Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swedish yellow peas.

Posted by barnmom (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 26, 10 at 16:02

I was in Ikea and saw a bag of dried yellow peas. Since Alice loves split pea soup I thought these would be fun to try. They aren't split, though, they are whole. Are they different than yellow split peas? The link is to the brand of peas I purchased.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lars Own

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swedish yellow peas.

If they are what I am thinking, they are the same, just have the skins on. I use them to make French Canadian Pea Soup, when I can find them.

o

Here's a recipe from the cookbook "Swedish Recipes Old and New" Published by American Daughters of Sweden. That was interesting how the yellow peas was prepared on Thursday. You can find the story at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pea_soup

-Grainlady

YELLOW PEA SOUP WITH PORK
(Arter med Flask)

1-lb. whole yellow peas
4 quarts cold water
1-lb. fresh pork shoulder
1 T. salt

1. Wash and drain peas thoroughly. Add 4 quarts water, cover and let soak overnight.

2. In the morning put on to cook in same water. Let come to simmering point. Skim off shells flaoting on top. Cover tightly and simmer 3 hours.

3. Cut pork into pieces and add to soup. Add salt. Continue simmering until peas and pork are tender, about 1 hour.

Yield: 8-10 servings

Note: For additional flavor, marjoram or pieces of ginger root may be added while soup is cooking or prepared mustard may be stirred into soup just before serving.

o

Thanks! I let them soak a day in the refrigerator. I'm going to make the soup today. The recipe on the package is very similar to the recipe you posted. It also mentions that it is a traditional Thursday supper meal throughout Sweden.

The package recipe says to dump the soaking water and makes no mention of skimming off the floating skins.

I would like it with pork but Alice refuses pork these days. Maybe because she raised a cute pink pig for the fair last summer? I have some chicken stock in the freezer and chicken sausages I will use instead.

I'll report back later tonight.

o

The soup is good. I like the flavor of these peas better than regular split green peas. More subtle. I didn't follow the traditional recipe as I didn't use pork. I used homemade chicken stock, 4 sliced chicken-apple sausages, a few diced stalks of celery, a couple of diced carrots, a chopped yellow onion, a couple of bay leaves and a 1/2 teaspoon of thyme. I also didn't skim the skins, it was bothersome and I figure they probably add fiber. They have cooked to a softened state. Yum! Simple comfort food for this rainy day.

o

This is a delicious and very different pea soup. I don't know where I got the recipe, so I apologize if it was from someone on this forum and I've failed to give credit.
Since it calls for split peas, you might want to soak the whole peas for a couple of hours first.

Yellow Split Pea Soup with Spiced Yogurt

2 T. butter or 1 Tbl each butter and oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1" piece of ginger, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt

Saute the above in the butter and oil. When onions are transparent, add 1/2 tsp cumin seed and 3 whole cloves. Stir and cook 3-4 minutes.

Add 1 2/3 c. Yellow split peas
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
6 c. water, chicken or vegetable stock

Cook 45-60 minutes or until peas are soft. Puree soup, return to stove and add more liquid in needed. Season with salt, grated peel and juice of 1 lemon.

Serve with the following to drizzle over top:

1/2 c. yogurt
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp cumin
pinch salt

o

This soup recipe sounds really good.

My yellow peas were more like garbanzo beans than peas, very large and very hard. I soaked them for 24 hours and they probably could have used a longer soak than that with no harm.

I will get some regular yellow split peas for this recipe when we are ready for more pea soup. Clipping and saving.

o

These peas do have a different, more delicate flavor and
are not split. They have to soak overnight. I haven't noticed
any skins floating on the soup ; they seem to stay on the peas
but they aren't tough or chewy in any way. I have made the soup
with a leftover Christmas ham bone and I like it better than the version
I used to make with green split peas. Also, make a vegan version with
veggie broth. Courtesy of Lindsay Nixon ("The Happy Herbivore")
I learned to add a teaspoon of tomato paste, half teaspoon of smoked paprika ,and a dash of pure maple syrup, replacing the ham taste nicely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here