SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2cook4six

Salads are not my forte...help me with some great recipes

loves2cook4six
13 years ago

I have one friend who throws together the most delicious combination of ingredients and tops it off with awesome homemade dressings.

Me, blahhhh.

We're going to mutual friends for dinner next week and when I offered to bring something, I was told...a salad.

So share your favorite leaf based salads with me. Make me look goooooood.

Comments (36)

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Do you know what's being served?

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not sure but I'm making myself a whole category of salads for future reference so post away.

Our hostess usually serves chicken in sauce. (she's not very adventurous) but everything is solidly always good. :)

• Related Discussions

RECIPE: Salads, Salads, Salads

Q

Comments (1)
    Posted in the wrong forum! Sorry! I'll post this in the cooking forum.
    ...See More

RECIPE: Potato Salad recipe

Q

Comments (6)
    This is slightly different each time because depending on the number of people the amounts changes a bit...The recipe is my mother's but with her blessing she approves of the addition of the shrimp. 1. red or white potates about 2-3 pounds. Scrub skins and put in 3 quart pan. Fill pan halfway water and add 2 tsp of salt. Boil until just tender.(do not over-cook) cool then peel if you wish, then cube (medium) the potatoes and put in a very large mixing bowl or 5 quart pan works great for mixing. 2. Chop 5 ribs of celery and add to potatoes. 3. Chop 1 large dill pickle and add. 4. Add 8 chopped hard boiled eggs. 5. Add 1/3 cup of finely chopped sweet onion or more/less to taste. 6. Add 2 small cans of med shrimp drained (this is optional), but if you like shrimp and potato salad you will love the flavors when combined. 7. Lightly toss all of the above. 8. Add 1-2 cups of mayonaise or half mayonaise/half Miracle whip. This is a tastes isssue...I prefer to use Hellman's (Best Foods) mayo only but add mustard 1-2 Tablespoons. 9. With the above add salt and pepper to taste as you mix, using a clean tasting spoon each time. 9. Mix together lightly but thoroughly. Add more mayo if needed. Put in bowl and slice two hard boiled eggs to decorate. Sprinkle paprika on top. Cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!
    ...See More

RECIPE: What is your favorite Salad dressing recipes?

Q

Comments (7)
    Got all these from the cooking forum and they are favorites! Made the spinach salad from Ann for a luncheon, it was a very big hit! Vittorio's Spinach Salad from Ann T Vittorio's was a restaurant in Toronto that we use to go to years ago. Salad isn't something that I would usually order but I loved his. This is my recreation of his recipe. Salad: Washed and dried baby spinach 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled 4 or 5 cleaned mushrooms, sliced 1 can of artichoke hearts halved or quartered 3 Roma tomatoes, quartered 2 chopped green onions Kalamata olives Dressing: 1/4 teaspoon tarragon 1/2 clove of garlic 2 or 3 tablespoons wine vinegar 1/2 cup homemade mayo or Hellmans salt and pepper Place spinach in a large salad bowl. Decorate with eggs, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, tomatoes and green onions and olives. Drizzle with dressing and toss. Can be made on individual plates as well. Dressing: Soak tarragon and garlic in vinegar. Add salt to dissolve. Mix vinegar mixture into mayonnaise and adjust seasoning to taste. ------------------------------------------- Nancy's "55" Salad Dressing (wizardnm) 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic 1 teaspoon dry mustard 1/4 cup vinegar 1/4 cup water 2 teaspoons salt 1/2 cup sugar 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper 1/2 teaspoon celery seed (optional) 1 cup vegetable oil Combine garlic, dry mustard, vinegar and water in a food processor or blender. Pulse to combine. Add salt, sugar, peppers, and celery seed (if using) With processor or blender running, SLOWLY add vegetable oil in a thin stream. After oil is added, continue to process another 3 minutes. --------------------------------------------------------- Creamy Roquefort Dressing (mqmoi) 1/2 cup mayonnaise 1 large shallot, minced 1 tablespoon Sherry wine vinegar 1 large garlic clove, minced 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard 1/3 cup crumbled Roquefort cheese 3 tablespoons whipping cream Whisk first 5 ingredients in small bowl to blend. Fold in Roquefort cheese and cream. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
    ...See More

RECIPE: I made some great low sugar jam!

