SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

New Recipe Review Feb 2012

caliloo
12 years ago

Put any new ones here! And please include any changes you make or suggestions you might have...

Thanks!

Alexa

Comments (22)

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Last night I tried a new recipe for spaghetti sauce, put 4 lbs. ground beef, tomato sauce and paste, seasonings, water, onion, etc. in a big pot all at once, gently boil for 3 hours. It was not too good, but not throw-out horrible. I will freeze it then use it for spaghetti, chili, hot dogs, etc. by doctoring it up and adding browned Italian sausage for the spaghetti, bulk sausage for the chili, more seasonings, more tomatoes, etc. Next time I will use my T&T recipe for Italian meat sauce.

You live and learn....
    Teresa

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

Another great thread...

I found the Banana Nutella bread recipe from Barbara Bakes. I made a few changes by adding 1/2 cup of dried tart cherries and replaced the sour cream with non-fat greek yogurt (Fage) to lighten it a bit more! Results? Gooey nutella swirls, plump tart cherries and a mello banana flavor. A hit for sure.

1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about three small)
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup low fat sour cream ( I used Fage Zero yougurt)
    1/4 cup butter, melted
    2 eggs

2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 t. baking powder
    1/2 t. baking soda
    1/4 t. salt
    1/2 cup Nutella

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until well blended. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; Add flour mixture to banana mixture, stirring just until moistened.

Spoon 1/2 batter into an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 3-inch loaf pan coated with baking spray with flour. Add 1/4 cup Nutella in dollops. Swirl a bit then top again with remaining batter. Add another 1/4 cup Nutella in dollops on top. Swirl again.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan, and cool completely on a wire rack. Bake mini loaves for 35 minutes or muffins for 18 minutes.

• Related Discussions

New Recipe Review, January 2012

Q

Comments (1)
    Oh my goodness, I love gouda! And my husband does, too. He grew up with very traditional American foods, so when I introduced him to gouda he couldn't believe it. "You mean there's cheeses out there that taste like this?!" He would love this dish. The paprika sounds like it would really go well with this, too. Can't wait to try this.
    ...See More

New Recipe Review - March 2012

Q

Comments (16)
    Gorgeous! Sooz, that is gorgeous. I love the way it looks. Last night, I went tropical. We had virgin Hawaiian lava flows with some steamed white rice and Jamaican Jerk chicken. I like the recipe, but I think I would follow the notes given at the bottom of the recipe, and double the dry seasoning. But it was good. Title: Jamaican Jerk Chicken Categories: Chicken, Jamaican, Barbecue Yield: 4 servings 1 tb Ground allspice 1 tb Dried thyme 1 1/2 ts Cayenne pepper 1 1/2 ts Ground sage 3/4 ts Ground nutmeg 3/4 ts Ground cinnamon 1 1/2 ts Freshly ground black pepper 2 tb Garlic powder 1 tb Sugar 2 tb Salt 1/4 c Olive oil 1/4 c Soy sauce 1/2 c Orange juice Juice of 1 lime 3/4 c White vinegar 1 Scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and finely chopped 1 c Chopped white onion 3 Green onions, finelychopped 4 Chicken breasts (6 to 8 oz-each), trimmed of fat In a large bowl, combine the allspice, thyme, cayenne pep- per, black pepper, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, garlic powder and sugar. With a wire whisk, slowly add the olive oil, soy sauce, vinegar, orange juice, and lime juice. Add the Scotch bonnet pepper, onion, and green onions and mix well. Add the chicken breasts, cover and marinate for at least 1 hour, longer if possible. Preheat an outdoor grill. Remove the breasts from the marinade and grill for 6 minutes on each side or until fully cooked. Makes 4 servings. From: Stephen Ceideburg Shared By: Leti Labell This recipe is also from Sugar Reef Caribbean Cooking by Devra Dedeaux. This recipe is not as hot as you would find in Jamaica. For that authentic flavor, double the quantity of dry spices. âÂÂJERK: This method of cooking pork and chicken dates back to the Carib-Arawak Indians who inhabited Jamaica. After capturing an animal and thoroughly cleaning and gutting it, the Indians placed it in a deep pit lined with stones and covered with green wood, which, when burned, would smoke heavily and add to the flavor. But first the carcass was 'jerked' with a sharp object to make holes, which were stuffed with a variety of spices. The holes also allowed heat to escape without loss of moisture. The results were superb. The meat was not only wonderfully spices, but moist and tender.â (Note: Sugar Reef is a restaurant in Manhattan) Here is a link that might be useful: from recipe source
    ...See More

