SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foodonastump

New Recipe Review - February 2013

foodonastump
11 years ago

I don't think we've had a New Recipe Review thread in a couple months. Perhaps they petered out, but I know I enjoyed reading the new things people tried so I figured I'd start one and see if we can get up some steam.

Here are two recipes I recently made, both of which are simple, quick and delicious. I think I pretty much followed the recipes, but used half onion and half fennel in the pork one.

Fennel-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Fennel Wedges Gourmet : February 2009

by Ian Knauer

The combination of fennel and roast pork is an Italian classic. Here, fennel bulbs become a tender, almost silky partner for pork, but to create another layer of flavor, we've added some crushed fennel seeds.

Yield: Makes 4 servings
Active Time: 20 min
Total Time: 45 min

1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 pound pork tenderloin
2 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed, reserving fronds
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, smashed
1/4 cup dry white wine{{gwi:807}}
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste

Preheat oven to 350�F with rack in middle.

Crush fennel seeds with a mortar and pestle or wrap in a kitchen towel and crush with bottom of a heavy skillet.

Pat pork dry, then sprinkle with crushed fennel seeds and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Cut fennel bulbs lengthwise into 1/2-inch wedges.

Heat oil in a 12-inch oven-proof heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Brown pork on all sides, about 6 minutes total, then transfer to a plate. Saut� garlic and fennel wedges in skillet until fennel is golden brown, about 6 minutes. Add wine, stirring and scraping up brown bits, then stir in broth and butter. Put pork on top of fennel and transfer skillet to oven. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into center of pork registers 145 to 150�F, about 15 minutes. Transfer pork to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, transfer skillet to stovetop (handle will be hot) and boil, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid has evaporated. Stir in lemon juice and 1/4 cup chopped fennel fronds. Thinly slice pork and serve over fennel with sauce.

Spicy Sichuan-Style Lamb with Cumin Contributed by Grace Parisi
ACTIVE:
TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
SERVINGS: 4
�FAST
�STAFF-FAVORITE
Cooking pieces of lamb shoulder in a superhot cast-iron skillet makes them wonderfully browned and tender.

3 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon sugar
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/4 pounds trimmed boneless lamb shoulder, thinly sliced
1 large white onion, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
Steamed rice, for serving

In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the canola oil with the cumin, crushed red pepper, soy sauce, cornstarch, sesame oil, sugar and 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Add the lamb and onion and turn to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Heat a large cast-iron skillet until very hot. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of canola oil and swirl to coat. Add the lamb and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in the scallions and cilantro. Add the broth and cook, stirring and scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet, until the broth is evaporated, about 2 minutes. Serve with rice.

Food & Wine - Published February 2013

This post was edited by foodonastump on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 16:59

Comments (15)