lemon soften, about 10 minutes. Add the potatoes and boil until tender when pierced with a knife, approximately 15 minutes. Add the corn, cook an additional 10 minutes, then transfer the vegetables to a colander. Drain well, then spread the corn and potatoes on a table lined with paper. Return the water to a boil, then add the crawfish, and bring back to a boil once more. Immediately turn off the heat and allow the crawfish to soak, uncovered, in the spicy water for 20 to 30 minutes.

Drain the crawfish and serve alongside the vegetables with plenty of napkins and cold beer.

A Smaller Boil:

Follow the directions above, using 5 pounds of crawfish, 1 1/4 cups salt, 1 1/4 cups Donnie's Spice Mix, 6 bay leaves, 3 halved lemons, and 1 pound each new potatoes and corn.

Boudin

2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
    1/2 pound pork liver, cut into 1-inch cubes
    1 small onion, chopped
    2 celery stalks, chopped
    1 medium poblano chile, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
    3 medium jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
    6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
    4 tablespoons kosher salt
    1 tablespoon ground white pepper
    1/2 teaspoon curing salt
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    7 cups cooked white rice
    1 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 cup chopped scallions (green and white parts)
    4 to 6 feet of sausage casings (optional), rinsed

Preparation

Combine the pork, liver, vegetables, and seasonings in a bowl and marinate for 1 hour or overnight, covered, in the refrigerator. Place the marinated mixture in a large pot and cover the meat with water (by 1 to 2 inches). Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the meat is tender, about 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Remove the pot from the heat and strain, reserving the liquid. Allow the mixture to cool slightly, then put the solids through a meat grinder set on coarse grind. (You can also chop with a knife if you don't have a meat grinder, which is what I usually do anyway.)

Place the ground meat in a large bowl. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, mix in the cooked rice, parsley, scallions, and the reserved cooking liquid. Stir vigorously for 5 minutes. When the boudin-rice mixture is first combined, it looks very wet and it's pretty spicy. Don't worry; after poaching, the rice absorbs the excess moisture and much of the spice. The wet texture and extra spice ensure that your final boudin will be moist and full of flavor.
    At this point you can feed the sausage into the casings. Poach the links gently in hot (not bubbling) water for about 10 minutes, then serve.

Alternatively, you can use the mixture as a stuffing for chicken, or roll it into "boudin balls," dredge in bread crumbs, and fry in hot oil until golden brown.

Note (from the chef):

To eat fresh, hot poached boudin, bite into the link and use your teeth and fingers to gently pull the meat out of its soft casing. (The casings are only eaten when the boudin is grilled or smoked and they become crisp.) You can also slice the boudin and tease the meat out with a fork, though utensils are not encouraged.

Some locals eat boudin with a dab of Creole mustard, a drizzle of cane syrup, a French roll, or a few crackers. But most feel that it, like a few of life's other illicit pleasures, is best enjoyed in the heat of the moment, eaten straight from the wrapper, while sitting in one's car.

• Lars
    12 years ago

Here is Alexa's recipe for Muffuletta sandwich, which is what I associate with Mardi Gras. I used to have a lot of friends who lived in the Quarter back in the 1970s, early 80s that invited me to stay with them for Mardi Gras, and so I would go and stay for one or two weeks at a time - to get the full experience - and I had several different places to stay. I never went two years in a row, however, and my friends would also visit me in San Francisco, and so it was like house swapping.

I remember going to Central Grocery on Decatur and buying Muffuletta sandwiches that were huge, and so I would have them cut into fourths to make four meals. I also used to go to a place that sold red beans and rice plus all the French bread you could eat for 60 cents. This freed up more money for me to spend in bars, which is where I ended up for a good deal of my time there. I've also been to Carnival in Vera Cruz, which is somewhat similar to New Orleans, but I never made it to Rio.

Lars

• dlynn2
    12 years ago

My traditional Mardi Gras meal ..... fried chicken. I'll be heading to Popeye's tomorrow. It's quite a drive from my house, but worth it. I'm so homesick right now from looking at pictures on Facebook of all of my friends and family at the parades the last few weeks. I 'm just going to sit home tomorrow eating my Popeye's and King Cake, and pretend I'm there with them :(

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great suggestions and recipes - thanks!!!