Q

Comments (3)
    I don't remember the name of the pectin I used, but it is NOT Smucker's. I still have the Smucker's in my pantry and checked their recipe and it's different. All I remember, is that it was a name brand. I'll buy some more pectin this weekend in case I find some fruit on sale. All the pectin's are in the same place in a grocery store. Just go to a big store so they'll have more than one brand. The Smucker's box says "Fruit Pectin - no sugar needed" and the brand I used said about the same thing. Hope you have fun like I did. Monica
    ...See More
  • caliloo
    13 years ago

Here are a couple that are sure fire hits for me. If none of them will work for this particular event, maybe Woodies Layered Salad would be the answer.

Enjoy!

Alexa

Greek Country Salad
    2 c torn romaine leaves
    1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
    1 medium tomato cut in wedges
    1/2 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
    1/2 medium green pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
    12 pitted black olives, sliced
    1 T extra virgin olive oil
    2 tsp capers, drained & rinsed
    1 tsp white wine vinegar
    1 tsp fresh lemon juice
    1/2 tsp chopped fresh dill
    2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
    In medium salad bowl, combine lettuce, onion, tomato, cucumber, green pepper and olives. Refrigerate until well chilled.
    In small bowl, combine oil, capers, vinegar, lemon juice and dill, mixing well. Toss with salad ingredients and top with feta cheese. Serve immediately.

55 SALAD AND DRESSING
    (from ???? on the CF)
    My favorite dressing on a salad of baby greens, red onion, toasted walnuts, sliced pears (fresh when available), dried cherries and crumbled blue cheese. Also good as a main dish salad dressing with chicken strips and mandarin oranges, sliced celery and rice noodles on a bed of lettuce.
    1½ tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp dry mustard
    ¼ C vinegar
    ¼ C water
    2 tsp salt
    ½ C sugar
    ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
    ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
    ½ tsp celery seed (optional)
    1 C veg. oil
    Combine garlic, dry mustard, vinegar and water in a food processor or blender. Pulse to combine.
    Add salt, sugar, peppers, and celery seed (if using)
    With processor or blender running, SLOWLY add vegetable oil in a thin stream. After oil is added, continue to process another 3 minutes.

Frito Salad

Servings: 11

Ingredients:
    1 (10 ounce) package prewashed and cut lettuce
    1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar and Monterey cheese blend
    1 red onion, chopped
    1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    2 tomatoes, chopped
    1 (16 ounce) package corn chips
    1 (16 ounce) bottle Catalina salad dressing

Directions:
    1. In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, cheese, pinto beans, black beans, onion and tomatoes.
    2. Add the corn chips and enough dressing to coat; toss and serve.

• lowspark
    13 years ago

I love salad and we eat salad with dinner at least 5 times a week. I don't have a recipe for the salad itself but I like variety so I throw in some combination of the following, depending on what I have in stock.

Lettuce (this can be iceberg, romain, etc. or I use spring mix)
    Spinach leaves
    Chopped purple cabbage
    green onions
    fresh broccoli
    fresh cauliflower
    carrot strips (use the peeler to make thin strips)

Whatever fresh veggies I have in the house, whatever fresh veggies look good and are reasonably priced at the grocery store.

And of course, tomatoes.

In addition, I like to throw in chopped apples, pears. raisins or dried cherries.

My go-to E-Z salad dressing is a mixture of fresh lime or lemon juice, oil and salt.

From Linda (doucanoe) I adapted this lovely dressing recipe which she posted with a pear salad.
    1/4 cup evoo
    2-3 Tbsp flavored vinegar (I've used balsamic, pomegranite, and TJ's orange-muscat -- not all at the same time!)
    2 Tbsp sugar
    salt & pepper

I also have a feta cheese dressing at home that I can post tonight. It's creamy wonderful.

• lindac
    13 years ago

I would make an assortment of greens...mesculun is always good, ior Romain and spinach and bibb...
    Then make baggies of "stuff" to take along and either toss in or plate each salad and put the embellishments on top.
    Among enbellishments I like are:
    skinny rings of sweet onion, skinny slices of red pepper, hard boiled egg slices, skinny julienne pieces of cheese, swiss, gruyere, edam...
    Calamata olives...without the pit and I like dry bread cubes for crutons...less greasy, or split pita's sprayed with an oliveoil cooking spray and sprinkled with seasoned salt.
    On that I would put a vinaigrette dressing...here's one of my favorites.
    2 T dijon mustard
    2 T honey
    2 cloves crushed garlic
    Whisk together and add
    1/4 cup white wine vinegar
    1 T balsamic vinegar
    and 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil.

