Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any use for Parmesan rind?

Posted by PattyPeterson2208 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 18:00

I received a hunk of Parm for my birthday yesterday used some already is there any use for the tough skin. I have never had a large piece before. Was a lucky day also won a really nice prize at turkey hunting banquet. Patty

This post was edited by PattyPeterson2208 on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 18:02

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any use for Parmesan rind?

Throw them in your spaghetti sauce. They don't really melt away but flavor the sauce and then you can fish out and toss.

o

Or in soups.

o

If you can cut it up into little strips before you add it to pasta sauce or soups, it will dissolve more easily. I have a Kitchenaid cheese grater attachment that will grate hard Parmesan rind, aged three years. It takes a while, but eventually I can get almost all of it grated and then used on pasta or whatever.

Lars

o

I also use the rinds for spaghetti sauce. I asked the cheese guy at Fresh Market what he did with them; he said they threw them way. I asked him to save them for me because I used them in my sauce. Next thing I knew I saw them in the cheese case for sale.

Been doing that for a long time--my grandpa saved them from his wheels of Parmesan from his Italian grocery store to give to grandma for the weekly sauce.

o

There's a ton of cheese on that rind! Get out your microplane and work it.... May be easier to handle cut into smaller pieces.

o

I put them in stews and soups for flavor.
I throw them in the freezer to store until I need one

Linda

o

I also toss mine into the soup pot, Elery uses it when making red sauces for pasta.

Annie

o

Soups and stock, like everyone else. It is great in pasta e fagioli.

Cheryl

o

I read this article a while back and have ever since saved the rind for toast and soup.

o

This rind is a real prize. Sauce never tastes as good without it. I put a little parm in tomato sauce but nothing compares to the rind simmered in the sauce. Soups too, especially any kind of veggie soup or bean soups. But, I love to chew on it and eat it after it's been simmered to soft. Yummmmy....

Oh, I meant to say it's terrible and you should just send it to me to dispose of it,

o

I always toss a piece of Parm rind into the pot when I make my cheese sauce for mac and cheese, if I have one on hand. The more different cheeses in the sauce, the better the flavor, IMO.

o

I toss mine into a bag in the freezer and then pull out what I need when making sauces or soup.

It really adds a rich flavor. I especially like it in Ribollita...MMMMMM, good!

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here