New Recipe Review - July 2012

Q

Comments (27)
    A reader in a magazine I subscribe to sent in a recipe for a cactus garden salsa. I made it but was appalled that it called for 4 1/2 c of sugar; I couldn't figure out why, and thought the whole thing rather bland. But I liked the idea, did some searching on pectin (which I had never used), bought more ingredients & twitched the recipe around last week. It came out much better this time - enough that I'm sharing it around with friends & neighbors. Some of the ingredients have a quantity range: I used the larger amounts for more zestiness. I think I changed the recipe enough to rename it: Pickled Cactus and Jalapeno Salsa Jam Yield: 6-7 4-oz containers 1 3/4 c seeded, chopped tomatoes (red are better than orange) 3/4-1 cup nopalitos (canned marinated cactus), chopped 1/2 cup chopped onion 1/2-2/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro 1/2 cup tomato sauce 1/3-1/2 cup chopped pickled jalapeno chile peppers 1 tsp finely shredded lime peel 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice 1/4-1/2 tsp bottled hot pepper sauce 1 tsp salt 3/4 cup water 1 3/4 ounce package premium fruit powdered pectin (less or no sugar type) 1. In a large bowl stir together tomatoes, nopalitos, onion, cilantro, tomato sauce, jalapenos, lime peel, lime juice, hot pepper sauce, and salt. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. 2. In a small saucepan stir together the water and pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring occasionally, and boil for 1 minute. Pour over vegetables. Stir for 5 minutes. 3. Spoon jam into half-pint freezer containers, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw before serving. Serve over cream cheese with tortilla chips or crackers. Here is a link that might be useful: Notes on pectin half way down the screen
    ...See More

I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, March 20, 2012

Q

Comments (3)
    This is a steak and asparagus salad. The reviews all gave it 5 stars. You can use whatever greens you have on hand, and the Asian vinaigrette would be delicious on other Asian salads and as a marinade. Grilled Steak and Asparagus Salad (Fine Cooking) 1/2 Tbs. black peppercorns 1 tsp. coriander seeds 1 tsp. fennel seed Kosher salt 1 lb. thick-cut New York strip steak 1-1/2 Tbs. olive oil 1 lb. thick asparagus, trimmed Freshly ground black pepper For the vinaigrette 3 Tbs. lower-salt chicken broth; more as needed 2-1/2 Tbs. hoisin sauce 2 Tbs. olive oil 2 Tbs. white wine vinegar 1-1/2 tsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce 2 tsp. minced fresh ginger 1 tsp. Dijon or Chinese mustard 1 tsp. minced garlic Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste For the salad 4 cups upland cress or watercress 1 large mango, peeled and slivered into thin wedges, or 2 large navel oranges, peeled and sliced into thick rounds 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced and soaked briefly in ice water Daikon or radish sprouts for garnish (optional) Prepare the steak and asparagus Put the peppercorns, coriander, fennel, and 1/2 tsp. salt in a spice grinder and grind to a fine powder. Coat the steak with 1/2 Tbs. of the olive oil and then the peppercorn mixture. Set aside for at least 30 minutes and up to 1-1/2 hours. Toss the asparagus with the remaining 1 Tbs. of olive oil and season with salt and pepper; set aside. Make the vinaigrette In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and pulse 2 or 3 times to mix, adding more broth if necessary to achieve a silky consistency. Prepare a high gas or charcoal grill fire. Grill the steak until nice grill marks form, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook the steak on the second side until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the steak reads 125F for rare, about 4 minutes. Remove the steak from the grill and put on a cutting board. Tent with foil to keep warm. Let the meat rest while you grill the asparagus. Spread out the asparagus on the grill and cook, turning a couple of times, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Arrange the asparagus, cress, and mango on 4 plates or a platter. Thinly slice the steak across the grain and arrange over the salad. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and garnish with the red onion and daikon sprouts (if using).
    ...See More
  • kathleenca
    12 years ago

Glenda-al posted this Tomato Pie on the Kitchen Table last summer. I made it last week for lunch the next day, then we finished it up two days later. Very flavorful & keeps well - it doesn't get watery or lose flavor. I didn't do the egg wash on the crust.

Tomato Pie
    6 servings

3 cups chopped tomatoes
    9 inch pie shell, lightly browned, bottom pricked and egg wash.
    1/2 onion, thinly sliced (much better if you caramelize)
    2 cups Italian cheese such as Mozzarella, grated. Cheddar will work also.
    3/4 cup mayonnaise, NOT Miracle Whip
    1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/8 tsp Italian herb seasoning

Put tomatoes in colander, salt and let drain for at least 20 minutes. Squeeze with paper towels to remove as much juice as possible,
    In pie shell, place onions, then tomatoes, then top with basil.
    Mix together mayonnaise, cheese, garlic and Italian seasoning. Spread over pie
    Bake at 350 degrees for 25-45 minutes. Serve at room temperature or slightly heated.

• doucanoe
    12 years ago

Wow, that Nutella Banana Bread looks incredible!

