SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_cville

Moqueca: A Brazilian Fish Stew

bob_cville
11 years ago

This past Saturday I went to a (late) Mardi Gras party. In the past there have usually been a couple of batches of Jambalaya and a couple of gumbo, so to make something a little different I tried a recipe for "Moqeuca" : a Brazilian Fish Stew

I was following a recipe I had made before named "Makeshift Moqueca" because it tries to adapt the recipe for the fact that the usually-called-for ingredient: dende oil is nearly impossible to find. However since I was missing some ingredients such as fresh roma tomatoes or fresh yellow/orange peppers, I had to sub canned-diced tomatoes (with green chiles) and pickled banana peppers, (picked and pickled last fall) I'm not sure if it was because of the substitutions, or (more likely) despite them, but the dish (as made below IIRC) turned out better than ever.

Modified Makeshift Moqueca (serve with rice)

1 lb small raw shrimp (peeled)
1 lb firm fish (cubed) -- Mahi Mahi or Swordfish are recommended, I used Tile fish (whatever that is)
2 medium yellow onions (chopped)
1 pint of pickled banana peppers (chopped)
3 15 oz cans diced tomatoes (drained)
1/2 tsp turmeric (for color)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp thai red curry paste
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp crushed garlic
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 fl oz lime juice
1 1/2 cans coconut milk

Peel shrimp and cube fish (skinning it if necessary) Place fish and shrimp in bowl and cover with lime juice and black pepper.

Chop onion and peppers, cook in olive oil over medium heat in large pan until onion are soft and translucent. Add turmeric, red curry paste, cayenne and garlic and cook and stir for another couple of minutes.

Drain the tomatoes and add 2 cans them to the pot, and cook for another 10-15 minutes.

Add one whole can of coconut milk, stir in and bring to a simmer.

Then add the fish and shrimp and the lime juice they were in, stir carefully so as to not break the fish pieces.

Last add the third can of diced tomatoes and just the thick coconut cream from the second can, leaving the coconut water in the can.

Place in crockpot and drive 20 miles to party.
(this step might not be necessary)

Serve with rice.

This post was edited by bob_cville on Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 21:39

Comments (15)