Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Recipe Review - February 2013

Posted by foodonastump (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 16:55

I don't think we've had a New Recipe Review thread in a couple months. Perhaps they petered out, but I know I enjoyed reading the new things people tried so I figured I'd start one and see if we can get up some steam.

Here are two recipes I recently made, both of which are simple, quick and delicious. I think I pretty much followed the recipes, but used half onion and half fennel in the pork one.

Fennel-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Fennel Wedges Gourmet : February 2009

by Ian Knauer

The combination of fennel and roast pork is an Italian classic. Here, fennel bulbs become a tender, almost silky partner for pork, but to create another layer of flavor, we've added some crushed fennel seeds.

Yield: Makes 4 servings
Active Time: 20 min
Total Time: 45 min

1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 pound pork tenderloin
2 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed, reserving fronds
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, smashed
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste

Preheat oven to 350�F with rack in middle.

Crush fennel seeds with a mortar and pestle or wrap in a kitchen towel and crush with bottom of a heavy skillet.

Pat pork dry, then sprinkle with crushed fennel seeds and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Cut fennel bulbs lengthwise into 1/2-inch wedges.

Heat oil in a 12-inch oven-proof heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Brown pork on all sides, about 6 minutes total, then transfer to a plate. Saut� garlic and fennel wedges in skillet until fennel is golden brown, about 6 minutes. Add wine, stirring and scraping up brown bits, then stir in broth and butter. Put pork on top of fennel and transfer skillet to oven. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into center of pork registers 145 to 150�F, about 15 minutes. Transfer pork to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, transfer skillet to stovetop (handle will be hot) and boil, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid has evaporated. Stir in lemon juice and 1/4 cup chopped fennel fronds. Thinly slice pork and serve over fennel with sauce.

Spicy Sichuan-Style Lamb with Cumin Contributed by Grace Parisi
ACTIVE:
TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
SERVINGS: 4
�FAST
�STAFF-FAVORITE
Cooking pieces of lamb shoulder in a superhot cast-iron skillet makes them wonderfully browned and tender.

3 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon sugar
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/4 pounds trimmed boneless lamb shoulder, thinly sliced
1 large white onion, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
Steamed rice, for serving

In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the canola oil with the cumin, crushed red pepper, soy sauce, cornstarch, sesame oil, sugar and 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Add the lamb and onion and turn to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Heat a large cast-iron skillet until very hot. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of canola oil and swirl to coat. Add the lamb and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in the scallions and cilantro. Add the broth and cook, stirring and scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet, until the broth is evaporated, about 2 minutes. Serve with rice.

Food & Wine - Published February 2013

This post was edited by foodonastump on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 16:59

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Recipe Review - February 2013

DH went nuts over these! He called me at work the next day and asked if we could have them again that night.

Bean�s Grinder Sandwiches

INGREDIENTS

4 Hoagie Rolls
1 package Sliced Salami
1 package Sliced Ham
1 package Sliced Pepperoni
1 package Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 package Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1 Sliced Tomato (slices cut in half)
1 Sliced Green Pepper
1 jar Sliced Dill Pickles
2 Onions - diced (preferably sweet white)
1 Olive Oil
1 Salt & Pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

Place open Hoagie rolls on baking sheet. Layer Salami, Ham and Pepperoni on each open-faced bun (be sure to cover both sides of the roll with meats and cheeses). Top with shredded cheeses. Bake at 500̊ until cheese is bubbly.
Top with tomato, pickles, green peppers and onion. Drizzle olive oil (I used Italian dressing) lightly over onions. Add Salt and Pepper if desired.

o

Okay to sneak in a new to me in January recipe? Of course it is. ;-) We really enjoyed this soup and it is so quick to make - great for a weeknight dinner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tortellini Tomato Spinach Soup

o

I came across a terrific recipe on the Olive Garden site.
I made it last week and will make it again soon. Next time I'll invite company to share. Coincidentally on Monday of this week, lunch was brought in at Kim's office from Olive Garden. Her comment was, "It was similar but what you made was much better." I just followed the recipe.....