I made this for dinner tonight. I halved the recipe for just the two of us and there was still leftovers! But....it was very, very good and I will definitely make it again! Only change I made was to use regular boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin, and to lightly saute the mushrooms before adding to the salad. I am not crazy about raw mushrooms. And next time I might top it with some toasted pine nuts or slivered almonds. Both of us really enjoyed this recipe!

Not the best picture, but....

Balsamic Chicken Cutlet over Spinach Salad with Mushrooms, Bacon and Warm Shallot Dressing
    Courtesy : Rachael Ray

1 1/2 pounds chicken breast cutlets (sometimes marked "thin cut")
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, enough to just coat the breast slices
    3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
    Grill seasoning blend, or coarse salt and pepper
    4 stems fresh rosemary, leaves stripped and finely chopped, about 2 tablespoons

Spinach Salad:

1 pound center-cut bacon, chopped into 1-inch pieces
    1 pound fresh spinach leaves, trimmed and cleaned
    8 gourmet white stuffing mushrooms, thinly sliced
    8 radishes, thinly sliced
    4 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle

Dressing:

2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus 1 tablespoon
    1 large shallot, minced
    3 rounded spoonfuls Dijon mustard
    3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Coat chicken with balsamic, EVOO, seasoning and rosemary and set aside. In a skillet, add chopped bacon � work in two batches if preparing salad for four. Brown bacon over medium-high heat, then transfer the bits to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Using center-cut bacon will cut down on the pan drippings that spatter.

Coarsely chop spinach leaves and add to salad bowl. Top with mushrooms, radishes and scallions. Season salad with salt and pepper.

Wipe out the bacon pan and return to stove, turning heat back to medium-low. Add one tablespoon EVOO for your dressing and shallots and reduce heat to medium. Saut� shallots for three minutes. Remove oil and shallots from heat.

In a bowl, combine mustard and balsamic vinegar. Slowly stream in 2/3 cup EVOO while whisking the dressing to emulsify it. Add warm shallots and toss with spinach salad to coat evenly. Add cooked bacon and toss again.
    Pre-heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken cutlets, four minutes on each side, in a single layer. Slice breasts on an angle on your cutting board once they are all out of the pan. Pile spinach salad on to dinner plate/plates. Top each salad with two sliced chicken cutlet pieces.

Linda

• caliloo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I made this one a couple of nights ago from the current Bon Appetit and it was really good. I did substitute bay scallops in, and it was a great choice (they looked much better than some of the fish options) and I used Amish Thick cut bacon instead of slab. I will absolutely make it again.

Bacon-Infused Carolina Fish Muddle
    There are two keys to making this rich, smoky stew as good as it can be: Enhance the flavor of the broth with shrimp shells, and gently simmer the shrimp and fish so as not to overcook them. If you want to skip the homemade shrimp stock, substitute 2 cups of fish stock from your fishmonger or 2 cups of bottled clam juice.
    6 servings
    Recipe by Chef Frank Stitt of Highlands Bar and Grill in Birmingham, AL

Photograph by Ditte Isager

February 2012

Ingredients
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1 pound wild American shrimp, peeled, deveined, shells reserved
    8 sprigs thyme
    4 bay leaves
    2 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes with juices
    1 pound slab bacon, cut into 1/2" cubes, or thick-cut bacon, sliced into 1/2" strips
    4 celery stalks, finely chopped
    3 carrots, finely chopped
    2 onions, finely chopped
    1 leek (white and pale-green parts only), finely chopped
    3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1/2 jalapeño (with seeds), finely chopped
    1 pound new potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2" cubes
    Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
    Hot pepper sauce (such as Cholula or Tabasco; optional)
    1 pound black or striped bass fillet, cut into 1"��"2" pieces
    1 pound black or red grouper fillet, cut into 1"��"2" pieces
    6 slices baguette, toasted
    6 cups cooked stone-ground grits or rice
    Chopped flat-leaf parsley
    Preparation
    Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shrimp shells and cook, stirring constantly, until pink. Add 3 cups water and bring to a simmer. Cook gently until liquid is reduced to 2 cups. Strain stock, discarding shells. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill stock and shrimp separately.
    Tie thyme sprigs and bay leaves into a bundle with kitchen twine; set aside. Pulse tomatoes with juices in a food processor until chunky purée forms; set aside. Heat bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium-low heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until some of fat is rendered and bacon is just beginning to crisp, 10��"15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain; reserve 2 Tbsp. bacon drippings for croutons.
    Add celery, carrots, onions, and leek to pot. Increase heat to medium and cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeño, and herb bundle; cook for 2 minutes. Add reserved tomato purée; cook, stirring often, for 20 minutes. Add shrimp stock (or, if omitting the first step, add 2 cups fish stock or clam juice) and bring to a simmer. Add potatoes and cooked bacon and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Season stew with salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce, if desired.
    Add fish and shrimp; bring to a gentle simmer. Cover; cook until fish and shrimp are just opaque in center, about 5 minutes.
    Meanwhile, brush bacon fat onto toast to make croutons. Ladle muddle into bowls over grits or rice, sprinkle with parsley, and garnish each bowl with a crouton.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bon Appetit Magazine recipe link

• angelaid
    12 years ago

Husband loved this.