Another favorite is an assortment of greens as above, skinny slices of sweet onion, thin slices of half an apple cored and blue cheese dressing'Here's my favorite.
    Donn's Delight

2 oz. Maytag blue cheese
    1/2 cup of mayonaise ( I use Kraft)
    3 T. milk or cream
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp dried parsley
    2 tsp lemon juice
    2 tsp vinegar
    1 tsp grated fresh onion ( make that heaping!)
    1/2 tsp worchestershire
    1/2 tsp horseradish
    1 clove of garlic, crushed.
    Mix. ( I use an electric mixer or a fork so as to leave lumps) and serve over salad of your choice. Serves about 4.
    Recipe may be doubled....or quadrupled.

IMHO....leafy salads are all about the dressing and a few artfull add ins...add ins can be all sorts of stuff...canned or cooked beans, olives, fruit bits, nuts, bits of other veggies, unusual croutons, I have used broken up bagel chips and pretzels, tortillas and fishy crackers.

I'll paste a couple of more dressings from my file while I am pasting!!

Sesame Dressing 1/2 cup corn syrup
    3 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
    2 tablespoons pineapple juice
    4 teaspoons granulated sugar
    1 tablespoon light brown sugar
    1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 teaspoon sesame oil
    1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon paprika
    dash garlic powder dash
    ground black pepper
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
    Whisk all together but the seeds and the oil....add the oiol whisking constantly and whisk in the seeds.

Fran Lozano's zesty blue dressing
    4 oz Maytag blue cheese
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1 tsp grated lemon peel
    juice of � a lemon
    1 cup sour cream
    1 clove minced garlic.
    Mash cheese with fork and mix in oil until creamy. add remaining
    ingredients.
    Good luck....remember...use a mild vinegar.....and I find most people, even if they say they don't, will love a salad with either a sweet dressing or some sweet fruit added.
    Linda C

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Alexa, that's my dressing...I'm glad you love it. I make it all the time.

I also make a killer 1000 Island...but that is pretty old fashioned, so I won't post unless someone wants it.

Nancy

• chase_gw
    13 years ago

Wish I liked salads more than I do I find them especially difficult this time of year. However this one is a great "winter salad" and always a pleaser.

Susan's Salad and Dressing

2 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar
    2 TBSP EVOO
    1/4 cup Kraft Raspberry Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
    2 TBSP Red Wine Vinegar

Combine and shake well.

Toss just before serving with mixed baby greens, diced red pepper, diced red onion, toasted almond slices and dried cranberries.

Top with crumbed feta.

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

Nancy, I want your salad dressing please! 1000 Island is one of my favorites, and I'd love a home-made version.

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

Yes! Post, Nancy, Post!!
    1000 is my DH's favorite and I usually just wing it.

I'd love a T&T recipe.

The Balsamic Dressing from lexculinara is my favorite!

Balsamic Salad Dressing

1 cup olive oil (or parmesan infused olive oil)
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    6 tablespoons good quality grated parmesan cheese
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    6 whole cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tsp. garlic powder)
    2 tablespoons ketchup (can use a little more to make it thicker)
    1 + 1/2 teaspoons salt
    Mix everything in a jar and shake. Enjoy !!!

Posted by Diana55 (cooking forum)
    Recipe from: blog - lex Culinaria

Deanna

• triciae
    13 years ago

Another here who loves salads but just wing it usually. Many times we just use oil/vinegar. I'm copying & pasting lots of dressings here...thanks from me also.

We try to incorporate nuts/seeds into our diet daily & since we eat frequent salads I usually sprinkle a few raw sunflower seeds, pepitas, or slivered almonds on top just before serving. Sometimes, even raw peanuts depending on WFD.

/tricia

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Loving these. Thanks. You know, I never thought it was the add-ins taht made a salad but now I am coming to realise it is.

Clipping like crazy. Keep them coming.

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

I can vouch for that Greek Country Salad, it's wonderful. That same recipe is in one of my WW cookbooks and I make it all the time.

Here is the rest of the pear salad recipe that May mentioned. It's from someone here but I have no idea who. I got it from the Salad Cookbook that Sherry put together years and years ago!

