SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

need help with convection baking/roasting!

tetrazzini
16 years ago

Hi,

We installed our new convection range (GE Cafe) last week and I've had two bad experiences trying to use the oven. The first was using convection bake for 2 loaves of pumpkin bread. I posted on the appliances forum and was told that loaf pans aren't well suited for convection because of their high sides. The other problem is that I set the oven temp 25 degrees lower than the recipe called for, following the instructions of the manual. The loaves took more than 10 minutes longer to bake than normal.

Tonight I was short on time, so I tried convection on a whole chicken. This time I set the temperature high, to 375 degrees, tho I accidentally set the oven on convection bake instead of convection roast. I noticed this after about 20 minutes, when the chicken seemed hardly cooked at all. At that point I reset the oven to convection roast. After another 10 minutes or so progress still seemed slow, so I gave up on convection, set it to regular bake, and cranked it up to 390.

It's very frustrating! The roasting pan has sides about 2 1/2" high. Is this the problem? I didn't have a V-shaped rack like they recommend using. What's the difference between conv. bake and roast? I didn't realize there was such an adjustment to be made learning to use convection -- the manual didn't make a big deal about it. It's possible the convection feature doesn't work properly, but more likely I'm doing something wrong.

Is there a good, comprehensive source of information anyone can point me to? Or can anyone explain what I"m doing wrong?

Thank you for any help!!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES