Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a heavy lemon bundt cake recipe

Posted by lakemayor (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 19:12

I'm looking for a lemon bundt cake recipe that produces a heavy cake not a light fluffy textured cake.

Also, prefer it to be a made from scratch becaue I don't have any cake mixes or pudding on hand and I would like to make it tomorrow if possible.

I think I read on one of the treads that Nancy has a great recipe. I did a search but didn't come up with what I was looking fo.

Thank you - Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a heavy lemon bundt cake recipe

Here is the one I have made for years and years...it is heavy and rich and delicious. I always make the glaze and let it drip into the cake. It is very yum. Good Luck ! c

Here is a link that might be useful: Tucson Lemon cake

o

My lemon bundt cake recipe is the same as trailrunner's. I've been making it for about 20 years and can vouch for it. I must admit, though, lately I've been making another lemon pound cake recipe which is not a bundt cake but made in loaf pans. They are both very good but I prefer the loaf pan one only because my friends tend to not eat desserts as much as they use to and just want a little piece. The loaf pan cake is easier to slice and you can cut the slices in half so you don't feel as guilty treating yourself. It makes two loaves and they freeze beautifully. If you're interested, I'll post that recipe but I think you will be happy with the bundt one.

This post was edited by georgysmom on Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 22:01

o

I've been looking at a Martha Stewart Lemon Pound Cake recipe, but haven't made it yet. It says at the bottom of the recipe it can be made in a bundt pan instead of two smaller loaf pans. At the bottom of the page there is also a Meyer Lemon Pound cake recipe link. That looks good too. In any case it sounds like you want a pound cake recipe. If you already have a favorite one I'm sure you could adapt it to be lemon based.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glazed Lemon Pound Cake

o

My recipe is pretty much the same as the MS recipe linked by coconut-nj. I also make it in loaf vs bundt pans for the reason georgysmom mentions. I've noticed whenever I make a bundt cake, people take smaller slices or seem to avoid it. But when I make loaves or other "familiar" shapes...people eat it up. Isn't that funny? I think, psychologically, people must view a bundt shape as too dessertish and therefore more unhealthy...but a loaf is okay. Haha! What do I know! That wasn't your question!

The Tuscan lemon cake trailrunner linked looks good, too...I'd go over the cake twice with the glaze, though, because I like a lot of glaze on lemon cakes.

o

coconut....that's the same lemon pound cake I was referring to in my post....It's very good. Do try it. It's very easy to make also,

o

Just posting back to add that I have made the Tucson cake in 2 loaf pans with no problem.

Mom..I have noticed that too about how people dive into loaves and not the bundt shape...hmm..weird LOL !! And I too use all the glaze...can't have too much glaze :)

o

I am not a fan of the poppyseed versions of lemon cakes. I remember they were really popular years ago. I much prefer a really "lemony" cake with a dense texture.

If that is what you are hoping to achieve, here are a couple more that may be worth considering.

Lemon Yogurt Cake
2006, Barefoot Contessa at Home, All Rights Reserved

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
3 extra-large eggs
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar 1/3 c confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice 1/3 c lemon juice

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it's all incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.

When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.
For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake.

Glazed Lemon Sour Cream Cake
Posted by Beth4 04/10
From The California Cook cookbook
Serves 8-10

Note this cake may be prepared up to 3 days in advance, and kept at room temperature, tightly covered. The cake can also be wrapped tightly in aluminum foil and frozen for up to 2 months. Serve with seasonal berries and a dollop of whipped cream.

Ingredients:
1-3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs at room temperature
1 Tablespoon minced lemon zest
2 teaspoons lemon extract
1 cup sour cream
Glaze:
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup strained fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons finely chopped lemon zest

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9-inch lightweight Bundt pan. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda together in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.

2. In a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, or in a food processor fitted with the metal blade, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in the eggs, zest, and lemon extract and mix for 2 minutes.

3. Reduce the mixer to the lowest speed, add half the flour mixture, and mix until well combined. Add half the sour cream, mixing constantly, and then add the rest of the flour and sour cream, ending with the sour cream.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared Bundt pan, and bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a cake rack. Make the glaze.

5. Using a wire strainer, sift the powdered sugar into a small non-aluminum bowl. Add the juice and lemon zest, and whisk to break up any clumps.

6. Place the cake on a wax paper-lined rimmed baking sheet. Using a long skewer, poke holes in the cake almost going through the bottom at 1-inch intervals. Slowly pour the glaze over the cake, making sure it�s absorbed as you pour. Let the cake come to room temperature.

Linda

o

Okay, I made Linda (doucanoe's)recipe for the Glazed Lemon Sour Cream cake because it called for everything I had on hand except the lemon extract so I just added 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice and it turned out perfect. I gave the whole cake away to people in our park here in Florida. They loved it. It saved me from eating at least 1,000 calories and it satisfied my need for baking.

Oh, I did save two pieces for Steve and I for dinner tonight.

Thanks to everyone. I will try others when I get what I need.

o

Coconut, I made the Martha Stewart recipe you linked to. They are now on the rack cooling, waiting to be glazed. Thanks for posting the link!

photo LemonLoavesbeforeglaze_zps04f2da05.jpg

Update: Here they are with the glaze!

photo LemonLoaveswithglaze_zpsecf08c34.jpg

This post was edited by pat_t on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 18:52

o

YUM!! Oh, Pat, you've done it now. I want some!!

And Linda, thanks for those recipes. I can never have too many lemon "something" recipes! Love lemon!

o

Glad it worked our for you, Karen. It's Beth's recipe but I haven't seen her post in quite a while.

You're welcome MT4K!

Linda

o

Here I am! I've confess I've become a bit of a lurker, as I've only posted on a couple of threads lately. The last thread was the discussion on souffles, so that tells you it was a while ago! :)

I was glad to see that Linda considered my recipe good enough to post again. I've served this Glazed Sour Cream Lemon Bundt Cake many times for brunches & luncheons and it's always a winner.

Thanks Linda for offering it up!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here