Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixing Bowls

Posted by sue_ct (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 17:42

I have decided to do away with my rag tag stack of mixing bowls that include metal, plastic and a couple of old glass ones. I am looking for something in a set of graduated sizes, at least 3, hopefully that can go refrigerator to oven if necessary. I am currently looking at Emile Henry and Mason Cash 3 piece sets. The mason cash ones can be either the embossed or the puddin bowls. They each have advantages. I think the smooth sides will be easier to clean but the embossed will be prettier and easier to hold onto. Any experience with any of these, or others to recommend before I buy? Or should I just look for a vintage Pyrex set? I still have one from my mother's set that she used all while I was growing up. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixing Bowls

I have a stack of stainless mixing bowls...from the 2 egg size to the 4 loaves of bread size. I have had them easily 50 years and love them. They are lighter than glass or stoneware and don't chip or break.
I also have several old crock bowls that I use for other things than mixing cookies or something.

Here is a link that might be useful: stainless bowls

o

I like this Duralex set. They are not ovenproof, though. They can be used in microwave. I don't have the set - yet. Like you, I have a mish mash of bowls.

I have friends with this set and they like it very much.

Product Features

Includes 10 nesting bowls: 1 ounce, 2 ounce, 4 ounce, 6 ounce, 10 ounce, 1/2 quart, 1 quart, 1- 1/2 quart, 2-1/2 quart, 3-1/2 quart

The original French Tumbler, made by the company that invented tempered glass

Duralex is 2-1/2 times more resistant to breakage and chipping than normal glass, can also withstand sudden thermal shock: from -4 F to 212 F

Duralex glass is very hygienic: It is non-porous and does not absorb liquids, colors or flavors

Dishwasher, fridge and microwave safe. Products maintain the original look for years

Here is a link that might be useful: Duralex Set

o

Thanks, I had looked at the Duralex set, but not being oven proof was the only draw back. Metal are durable but not really what I am looking for. I have since found out that Fiesta makes an oven proof set, also. I am looking for something versatile enough to replace most or all of the bowls own with a single set. I want to be able to put them in the oven with a bread pudding or store in the fridge, from mixing a pasta salad to you name it and also be able to serve from it if I want to. A lot to ask of a product, I know, but I am hoping one of the 3 sets I have mentioned or one someone else uses might do that. Thanks for your input.

o

I like to have a few with handles and a pour spout myself.
Sometimes my glass/ceramic ones are a bit heavy when full of food if I need to pour one thing into another.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mixing bowls with handle and pour spout

o

I agree with Linda on the practicality of stainless. I got some heavy duty ones at a flea market a few years back for a few bucks; they are great. Obviously not microwaveable but otherwise pretty much indestructible. I have one really heavy stoneware bowl I use for dough--fill it with hot water for a few minutes, pour it out and dry it thoroughly, then allow dough to rise in it--but other than that, I use stainless exclusively.

One source you might consider is a restaurant supply store. Their inventory tends to be no nonsense serviceable items at good prices. If you don't have one nearby, I have ordered from Tundra supplies (etundra.com) and have been pleased with quality and service.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tundra supplies

o

Take a look at Pyrex Smart Essentials.

I feel mixing bowls should have lids, to go in the refrigerator.

dcarch

o

Sue, I'd used an assortment of mixing bowls, glass and stainless for years, and treated myself to Mason Cash a few years ago. I have the embossed edge bowls in three sizes and several of the pudding bowls too - I'll serve in the smaller pudding bowls when it's just us. OK, sometimes when it's not just us :)

I didn't buy them all at once, they do nest and that's important in my tight kitchen. I'm really pleased with them, and like the oven proof quality too. None have a spout but I can pour thin batters from them without accidents.

o

I probably have WAY more mixing bowls than ONE person should have. Have 3 pc set of Pyrex... olive green & white... shower gift back in early 70's. Have pieced together 4 piece set of Pyrex... yard sale and thrift store finds. My sister has the 4 pc set that we had growing up... probably 60 years old?? Kinda hard to believe that my stuff and the "old" stuff she has has never been broken.

Have 2 pretty big metal bowls that get used for a lot of different things. Two different sizes of Pampered Chef spouted bowls with handles.

I know I wouldn't spend BIG $$ on mixing bowls!?!

o

Forty years ago I bought two sets of stainless steel mixing bowls - I tend to buy things in pairs when they are something I know I'm going to use often.

Each is a set of three: 1-qt, 3-qt, and 5-qt. They have rings welded on, and I used to hang them on the wall to save space. Now I have space in my base Lazy Susan cab, and as they stack they don't take up that much room.

They are one of the best purchases I ever made. I use them every day. They are lightweight, strong, unbreakable and easy to clean.

I wouldn't change them out for anything.

o

Ditto the stainless nesting bowls......ditto checking at a restaurant supply company - you will get good quality at a good price.

As much as I love pottery and bowls, I don't use my big pottery bowls because they are so heavy. Don't know your age, but if you live well....you too will age, and you will appreciate lighterweight stainless bowls all the more. I keep buying small (2 cup) stainless bowls at the dollar store because I use them so often. I think I now have 4 or 5 of them.

Teresa

o

I recently decided it was time for a new set of mixing bowls. I think someone else here on the CF had recommended the Oxo mixing bowls. So I went looking.

