Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fish Are Jumping And The Cotton Is High

Posted by dcarch (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 25, 12 at 16:57

These were made yesterday for Good Friday.

Chilean Sea Bass and many other fish are about $30.00 a lb in NYC. So instead I went to Chinatown where they have tanks and tanks of swimming fish, and bought a live swimming tilapia, at $2.75 a lb.

It takes a little work to dress and scale a live fish, but the result is well worth the efforts.

Live, never been frozen fresh fish is much better than any "fresh" fish at whatever price. No comparision.

For dessert, I made jelly with orange flavored cotton candy.

dcarch

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fish Are Jumping And The Cotton Is High

No! Tell me you didn't hurt that guy while he was still alive DC!
Is that blood?

o

But... if you made that for Good Friday how do you plan to store it for over a month without freezing it? :-)

o

Ditto the above posts!

o

M-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-mmmm

That fish looks good ! ! !

Rusty

o

jasdip, The way to deal with a live fish is quick and simple. I have a heavy cleaver and one blow on the fish head is what it takes. As you can see, the fish is very well-done. The red is from pomagrenate sauce.

I figure that it is very important to cook live fish well-done. Not having gone thru deep freeze, there may be bugs that have not been killed.

Thanks Rusty. Those of you who go fishing and have enjoyed fresh fish that have not been frozen, will agree that there is a difference in taste.

dcarch

o

I wonder if jasdip meant the third picture. Not sauced, but still red, along the fins and the scales at the back look it too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here