Stuffed Chicken Marsala
Prep Time:
40 min
Cook Time:
40 min
Serving Size:
Ingredients

Cheese Stuffing

1/2 cup smoked shredded cheese (provolone or gouda)

8-oz package mozzarella cheese, shredded

1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

1/2 cup breadcrumbs

1 tsp fresh garlic, minced

1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, crushed

2 Tbsp sun-dried tomato flakes (drain first if in oil)

1/3 cup green onions, thinly sliced

3/4 cup sour cream (6 oz)

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

Sauce

1 small onion, cut in half and thinly sliced lengthwise

24 fl oz Marsala wine (I used a dry sherry)

8 fl oz heavy cream

2 small containers button mushrooms, thinly sliced (6 cups)

Salt and pepper to taste

2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts

4 fl oz olive oil

2 cups all-purpose flour

Procedures
Pre-heat oven to 350�F. 1) COMBINE all cheese stuffing ingredients in a mixing bowl. 2) BUTTERFLY thickest section of chicken breasts to create 2 lobes. Pound each breast between 2 sheets of plastic wrap until �" - �" thick. 3) PLACE flattened chicken breasts on a plate and place desired amount of stuffing on one lobe of each chicken breast. Gently press stuffing down so it resembles a hockey puck. 4) FOLD over other lobe of chicken breast; does not have to seal. 5) HEAT large saut� pan over medium heat. 6) ADD olive oil and heat until shimmering. 7) PLACE flour in a shallow pan and season to taste with salt and pepper. 8) DREDGE stuffed chicken breasts in flour, shaking off excess. 9) SAUTE chicken breasts with preheated oil, cooking until each side is golden brown. 10) REMOVE chicken from pan and place in a baking dish. 11) BAKE for 10-20 minutes, or until juices run clean and center of chicken reaches 165�F. 12) ADD onions to saut� pan, and stir to loosen chicken drippings. After 2 minutes, add mushrooms and saut� until onions are translucent. 13) DEGLAZE pan with Marsala wine � make sure to incorporate drippings from bottom of pan. 14) HEAT wine to a simmer and add heavy cream. Simmer on low heat until reduced by half. 15) PLACE cooked chicken breasts on a plate and top each with onions, mushrooms and sauce. 16) SERVE with your favorite garlic mashed potato recipe.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Olive Garden Recipe

o

Thanks for posting that Fennel rubbed pork loin recipe FOAS. We just had it for dinner. I had fennel and a pork loin roast and didn't really have a plan for either one of them so it was perfect timing. The only difference I made was I also braised up some other veggies I had to use up in with the fennel. I had a rutabaga the size of a jack o lantern so I used some of that, and some carrot and potato. That fennel sauce was very delicious for the veggies! I served it with sweet and sour braised cabbage and we were very happy with our comfort meal!

My new recipe obsession this month is Dutch stamppot, which I do not follow any particular recipe for. I'm 1/4 Dutch but I never heard of it but I found the recipe while looking for things to do with kale. It is basically braised kale and mashed potatoes served with something like kielbasa on the side, but that's not how I am making it. I braise the kale and potato chunks along with a cut up kielbasa and I don't mash it in the end. Both BF and I really like it because it is a great way to eat greens! We did it once with kielbasa, another time with ground turkey and I will probably start doing it with fake meat sausage once I find a good brand. Right now the freezer is full of pork and ham from Christmas that needs to get used up so I will probably be making a lot of braised stuff flavored with ham and some traditional Dutch soups.

o

Just made this cake this afternoon. Very good...heavy and moist. Found the recipe on food.com...originally from 1978 Betty Crocker Cookbook.

Oh, and it's super easy to make, too.

Banana-Chocolate Chip Cake

CAKE
2 1/3 c. flour
1 1/3 c. sugar *
1 1/4 c. bananas, fully ripe, mashed (about 3 medium)
2/3 c. butter
2/3 c. buttermilk **
3 eggs
1 1/4 t. baking powder
1 1/4 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

* I reduced sugar to a scant 1 cup.
** I used 8 oz. of vanilla yogurt because I didn't have b'milk on hand & the yogurt needed to be used up.

Also, I dumped all the ingred. into the mixer bowl, except for the choc chips. Tossed the bananas in whole, not bothering to mash them up first.

Vanilla Butter Frosting
3 c. powdered sugar, sifted
1/3 c. butter
1 1/2 t. pure vanilla extract
2-3 T. milk

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease & flour 9 x 13 baking pan.

2. Beat all ingredients, except chocolate chips, in large mixer bowl on low speed, scraping bowl constantly for 30 seconds. Beat on high speed, scraping occasionally, 3 minutes.

3. Stir in chocolate chips, by hand.

4. Pour batter into prepared pan.

5. Bake until toothpick comes out clean, approx. 45 minutes.

6. Cool cake completely & frost w/ Vanilla Butter Frosting.

7. To make frosting, blend powdered sugar into butter.

8. Stir in vanilla & milk.

9. Beat until frosting is smooth & of spreading consistency.

o

ci lantro - I am passing that recipe along to one of my nieces. She is always looking for good cake recipes to make her boys.

o

Perfect - I have some heavily freckled bananas staring me down and have to do some baking for a fundraiser.
Jane

o

I made these for a "tiny food party" last night. I combined a couple of different recipes to come up with the final dish, and they were pretty tasty. There were only two left over and I had them cold today for lunch and they were yummy.

