Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old cookbook restored

Posted by debrak2008 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 17:14

My grandmothers cookbook (1939-43) used to look like this.

The covers were detached.
 photo 001_zps3c100e33.jpg

Now it looks like this.

photo 001_zps5a403405.jpg

photo 002_zps233c9c14.jpg

Now it should last another 75 years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old cookbook restored

Wow, someone did a wonderful job restoring your grandmother's book.

~Ann

o

Looks like a nice bit of re-casing (or was it rebinding? Do tell). Now it can last another 70 years (or more).

o

They are new covers and spine. Is that rebinding? They tried to make it look as much as the original as possible without me having to pay any extra above the regular fee of $45.

o

I hope you kept the original cover.

Sally

o

Debra, that's re-casing. Rebinding would have entailed taking everything apart and resewing it (which would have cost a fortune). It's often enough to re-case old books - a new spine covering generally tightens everything up and new covers can make such a difference.

o

Did you know that The American Woman's Cookbook is the fourth best selling cookbook in history? I still have my mom's 1941 edition of it.

It's great that you preserved it so you can continue to use it. Lots of good basic recipes in there.

o

I do have the original cover but what to do with it? My mom says to toss it. On the inside of the covers there is a photo of candies. I used to stare at these as a child. On the front inside cover the photo of the candies extends to the first page which I have. A friend said she would attempt to paste the page onto the first page. I'm not sure what to do with it.

Thanks for letting me know it is called "re-casing".

ruthanna, thats cool about the book. I do not know much about it.

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 17:27

o

Debra, I have an idea for you. If you don't want to toss the cover, here's what you could do: Make a coptic-bound recipe notebook or a scrapbook and use the front and back covers for that. The technique is simple and the results can be quite impressive.

As for the spine, you could gently clean off the cardboard from the back, glue a nice picture (thin paper) onto the back instead, get it laminated and use it as a bookmark for the re-cased cookbook. I did this with the spine covering from an old book of detective stories I rebound some years ago that had some nice artwork on it and it's one of my favourite bookmarks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coptic bookbinding

o

Cool idea!

You lost me on the spine but couldn't I just drill holes in the cover as in the link you attached?

o

What a wonderful thing to do.

My Mom had a cookbook she brought with her from Germany and always used. About 10 years ago, it was falling apart. Being in the printing business, I had it re-bound for her. The front cover was gone so the bindery house created a new one for it. She was thrilled and now that she is gone, I am so glad to have. Her notes and fingerprints are all over it.

Cherish your grandmothers!

o

I already gave instructions to my husband and my daughter that if something happens to me, my daughter is to have that cookbook. Just to make sure it gets passed down.

o

You could frame the old covers in a shadow box. I would hate to see them tossed.

o

It's cool you are now able to use the book, as that's what it's for. What a wonderful memorial to your mother.

I like Kitchendetective's idea. The cover could make a great picture/wall hanging for your kitchen.

Sally

o

I'd frame it too ! I have a picture that I took of my grandmother's wonderful old kitchen. I'm going to have it made into a poster for my kitchen wall. It will be like walking into Grandma's beloved kitchen again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here