Party Pear Salad

4 c. mixed greens
    2 pears
    1/2 c. craisins
    1/2 c. toasted walnuts or pecans

Dressing:
    2 T. white wine vinegar or Balsamic
    2 T. Sugar
    1/4 c. vegetable oil
    1/2 t. salt
    1/4 t. pepper

For dressing, combine vinegar and sugar; whisk oil into mixture and add salt and pepper. Set aside.

Wash and thinly slice pears, leaving skin on. Place into dressing mixture to retain color until ready to serve. Add craisins to soften. Place 1 cup of lettuce on each plate, top with dressing and fruit mixture, sprinkle with nuts.

Along the same lines but deliciously different. From a friend of mine I used to work with. Bev�s Winter Salad I large head romaine lettuce 1 c shredded swiss cheese 1 c cashews, toasted 1/4 c dried cranberries 1 apple, chopped 1 pear, chopped Toss salad ingredients together. Dressing: 1/2 c sugar 1/3 c lemon juice 2 tsp chopped red onion 1 tsp Dijon mustard 1/2 tsp salt 1 T poppyseeds 2/3 c vegetable oil (not olive) Mix dressing ingredients together, toss with salad just before serving.

We used to serve this at the hotel, it can be very elegant (well, for a salad, anyway)! LOL

Strawberry Spinach Salad with Poppyseed Dressing
    Source: St. Paul Hotel

Dressing:

1 c sugar
    1/4 c poppyseeds
    1/2 c Sesame seeds
    1 c salad oil
    1/2 c raspberry vinegar
    dash paprika
    1 T worcestershire sauce
    1 T minced onion

Combine sugar and vinegar and whisk until sugar is dissolved. Add remaining ingredients and chill well. Serve over baby spinach leaves and sliced strawberries. Garnish with brie cheese wedges.
    My note: you may want to half this recipe, as it makes a lot of dressing.

Linda

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

My 1000 Island recipe is part of a recipe for a Crab Louie Salad which I also love, especially when I do a dinner for guests. Sometimes I don't add the whipped cream and I have used ketchup instead of the chili sauce but prefer the chili sauce.

Crab Louie Salad

Fun served in a stemmed glass.

Lettuce, sliced 1/4-inch thick
    Fresh Dungeness crabmeat
    Cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced finely
    Tomatoes, seeded, diced finely
    Green onion including green tops, sliced
    Thousand Island Dressing (recipe follows)
    Dust top with paprika
    Fresh chives for garnish

Build the crab Louie in stemmed glasses with lettuce, crabmeat, cucumber, tomato and green onion. Top with Thousand Island dressing, dust with paprika, add chives and serve as a salad course for an elegant dinner party or serve in a large bowl for a luncheon.

Thousand Island Dressing

1 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup Chili Sauce
    1/4 cup red or green pepper, chopped finely
    1 egg, hard boiled and chopped finely
    2 tablespoons green onions, sliced, including green tops
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped to soft peaks
    Salt and pepper, to taste

Mix ingredients together, cover and chill for flavors to develop.

Nancy

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Here is one I make sometimes. It would be difficult to bring to another's house, but for future reference - it is a salmon-grapefruit-salmon skin salad with grapefruit vinagrette.

The leaf is usually baby spinach. I like to cut them as follows: stack 10 or so leaves, roll them into a cylinder, and slice the cylinder cross-wise (imagine slicing a salami), producing lots of uniform curly strips. It is pretty and eatable. I think this would be called a julienne cut, but am not sure. Sounds like a lot of work, but each person only needs two or three ''stacks''.

Prepare the grapefruit segments. Ideally, use pink grapefruit. It is important to have no membrane or bitter white skin on the segments. Slice them using the method shown here: http://foodperson.com/2008/12/15/grapefruit-sections-without-membranes/
    Squeeze the juice from the remains of the grapefruit and save for the dressing. If the grapefruit is too bitter, sweeten with a little sugar or simple syrup.

The dressing is a grapefruit vinaigrette. I do it by feel but here is a recipe I pulled off the net:
    - 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
    - 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice
    - 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
    - 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    - 1 teaspoon honey
    - 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
    - salt and pepper, to taste
    (- I would add sugar to taste, as well)

Arrange the spinach on individual serving plates, and hold the grapefruit segments and dressing ready. Now prepare the salmon.