Not sure yet if we're inviting company tomorrow or not; of course that'll drive the menu if and when that's decided. But for tonight DW and I are alone so I kicked off Mardi Gras with two of Georgysmom's recipes: Blackened Catfish (seasoning as posted except roughly 1/5 the salt which I found to be more than plenty) and Maquechoux. I think I needed to crank up the cooktop a bit more to really blacken the catfish, but it was delicious nonetheless. We both loved the Maquechoux as well, my wife especially. Thanks "Mom!"

Coconut - Once a year, every year, I kick myself in the pants for not ordering passion fruit syrup online in advance of Mardi Gras. I've made a bunch of stops and calls today, and no one has got it. The closest I've come is "marachino cherries in passion flavored syrup." I might just resort to that.

• ynnej
    12 years ago

Luckily for me, the majority of Mardi Gras foods are vegetarian. (Not.) But I did my best to get in the spirit of things.
    Chickpea Jambalaya

Walnut Boudin Balls

Happy Mardi Gras to all of you!

• jessicavanderhoff
    12 years ago

I always wonder- do they make heatproof babies? Has anyone ever had a baby Jesus melt into the cake? And, if so, who has the next party??

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

They should just make it Parites for anyone who ate the cake Jessica!

I like Sol's Gumbo. It takes time, so after all that Hurricane tasting, you may not have the right state of mind for making it. Tropical Isle was our hangout, threw beads from the balcony, hangout. Their "hand grenade" is deadly. Tasty, but deadly. MMmm

2 medium onions, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
    1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (about 1½ cups)
    2 small stalks of celery, trimmed and chopped (1 cup)
    2 tablespoons chopped garlic
    1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste (add additional salt only toward end of cooking)
    ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper*
    1 tablespoon dried thyme, or 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
    1½ teaspoons dried oregano, or 1 tablespoon fresh
    2 tablespoons fresh basil
    ¾ cup canola oil
    1 cup AP flour, or more if needed
    5 to 6 cups homemade fish stock, but chicken stock will do**
    1 pound andouille (or other spicy sausage), sliced
    1 pound crabmeat
    2 pounds shrimp or crawfish
    Cooked rice

In a Dutch oven, brown the andouille sausage, or meat of your choosing. Remove the sausage from the Dutch oven, and set aside.

To make the roux, heat the canola oil in the same Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add the flour. Whisk constantly, until roux reaches a dark brown color, resembling chocolate buttercream. The whole process will take about 20 minutes.
    When the roux is dark and thick, add the vegetables and spices. Stir for a few more minutes to soften vegetables.

Stir the fish (or chicken) stock into the roux and vegetable mixture. Bring to a simmer. Add the sausage, and simmer with the pot mostly covered for about 1 hour.
    Gently stir in the crabmeat, and shrimp (or crawfish) during the last 3-5 minutes of cooking.

*You can substitute Kielbasa for the spicy Andouille sausage. If using the former, you might want to increase the cayenne pepper. But taste first, before adding more heat.

**Introduce flavor whenever possible. If you're out of fish stock, use chicken, or vegetable stock.

"Water? Never!" Marysol cried, recoiling in horror.

Adapted from the River Run Cookbook by Jimmy and Maya Kennedy.

Here is a link that might be useful: our beloved Sol's recipe

• unorthodoxepicure
    12 years ago

Louisiana Gumbo: The best of Cajun and Creole versions.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Unorthodox Epicure: Confessions of an Aspiring Food Snob

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Adam - I've always read that gumbo should contain either file or okra, but never both. I take no issue with you using both (I have, too) but I'm wondering your thoughts on that.

Looks delicious, by the way.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

I meant to tell y'all, there is a live webcam. Look at all the people! It was at least double that the year I went, 2000.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropical Isle's webcam

• unorthodoxepicure
    12 years ago

Foodona - I'm not sure where the okra/fil� argument orginated. But, if I had my guess, it's a 'our culture vs. your culture' type of thing. It's akin to the whole chili with/without beans debate (we discussed that here a few months ago). -- As you can see, I crossed several cultural lines, and otherwise played it safe by calling my dish Louisiana Gumbo.

I can tell you that one does not cancel out the taste of the other. I can also tell you that neither the pod nor the ground leaf are sufficient to 'over-thicken' a pot of soup. Of course, you know this, since you've used both.