Feta, spinach and tomato stuffed mini peppers

2 T oil
1 medium onion, small dice
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 c rice
1 c water or stock broth
1/4 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 c dry white wine
10-12 oz. fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
1/2 c chopped seeded tomatoes (I used canned)
3/4 c crumbled feta cheese
1/2 +/- c water for baking pan
30 mini peppers

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until onion is tender, about 6 minutes, add garlic and stir until garlic is fragrant but not browned. Add rice and stir until rice is translucent, about 2 minutes, then water/stock and wine and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook until rice is almost tender, about 15 minutes. Mix in spinach. Cover and cook until rice and spinach are tender and all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes and cheese.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Cut tops from baby peppers (keep stems on tops) and reserve. Cut a IMG_2597very thin slice from bottom of each pepper so it can stand upright (don't worry if you make a hole in bottom). Scoop out and discard seeds and ribs. Fill each pepper with rice mixture and add reserved top. Arrange peppers upright in an oiled baking dish. Add water to dish and bake, uncovered until peppers are tender about 50 to 60 minutes. Transfer to serving platter. If there is leftover filling it is great on its own or use as a base for burritos.

IMG_2613

o

Teresa, I think the boys will like it. DSII said is was 'amazing' and called it 'the best cake ever'! Not quite sure about it being 'best ever' (nothing beats German Chocolate Cake in my book), but it is very good, very easy & the ingredients are relatively inexpensive.

o

I found a great deal on turkey drumsticks at the store .89/lb so went hunting for a new recipe. Emeril's turkey drumstick osso buco OH YUM and the smell is heavenly. I had the dry mushrooms and was going to simmer them in the chicken stock in stead of the wine as the wine was a little short and forgot, next time. After I browned the meat I put it all in the slow cooker when I went to work and reduced sauce after. That work well then I took out all the little tendon bones as it reduced. I even found fresh thyme under the snow Was super easy. Patty

o

Cheese and Garlic Stromboli from "The Illustrated Kitchen Bible"
Victoria Blashford-Snell, Brigitte Hafner

A stuffed loaf filled with Italian flavors. Good with salads as part of a buffet table.

Yield : Makes 1 loaf
Prep Time : 30 mins, plus rising
Cooking Time : 40 to 45 mins
Ingredients
3 2/3 cups bread flour, as needed
1 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
One 1/4 oz (7g) envelope instant yeast
2 tbsp olive oil
1 3/4 cups shredded mozzarella
8 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 cup loosely packed shredded basil
1 tbsp butter, melted
Directions
1. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add 1 cup tepid water and the oil. Stir to make a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured work surface, adding more flour as needed, about 8 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap. Let stand in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

2. Lightly oil a baking sheet. Punch down the dough. Transfer to a lightly oiled work surface and roll into a 14 x 9in rectangle. Combine the mozzarella, scallions, basil, and garlic. Spread the mixture over the dough, leaving a 1in (2.5cm) border along all sides.

3. Starting from a short end, roll up tightly. Pinch the seams closed. Place the loaf, seam side down, on the baking sheet. Cover loosely with oiled plastic wrap. Let stand in a warm place about 45 minutes, until doubled.

4. Preheat the oven to 400F (200C). Bake for about 40 minutes, or until golden and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the underside. Transfer to a wire rack, brush the top with melted butter, and let cool completely.

I made this yesterday, first bread ever! DH and I don't each much in the way of grains, but the kids (9,8,5) devoured it. I used Italian blend cheese and left out the scallions. It took about 20 min longer to brown than the recipe stated. Here is a pic of what little was left :)

o

If this is your first bread maybe I should try it. You did an awesome job!!

o

Thank you! I googled like crazy trying to figure out the best mode to use. A drawback with a fancy oven is that you have too many options. Ended up using regular bake and added a cup of water to a hot pan for some steam assist when I put in the bread. It's a great recipe for boosting one's confidence-exactly what I needed, lol!

o

FOAS, we will be trying that lamb recipe with our 4H lamb. Always looking for things to do with the shoulder.

Mabel...clipped your pepper recipe. Last year I grew Baby Belles and Gypsy peppers and had so many I didn't know what to do with them....this will be perfect.

I picked up a bag of stone-ground grits at T. Joe's and decided to make shrimp and grits, which I've never had, so I have no frame of reference. I made grits years ago and they were, well...eh. We tried this recipe from a restaurant in Chapel Hill, NC. DH says this was one of the best dinners he's had lately.