ONION PIE

4 Slices Bacon
    2 C Onions
    3/4 C Swiss Cheese
    Chopped Parsley
    3 Beaten Eggs
    1-1/2 Cups half and half
    3/4 tsp Salt
    Pepper
    1/3 tsp Dry Mustard
    1 Pie Shell

Cook Bacon in large saucepan & remove
    Saute Onions in bacon grease until carmelized
    In a deep dish pie pan, place pie shell, onions, bacon, cheese & parsley. Beat together eggs, 1/2 & 34, salt pepper dry mustard and pour on top. Bake @ 375 degrees for 40-50 minutes.

• angelaid
    12 years ago

This was amazing. Very rich and satisfying. Plus it is so easy. I never thought it would be one of the best onion soups I ever had but it was certainly in the top 5.

I did not put the bread/cheese in the crockpot & broil as the recipe suggests. I did one bowl at a time. I had one bowl with the toast/cheese and one without - each was wonderful. However, it does not make 4 bowls of soup - at best 3. You would need to double the recipe.

Crockpot French Onion Soup

2 cans of beef broth
    3 T butter
    2 yellow onions
    1/2 T granulated sugar
    1/4 cup cooking sherry
    1/2 t kosher salt (you might need more if your butter isn't salted)
    slices of brown rice bread (or french bread)
    gruyere cheese (swiss could work too)

Heat your crockpot to high and plop your butter in to start melting
    slice the yellow onions into rings
    break up the onion slices with your fingers, and rub them around in the melted butter
    add the beef broth, sugar, salt, and sherry
    cook on high for 6-8 hours or low for 10-12. It takes a while for the onions to get translucent and pliable

Before serving:
    --preheat oven to the broiling option
    --toast 4 slices of the bread that you are going to use. That Trader Joe's brown rice bread needed to be toasted twice in my toaster to get to the desired crunchiness.
    --cut gruyere cheese into slices
    --put the cheese onto the toasted bread, and carefully float the bread and cheese on the top of the soup
    --remove stoneware from crockpot and place the UNCOVERED stoneware into the oven
    --broil for a minute or two--the cheese should be all melty and turn a golden color

ladle into 4 bowls.

• lpinkmountain
    12 years ago

JessyF turned me on to this recipe a couple of months ago with her "Om nom nom" post (for the Zen Foodie, lol!) Made it last night for dinner with lemon pepper rice and coleslaw with sesame ginger dressing (bottled). Topped everything with chopped peanuts. Not only delicious, but beautiful! Thanks Jessy!

Thai Pumpkin & Chicken Curry

Look for small, sweet pumpkin varieties like Sugar Pie or Cheese or substitute butternut squash. (Lpink's note: that's what I did, use butternut squash, it is one of my favorite foods!)

To prepare the pumpkin or squash, steady it on its side on a rigid cutting surface and, using a large, sharp knife, cut it in half through the stem end. (If the peel is thick, tap the knife with a mallet.) Scoop out the seeds and fibers with a large metal spoon. Finally, peel and cut as desired.

Ingredients:
    1 small pumpkin or butternut squash, about
    1 1/2 lb., halved, seeded, peeled and cut into
    bite-size cubes
    2 shallots, chopped (Lpink's notes: I used a small onion and one shallot)
    3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
    1 Tbs. Thai red curry paste
    1 can (13 1/2 fl. oz.) unsweetened coconut milk (Lpink's notes: I used half a can of lite coconut milk, and it was plenty creamy)
    2 Tbs. Asian fish sauce
    Juice of 1 lime
    2 tsp. firmly packed light brown sugar
    3 Tbs. corn or peanut oil
    1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into
    bite-size cubes (Lpink's notes: I used boneless chicken breasts, BF is a chicken breast man . . . ahem!)
    2 Tbs. slivered fresh basil, preferably Thai basil (Lpink's notes: I used about 1 TBLSP dried basil. I can't afford fresh basil and don't have access to fresh Thai basil)

Steamed rice for serving

Directions:
    Cook the pumpkin
    Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the pumpkin and boil just until barely tender, about 7 minutes. Drain well and set aside. (Lpink's notes: I sauteed and braised the squash).

Prepare the curry base
    In a blender, combine the shallots, garlic and curry paste with 2 Tbs. water and process until smooth. In a small bowl, combine the coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar and stir to dissolve the sugar.

Cook the curry
    In a wok or large fry pan over medium heat, warm 2 Tbs. of the oil. Add the chicken and sear until light brown on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a bowl.