For the salmon, you want a very fresh filet with the skin. Place on cutting board, skin down, and using a long slicer held flat/parallel to the board, cut off the skin in one piece. 1/8'' of flesh can be left on the skin, if there is more then cut/scrape it off. Pat the skin dry with paper towels, dust with flour or cornstarch, sprinkle both sides with salt, and set aside.

Turn the filet over, cut off the darker strip of flesh along the centerline of the filet - discard or feed to cats (My cat hangs out in the kitchen when I cook.) Cut the filet cross-wise into 1 1/2'' wide sections. Rub with oil and sprinkle with salt.

Choose a cast iron pan that is big enough to fit the skin, and heat to very hot. A non-stick pan will work, not as well. Melt a pat of butter. Place the salmon pieces in the pan and cook on highest heat, without moving or flipping the pieces, until just the bottom 1/4'' of the piece is cooked - has turned light/white color - maybe 1 or 2 minutes. Remove the pieces to a warm plate, cooked side up. Hopefully the cooked side is a bit brown and crusty, that's why we use butter and a very hot cast iron pan. If not, you can use a propane torch to help it achieve brown-ness, but don't return the salmon to the pan - you do not want it to be any more cooked. It should be mostly raw with one cooked side.

Reduce heat to medium-high, coat the pan with about 1 tspp of oil or 1 pat of butter, place the salmon skin in the pan with the skin side down. Take a pot which is slightly smaller in diameter than the pan, oil the bottom of the pot, and place the pot on top of the skin, to press and hold it flat. Cook the skin for 2 minutes, remove the pot, lift a corner of the skin to check. You want the skin crisp and golden brown, which will probably require another 1-2 minutes of cooking. Do not use the pot again, the skin will stay flat. When the skin is crisp and slightly browned, turn it over and cook for a minute to cook any flesh on the other side. Remove skin, pat off residual oil with paper towels. Place skin on a dry cutting board and cut into thin batons, about 2'' long and no more than 1/4'' wide.

Finally, assemble the salad. Place grapefruit segments on the spinach. Lightly dress the salad. Place the salmon pieces on top. Sprinkle with fresh cracked pepper. Garnish with batons of crisp salmon skin.

Serve promptly. The skin will start to lose its crispness in about 10 minutes.

It is also good made with blood oranges.

• ruthanna_gw
    13 years ago

When I make a tossed salad with greens, my "secret ingredient" is chopped celery leaves. You'd be surprised how they perk up the flavor.

This is my favorite winter salad. It goes with just about anything.

LEMON SPINACH SALAD

1/2 lb. sliced mushrooms
    1 lb. young spinach leaves, washed and stemmed
    6 Tbs. olive oil
    2 Tbs. lemon juice
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
    1 clove garlic, slivered
    Finely grated rind of 1/2 lemon
    1 hard cooked egg
    Freshly ground black pepper

Wash mushrooms and combine with spinach. Chill. Mix oil, lemon juice, salt, cheese and garlic. Chop up egg and sprinkle over salad. Add lemon rind to salad and grind pepper on top. Pour dressing over salad right before serving and toss.

Note: Best if dressing is made about an hour ahead of time and garlic pieces removed before pouring on salad. Crumbled bacon pieces can be added if desired.

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone

Last night I was inspired to make a salad. I mixed Spring greens with butter lettuce, added sliced cucumber and sprinkled over chopped spiced almonds, cranberries and mandarin oranges. I made a very simple vinaigrette with First Fruit Hoji Olive oil (2 parts) and Blueberry Ginger Balsamic Vinegar (1 Part).

Tossed it all together. OMG! It was delicious.

Still trying to decide which of the great looking ones posted here to try next week.

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Err, sorry, that cut (of the baby spinach) is called a ''chiffonade''. Just came to me, must be getting senile.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

This is a wonderful, light salad that my family requests whenever we are having a gathering for a meal.

Lettuce with Oranges and Grapes

1 head leaf lettuce
    1 cup halved seedless grapes
    1 11 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained
    1/2 cup chopped green onions
    1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
    1 avocado, sliced (opt.)

2 TB chopped parsley, as garnish

Dressing:
    2/3 cup oil (I use part veg. oil and part light olive oil)
    1/3 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup sugar
    3 TB red wine vinegar
    salt to taste
    dash dry mustard
    1 t. celery seeds (opt.)

Wash lettuce and spin dry; tear into bite size pieces. Combine lettuce, grapes, orange sections, onions, avocado if using, half of the almonds in a large serving bowl.

