Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hominy...cooking in the pressure cooker? help!

Posted by msazadi (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 08 at 16:51

I started to make some hominy for a sorta posole tonight..and Lorna let me down! I was pretty sure you could cook dried hominy in the pc but I can't find it in the two books of hers I have and the one recipe on line says ...pc for 45minutes!

Tell me that isn't so...or they'll be no hominy tonight. I have boiled the cup of dried corn in 4 cups of water, soaked it in the hot water for 2 hrs and am ready to go...

I hope.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hominy...cooking in the pressure cooker? help!

Wish I could help, but my PC manual has nothing about cooking hominy. My guess is that it might sputter and clog up the vents? Just a guess. I've never cooked it or eaten it.

Teresa

o

The husks of the corn would come off and possibly cover the vent. I had it happen one time with large dried butterbeans.

o

Hi Msazadi,

Check out this link:

http://missvickie.com/howto/grains/howtograins.html

Shelley

o

Thanks Shelley, I did see that one, and it was interesting that MsV puts hominy (white or yellow dried corn kernels) in the same category as grits or masa harina. There's a big differnence imho.

In the end, I just boiled the bejesus out of them, and they went into the posole a little chewy but ok. I think I will try the other half of the bag in the pc for the 10 minutes and see what it's like. I think I would freeze them once cooked or at least partially cooked.

I don't think we have almost anyone here on the CF from the Southwest, do we?

Maureen

o

Your welcome Maureen, One site did suggest roasting the hominy in an oven to toast them and give them a nutty flavor before cooking. I would just try pressure cooking them ten minutes at a time and see how it goes.

Shelley

o

We like hominy, but I just settle for the canned one.

o

Just wondering if anyone figured this one out because I just bought some dried hominy too! The woman I bought it from said to boil it with lime first to help shed the tough skins, rinse well, and cook for 3 hours. But I'd love to do it in the pressure cooker!

o

Page 127 of Pressure Perfect - she uses canned hominy in a Southwest Pork and Hominy Stew :-(

Another pressure cookbook I own - same thing, canned. WTF?

(And I LOVE that jam and tealight, gotta photo and post!)

o

I did find a recipe but I don't have it around right now. Let me get back to you.

They had a different consistency than the canned ones, close but not the same. I liked them but it takes forethought to have them for a posole or something. Maureen

o
help is here...

Ok, this comes from The Brown Adobe Sampler, for a Taste of New Mexico.

Posole for 6-8

12oz dried posole (they say it is not the same as hominy but very close)

DAY BEFORE
Cover posole with large quantity of water and soak overnight.

DAY OF COOKING
Drain and rinse posole. Place posole in pressure cooker with 6 cups of water
1 large onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 tsp salt
1 T oregano
3 T pure ground New Mexico red chile

Bring to pressure and gently cook for 1.5 hours.

Turn off heat and reduce pressure, and open pressure cooker.

Now this is posole flavored as the base for the actual pork posole. If you have your own recipe you want to use you could also just do the dried posole/hominy with only the water, onion and garlic but leaving out the red chile. AND I know the 1.5 hrs is a looong time. I would do 30 min and see. But then again the recipe is for dried posole, not its cousin hominy.

(Jessy, I had NO idea what you were talking about till ...duh...the light bulb went off!! Is there anything breakable or liquid in this box?? Noooooo....she said.)

o

I've never made plain hominy, but I make Mexican style pozole frequently - but only in the winter or cool summer days. Here's my recipe for plain posole, and here's my chicken version. Diana Kennedy spells it "pozole", which is the Spanish spelling. I buy the Maz Mote Pelado at a Brazilian market, but the recipes on the package are in Portuguese, which is a bit of a problem. I never use a pressure cooker, and so I can't help you with that part. My quick soak method still takes three hours, but it's less than overnight.

Lars

o

Ok, I finally did it. I cooked hominy in the pressure cooker.

I used half a bag of the dried hominy - Goya brand - and soaked it overnight. I then covered it (and filled more than half the pot) with water, brought it to pressure, and cooked it for 15 minutes. I let the pressure drop normally and the corn was only the slightest bit al dente. There was a LOT of starchy liquid some of which I added to the already simmering posole.

I used half of the hominy for that batch of stew and froze the rest. The next time I do it, I will cook the hominy first and use the liquid as the base for the posole. It gives a natural thickness to the stew and the starch cuts the heat of the chiles.

I may also just try and cook the hominy with just an hour soaking. If I am making the pork from scratch, I know I will have easily that amount of play-around time

o

Hi Maureen, I'm glad you tried the pressure cooker. If you only cooked it in the PC for 15 minutes, couldn't you just put all the ingredients for the posole in the PC and cook together for 15-18 minutes and then do a natural pressure release? What cut of pork did you use?

Also, if you want to try a shorter soak, you could cover the hominy with 2 inches of water, bring it to a boil, boil 1-2 minutes and then cover and take off the heat and let soak for an hour. That can replace an overnight soak for a lot of beans and would probably work with hominy.

I can't imagine cooking it for an hour and half though - the only thing I cook that long in the PC is bone in chicken parts for my dog. That length of time makes the bones soft enough to mash up with a wooden spoon. I would think the hominy would just be mush.

I'm saving this to try and hope you post back when you do it again. How was the stew?

Lee

o

Oh Lee, I don't recall how this one was...there isn't a posole I make that Dick doesn't scarf down. It's never quite the same but then again it almost always tastes good. You can't beat those roasted Big Jim peppers.

I too was thinking that the hominy/pork could all go in at the same time. I usually add the roasted green chiles and can of tomoatoes at the beginning too, but the frozen veggies (half a bag of the frozen for stew blend) at the end for a final simmer.

o

I know this thread has long been abandoned, but I just wanted to leave a note in case someone finds it in a search later.

I cook hominy in my pressure cooker regularly. As long as you make sure to fill it no more than half (ideally less), and add a bit of oil to the water to cut down on the bubbling, you'll be fine. I don't presoak the kernels (mostly because I rarely plan meals that far ahead). Instead, I just put a cup of dry hominy into the pressure cooker with about six cups of water or stock, bring it to 15 psi, reduce the heat, and let it cook at 15 psi for an hour to an hour-and-a-half (or more) depending on how tender I want the result. It does take a while-- most pressure cooked things are done in 20 minutes at most!-- but it's faster than an overnight or presoak and they've always turned out beautifully.

Once they're done I'll either use them in recipes that call for the canned stuff (ick), or just add additional ingredients to the pressure cooker.

o

Welcome to the Forum Savage Girl.

You can use the PC to cook anything, including very starchy food.

I use a smaller pot inside the PC to cook stuff which normally may clog the vents. Basically pressure steam the food.

Just make sure that you let the PC cool naturally, not run it under cold water.

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here