Return the pan to medium heat and add the remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Add the curry base and cook, stirring, for about 10 seconds until fragrant. Stir in the coconut milk mixture and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and pumpkin, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the pumpkin is tender when pierced with a fork and the chicken is opaque throughout, about 5 minutes more.

Transfer the curry to a serving bowl, garnish with the basil and serve immediately with steamed rice. Serves 4.

Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Asian, by Farina Wong Kingsley (Oxmoor House, 2007).

• caliloo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I jusst made these and OHMYGAWD they are really easy and very good! Kudos to Smitten Kitchen!

Alexa

Crisp Rosemary Flatbread
    Smitten Kitchen

Nothing could be easier than making this cracker, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t tell people you slaved all day over it because they’re going to be impressed, really impressed, and I see no reason not to milk it.
    1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon chopped rosemary plus 2 (6-inch) sprigs
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup water
    1/3 cup olive oil plus more for brushing
    Flaky sea salt such as Maldon

Preheat oven to 450°F with a heavy baking sheet on rack in middle.

Stir together flour, chopped rosemary, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in center, then add water and oil and gradually stir into flour with a wooden spoon until a dough forms. Knead dough gently on a work surface 4 or 5 times.

Divide dough into 3 pieces and roll out 1 piece (keep remaining pieces covered with plastic wrap) on a sheet of parchment paper into a 10-inch round (shape can be rustic; dough should be thin).

Lightly brush top with additional oil and scatter small clusters of rosemary leaves on top, pressing in slightly. Sprinkle with sea salt. Slide round (still on parchment) onto preheated baking sheet and bake until pale golden and browned in spots, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer flatbread (discard parchment) to a rack to cool, then make 2 more rounds (1 at a time) on fresh parchment (do not oil or salt until just before baking). Break into pieces.

Flatbread can be made 2 days ahead and cooled completely, then kept in an airtight container at room temperature.

• ynnej
    12 years ago

Mmmm these all sound so good! Pumpkin and curry go so well together, I think it has to be one of my favorite combinations.

• kathleenca
    12 years ago

I ate a smoked Gouda macaroni and cheese last spring while in Charleston, SC & hunted for recipes when we returned home. I tried a couple & discarded them, but this one is a winner for me. Besides a great flavor, it keeps well - we had it twice about 3 days apart & it stayed flavorful & didn't get watery.

Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese
    8 servings

1 pound short Pasta
    4 Tablespoons Butter
    4 Tablespoons Flour
    4 cups Milk
    1/2 teaspoon Salt
    1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
    1/2 teaspoon Paprika
    2 cups Grated Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
    2 cups Grated Smoked Gouda Cheese

Cook the pasta according to package directions, set aside.
    Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Continue whisking and cook for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Whisking constantly, cook for 5 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low and stir in salt, black pepper and most of the cheese, reserving about a cup of cheese.
    Pour the pasta in a lightly greased 8 x 11 x 2 baking dish. Spoon the cheese sauce over the pasta, stirring lightly to even out the sauce in the pan. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cup of cheese and the paprika.
    Bake at 400� for 20 minutes or until bubbly.

• julier1234
    12 years ago

Last night, I made the crockpot french onion soup that angelaid posted. Very easy and delicious!

• KatieC
    12 years ago

I made my first lamb leg roast last weekend and used the leftovers for this. DH, who says he hates fruit with meat, loved it. Served it over basmati rice. My changes are in ( ).

Savory Lamb Curry

1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced (I used 4)
    3 Tbsp. butter
    2 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 Tbsp. curry powder (I used half sweet and half hot)
    3 Tbsp. flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. white pepper
    2 cups chicken stock
    1/2 cup apple cider
    1/2 cup currants (I used golden raisins)
    3 cups sliced cooked lamb (I cubed it)
    1/2 cup mango chutney (I used my own peach and jalapeno chutney)
    1/2 cup sliced toasted almonds
    Hot cooked rice

In large heavy skillet, cook apple, onion, and garlic in butter and olive oil until tender. Sprinkle with curry powder; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Add flour, salt, and pepper; cook for 3-4 minutes longer until bubbly. Then add chicken stock and apple cider; cook and stir with wire whisk until slightly thickened and bubbly.
    Stir in currants and sliced lamb. Bring back to a simmer; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes until thoroughly heated. Stir in chutney and toasted almonds and serve over hot cooked rice. Serves 6.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamb Curry

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

I made this on Friday and served with our well-done roast beef. The pic is on the WFD thread. It was very good. One that I'll make again.

Cabbage and Leeks in Cream Sauce

1/2 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
    3 large leeks, sliced
    1 large garlic clove, minced
    2 tablespoons sherry or dry white wine
    2 tablespoons water
    1 tablespoon butter
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons flour
    3/4 to 1 cup half and half or milk
    1/4 teaspoon mace, or nutmeg
    salt and pepper, to taste

Put cabbage and leeks in crock pot. Add minced garlic, sherry and water (or use 1/4 cup of chicken broth).