Combine dressing ingredients in a bowl; whisk well to blend; pour some of dressing on salad and toss well. Pour on more dressing if needed (I never use all the dressing). Sprinkle with parsley and rest of almonds. Serve right away. Makes 8-10 servings.

Another good salad:

Harriet's Sensational Salad

2 heads lettuce, leaf, red, romaine
    1 bunch parsley, chopped

1 cup romano cheese, grated
    1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled

Dressing:
    1/2 cup salad oil
    1/2 cup olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, pressed
    2 1/2 TB lemon juice
    1 1/2 TB red wine vinegar
    3/4 t. salt

Mix dressing ingredients well. Tear lettuce into bite size pieces. Sprinkle parsley onto lettuce in a big serving bowl. Pour dressing over lettuce and toss to coat well. Sprinkle with the cheeses. Toss again. Grind fresh pepper over the salad. Serve right away. (does not keep well overnight) serves 10

• compumom
    13 years ago

Loads of good ideas here for you, my 2 cents is to leave nuts or seeds on the side for others to sprinkle in at will, or at just ask if anyone has a problem before adding them at the time of serving. (spoken as someone who wouldn't be able to eat the salad if the were included).

My DH loves a tossed salad if it has avocado and feta cheese as part of the mix. I often add shelled edamame, Persian cukes, red cabbage slices and HIS favorite, bibb lettuce. If I have time, ingredients and the inclination, I may throw in minced or shaved carrot, marinated chopped artichoke hearts and kalamata olives.

• lowspark
    13 years ago

Here's the feta dressing I just made for the first time recently. It was delicious!

Creamy Feta Vinaigrette
    Recipe by Melissa Rubel Jacobson (Food & Wine Magazine)

3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (3/4 cup)
    3 - 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

In a food processor, pulse the crumbled feta with the red wine vinegar, oregano, garlic powder, S&P and olive oil until the vinaigrette is smooth.

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Some great sounding recieps here. Another one I jsut throw together is a riff on a bottled greek olive salad dressing I used to get once in a while. My store doesn't carry it any longer, so now I make my own.

8 oz container Greek Yogurt
    1/2 cup chopped Kalamata olives (more or less or whatever good olives you happen to have)
    2 oz feta crumbled
    2 tbsp red onion minced

Blend the yogurt, onion and feta in a food processor, add the olives and pulse until they are combined, but you can see flecks of black. Chill for an hour.

• Georgysmom
    13 years ago

This is one of my favorite salads

Elegant Salad

1 head Romaine, torn into pieces
    1 head of Bibb, torn into pieces
    1 tomato, peeled and chopped
    1 14 oz. can hearts of palm, drained, rinsed and sliced
    1 14 oz. can artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed and halved

Lemon-Mustard Dressing:

6 T. oil
    1 tsp. sugar
    1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
    1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
    2 1/2 T. fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp. salt
    1 small clove garlic, crushed

Combine ingredients and refrigerate ( 4-6 servings)

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

My favorite quickie yummy salad is:

Pregnancy Salad Romaine hearts
    1/2 bunch watercress (I rarely have this on hand)
    Cup chopped walnuts
    1 can sliced water chestnuts
    4 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
    Balsamic vinaigrette (I just use 3 to 1 EVOO & balsamic with a dash of garlic)

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Cathy - not sure why your salad is called "Pregnancy Salad" but I'm pretty sure someone who is pregnant shouldn't be eating Gorgonzola unless it is pasturized.

"Avoid unpasteurized foods
    Many low-fat dairy products " such as skim milk, mozzarella cheese and cottage cheese " can be a healthy part of your diet. But anything containing unpasteurized milk is a no-no. These products may lead to food-borne illness."

Unless these soft cheeses are clearly labeled as being made with pasteurized milk, don't eat:

■Brie
    ■Feta
    ■Camembert
    ■Blue cheese
    ■Mexican-style cheeses, such as queso blanco, queso fresco and panela

Here is a link that might be useful: What not to eat during pregnancy

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok Cathy. Share! Why IS that salad called Pregnancy salad. Am I going to get pregnant if I eat it?

• katefisher
    13 years ago

If you feel like deviating from a greens based salad you may consider one called Mimi's Cornbread Salad. I took this to a friends for Thanksgiving and it was great. We really loved it. Also it makes a really good quantity so is excellent for a crowd.

