SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ynnej_gw

Garam Masala and Medjool Date Sorbet

ynnej
12 years ago

I've been having horrible luck in the dessert area lately. I'd heard about using garam masala in place of cinnamon and wanted to give that a try, but all of my tried and true recipes were failing miserably. This one was finally a success, and a delicious one at that, so I thought I'd share.

Garam Masala and Medjool Date Sorbet

1 cup water

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 tbsp corn starch

1 tbsp salted butter, or earth balance for a vegan option

1 1/2 cups pitted medjool dates (other kinds work, too, but these are my favorite)

2 cups coconut milk

1/2- 1 tbsp garam masala (I used 1 tbsp but I love garam masala)

1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Prepare a simple syrup with the water and sugars by combining both in a medium saucepan at medium-low heat. Add butter and cook until butter is melted and sugars and corn starch are fully dissolved. Let cool slightly, then pour into blender and add rest of ingredients in order shown. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, preferably overnight. Then follow instructions for your ice cream maker. Mine took 20 minutes and was luscious and creamy- like soft serve ice cream. If you prefer a firmer consistency, transfer back into airtight container and freeze for 2 hours. For best results, remove from freezer 15 minutes before serving. Shown here served with a drizzle of maple syrup.

Comments (10)

• Lars
    12 years ago

That looks like something I would like to make, and I have a bunch of dates that I wanted to use up. I was going to make date shakes with them, but this would be better since it uses coconut milk, which I also have on hand.

When did you add the cornstarch? Did you add it to the sugars before heating, or did you add it when you added the butter? I think I would probably want to add it to the white sugar, but I do not know how long you are supposed to cook it.

I have two different type of garam masala, and so I'll have to choose which one to use.

Thanks for sharing!

Lars

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

Oh gee...I could lick my screen.

• ynnej
    Original Author
    12 years ago

publickman, I added it to the pot with the sugars, water, and butter. This was my first time using my new ice cream machine and I was very pleased, as I had expected my first batch to be a disappointment. I had no idea how easy modern ice cream machines are- I'm used to the hand-churned ones.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    12 years ago

Lovely sorbet.

I may give that a try. I think I will use tapioca instead of corn starch, and inverted surgar instead of sugar.

Thanks for sharing.

dcarch

• lpinkmountain
    12 years ago

Just the fact that you MADE sorbet impresses the heck out of me! Not to mention the exotic flavor!

• ynnej
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all. Dcarch, could you please tell me why you would sub the tapioca and inverted sugar? I'm making another batch today and am wondering if I should use those instead.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    12 years ago

I found that tapioca flour is smoother and less starchy.

Inverted sugar is less likely to crystallize when frozen, making a creamier sorbet or ice cream.

dcarch

• ynnej
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Update! That's supposed to be one half to one TEASPOON garam masala. Oh my goodness!

• Lars
    12 years ago

I checked back in to this thread after reading about your avocado and wasabi ice cream. I was planning to do a taste test along the way with the garam masala anyway, however, as I was not sure how much of it I will want! Thanks for the update - one half teaspoon seems perfectly reasonable, and I can always add more, if it needs it.

I'm not sure about avocado and wasabi ice cream, but a friend made some bacon and jalapeno ice cream that I really liked. She made me swear not to reveal the recipe, but that was years ago.

Lars

• ynnej
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mmmmm jalapenos in ice cream- that sounds amazing. I'm really not that into straight-up sweetness so I always love those little savory touches