Dot with 1 tablespoon of butter; cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.

Melt butter in saucepan; add flour and stir until smooth and bubbling. Add cream or milk and cook over low heat until thickened. Add the mace and salt and pepper to taste. Mix into the cabbage and leek mixture.

• blueiris24
    12 years ago

I made this Pumpkin Pie Cake from Cooking Light for Valentines Day and it was excellent - very moist. I omitted the pecans due to an allergy in the family, but other than that followed the recipe:

Pumpkin Pie Cake

If you like pumpkin pie, you'll love this cake's subtle spice flavors and velvety cream cheese frosting. The slightly sweet and mild pecans add a pleasant crunch to the smooth frosting.
    Pumpkin Pie Cake

YIELD: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
    COURSE: Desserts, Cakes/Frostings

Ingredients

Cake:
    Cooking spray
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1/2 cup egg substitute
    2 large eggs
    1 (15-ounce) can unsweetened pumpkin
    2 cups all-purpose flour (about 9 ounces)
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoons pumpkin-pie spice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Frosting:
    2 tablespoons butter, softened
    1 (8-ounce) package 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
    3 cups powdered sugar
    2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
    1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
    Orange slices (optional)

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.

To prepare cake, coat 2 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray. Dust pans evenly with 2 tablespoons flour.

Combine 1 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, and oil in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 2 minutes or until well blended. Add egg substitute and eggs; beat until well blended. Add pumpkin, beating until blended.

Lightly spoon 2 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and next 3 ingredients (through salt) in a medium bowl. Gradually add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture, beating just until blended. Spoon batter into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove cake from pans; cool completely on wire rack.

To prepare frosting, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until blended (do not overbeat). Add juice, stirring until blended.

Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate. Spread 1 cup frosting over layer, and top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top of cake. Sprinkle with pecans, and garnish with orange slices, if desired.

• jude31
    12 years ago

I wish the picture with this recipe had printed. So light and fluffy and can be made a day ahead, which I did.It was such a mouthwatering one. Anyhow, I had some friends for brunch today and this dish got rave reviews and requests from all, for the recipe. I served it with steamed asparagus, Sushipup's greek salad, Jasdips rolls and AnnT's raspberry scones. Almost a total CF meal. YUM YUM!

jude

Best of Breakfast: A Taste of Connecticut's Starbuck Inn (Recipe: Lydia's Baked Eggs & Cheese Casserole)

Flavorful enough to holds its own amongst servings of fruit, bacon, sausage, potatoes, pancakes and more, this recipe can be easily adapted to spice up your day. Consider adding a small can of diced green chiles, a few pinches of crushed red pepper, or a handful of roasted veggies and you've got the makings of an entree that is sure to fulfill your stomach's desire.

Originally serving 12, I cut the recipe back to create a casserole perfect for serving 6-8. Next time you're looking for a basic egg casserole, I hope you'll consider this one. Dressed up or paired down, it's sure to please the palates of family and friends alike.

Lydia's Baked Eggs & Cheese Casserole

A "Best of" Inn Cuisine, recipe adapted from the Starbuck Inn Bed & Breakfast of Kent, Connecticut

•5 large eggs
    •1/2 cup milk
    •1 teaspoon granulated sugar
    •8 ounces (2 cups) Monterey Jack or Muenster cheese
    •2 ounces cream cheese, cubed
    •8 ounces small curd, low-fat cottage cheese
    •2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
    •1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    •1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    •pinch of fresh chives
    •salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
    •optional - 1 small can of diced green chiles, a dash of crushed red pepper, or a handful of your favorite roasted veggies
    Thoroughly spray a 1.5-quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and sugar. Add the 3 cheeses and the butter, whisking well. Add the flour, baking powder, chives, salt, pepper and optional ingredients (if desired) and whisk or stir gently to combine. Pour mixture in the greased 1.5-quart casserole dish and place in a 325 degree F oven for approximately 45 minutes (begin checking at about 40 minutes and cook until center is set and knife inserted in center comes out clean).

Note: This casserole may be assembled ahead of time (up to 1 day in advance if covered tightly with wrap) and refrigerated until baking. Remove wrap, allow casserole dish to warm at room temperature for about 15 minutes, then bake in a preheated 325 degree F oven for approximately 60 minutes if casserole goes into the oven pre-chilled.

Yield: serves 6-8

• doucanoe
    12 years ago

Made this recipe from simplyrecipes.com tonight and it is a keeper. My notes are at the bottom.