Not what you asked for I know but if not this time perhaps another occasion. Hope this helps. Putting a link to my thread on the topic from last year.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Salad thread

• lowspark
    13 years ago

Here's a bleu cheese recipe I just copied out of a cookbook. I have NOT tried it yet but it sounds pretty good.

Bleu Cheese Dressing
    Williams-Sonoma Cooking at Home

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
    1 clove garlic, crushed and minced
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 oz bleu cheese
    1/3 cup olive oil

Whisk together the vinegar, Worcestershire, mustard, garlic, s&p. Mash in the cheese. Whisk in the oil to form a thick dressing. Makes about 1 cup.

• gellchom
    13 years ago

Oh, boy, do I hear you. For some reason, I've never been good at salads. I hear people talking about how much they enjoy chopping up the vegetables -- not me!

Ruthanna, I'm going to try that lemon spinach salad. It sounds great.

Here is the salad that changed my life, salad-wise. It's delicious, a little special, and unlike any other leafy salad I can think of, the leftovers keep nicely. I love to eat it with breakfast, too.

I got it from Betty Rosbottom's "For the Gourmet" column in the Columbus Dispatch a couple of years ago and we have eaten it many times since. I even started growing kale, we like it so much!

KALE SALAD WITH PINE NUTS AND GOLDEN RAISINS
    Makes 4 servings (sez she; I think more)

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    2 teaspoons maple syrup
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    Scant 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    6 to 8 ounces kale (I use more; there's plenty of dressing)
    1/4 cup golden raisins
    1/4 cup toasted pine nuts

Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, syrup, mustard, salt, red pepper flakes and black pepper in a nonreactive bowl. (The dressing can be prepared 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature 30 minutes before using.)

Remove and discard the tough stems and center veins from the kale leaves. Then cut the leaves crosswise into 1/2 inch-wide strips to yield 6 cups well-packed kale. (I often just chop up the leaves rather than worry about pretty strips; it's a LOT quicker.)

Place the dressing in a salad bowl and whisk well. Add the kale and toss to coat greens thoroughly with dressing. Divide salad evenly and mound on 4 salad plates. Garnish each serving with raisins and pine nuts. (I like to serve it in a big bowl instead of on individual plates, so I just put the raisins and nuts on top and eventually it all gets tossed together.)

• eandhl
    13 years ago

I don't believe I have ever followed a recipe for a salad, dressing yes. Some of these dressings sound delicious and we love Kale so I will try the Kale salad for sure.

• riverrat1
    13 years ago

This pasta salad is a favorite in our home. Sometimes this is all we eat on a quick night.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups)

Ingredients
    8 cups coarsely chopped spinach leaves
    4 cups hot cooked cavatappi (about 6 ounces uncooked spiral-shaped pasta)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 (19-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, drained
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Asiago cheese
    Fresh ground black pepper (optional)
    Preparation
    Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, and toss well. Sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper, if desired.

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

RE: Pregnancy Salad-I'm sorry that I copied and pasted without editing the title, I usually share it with a different title. I saw it years ago when I worked in Studio City. Legend has it that the salad induced labor. I make it frequently because it's easy and tasty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pregnancy Salad Legend

• ruthanna_gw
    13 years ago

Thanks to everyone for some tempting salad recipes. I didn't have kale on hand but couldn't wait to try gellchom's recipe with the pine nuts and raisins so made it with slivered raw spinach leaves instead. DH scraped the bottom of the bowl to get every last bit of it. It's a winner!

• gellchom
    13 years ago

I'm glad you all liked it as much as we do, ruthanna. It's my fave. I bet you'll like it even better with kale; it has a little pepperiness to it that kicks it up a notch and goes perfectly with the maple-mustard-red pepper-lemon dressing. I just use a whole bunch from the store, which I think is more than the recipe calls for.

Who ever thought that I would be good at SALAD, of all things -- it's always what I told people to bring when they offered, because I knew I was no good at it. Not anymore. You're never too old to get your confidence at something new!

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We love, love, love Kale.

I will definitely be trying that recipe and in the meantime you all have givien me some wonderful suggestions.

Maybe like gelchom, I will be good at salad too.

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

Thanks L2c46, for asking the question! There are some amazing salads posted here which I'll be more than happy to try.

Thanks too, to Nancy for your 1000 Island dressing recipe!

• John Liu
    13 years ago

The salmon skin grapefruit salad I mentioned:

I found out tonight that deep-frying the skin works well too.