I've been using them for a couple of months now...not too heavy, substantial, stay where you put them, I like everything about them.

I think that it pretty hard to have a one bowl serves all needs. I love nice serving bowls and rarely heat up a big bowl of anything in the microwave. It would be just my luck to have a mixing bowl in the refrigerator and need it to mix something else.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Oxo Good Grip Bowls

o

Wow. I asked for opinions, I thought on the bowls I mentioned or similar ones and instead I got told I shouldn't want them, lol. I have plastic. I have metal. What I used to use and liked were my mothers set of blue glass ovenproof pyrex from the 1960s. I con't care for the clear glass as much, but when I use bowls its the glass ones I reach for. I have the metal and avoid them, just don't care for them. I use plastic wrap or foil to cover in the refrig., I find lids often take up space and I can never find the one I am looking for, lol. If I had just one set of bowls with lids and stored them together, maybe I would use them. I find storing them to be a nuisance and finding the right lid a time waster. Maybe because I have so many different kinds of bowls, plus storage containers. I am glad everyone likes what they chose, I won't tell you that you shouldn't like them. But I have them all already, or something similar. I think the glass bowls I reach for now might be pyrex essentials, but I only have a couple of small to mid size bowls. I don't care about the microwave. I don't cook large bowls of things in the microwave either, but some people do most of their cooking in a microwave. So its not for cooking in the microwave that I am looking for new bowls.

So much for bowls. :)

I do thank everyone for sharing whatever their favorite bowls are. And a thank you to those who mentioned the particular bowls I asked about, also.

By the way, I have been a nurse for 30 years so I know about getting older. :)
Sue

o

My favorite bowls are Polish Pottery mixing bowls. They function perfectly well, i.e. not too heavy, don't chip and go in the dishwasher, but they are also pretty and I enjoy using them. I have several on display and it's nice to be able to have a good bowl readily available.
Downside, not cheap but ebay has lots of polish pottery.

o

Nice to meet a fellow polish pottery fan. :) That is what I use every day for dishes! Love the cereal bowls. I have not seen a set of nesting mixing bowls, though. I will have to keep my eyes open. I live within 10 miles of a polish pottery importers warehouse, who used to sell polish pottery on QVC. I was just there last week. :)

o

Aren't you fortunate?!
My bowls, however, are not nesting but I have several in various sizes, some quite large.

o

I splurged on the three piece set of white Emile Henry bowls and love them. I use them constantly. I prefer them to the plastic ones, the metal ones, and the 50 year old colored pyrex set, all of which are tucked away in a cabinet.

The EH set sits conveniently nested on the counter, where I vowed nothing ever would, and look great.

Go for it!!

Pricey, but to me, they have been worth every penny of their cost.

o

I love my "Pampered Chef" glass mixing/measuring/pouring bowl too. My original one shattered so I bought a knock off one for a fraction of the price - works just the same but way cheaper. I also have metal ones (which I bought when I was making an angel food cake from box) plus they are great to chill for making whipped cream. I also have a set of ceramic decorated bowls - because they were pretty. They are primarily used for salads and chips and stuff.

o

I have all kinds of bowls too, but recently I started using my old Pyrex bowls and fell in love with them again. They're not as light as steel but they're not as heavy as pottery. I had several of my mother's and a number of years ago I found the missing ones at flea markets. Do love baking bread puddings and such in the big yellow one. We baked rice pudding in it often when I was a kid. I've put most of my other bowls away and keep that set handiest. I say go with what you love and just get more of the blue ones if you need them. Ebay or Etsy, etc has them, I'm sure. I buy those shower cap looking things to cover them with in the fridge. They take up very little room.

o

I am going to take a look to see if the Emile Henry bowls are in stock in my local William Sonoma so I can see how heavy they are. They don't carry the white, but at least I could tell if I liked the shape, size and weight of them. I don't mind a little heavier than the pyrex but I am not looking for really thick, heavy bowls. I have been checking ebay, also, for the vintage pyrex ones. For some reason the blue is not as common as the mixed primary color ones, and I don't really like those as much.

o
RE: More mixing Bowls

Well, my memory failed me, lol. Mom says hers were the primary color ones with the larges bowl being yellow. Completed listings on Ebay show the set in good condition going for 60-70.00. So the Emile Henry for 79.00 isn't that different.

o

I've found that I can find the Pyrex nesting bowl sets cheaper at antique mall type stores or flea markets than on ebay. If you happen to have a nice antique shop, you may find a nice set for about $45.00(maybe even less) for those primary color ones.

o

I can find faded ones and some in bad condition, even at tag sales. I don't recall seeing a really good condition set, but if I don't like the emile henry I may ask Mom to keep a look out when she goes to tag sales this spring. I stay away from that because I have way too much stuff in my house already. I tend to succumb to too many "bargains". Not sure I want to wait that long, but maybe.

o

Sue, the Emile Henry bowls are not really heavy. I think checking them out yourself is a great idea. I find the shape VERY pleasing to my hands.
The top edge thins from the side thickness, but not to the point of being vulnerable to chipping, I think. Handling them is a FAR more pleasing tactile experience than handling any of the others I own. One of the kitchen toys that make me smile!

I bought the white ones, by the way.

Do let us know what you decide and why.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here