Tuscan Meatloaf with Mushroom Sauce

INGREDIENTS

2 oz dried wild mushrooms
    1 lb lean ground beef
    1 Tbsp milk
    One 2-in square of white bread, crust removed
    1 Tbsp finely chopped yellow onion
    1 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 Tbsp chopped prosciutto or unsmoked ham (I subbed pancetta because I had it on hand)
    1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 lightly beaten egg yolk
    1/2 cup unflavored bread crumbs
    4 Tbsp tomato paste
    2 Tbsp vegetable oil
    1 Tbsp butter
    1/3 cup dry white wine

METHOD

1 Soak the mushrooms in two cups of lukewarm water for half an hour or more.

2 In a bowl, break up the beef with a fork. In a small bowl, combine the milk and bread, and mash until creamy. Add the milk and bread to the meat, along with the onion, salt, pepper, prosciutto, cheese, and garlic. Mix thoroughly by hand. Mix in the lightly beaten egg yolk. Shape meat into a firm, round ball; then roll this into a salami-like loaf about two and a half inches thick. Tap with your palm to drive out any air bubbles. Roll the loaf in the bread crumbs until evenly coated.

3 Drain the mushrooms (reserving the soaking water) and rinse them several times in clean, cold water. Chop the mushrooms roughly and set aside. Strain the soaking water through a fine sieve lined with paper towels. Whisk in the tomato paste and set aside.

4 Heat the butter and vegetable oil in a Dutch oven or heavy casserole pan just big enough for the meat. Brown the meat on all sides in the pan over medium heat after the butter foam subsides. Add the wine. Increase heat to medium high. Boil wine briskly until reduced one half, turning meat carefully once or twice. Turn heat to medium low and add chopped mushrooms. Add the tomato paste mushroom water to the meat and mushrooms. Cover and cook at a simmer for 30 minutes, turning the meat once or twice.

5 Carefully remove meat to a cutting board. Allow it to cool slightly and settle. Cut into slanted slices about 3/8 of an inch thick. If the sauce seems thin, concentrate it by boiling rapidly for a few minutes. Pour a little sauce on a warm serving platter, arrange the meat slices, then cover the remainder of the sauce.
    Yield: Serves 4.

2/21/12 This was very good. I didn�t have dried mushrooms so I boiled the stems of 1/2lb fresh, then saut�ed the chopped mushroom caps and added the mushroom liquor to that broth. After browning the loaf, I think this could easily be baked by preparing and pouring the sauce over the top. All in all it was good and I will make it again.

Linda

• jude31
    12 years ago

I wish the picture with this recipe had printed. So light and fluffy and can be made a day ahead, which I did.It was such a mouthwatering one. Anyhow, I had some friends for brunch today and this dish got rave reviews and requests from all, for the recipe. I served it with steamed asparagus, Sushipup's greek salad, Jasdips rolls and AnnT's raspberry scones. Almost a total CF meal. YUM YUM!

jude

Best of Breakfast: A Taste of Connecticut's Starbuck Inn (Recipe: Lydia's Baked Eggs & Cheese Casserole)

Flavorful enough to holds its own amongst servings of fruit, bacon, sausage, potatoes, pancakes and more, this recipe can be easily adapted to spice up your day. Consider adding a small can of diced green chiles, a few pinches of crushed red pepper, or a handful of roasted veggies and you've got the makings of an entree that is sure to fulfill your stomach's desire.

Originally serving 12, I cut the recipe back to create a casserole perfect for serving 6-8. Next time you're looking for a basic egg casserole, I hope you'll consider this one. Dressed up or paired down, it's sure to please the palates of family and friends alike.

Lydia's Baked Eggs & Cheese Casserole

A "Best of" Inn Cuisine, recipe adapted from the Starbuck Inn Bed & Breakfast of Kent, Connecticut

•5 large eggs
    •1/2 cup milk
    •1 teaspoon granulated sugar
    •8 ounces (2 cups) Monterey Jack or Muenster cheese
    •2 ounces cream cheese, cubed
    •8 ounces small curd, low-fat cottage cheese
    •2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
    •1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    •1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    •pinch of fresh chives
    •salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
    •optional - 1 small can of diced green chiles, a dash of crushed red pepper, or a handful of your favorite roasted veggies
    Thoroughly spray a 1.5-quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and sugar. Add the 3 cheeses and the butter, whisking well. Add the flour, baking powder, chives, salt, pepper and optional ingredients (if desired) and whisk or stir gently to combine. Pour mixture in the greased 1.5-quart casserole dish and place in a 325 degree F oven for approximately 45 minutes (begin checking at about 40 minutes and cook until center is set and knife inserted in center comes out clean).

Note: This casserole may be assembled ahead of time (up to 1 day in advance if covered tightly with wrap) and refrigerated until baking. Remove wrap, allow casserole dish to warm at room temperature for about 15 minutes, then bake in a preheated 325 degree F oven for approximately 60 minutes if casserole goes into the oven pre-chilled.

Yield: serves 6-8

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

Courtesy of Little Raven Vineyards a homey comforting lamb dish...

Slow-Cooked Lamb Shanks in Pinot Noir.