I didn't have Tabasco, so I used some homemade Portuguese red pepper sauce. And I only had frozen, cooked shrimp from Costco, so I tossed it in at the very end, along with a bit of Wondra to thicken. And no green onions, so I used red, and crumbled in a dried kale leaf for color. Not pretty, but ohso comforting...

Crook's Corner Shrimp and Grits

2 cups water
1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
3/4 cup half-and-half
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup regular grits
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
3 slices bacon
1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup flour
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup sliced green onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
lemon wedges

Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually whisk in grits; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickened; add cheddar cheese and next 4 ingredients; set aside but keep warm.

Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserve 1 tablespoon of drippings in skillet; crumble bacon and set aside.
Sprinkle shrimp with pepper and salt; dredge in flour.
Saute mushrooms in hot drippings in skillet 5 minutes, or until tender; add green onions and saute 2 minutes; add shrimp and garlic and saute 2 minutes or until shrimp are lightly brown; stir in chicken broth, lemon juice and hot sauce and cook 2 more minutes, stirring to loosen browned bits from skillet.
Divide grits into 4 large, shallow soup bowls; divide shrimp mixture into four servings and place on top of grits; top each serving with crumbled bacon and serve with lemon wedges.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crook's Corner Shrimp and Grits

o

I wanted to make a citrus cheesecake for the Valentine's Day Virtual Dinner and decided to look around at recipes since I usually just make modifications to my normal New York style cheesecake. I found several citrus recipes but they all were smaller ones made with only a pound of cheese. For Valentines I wanted something more decadent. I found this classic recipe on Food Network and modified it to make it citrus. I had planned to make some lemon curd for the top so I skipped the sour cream top, but ended up eating it plain and it was anything but plain. Came out really good so here is the recipe.Also, instead of just zest I used the juice from the Meyer Lemon and the lime. I also added a tablespoon of cornstarch to make up for the added juice.

FoodNetwork.com
Classic Cheesecake

From Food Network Kitchens

Prep Time:
15 min
Inactive Prep Time:
8 hr 0 min
Cook Time:
1 hr 10 min

Level:
Intermediate

Serves:
8 to 10 servings

This is a classic cheesecake -- velvety, rich, sweet and so satisfying. We are major fans of a thin sour cream cap on top of
cheesecakes; it's the perfect balance to this rich cake.
Ingredients
Crust:

6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Pinch fine salt

Filling:

2 pounds cream cheese, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups sour cream
6 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla paste (see cook's note) or extract
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest [used zest from 1 Meyer lemon]
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest [zest from half an orange]
[added zest from 1 lime also]
As said above I added the juice from the lemon and lime plus a tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in the juices.
Topping:

3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
Berries, optional

Directions

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F.

For the crust: Melt the butter, covered in the microwave, in a medium microwave safe bowl, or a saucepan. Brush a

9-inch spring form pan with some of the butter. Stir the remaining butter together with the crumbs, sugar, and salt. Press

the crumb mixture over the bottom of the pan, taking care to get the crust evenly into the edges. Bake until golden

brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool. Wrap the bottom and up the sides of the pan with foil and put in a roasting pan.

For the filling: Beat the cream cheese on medium speed with a hand-held mixer until smooth. Add the granulated sugar

and beat just until light and fluffy, scraping the sides of the bowl and beaters as needed. Slowly beat in the sour cream,

then eggs, vanilla and both citrus zests; take care not to over whip. Pour into the cooled crust.

Bring a medium saucepan or kettle of water to a boil. Gently place the roasting pan in the oven (don't pull the rack out of

the oven). Pour in enough hot water to come about halfway up the side of the springform pan. Bake the cheesecake for
about 1 hour and 10 minutes---the outside of the cake will set but the center will still be loose.[Mine took almost 1hour and a half]

For the topping: Stir together the sour cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Spread over the top of the cooked

cheesecake and return to the oven for 5 minutes. Turn the oven off, cook the cheesecake in the residual heat in the oven

for about1 hour. This gentle finish minimizes the risk of the dreaded crack in your cheesecake.

Remove cheesecake from the roasting pan to a rack. Run a knife around the edges and cool to room temperature. Cover

and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.

Bring cheesecake to room temperature 30 minutes before serving. Remove the springform ring. Dip a knife in warm

water, wipe dry before slicing each piece. Serve with berries, if desired.

Notes

We love vanilla bean paste. It has intense vanilla bean flavor in a convenient paste form. It's a great way to add great

flavor and distinctive vanilla flecks without having to use a whole bean.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------
My note: Do let it set in refrigerator for time suggested. It's a very creamy cheesecake.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here