I believe, by the way, that a gumbo should not be referred to as a gumbo, unless it contains okra. The reason? Because okra (called 'ngombo' and several other variations in West Africa - where the plant originated) is the soup's namesake.

adam

• Georgysmom
    12 years ago

FOAS...glad you enjoyed the recipes. The plate looks so yummy. I've changed the salt measurement on my recipe card for future use. It's always good to cut down on the salt when you can. I tried the red beans and rice recipe tonight. I cooked the beans and ham hocks for about 5 hours and mashed half the beans before putting in the sausage. I also added a couple Knorr's chicken bouillon cubes to the pot. It had a very nice flavor. Had a little "kick" to it, but not overly hot.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    12 years ago

Very nice recipes and dishes, everyone.

What I made today:

Dirty Rice (with wild rice. Thank you Teresa!)

Blackended Catfish.

Not having enough ingredients for Gumbo or Jambalaya, So I made Gumbolaya. :-)

dcarch

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

Since Mardi Gras landed on Christy's birthday this year, she got to request the food for tonight. She wanted shrimp po'boys. I made her a po'boy and just had some fried shrimp for me with remoulade. I just floured the shrimp lighty and fried. Was delish. She was a very happy camper.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

Oh, you even cut the peppers into masks DC!!! Hilariously creative.

Nudge, nudge....are you not out of wild rice yet??

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

Cafe Gumbolaya is the restaurant I missed the most when I went down after Katrina. It's still gone. Had great martinis and fantastic crawfish Étouffée. That, and Huey's Diner. Massive, delectable omelets. It's open again, but called Rosie's and I haven't been there since before Katrina. Great food in New Orleans year round!!!

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mardi Gras came and went. I had big plans for a few different courses, but those plans went the way of most elaborate weeknight plans. I ended up making a simple jambalaya. Dinner was late and we ate a lot so we didn't get to bananas foster. I didn't even take the effort to try hurricanes with the syrup from the passion fruit cherries.

Oh well, there's always next year! Thanks to all who contributed; there are some nice recipes documented here. And some great pictures!

• bob_cville
    12 years ago

On Monday my wife announced that 6 people were coming over for dinner on Tuesday. I had a pound of Mahi Mahi and a pound of shrimp that I needed to use so I decided to make a jambalaya following the recipe I had posted earlier that day, but with the mahi mahi substituted for the chicken.

The she told be that at least one and maybe two of them were vegetarians. I was focused on using the shrimp and fish, and focused on making Jambalaya so I decided to make it and then also make a pot of vegetarian jambalaya.

I looked up a half-dozen recipes and made the following synthesis of the recipes I had read. Even the non-vegetarians in the group who tried it liked it.
    I tried some, and like the overall flavor, but wasn't happy with the texture of the Tofurkey smoked sausage I used.

Note: I don't have accurate measurements for the spices I used because I left work at 4:30 P.M. and had to shop for ingredients on the way home and have both jambalayas and the rice and the cornbread casserole ready by 6:30 P.M.

Also I intended to include chick peas based on the picture ynnej included above, but forgot to buy them.

Vegetarian Jambalaya

2 medium yellow onions (chopped)
    1 zucchini (halved lengthwise and sliced)
    1 yellow squash (halved lengthwise and sliced)
    2 cans diced tomatoes (drained half-heartedly)
    1 small can tomato paste
    1 bell pepper (cut into 3/4" square pieces)
    2 stalks of celery (sliced)
    1 portobello mushroom
    1 Veggie smoked sausage (sliced) (I used Tofurkey brand)
    4 cloves crushed garlic
    1/2 tsp thyme ?
    1/2 tsp black pepper ?
    2 tsp smoked paprika ?
    2 tsp creole seasoning ?
    1 Tbsp diced pickled jalapeno
    4 shakes Frank's Red Hot sauce

Method:

Cook onion in vegetable oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
    Add thyme, black pepper, creole seasoning and paprika
    Add bell pepper, garlic, and celery, cook for another 10 minutes,
    Add diced tomato, jalapeno and red hot sauce, simmer

While that is all simmering
    for each of the veggie smoked sausage, zucchini, yellow squash and mushroom:
    lightly brown them in vegetable oil in a small frying pan and add them to the pot

Served on top of rice that was made with 50/50 water/vegetable stock.

• unorthodoxepicure
    12 years ago

Wow. Everyone's recipes look so good here. I might have to stretch the Louisiana theme for another week, or so.