Total time: 5 hours Hands-on Time: 35 minutes

Serves 4

Ingredients:

4 one-pound lamb shanks
    Salt
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
    2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
    4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    Juice of one lemon, save rinds
    1.5 cups Pinot Noir
    1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes
    2 sticks cinnamon
    1.5 teaspoons ginger
    1 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
    1 teaspoons fennel seeds
    3/4 cup water
    Fresh mint (optional)
    Directions:

Pat lamb shanks dry with paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Place oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, add shanks and brown on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.

Pour off any excess fat and saute onion, fennel, carrots and garlic with a large pinch of salt until the garlic is lightly toasted, about 8 to 10 minutes. Squeeze in lemon juice, toss in both lemon rinds, stir in Pinot Noir and turn heat to low.

Add tomatoes, cinnamon, ginger, coriander, fennel seeds and water. Nestle the lamb shanks in the dutch oven, cover and cook until the lamb is fork tender and falls easily off the bone, about 4 to 5 hours at 325 degrees.

Divide lamb among 4 plates and spoon the sauce on top, garnish with fresh mint. I served it over creamy mashed potatoes.

Open a bottle of the same Pinot Noir you used in preparing the dish to accompany this comforting meal.

• paprikash
    12 years ago

I made this Chicken Cacciatore from All Recipes last night and it was well received by DH. This is a keeper.

Chicken Cacciatore

extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 pound pancetta -- chopped
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
    1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
    6 chicken thighs -- with skin and bones
    1 small green pepper -- chopped
    1 small sweet onion -- diced
    1 pound baby portobello mushrooms -- sliced
    1/2 cup fresh basil -- chopped
    3 cloves garlic -- chopped
    3 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 - 28 ounce diced tomatoes -- with juice
    1/2 cup dry red wine
    rigatoni pasta
    freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
    salt and ground black pepper

Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook and stir the pancetta until it begins to turn dark brown - 5 to 8 minutes. Remove the pancetta and set aside.

Mix the flour, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes in a shallow bowl.

Press the chicken thighs into the flour mixture, tapping off any loose flour.

Brown the chicken thighs in the skillet with the oil and pancetta drippings, 8 to 10 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken thighs to a platter and keep warm.

Cook and stir the green bell pepper, sweet onion and mushrooms in the same skillet until the onion turns translucent, about 8 minutes.

Stir the basil, garlic, tomato paste, diced tomatoes with their juice and red wine into the sauce. Bring the sauce to a boil and return the chicken and pancetta to the sauce. If the sauce does not almost cover the chicken pieces, mix in more dry red wine.

Reduce heat to low and simmer the chicken and sauce until the chicken thighs are tender - 35 to 50 minutes. (I covered it)

Serve over rigatoni.

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

I made this Finish oven pancake recipe this past Sunday. It was very good, served with some tart cherry jam spread on top. I scaled the recipe back to 2 servings and added 1/4 t. vanilla extract. I think that equal parts of sugar and flour was a little sweet for me, so the next time I will cut back on the sugar just a bit. I liked this better than the Dutch Baby type of baked pancake. I used a 7" cast iron skillet to bake the dish.

Finnish Pannu Kakku

1/2 cup butter
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 eggs, beaten
    2 cups milk

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Melt the butter in a 9x13 inch pan.
    2. In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Add the beaten eggs and milk; mix well. Tilt the baking pan to coat all of the sides with butter, then pour the excess butter into the batter, and mix until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
    3. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Serve hot.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to recipe on AllRecipes.com

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I made these today and they were excellent. Will definitely make again.
    From the Penzeys catalog. It is online under Winter 2012 with a pic too.

Cherry Almond Muffins.

2 3/4 Cups flour
    4 eggs
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2-1 tsp. ALMOND EXTRACT
    1/2 tsp. PURE VANILLA EXTRACT
    1/2 tsp. salt
    11/2 Cups sugar
    11/2 Cups sour cream
    11/2 Cups sour cherries (see note)
    8 TB. (1 stick) butter, room temperature

Preheat oven to 400. Grease and flour muffin tin cups or line with paper muffin cups. Combine flour, soda and salt in a bowl and mix well. In a separate mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, ALMOND and VANILLA EXTRACTS, sour cream and dry ingredients. Mix until just moistened (overmixing will make the muffins tough). Fold in the cherries. Fill the muffin cups about 2/3 full with batter. Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the tops are lightly browned.

Note: Sour cherries can usually be found frozen, canned or dried. If frozen or canned, drain off any juice before using. If dried, chop into smaller pieces and they taste great as well!

Prep. time: 15 minutes
    Cooking time:20-25 minutes
    Yield: 24

My changes: I used baking powder instead of soda, 1 can of drained sour cherries and well dried with paper towels ( it was still 1 and 1/2 cups),
    1 teaspoon each almond and vanilla extract.
    1/3 third of the sour cream was fat free, the rest light.
    I got 18 very regular sized muffins.